Pages:
Author

Topic: [NOW AVAILABLE] BTChip / Ledger HW1 : Bitcoin Hardware Wallet in a USB smartcard - page 15. (Read 62446 times)

copper member
Activity: 3948
Merit: 2201
Verified awesomeness ✔
Ah, I see. So, generate a new wallet and let the dongle generate the seed itself. Got it.

EDIT: Sorry for all these questions. Never used hardware wallets in my life.
Activity: 623
Merit: 500
CTO, Ledger
Yes, it will set it up. When you create your account you'll have the option to generate the seed on the dongle.
copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
You should give a try to greenaddress.it Smiley
I am using GreenAddress.it right now (Chrome), but it says that my dongle isn't setup yet, which is why I asked. I want to have everything straight for my review, so that it's fair (and informative as well) Tongue
CTO, Ledger
It's better to do it with GreenAddress or Electrum as this one is going deprecated. GreenAddress (from the Chrome application) should be easier.
staff
Activity: 4256
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
You should give a try to greenaddress.it Smiley
copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
Just a quick question, how do I setup the HW.1 wallet? With the KryptoKit Bitcoin Wallet (Unofficial HW1 BUILD)? I'm assuming it is, but I prefer to be sure.
CTO, Ledger
thanks ! If you're testing on Windows, you'll probably miss the seed the first time it's typed as Windows takes some time to associate the second driver. In this case, just unplug / plug back twice (that's the kind of details that'll be mentioned on the start page)
copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
nicely done, we should package it with fine french knives for the collector edition Grin
Hahaha. You should! It's a great solution Grin
I am glueing it back together with superglue, so it should be fine after this "operation". Well, the drivers worked and my computer did recognize the HW.1 so I am going to do some more testing and write up a review (including pictures + my stupidity) as soon as I am done.
CTO, Ledger
nicely done, we should package it with fine french knives for the collector edition Grin
copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
Yes, the clip is basically what makes it thick enough to stay in the port  Grin

you should be able to clip it back (picture coming soon)
You can clip it back and breaking it off is quite hard. In my defence, I really thought I had to remove it.

It "works"
CTO, Ledger
Yes, the clip is basically what makes it thick enough to stay in the port  Grin

you should be able to clip it back

copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
Uhm, you need to keep the clip on the HW.1? Because well... I broke it off. Lips sealed
CTO, Ledger
Good  Grin sorry the start page is not ready yet, I'm waiting for catchy videos, but GreenAddress setup should be straightforward - in any case don't hesitate to ask around if you're stuck.
First of all, redirect http://start.hardwarewallet.com to the https one. I got a nice error page because I visited the http one Tongue

whoops, done.

Also, I have troubles with keeping the thing inside my USB port... It keeps falling out/losing the connection because it moved. It's not thick enough to stay in..

mmh, that's weird, how did you fold the clip ? do you have some picture ?
copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
Good  Grin sorry the start page is not ready yet, I'm waiting for catchy videos, but GreenAddress setup should be straightforward - in any case don't hesitate to ask around if you're stuck.
First of all, redirect http://start.hardwarewallet.com to the https one. I got a nice error page because I visited the http one Tongue

Also, I have troubles with keeping the thing inside my USB port... It keeps falling out/losing the connection because it moved. It's not thick enough to stay in..
CTO, Ledger
you can use it with any software supporting deterministic wallets and the right derivation path (if you're using GreenAddress or Electrum, you can just restore the seed into a software wallet or another card)
So it just would be to copy the hw1 seed to a already existing electrum wallet when creating one,isn't is?

yes, with some minimal manual work (HW.1 outputs an hexadecimal seed that you'll need to convert to a mnemonic)

I have received my HW.1. I'm installing the drivers as we speak, let's hope this works Grin

copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
I have received my HW.1. I'm installing the drivers as we speak, let's hope this works Grin
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
you can use it with any software supporting deterministic wallets and the right derivation path (if you're using GreenAddress or Electrum, you can just restore the seed into a software wallet or another card)
So it just would be to copy the hw1 seed to a already existing electrum wallet when creating one,isn't is?
CTO, Ledger
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
when is expected to come out an app out of chrome working with btchip?
i think electrum is expected soon
You get an option to read the seed right after it's generated, then you can setup the card (or another card) with a seed you provide yourself.
I mean,imagine I don't have any card and I want to restore the seed,what can I do?
CTO, Ledger
when is expected to come out an app out of chrome working with btchip?
i think electrum is expected soon

It's done already, just not released yet, but it works if you get it from github.

is there any way out of btchip to restore the btchip seed?

You get an option to read the seed right after it's generated, then you can setup the card (or another card) with a seed you provide yourself.
Pages:
Jump to: