Author

Topic: Newbie restrictions - page 323. (Read 442041 times)

Activity: 170
Merit: 10
June 15, 2011, 09:49:37 PM
i know spam can be hard, but this makes it a bit of a pain in the ass for new members to jump through these hurdles, esp if for example i have been watching the forums for some time and now want to register to pm someone.
Activity: 10
Merit: 2
June 15, 2011, 09:04:54 PM
Reading through all these newbie messages .. most of them aren't worth reading and in some sense, weren't worth writing in the first place. That doesn't make much sense to me. That's just adding more noise to signal.

However, the best newbie messages I've read were constructed in the form of what that user would LIKE to post, and generally those messages bother to cite the messages they are interested in. I guess that's good etiquette.  I truly am a newbie. I generally detest forums, and I couldn't begin to tell you if 5 or 50 messages is best. I can understand why experienced forum members get sick of going over the same stuff, over and over. I think some systems just make newbie messages invisible. Maybe that's better.

I guess it all comes down to "proof of work" doesn't it?

Q: How many bitcoin miners does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: None, a light bulb is just another electrical cost and heat source. Besides, look at all these LEDs!
Activity: 332
Merit: 250
June 15, 2011, 08:41:07 PM
Great edit.   Smiley
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
June 15, 2011, 08:24:11 PM
Not that anyone cares what i think as a newbie, who is also interested in getting my requisite posts in, but as a moderator elsewhere, I can see using some kind of newbie restrictions on a forum that deals with much controversy as well as all kinds of haters and spammers.

l8r
Activity: 28
June 15, 2011, 08:15:43 PM
Hmm..well I for one do not post a lot. I just browse and read..for information that I may be seeking. It would have taken me a month or two just to hit the 50 post mark. I already have a few questions for some of the more knowledgable individuals and I am happy that I may get to ask them sooner.
Activity: 27
June 15, 2011, 08:11:07 PM
The whole board is slow enough, forcing people to spam five posts isn't really helping performance I guess...
I really have no intrest in spamming up this Forum, making it harder for real newbies to find what they're looking for. So sorry for this post guys...
Activity: 280
Merit: 100
June 15, 2011, 07:55:04 PM
Due to a mass of trolling, only established posters are able to post in non-newbie sections. You are considered "established" if you have spent 4 hours online and have made 5 posts.

If you have really good posts, you can post a request for preemptive whitelisting in the appropriate topic.

Also, you must have made 1 post to send PMs.

I was very pissed off for a second upon registering discovering I couldn't post, but I guess a 5 post barrier isn't so bad.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
June 15, 2011, 05:24:39 PM
Bye bye forum.bitcoin.org.
Activity: 46
June 15, 2011, 05:07:16 PM
Thanks also, makes much sense.
Activity: 32
June 15, 2011, 04:48:13 PM
Hello folks,

this is my fith post.  Smiley
Activity: 98
Merit: 13
The Future of Banking in Southeast Asia
June 15, 2011, 04:40:46 PM
I actually think these restrictions are a bit goofy, but with the growing popularity of bitcoins it will keep from new members flooding in with spam.
Activity: 14
June 15, 2011, 03:22:00 PM
Sounds fair enough to me, 1 post down Grin
Activity: 43
June 15, 2011, 12:24:02 PM
Actually,

I wanted to post a nice informative addition to the topic about taxes in the economics forum. So with this post i hope i'm being allowed to -.-
Activity: 26
June 15, 2011, 12:19:23 PM
IMO such restrictions about minimal amount of messages to post in one section lead only to pollution of that section.
4 Hours is reasonable, though I wonder how it is counted. Is it active time spent browsign the forum?

I guess so - it probably considers the amount of time between you being "active" - i.e., the time spent between one click and another, up to a limit. Definitely does not consider the time the window stays minimized or just opened and not being actively surfed.

It's kind of bothering, since I've spent *a lot* of time lurking and only have like, ~2h40 registered.
Activity: 178
June 15, 2011, 11:57:59 AM
what about increasing the time requirement, but obliviating the min. posts? apparently i'm not the only one who likes reading this board but doesn't post... (if it's straightforward to measure the time users spend actually reading the board, not just having it open in a minimized browser)
Activity: 14
June 15, 2011, 11:51:25 AM
It's not to reasonable IMHO.
I have read the forum not registering on it for nearly a month and now I have decided to post. But can`t  Angry
Activity: 7
June 15, 2011, 10:58:08 AM
Seems like a reasonable precaution, although now I have to think of something to post so that I can ask that questions I need to ask in the other threads.  I'm more of a lurker than a contributor.
Activity: 674
Merit: 500
June 15, 2011, 09:26:50 AM
IMO such restrictions about minimal amount of messages to post in one section lead only to pollution of that section.
4 Hours is reasonable, though I wonder how it is counted. Is it active time spent browsign the forum?
Activity: 12
June 15, 2011, 08:43:49 AM
I need to reply to 5 posts in the Newbies section in order to post normally?

On what can I reply?
Activity: 13
June 15, 2011, 06:38:20 AM
Lol, restrictions implemented only a couple days ago? Ha, Figures I always discover new stuff right after restrictions are inserted and I have to take time to prove my loyalty and non-destructive ways to be a participating member. I guess its good for the community, so be it.
Jump to: