Author

Topic: Newbie restrictions - page 163. (Read 442041 times)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0
December 25, 2012, 07:10:44 PM
I wish I'd known about the 4 hour restriction last month when I started browsing the forums!  I only found out when I had something interesting to post.

hah, I'm in the same boat. Wish I had been logged in all that time.

Check out the whitelist request topic.  Explain the situation, they may take pity! https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/whitelist-requests-want-out-of-here-15911

Activity: 2
December 25, 2012, 03:28:41 PM
Due to a mass of trolling, only established posters are able to post in non-newbie sections. You are considered "established" if you have spent 4 hours online and have made 5 posts (new topics or replies).

If you have really good posts, you can post a request for preemptive whitelisting in the appropriate topic.

Also:
- Newbies cannot upload their own avatars.
- You must have made one post in order to send PMs.
- You need 10 posts to put a link in your signature.

Note that it may take up to 10 minutes for your PM or posting permissions to be granted. (The system automatically checks every 10 minutes and promotes people as appropriate.)

Excellent sticky, Was wondering what the restriction changes were..
Activity: 7
December 25, 2012, 03:10:34 PM
I wish I'd known about the 4 hour restriction last month when I started browsing the forums!  I only found out when I had something interesting to post.

hah, I'm in the same boat. Wish I had been logged in all that time.
Activity: 11
December 25, 2012, 02:18:04 PM
Activity: 30
December 25, 2012, 11:00:57 AM
...and finally post #5 for me  Smiley
Activity: 2
December 25, 2012, 12:35:03 AM
readed and understood.

Cheesy
Activity: 28
December 25, 2012, 12:03:30 AM
Activity: 9
December 24, 2012, 04:57:04 PM
Four hours woohoo!!
Activity: 472
Merit: 250
Never spend your money before you have it.
December 24, 2012, 03:36:11 PM
I guess that's not so unreasonable.
Activity: 8
December 24, 2012, 02:38:06 PM
good idea. set auto pm for newly registered
about this restriction
Activity: 695
Merit: 500
December 24, 2012, 05:50:56 AM
It was a bit confusing making my account, because the only indication that I'm not able to post anywhere except here was the description of this board. (I made an account because I wanted to leave feedback on another thread, but now I have to dick around for a while and B.S. 5 posts about whatever before I can do that.)

This kind of system is annoying to people who don't necessarily want to invest themselves in becoming regular users, and visit various forums for specific one-off purposes. If I became a regular user of every forum I have ever visited for some reason or another, I would have thousands of accounts, no job, and also be dead. This is an absurd and irritating and generally terrible solution to a problem you seem to think is somehow unique. (Oh no we're getting trolled on the Internet block everything.) […]

I agree. This kind of system attracts stupid people with too much time on their hands and makes it difficult for people who have a life.
legendary
Activity: 905
Merit: 1011
December 24, 2012, 03:49:21 AM
AHHH now I see why I cant post anywhere else  Tongue

It might be nice if every newly registered account got an automatic PM that explains the restrictions in the OP and gives a link to this sub-forum.

If any mods are reading this, I can vouch for Impaler. He's been an active, positive contributor to the Freicoin community.
Activity: 826
Merit: 250
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
December 24, 2012, 03:21:38 AM
AHHH now I see why I cant post anywhere else  Tongue

It might be nice if every newly registered account got an automatic PM that explains the restrictions in the OP and gives a link to this sub-forum.
Activity: 1
December 23, 2012, 04:56:11 PM
I'm fine with this. Helps protect the site from spambots.

I agree, thanks for the post.
Activity: 28
December 23, 2012, 02:35:23 AM
It was a bit confusing making my account, because the only indication that I'm not able to post anywhere except here was the description of this board. (I made an account because I wanted to leave feedback on another thread, but now I have to dick around for a while and B.S. 5 posts about whatever before I can do that.)

This kind of system is annoying to people who don't necessarily want to invest themselves in becoming regular users, and visit various forums for specific one-off purposes. If I became a regular user of every forum I have ever visited for some reason or another, I would have thousands of accounts, no job, and also be dead. This is an absurd and irritating and generally terrible solution to a problem you seem to think is somehow unique. (Oh no we're getting trolled on the Internet block everything.)

It would be interesting to see how many people here have exactly 6 posts. It's probably disproportionate.
Activity: 19
December 23, 2012, 01:11:43 AM
I'm fine with this. Helps protect the site from spambots.
Activity: 1
December 22, 2012, 03:43:20 PM
Ahhh finally found this post detailing how long I'm in purgatory...  Makes sense...
Activity: 58
December 22, 2012, 10:19:47 AM
sounds also fair to me Smiley
hello bitcoin world Smiley
Activity: 695
Merit: 500
December 22, 2012, 09:42:58 AM
Bit annoying really, I only wanted to sign up so I could add a comment to an already existing thread that I believe the other posters would of found very helpful, I hate forums that make you jump through hoops. If someone really wants to troll, the restrictions aren't enough to stop anyone for any serious period of time. And only serves to piss off people like myself who would rather just get stuck in and add something of value to a conversation.

That is an operator choice. If they want to catch people who have too much time on their hands and deter people who have a life, then the restrictions here are just right.

As you can guess from the number of people in this forum who proclaim that the restrictions are good and sensible, they also seem to select for people with moderate IQ at best. Smiley
Activity: 9
December 22, 2012, 07:39:20 AM
Bit annoying really, I only wanted to sign up so I could add a comment to an already existing thread that I believe the other posters would of found very helpful, I hate forums that make you jump through hoops.

It's a bit annoying, but I think the forum wants regular posters to be a sort of community not one offs, so in that sense it makes sense.
Jump to: