Pages:
Author

Topic: [NOW AVAILABLE] BTChip / Ledger HW1 : Bitcoin Hardware Wallet in a USB smartcard - page 14. (Read 62446 times)

Activity: 623
Merit: 500
CTO, Ledger
This topic exclusive  Grin https://firmwareupdate.hardwarewallet.com - let me know how it goes.

If you have an old firmware, you'll probably need to retry a few times before it works.
Activity: 714
Martijn Meijering
the driver part should be fixed, thanks

Thanks! I've installed the new driver, but I'm not sure how to upgrade the firmware with it.
CTO, Ledger
It is telling that order is expired even after sending BTC. Embarrassed Huh Can you tell me why it is showing like that? Is it because of the confirmation? Will it be okay after it get some confirmations? Order reference : 06e84be6-4dfc-454f-8f8f-6be1f368f521 . TX : 0fa9d42f3704b22796cd7c494d0dfa4de236f401de5b9fbc1cb26049ba0e2013. Thanks!

~~MZ~~

yes, that transaction seems weird. Was it "pushed" by blockchain.info ? It seems that's the only reference seeing it.

The firmware update for the 64 bit Windows drivers doesn't work, the zip file appears to be an HTML page saved under the wrong name. I also noticed that the FAQ is out of date, it says that the firmware cannot be updated.

the driver part should be fixed, thanks
Activity: 714
Martijn Meijering
The firmware update for the 64 bit Windows drivers doesn't work, the zip file appears to be an HTML page saved under the wrong name. I also noticed that the FAQ is out of date, it says that the firmware cannot be updated.
Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
It is telling that order is expired even after sending BTC. Embarrassed Huh Can you tell me why it is showing like that? Is it because of the confirmation? Will it be okay after it get some confirmations? Order reference : 06e84be6-4dfc-454f-8f8f-6be1f368f521 . TX : 0fa9d42f3704b22796cd7c494d0dfa4de236f401de5b9fbc1cb26049ba0e2013. Thanks!

~~MZ~~
CTO, Ledger
yes, already in first post, thanks Smiley
Activity: 162
Merit: 100
If you guys are interested I also hve made a personal review of the product here.
CTO, Ledger
Will you ever make an NFC version?

it's very likely. We already have picked a vendor that can do USB + NFC in one single package (our trademark  Cool), and might even have a test form factor. Let's see how popular this can be and how it works (NFC might also not prove to be reliable enough, power stability wise)

If not, there is always Helioscard too.

that might be right when they have a specification, an HD Wallet, deterministic signatures and proof that the card understands what it's signing, at least to be able to use some hard limits such as maximum amount / maximum fees / maximum change if not using a second factor to display the full transaction information (which is totally doable with NFC only if you check the 'open source' link in my signature).

sorry, I have huge respect for Trezor and what they built from the ground up only with community roots, but I'm going to go back to my old trolling self on Helioscard as we obviously come from the same world  Grin
Activity: 994
Merit: 507
If not, there is always Helioscard too.
staff
Activity: 4256
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
CTO, Ledger
it would be great that the hw1 had its own enviroment like trezor with mytrezor

that's not planned - as it, not in a production environment, rather as an integration test. It's good enough to get additional third party wallets support, in my opinion.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
great review bitcoininformation!

it would be great that the hw1 had its own enviroment like trezor with mytrezor
copper member
Activity: 3948
Merit: 2201
Verified awesomeness ✔
I think that unless we find an awesome deal with DHL, UPS, Fedex and the like (which is somewhat unlikely) we'll stick with national post, which means that from my previous experience it's best to stick to the smallest possible package to maximize the chances of quick delivery (or delivery at all - although I'm eagerly waiting for the initial US delivery reports regarding our next decisions) - also it's quite hard to damage the cards, if you're stuck by lightning they'll probably outlive you  Grin
Well, you make a legitimate point there. Shipping can be really expensive and the cards survived the trip to here, so it should be all good. Anyway, do as you think is best and keep it up. You are doing a great job! Grin
CTO, Ledger
I think that unless we find an awesome deal with DHL, UPS, Fedex and the like (which is somewhat unlikely) we'll stick with national post, which means that from my previous experience it's best to stick to the smallest possible package to maximize the chances of quick delivery (or delivery at all - although I'm eagerly waiting for the initial US delivery reports regarding our next decisions) - also it's quite hard to damage the cards, if you're stuck by lightning they'll probably outlive you  Grin
copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
yes it's great  Grin thanks for the trust feedback, I'm not really trusting this feature of the forum given its great history but I guess it can't be harmful Smiley
It's always good to have if you ask me.

fun story about the packaging, as you probably guessed we're trying to ship at the lowest possible cost, which is 20 grams. Everything was made to reach that ... and we ended up at 21 grams. Which means more soul for the product, but also more failure  Undecided
I did guess that yes and damn, that must have sucked when you found out it was just 1 gram to heavy. Not sure what you could do to decrease the weight even more, I would even recommend to increase the weight by adding some stuffing to it. Mail is not always handled like it should. But well, that is my personal opinion Tongue
CTO, Ledger
yes it's great  Grin thanks for the trust feedback, I'm not really trusting this feature of the forum given its great history but I guess it can't be harmful Smiley

fun story about the packaging, as you probably guessed we're trying to ship at the lowest possible cost, which is 20 grams. Everything was made to reach that ... and we ended up at 21 grams. Which means more soul for the product, but also more failure  Undecided
copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
thanks, I'll pin that to the first post
No problem! I hope you like it. Oh, by the way, I left you your first positive trust feedback Grin
CTO, Ledger
thanks, I'll pin that to the first post
copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
BitcoinInformation's review of the HW.1

Packaging

The cards arrived in a plain letter, which I like and dislike at the same moment. I love simplicity, but on the other hand, having some kind of casing or box would have been awesome as well. This might be safer, since mail isn't handled that carefully (nor carefull at all at some points).

The cards themself
The cards look amazing if you ask me. It feels like someone spend a lot of time designing them and it paid off in my opinion. These look like something you could buy in a store, bring home and get started with (and I would love to see something like this).

I snapped one of the cards out of its "casing" and it felt nice and sturdy, even though it's tiny. After that I broke off the clip part and put the HW.1 inside my USB port. It wasn't recognized by Windows and it kept falling out. I asked btchip about this and he told me that the clip should be folded. At that moment I realized that I made a mistake, but some superglue, luckily, fixed it. Roll Eyes

Using the HW.1
Setting up the HW.1 is quite easy, once you get that you need to create a new wallet and use the HW.1 to generate the seed (which will be stored on the HW.1 as well). I first tried to use the KryptoKit that was made for the HW.1, but I was told that this was outdated and not recommended, so I switched to GreenAddress.it (which is the recommended software at this moment).

I first installed the necarrasy driver from the website, after which I downloaded the GreenAddress.it extension for Chrome and selected that I wanted to create a new wallet. I plugged in the HW.1 wallet and it was quickly recognized by Windows and an extra option appeared on the GreenAddress.it wallet creation menu.

I set up a wallet and was able to login with the HW.1 wallet, so that worked perfectly. The next step is testing it with my Android phone (which happened to have OTG). I installed the GreenAddress.it for Android and plugged in my HW.1. It was instantly recognized by Android (4.2.2) and asked me if I wanted to open the GreenAddress.it app. This time I didn't want to create a new wallet, but simply login. It asked me for the Pin Code I set during the Wallet Creation and was then asked if I wanted to logout my computer, because you can only have one session at a time. I accepted that and was logged in successfully.

Conclusion

It's a fun thing to have with a lot of potential. The setup is a bit hard, but the btchip team is working on a startup page, so it should be more clear in the future. I think it's a very handy device for those Bitcoiners that can spend a little.

NOTE: I'm not a professional reviewer and I never will be. Keep that in mind.
CTO, Ledger
Don't apologize and keep the questions going, it's good to know what can be improved  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: