Pages:
Author

Topic: [NOW AVAILABLE] BTChip / Ledger HW1 : Bitcoin Hardware Wallet in a USB smartcard - page 11. (Read 62446 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
It looks like Visual Studio is missing - maybe a free version can work

Roll Eyes Huh

~~MZ~~
Activity: 623
Merit: 500
CTO, Ledger
It looks like Visual Studio is missing - maybe a free version can work
Need help installing cython-hidapi. Smiley

CMD output - Windows7.

Code:
C:\Users\usrname\Downloads\Compressed\cython-hidapi-master>python setup.py install

running install
running build
running build_ext
skipping 'hid.c' Cython extension (up-to-date)
building 'hid' extension
error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

C:\Users\usrname\Downloads\Compressed\cython-hidapi-master>

~~MZ~~
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024
ok - think I got it now.

The chip stores your unencrypted mnemonic - it doesn't need to encrypt it as everything related to private keys is processed internally.

If you encrypt your mnemonic, you'll end up with a different mnemonic, which decodes to the same seed as the first mnemonic after you provide the password.

so the chip, the unencrypted mnemonic, and the encrypted mnemonic + associated password are generating the same wallet.

Yea, that is what I am pretty sure it is doing; but never heard of this happening with anyone else. It didn't ask me if I wanted another mnemonic to encrypt the original with a password, it just did it and showed me a second mnemonic. Was very confusing because then it asked me to confirm the mnemonic with five words and the second one was wrong, had to use the first one. Good thing I backed up both of them.  Shocked
CTO, Ledger
ok - think I got it now.

The chip stores your unencrypted mnemonic - it doesn't need to encrypt it as everything related to private keys is processed internally.

If you encrypt your mnemonic, you'll end up with a different mnemonic, which decodes to the same seed as the first mnemonic after you provide the password.

so the chip, the unencrypted mnemonic, and the encrypted mnemonic + associated password are generating the same wallet.
legendary
I have a question about setup with Green Address wallet. I went through procedure to setup my BTCHIP HW1. It generated a mnemonic and I told it to write it to the card.

This part looks allright

All seemed to work okay but after that setting up the HW1 it showed me another mnemonic and told me to keep that one also. I was puzzled why I had two and which one was good so I save both. Then when it told me to confirm the mnemonic by entering five words, the five words that worked were from the first mnemonic written to the HW1.

This is the weird part, I don't understand where this second mnemonic is coming from. It looks like you restarted the setup part at some point.

But if I use Green Address wallet without the HW1 and use the second mnemonic and password I entered I get the same wallet addresses. Is this normal behavior or did I do something wrong. I find it strange that two very different mnemonic can result in the exact same wallet.

Yes, it should not happen. My guess is that you're still using a password associated to the first mnemonic (which is also written to the chip) so the second mnemonic is never used. That doesn't explain what is is though - maybe you can retrace everything you did.

One chip holds only 1 address seed or it can hold more than 1??

only a single seed

I think it can only hold 1 mnemonic. You will need to wipe to get a new mnemonic.

~~MZ~~

correct

No. Because if I use the second mnemonic without the HW1 it tells me to enter password for encrypted mnemonic and opens same wallet. HW1 with pin opens same wallet. I just did wallet setup step by step and after saving first mnemonic to card showed me a second one. Not a second wallet. They open the same wallet.
CTO, Ledger
I have a question about setup with Green Address wallet. I went through procedure to setup my BTCHIP HW1. It generated a mnemonic and I told it to write it to the card.

This part looks allright

All seemed to work okay but after that setting up the HW1 it showed me another mnemonic and told me to keep that one also. I was puzzled why I had two and which one was good so I save both. Then when it told me to confirm the mnemonic by entering five words, the five words that worked were from the first mnemonic written to the HW1.

This is the weird part, I don't understand where this second mnemonic is coming from. It looks like you restarted the setup part at some point.

But if I use Green Address wallet without the HW1 and use the second mnemonic and password I entered I get the same wallet addresses. Is this normal behavior or did I do something wrong. I find it strange that two very different mnemonic can result in the exact same wallet.

Yes, it should not happen. My guess is that you're still using a password associated to the first mnemonic (which is also written to the chip) so the second mnemonic is never used. That doesn't explain what is is though - maybe you can retrace everything you did.

only a single seed

I think it can only hold 1 mnemonic. You will need to wipe to get a new mnemonic.

~~MZ~~

correct
What do you mean "wait for btchip to come?" I already have the chips. I want to know if safe to unplug from usb without ejecting it first. I cannot find a way to eject it like you can for a usb drive or other usb devices. Cannot find it in device mgr either but it works with green wallet.

I mean user 'btchip'. Smiley

~~MZ~~
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
legendary
I have a question about setup with Green Address wallet. I went through procedure to setup my BTCHIP HW1. It generated a mnemonic and I told it to write it to the card. All seemed to work okay but after that setting up the HW1 it showed me another mnemonic and told me to keep that one also. I was puzzled why I had two and which one was good so I save both. Then when it told me to confirm the mnemonic by entering five words, the five words that worked were from the first mnemonic written to the HW1. But if I use Green Address wallet without the HW1 and use the second mnemonic and password I entered I get the same wallet addresses. Is this normal behavior or did I do something wrong. I find it strange that two very different mnemonic can result in the exact same wallet.
CTO, Ledger
yes, it is safe to unplug it when you feel like it. This is only a problem for mass storage sticks because the system might have some write cache.
legendary
When I put the key into a USB port on my Windows 8.1 machine I hear the computer beep but I cannot find the device in device manager and it is not on the list for the hardware ejector. Is it listed somewhere and possible to eject? Or is it just okay to remove it without being able to stop it first?

There is no need of drivers in Win8 but you might want to try installing win drivers. Just try it or wait for btchip to come. Smiley

~~MZ~~

What do you mean "wait for btchip to come?" I already have the chips. I want to know if safe to unplug from usb without ejecting it first. I cannot find a way to eject it like you can for a usb drive or other usb devices. Cannot find it in device mgr either but it works with green wallet.
When I put the key into a USB port on my Windows 8.1 machine I hear the computer beep but I cannot find the device in device manager and it is not on the list for the hardware ejector. Is it listed somewhere and possible to eject? Or is it just okay to remove it without being able to stop it first?

There is no need of drivers in Win8 but you might want to try installing win drivers. Just try it or wait for btchip to come. Smiley

~~MZ~~
legendary
CTO, Ledger
Is the following correct?
- you can write a seed towards the btchip
- you cannot read a seed from the btchip.
- signing the tx is done on the chip.

Thanks in advance

yes exactly
Activity: 191
Merit: 100
Is the following correct?
- you can write a seed towards the btchip
- you cannot read a seed from the btchip.
- signing the tx is done on the chip.

Thanks in advance
CTO, Ledger
Can I use HW1 on multiple computers and devices using the same wallet balances, etc?

yes. It only holds the private keys and the associated balances are synchronized by the host computer.
legendary
Can I use HW1 on multiple computers and devices using the same wallet balances, etc? Or can it only be used on one computer or device at a time?
Activity: 692
Thanks for the quick reply to my PM, I see it has been posted.

Edit : Order arrived safely today, thank you very much  Cheesy
Edit 2 : works perfectly with greenaddress and with Trezor 2.0beta (requiring a wipe when switching from one to the other)
Edit 3 : using /python-trezor/mnemonic_check.py to generate a 24 word mnemonic, then loading it on Trezor (./cmdtr.py load_device) and btchip (electrum 2.0 beta).  Both devices generate the same HD address tree.
Edit 4 : Make sure you are running Chrome 38 or above for Greenaddress.
CTO, Ledger
Are we supposed to have received email confirmation for a completed order ?

No

I made payment 7 days ago, and never received email confirmation. I made payment with electrum immediately, before the countdown timer expired. The browser screen never updated to say payment confirmed.

This happens sometimes. The best thing to do is to let me know immediately - but no order is lost.

I don't have a screenshot of that browser window, I don't have a transaction ID and you use some strange BitID without the manual login option so I cannot BitID login from my address to check the order.

That wouldn't help if you didn't register it anyway, so you can PM me your payment address,  and I can tell you your order reference.
Pages:
Jump to: