Pages:
Author

Topic: [NOW AVAILABLE] BTChip / Ledger HW1 : Bitcoin Hardware Wallet in a USB smartcard - page 13. (Read 62446 times)

Activity: 850
Merit: 331
This is one way if you use the mnemonic passphrase offered by the app and then you write it to the btchip, with the button "Write to a hardware wallet"

But you can click in the arrows button at the bottom-right of the mnemonic passphrase (then you can see "Click to use hardware wallet seed instead", see picture above ) and then the seed will only be stored in the btchip. You have to configure your Btchip or empty it if was previously used, (be carefull if already have another seed in this btchip you will lose all)

Then you can login with the btchip, if you lose the btchip you will lose all of course, for me it's easier to lose the btchip with my car keys than to lose a seed phase written in a paper and stored properly.

Nobody explain it but I think this works that way, if I'm wrong please correct me show me a user manual and then I won't have to suppose how.

Regards  

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Can someone explain to me how this improves the security of GreenAddress. As I am new to BTChip and GreenAddress.

Process to use GreenAddress/BTChip
a) The GreenAddress seed is generated on the live machine.
b) I store a backup of the seed and notedown PIN
c) A copy of the seed is written to the BTChip
d) BTChip is able to sign transactions
e) However, the GreenAddress login can easily be done using the PIN. (without the need for a seed or BTChip). So, I assume the Green address seed is being stored somewhere on my PC.
f) Even if you were to use the BTChip for login. The mnemonic can be easily accessed from the Green address GUI, once the login is accomplished. If it can be accessed using the GUI, I assume the malware can access it as well.
I'll pass it to GreenAddress to investigate. Did you create the seed on the device or externally ? Should not have any consequence though.

The seed was created with chrome app and then stored on the device (I have seed and ecncrypted seed) , so I can login without the device and when I try to login with the device I have the problem.

After that I've created a new wallet only hardware wallet seed and now I can login with this new wallet and the old one. So I think the problem was the seed stored that way or the app have problems having same wallet in both systems.
Activity: 623
Merit: 500
CTO, Ledger
I'll pass it to GreenAddress to investigate. Did you create the seed on the device or externally ? Should not have any consequence though.
Hi I got some problems trying to login with BTChip option, in Chrome app, sometimes I get an unknown error and no % in access button and sometimes I get " an error force to close your session" or so , and access button reach 100%.

Regards
CTO, Ledger
Yes, you can skip the X - it just marks the end of the seed, making sure you got everything (I'll update the documentation regarding that)

Then you can use any PIN you want - the PIN protects access to the dongle and is not related to the seed in any way
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
You are giving me some hope here, as I did in fact save the seed it spit out into my text editor.

I will give this approach a test once I setup python on this machine.

I wasn't clear if you meant I should use the pin as 1234 or if I should replace that with the pin I created as well.

Also, I thought the seed was hexadecimal, however the last character is an X. >_<

The whole string except the last character is hex; is this normal?
CTO, Ledger
If you kept the seed backup, yes, it can be recovered. I don't understand how you're reaching that state though (other than by typing invalid PINs in a row).

Are you confortable with Python ?

Here's how you can restore the seed to a dongle with Python after installing https://github.com/btchip/btchip-python and replacing YOUR_SEED by your hexadecimal seed backup, with PIN 1234

Code:
from btchip.btchip import *
from btchip.btchipUtils import *

SEED = bytearray("YOUR_SEED".decode('hex'))

dongle = getDongle(True)
app = btchip(dongle)
app.setup(btchip.OPERATION_MODE_WALLET, btchip.FEATURE_RFC6979|btchip.FEATURE_NO_2FA_P2SH, 0x00, 0x05, "1234", None, btchip.QWERTY_KEYMAP, SEED)

Use the same dongle and if it doesn't work please provide the commands log

also, GreenAddress will add a mechanism to log on with the raw seed and restore the seed to a dongle, so you can directly do it from the web interface.

bottom line, if you keep your seed, your money is never lost.
Yup, the frigging thing is... god damn.

0.1BTC up in smoke because the stupid thing is now acting like it isn't set up. I was in the wallet. I was looking at the transaction that came in. I closed the program, reopened it and now the chip is not set up.

I can even attempt the first steps of setting up the chip and it says it is an empty chip.

Can someone please tell me there is a way to use these seeds to recover my key? I haven't seen anything on this which makes me wonder if it's useless altogether.
And now I am unable to log in. Sad

This is a bummer because I sent myself 0.1 BTC and when I closed the wallet and reopen it, I cannot log in.

I get "Dongle is not setup"

I'm starting to get disappointed here because it's feeling like 0.1 BTC just vanished into thin air.

Is there a way I can recover my private key from the seed? I did save this.
Thanks for the response!

I have absolutely no clue what is going on to be honest. I downloaded Fraps so I could record a video of the whole process for you and received inconsistent behavior during my recording. It didn't work the first time, whereas on the second time it did work (I suspected it was because I removed the chip prior to closing the popup that tells you to insert it in another device prior to removing this time around). So I tried once again thinking the problem was that you need to remove the chip prior to closing the popup; this time I left the chip in before closing the popup expecting it not to work.

But it did work. >_<

In any event it is working for me. I'll keep playing around with it and if the same behavior pops up again, I'll post a video showing the whole process.

Thanks again for the help! Smiley
CTO, Ledger
works for me  Grin

after you ask for the seed generation you'll end up with this screen

you can then click the "confirm" box then continue

(note that if you read the seed on the same computer, you need to disconnect / connect again the dongle after reading the seed)

Are you going through the same steps ?
Activity: 714
Martijn Meijering
Has anyone managed to use the hardware seed with success in Green Address?

I did manage to write my existing seed to a freshly blocked and upgraded dongle, but I haven't tried starting with a dongle that already had a seed on it.
Thought I'd post an update to clarify that I resolved the issue I was having.

I was under the impression when it said the setup was complete... that it was... well, complete. I didn't realize that I had to also continue farther in the process by ticking a box and clicking a button to continue once the hardware was setup. If you abort at the point of only configuring the chip it *will not work*, you need to finish the whole process. This was my goof.

However, I did seem to run into a different snag. In Green Address there is another icon (not pictured in the screen shots posted here) which allows you to use a hardware seed instead of the string of words. The process for configuring the hardware goes smooth, but then it tells you to unplug the chip (so you can backup the seed on another device). At this point, when you put the chip back in and click the button to continue, the process will hang on the logging-you-in part, where it says something about 2FA but just remains frozen saying it is logging you in. I was able to reproduce this each and every time I tried. I suspect there is a problem during this process after it needs you to remove the chip (this is when I suspect the process breaks, when the chip is inserted back in, the app presumably is back to the phase where the hardware is configured but the process wasn't finished so the login fails). It seems to be a catch 22 here.

Has anyone managed to use the hardware seed with success in Green Address?
Sadly, I have not been able to get my BTChip to work. Sad

The setup says everything went fine and that it's ready to use, but when I restart the GreenAddress and try to log in via hardware wallet, it always rejects my pin code. I first tried with a 32 digit number, then a 4 digit; no luck with either. I've reset it various times but no matter what I do, I just cannot log in with it.

I feel caught in a endless cycle of resetting it by pulling it out 3 times, setting it up again and hoping it works. So far no luck.

Anyone else have this issue?
CTO, Ledger
No problem, you can use this thread, especially for information that's useful for everybody.

The second factor is indeed the 64 bytes seed that you can provide in the setup command.

The documentation might not be up to date regarding the final X, I'll have a look - this was added recently
donator
Activity: 919
Merit: 1000
@btchip: do you intend to use this thread also for support, or prefer to be bothered at your dedicated support email address?

I'll start here, since it might be interesting for others - will delete if you prefer it done over other channels.

Received my 2 HW.1 wallets and started playing with them using your btchip-c-api. As a first use case I want to test the recovery of the wallet (e.g. after entering wrong pin 3 times), but fail with interpreting the generated seed. The setup step for a wallet initiated by command
Code:
./btchip_setup "WALLET" "RFC6979" "" "" "31323334" "" "QWERTY" "" "" ""
returns as second factor a 129 digit key, which seems to be a 64 byte hex string followed by a capital X.

Obviously this is not the seed parameter that is expected by the btchip_setup command to restore a wallet.

Not sure if the c-api is kept up-to-date or there is some additional information for developers available (beside the API documentation).

Thanks for feedback.
Activity: 714
Martijn Meijering
This topic exclusive  Grin https://firmwareupdate.hardwarewallet.com - let me know how it goes.

If you have an old firmware, you'll probably need to retry a few times before it works.

It works!!! I had to try it a couple of times, and reset my PC a couple of times, but it did work eventually. I also had to install the modified KryptoKit first in order to be able to block the device by entering an incorrect PIN three times in a row.
CTO, Ledger
Nothing if you received a fresh card - it's a way to update previously distributed test cards (after the San Jose 2013 conference - I still don't have a clean way to update those) to the latest firmware.
copper member
Activity: 3948
Merit: 2201
Verified awesomeness ✔
This topic exclusive  Grin https://firmwareupdate.hardwarewallet.com - let me know how it goes.

If you have an old firmware, you'll probably need to retry a few times before it works.
Firmware update 1.4.10 successful
So, it worked, for me at least, but I could have the latest firmware already, no idea (and I didn't check before updating). What did firmware update include by the way?
Pages:
Jump to: