Author

Topic: Newbie restrictions - page 238. (Read 442041 times)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0
March 15, 2012, 10:36:07 AM
Harsh, but fair.

But it does mean a lot of meaningless posts...
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
March 13, 2012, 11:25:49 PM
Well, the newbie restriction is very annoying ...
I posted also in the Whitelist reqest thread but that didn't help ...
So I'm forced to post 5 posts without sense ...
This just makes the things only worse as every new member has to create new junk stuff to become valid member ...
Don't you think that you might reconsider the rules?
Or create "junk" thread where everybody will post their 5 initial posts? ... But then why that? ... :-(

Yes painful but they prbly have a good reason

Well I see one advantage ... and that's the fact that all the created "junk" is located in the newbie section ... ;-)
You and everyone else who uses this line of reasoning have two major unstated premises.

1. That even after conditioning users that post quality doesn't matter that they will suddenly start posting nothing but quality after 5 posts.
2. That the first 5 posts of a new user are always "junk" and hence should be kept in this forum.

I reject both of those premises.

I would like to see statistics on how many users on this forum have less than 5 posts. On some forums, there is an advantage to signing up even if you have no intention of posting. You can change useful forum settings such as posts per page or PM other members for direct conversations. That's isn't the case with this forum as the first isn't implemented or available and the second is locked out to new users.

Now this is a newbie post with some quality to it.  It doesn't really matter what your opinionof our methods are, of course; but at least you have one.
Activity: 556
Merit: 250
March 13, 2012, 12:06:59 PM
I'm pretty glad I googled this issue, I couldn't find an FAQ topic on the issue anywhere.
Nim
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
March 12, 2012, 10:44:44 AM
This just makes the things only worse as every new member has to create new junk stuff to become valid member ...
Or create "junk" thread where everybody will post their 5 initial posts? ... But then why that? ... :-(

Well I see one advantage ... and that's the fact that all the created "junk" is located in the newbie section ... ;-)
You and everyone else who uses this line of reasoning have two major unstated premises.

1. That even after conditioning users that post quality doesn't matter that they will suddenly start posting nothing but quality after 5 posts.
2. That the first 5 posts of a new user are always "junk" and hence should be kept in this forum.

I reject both of those premises.

I would like to see statistics on how many users on this forum have less than 5 posts. On some forums, there is an advantage to signing up even if you have no intention of posting. You can change useful forum settings such as posts per page or PM other members for direct conversations. That isn't the case with this forum as the first isn't implemented or available and the second is locked out to new users.
Activity: 34
March 12, 2012, 02:14:38 AM
I'd much rather do my time and be paroled into a relatively spam-free board than deal with being prison sexed on a regular basis by a bunch of morons.  Granted, a dedicated spammer can just make five posts that sound halfway decent to be promoted to a level where they can just dump mindless BS on my head, but whatever.  At least it helps.
Activity: 6
March 11, 2012, 10:30:47 PM
The Rules are ok, im also a newbe. So the rules protect us all.
Activity: 134
Merit: 100
March 11, 2012, 07:18:46 PM
yes, this 5 post rule is not so good. I understand the 4 hours rule, but why the 5 posts??
Activity: 28
March 11, 2012, 04:28:39 PM
Do you realize that you could remove about 65% of your spam if you simply banned Matthew N. Wright and Phinnaeus Gage?

Edit: After reading more of both of their posts it seems like they are paid forum plugs to keep the activity hot. One is overly nice and one overly rude but both work together on occasion.
Activity: 7
March 11, 2012, 05:08:45 AM
I doubt the post requirement alone would have any effect as you could just fill it by spamming.

But having to lurk around the forum for 4 hours straight might indeed put most trolls off.
Activity: 159
March 09, 2012, 08:04:25 PM

Activity: 45
March 09, 2012, 08:02:37 PM

Activity: 159
March 09, 2012, 08:00:14 PM
Activity: 45
March 09, 2012, 07:18:46 PM

Hello, first post  Grin
Activity: 69
March 09, 2012, 11:16:50 AM
I have 10 hours, but don't write new post in other threads! Why???

Need four posts too.

thanks! and it my 4 post  Grin

why I don't write post in other  threads???
March 09, 2012, 06:53:27 AM

Need four posts too.

thanks! and it my 4 post  Grin
Activity: 121
March 09, 2012, 03:45:39 AM

Need four posts too.
Activity: 1
March 08, 2012, 11:04:37 PM
ha Smiley new here so just learning the ropes ...i thought i could jump right in but glad i found this post ..thanks
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
March 08, 2012, 07:55:08 PM
Have 4 hours in and few post. Still nothing unlocks?!

Guess it's for the best. People with too much time on their hands end up wasting all of ours.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
March 08, 2012, 07:52:31 PM
I realy should have read the restrictions. I've been trying for an hour to talk about my new Butterfly Labs Single. I'm not terribly "new" to bitcoins as my rigs are 29GH combined right now
March 08, 2012, 03:45:20 PM
Jump to: