Author

Topic: Newbie restrictions - page 240. (Read 442041 times)

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128
March 06, 2012, 03:16:17 AM

And spending ANY time reading posts in this forum IS?

If there is truly nothing on this entire forum that interests you then why are you here?
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
March 05, 2012, 04:21:05 PM
It would be nice if this thread, or at least the information it contains, was visible in the "Help" section.

But that's not a big of a deal. I search on google "bitcointalk unable to post pm". And found quick response.
Nim
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
March 05, 2012, 04:04:21 PM

The whitelisting idea is more useful IMO, or moderate the first ten posts (albeit this option is more time intensive), this way the first posts will be meaningful.

That really doesn't sound like a productive use of our time.
And spending ANY time reading posts in this forum IS? I'm a member of perhaps a hundred forums and I've never seen a policy like this. I've seen sites restrict users from Classifieds with a similar system but that again is also a stupid policy as it just results in a bunch of crap posts. You are not any more prone to trolls or spammers than any other forum. The most draconian forum I am a member of, http://corner-carvers.com/forums/ , allows anyone to post anywhere but if you post crap, you get banned. I don't agree with that approach but at least there you end up with a forum filled with content with very little noise. All you have done here is put a tiny little noise buffer that just annoys your would be users. It absolutely boggles my mind that you guys want this currency to spread but yet you make joining a discussion forum unnecessarily difficult. This policy is almost certainly hurting rather than helping your cause. Look at the big picture.
Activity: 1
March 05, 2012, 06:47:30 AM
Smart system to keep trolls out!
Activity: 88
Gliding...
March 05, 2012, 03:46:50 AM
I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this, but this is an incredibly dumb policy.

I hunted around for ages looking for the "reply" button on the regular forum, which doesn't say anything about why you can't post there. Then posted my question here, where nobody who could answer it could see it.

Bah. Suppose I'll have to make some fairly pointless comments on other threads and increase the noise-to-signal level too.

I have 4 hours & 8 minutes and nothing.
Why?
Activity: 88
Gliding...
March 05, 2012, 03:44:52 AM
Due to a mass of trolling, only established posters are able to post in non-newbie sections. You are considered "established" if you have spent 4 hours online and have made 5 posts.

If you have really good posts, you can post a request for preemptive whitelisting in the appropriate topic.

Also:
- You must have made one post in order to send PMs.
- You need 10 posts to put a link in your signature.

Note that it may take up to 10 minutes for your PM or posting permissions to be granted.

Interesting, but there is no interesting subject in newbis threed.  :-(

Panda Mouse.
Activity: 412
Merit: 250
Bitcoin is the Future of currency
March 05, 2012, 03:26:40 AM
And now we have to wait to post in the other boards..

Yes . wait ....wait ... 4 hours is not a big time ...
Activity: 42
March 05, 2012, 01:41:16 AM
And now we have to wait to post in the other boards..
Activity: 2
March 04, 2012, 04:39:42 PM
I just joined hoping to learn more about bitcoins.
Activity: 2
March 04, 2012, 11:08:50 AM
I spent an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't post before... the admin of this board should make it more obvious.
Activity: 253
Merit: 100
March 03, 2012, 09:20:34 PM
Lmao, was searching for the new thread button as well till i found this post.  Cheesy

Nevertheless, hello fellow miners  Smiley
Activity: 352
Merit: 250
https://www.realitykeys.com
March 03, 2012, 01:27:22 AM
I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this, but this is an incredibly dumb policy.

I hunted around for ages looking for the "reply" button on the regular forum, which doesn't say anything about why you can't post there. Then posted my question here, where nobody who could answer it could see it.

Bah. Suppose I'll have to make some fairly pointless comments on other threads and increase the noise-to-signal level too.
Activity: 31
March 02, 2012, 06:08:42 PM
Are posts not moderated, or only post factoHuh
Activity: 31
March 02, 2012, 12:44:14 AM
My time accrual issues seem to have been an issue with Firefox. I switched to chrome and began getting 1:1 time gains. With firefox I was getting about 3 minutes for 10 minutes on.
Activity: 4
March 01, 2012, 07:12:25 PM
this is great!
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128
March 01, 2012, 05:21:16 PM

The whitelisting idea is more useful IMO, or moderate the first ten posts (albeit this option is more time intensive), this way the first posts will be meaningful.

That really doesn't sound like a productive use of our time.
Activity: 5
March 01, 2012, 09:22:05 AM
and i kept looking for the reply button Tongue
Activity: 226
March 01, 2012, 01:22:06 AM
Due to a mass of trolling, only established posters are able to post in non-newbie sections. You are considered "established" if you have spent 4 hours online and have made 5 posts.

If you have really good posts, you can post a request for preemptive whitelisting in the appropriate topic.

Also:
- You must have made one post in order to send PMs.
- You need 10 posts to put a link in your signature.

Note that it may take up to 10 minutes for your PM or posting permissions to be granted.

That seems reasonable to me. I mean, ten posts shouldn't be that difficult, considering there are thousands of threads to choose from.
Activity: 1
February 29, 2012, 11:12:54 PM
I suppose that's reasonable, thnx.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
February 29, 2012, 08:13:29 PM
Creating a minimum post count just make people post more useless posts.

- Yeah, you're right.
- You are correct.
- Good decision.

What about sticking to time spend on forum and one post so people can present themselves?

Sure, but they are only here in the newbies section.  See how that works?
Jump to: