Pages:
Author

Topic: Now that usb sticks are being sold by sidehack here is a new usb hub thread. - page 11. (Read 47216 times)

vh
Activity: 699
Merit: 666
UPDATE:
Or maybe the better cheaper option is 2-3 superbpag hubs in a daisy chain? so there's only 2 devices per hub.  anyone done that?

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to plug them into different ports on the computer or daisy chain.
Not with this particular model, but I've had multiple hub connected in both configurations without issues.
vh
After a days of testing this Hub klintay generously shipped over,
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.19508324

here is an initial summary of the unit:

Eyeboot USB Mini 2-Port USB 2.0 Hub Splitter

Pros:
  • Works with a single 2Pac out of the box on Linux (Pi3B) and Windows.
  • 5V 3 Amp power adapter
  • No power backfeed.  Won't mysteriously keep components awake when the PC is off.

Cons:
  • Can not run more than one 2Pac (with right angle adapter)
    • Voltage starts a bit low @ 4.7V with one 2Pac connected.
    • And begins to drop as load is applied 4.3-4.7V.
    • A second device connected and running amplifies this drop < 4.3V.

I'll update this post with more details and some photos as it becomes available.
Activity: 82
Merit: 10
I'm reading the same about the superbpag 7port

capable of 2A per port, but that they die out if overloaded.

It seems the only hubs with higher power are the eyeboot options.  I was hoping to not spend so much on a hub, but maybe it's a sign that I just need to buy more usb asics! Shocked Cheesy

UPDATE:
Or maybe the better cheaper option is 2-3 superbpag hubs in a daisy chain? so there's only 2 devices per hub.  anyone done that?
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
You gotta consider a 2Pac at 150MHz is going to be pulling about 1.4 amps. That's not insignificant.

so drop the freq and/or get a more powerful hub?  suggestions on hub?

FYI,  I feel like an idiot for not realizing that it had to do with power per port.

I almost bought the 10 port Sipolar hub a few posts up that only provide 0.6 A per port.  Luckily I was able to cancel my order.  I must have been looking at hub specs so long I'd gotten confused about which hubs had which specs when I ordered it.  Maybe I got it confused with a different Sipolar 10 port model that did provide 2A per port.  No idea.

I'm currently running a pair of 2PACs on a Superbpag 7 port hub which is rated at 2A per port.  I have them up to 225Mhz which is as much as I dare with my current cooling solution.  Going by the spreadsheet on post 1 of the support thread, that should have them pulling something like 1.75A, especially since I have the vcore tuned as close I could without hardware errors.  But I suppose it could be a bit above that.  The heatsinks are warm enough to be uncomfortable to the touch, but not immediately yank my fingers away.  So I think I'm ok.

I'm hoping to get a few more 2PACs and then we'll see how well the hub holds up.  I think I read elsewhere that running this hub at 100% capacity with poor ventilation for extended periods killed it pretty hard though.  So we'll see how things progress.
You gotta consider a 2Pac at 150MHz is going to be pulling about 1.4 amps. That's not insignificant.

so drop the freq and/or get a more powerful hub?  suggestions on hub?

FYI,  I feel like an idiot for not realizing that it had to do with power per port.

UPDATE:   I dropped them to freq 25 and all 4 worked fine.  Time for a new hub.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
New here, new to the 2pac.   But glad to see this miner still has active discussion.

I have 4 2pac's
I have an Anker 7port powered 3.0 that I currently use for 2 Futurebit Moonlanders and an Artic Breeze and they work great on it.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ZQ07NE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm just testing the 2pac's to see if I can get all 4 working on the same Anker 7port to see if I should buy another
No luck

I'm using XP 32bit, USB2.0, did the Zadig
I can get 1 at time working easily, with a 150 freq setting.  So my thought is it's the hub or the .bat

I played around with unplugging and plugging in intervals and am able to get 2 out of 4 working,  but not always the same 2 (I know, fun right?)

I did the cgminer.exe -n , found my multiple Bus # Device #  thinking I could specify each USB device with a --gekko-2pac-freq 150 --usb #:# (4times)
which took it back down to 1 working
I can see them all in my device manager
Can you specify COM port instead of bus:device?
It's weird that cgminer will only start 2 of them

If it is the hub, what powered hub is recommended for 4 2pac's and a fan? planning on an affinity 120mm fan

These things are really finicky
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
It won't work, because when you remove the data cable (read on product's description on Amazon) the ports will provide the amps but NO data transfer capability.

How about this?
Is this work properly with 4 of 2pac sticks?
As long as the sticks run at the the default 100MHZ - maybe.
That page says the power out (assumed per-port) is only 5V 600mA which is the output of normal non-charger USB ports/hubs. To push the sticks to higher freq means more current needed, as in up to 1.5 to 2 amps per-stick.
copper member
Activity: 970
Merit: 287
Per aspera ad astra
It won't work, because when you remove the data cable (read on product's description on Amazon) the ports will provide the amps but NO data transfer capability.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129
Bitcoin FTW!
Can I use this hub with 4 of 2pac sticks?

https://www.amazon.com/Juiced-Systems-Ethernet-Charging-Included/dp/B00OL2B17O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1497790154&sr=1-1&keywords=Juiced+Systems+6%2B1%2B1

I want know require spec for using multiple sticks.

Is it enough only 12V 5A ?

Do I need to check each port how many support ampare?
Each port supports 2.1A,should be sufficient for a small overclock on the chip. Should work with 4 sticks. If each port is also 5V then the power out is around 10W, check the 2pac thread for an OC chart.
Activity: 6
Can I use this hub with 4 of 2pac sticks?

https://www.amazon.com/Juiced-Systems-Ethernet-Charging-Included/dp/B00OL2B17O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1497790154&sr=1-1&keywords=Juiced+Systems+6%2B1%2B1

I want know require spec for using multiple sticks.

Is it enough only 12V 5A ?

Do I need to check each port how many support ampare?
So, possibly stupid question, but I'm new to this.

I'm currently running a pair of 2PACs at 150MHz with Raspberry Pi controlling them.  I can tell ample power is a constant issue.  I have one clearly substandard USB hub that is powered, but only has a 2 amp power supply.  If I try to run both 2PACs on it, eventually one drops out.  I can however run 1 off the Pi unit itself, and one off the hub.  But that is less than ideal, especially since I'd like to clock them higher.

I have another powered USB hub that is not compatible with Raspberry Pi, but which has a 3 amp power supply.  On a scale from "Go for it" to "You're gonna fry you 2PACs", how bad of an idea is it to just use the 3 amp power supply with the hub that normally uses a 2 amp power supply?

Alternately, I did order a Sipolar 10 port HUB, so I could just wait for that to eventually show up from China, but I've caught the bug a bit...
I think there are a lot of unknowns with your question. It is hard to make a judgement call regarding your hub and 3A power supply. One of my concerns would be does your hub and power supply both use barrel connectors or micro/mini USB? If it uses a barrel connector, you need to ensure that your polarities match between the two and that they are the same size.

They both use barrel connectors, and the polarities are the same.  I was slightly mistaken about two things however.  One is 5V, 2A, and the other was 5V, 5A.  Regrettably, I was also wrong about connector compatibility.  One is just ever so slightly larger than the other. 

I attempted to daisy chain them as well, and still no luck.  The Pi doesn't recognize anything at all plugged into it.

I'll just have to wait for my sipolar 10 port to get here.  It's encouraging to see other people have had good experiences with it.
vh
I have on order a Sipolar 30 Port.   
https://www.amazon.com/Sipolar-Charging-Station-Charger-Cabinet/dp/B01KPQJRAW 

More power than you'd normally require but should be useful for what I need.

That 5V/60A psu layout caught my eye.   I should be able to tap into for other things.

Also Based on the layout the hub may be able connect to two system simultaneously.

I'll post some updates on it when it arrives.

I have it plugged into my Pi3B and have mined steady through it for 24h.

Sipolar 5V 2.1A 30 Port USB 2.0 HUB

Pros:
  • Very sturdy.  No flimsy feeling parts.
  • Works excellent with the Pi3B.
  • Split Hub chain.  Can connect 15 ports to 2 different systems, or 30 to one.
  • Tested a few ports drawing 2.5A with no issues.

Cons:
  • Power backfeed out USB-B ports.
  • VID:0bda PID:5411 - Realtek Semiconductor Corp Controller.
    • No Windows 7 driver.
    • Compatible id comes up as Generic USB.
    • cgminer reporting write errors.   TBD.

Activity: 578
Merit: 501

I'm currently running a pair of 2PACs at 150MHz with Raspberry Pi controlling them.  I can tell ample power is a constant issue.  I have one clearly substandard USB hub that is powered, but only has a 2 amp power supply.  If I try to run both 2PACs on it, eventually one drops out.  I can however run 1 off the Pi unit itself, and one off the hub.  But that is less than ideal, especially since I'd like to clock them higher.

I have another powered USB hub that is not compatible with Raspberry Pi, but which has a 3 amp power supply.  On a scale from "Go for it" to "You're gonna fry you 2PACs", how bad of an idea is it to just use the 3 amp power supply with the hub that normally uses a 2 amp power supply?

Alternately, I did order a Sipolar 10 port HUB, so I could just wait for that to eventually show up from China, but I've caught the bug a bit...
I think there are a lot of unknowns with your question. It is hard to make a judgement call regarding your hub and 3A power supply. One of my concerns would be does your hub and power supply both use barrel connectors or micro/mini USB? If it uses a barrel connector, you need to ensure that your polarities match between the two and that they are the same size.
vh
The 2Pacs should be okay as long as you are not up-ing the voltage and frequency and pushing it to work harder than its default settings.   The hub might give out first if you draw 3A through it though.   

There is some notes on the first page of posts about daisy chaining hubs to overcome some specific hub incompatibilities with the pi.   It might or might not apply in your case.

vh
I have on order a Sipolar 30 Port.   
https://www.amazon.com/Sipolar-Charging-Station-Charger-Cabinet/dp/B01KPQJRAW 

More power than you'd normally require but should be useful for what I need.

That 5V/60A psu layout caught my eye.   I should be able to tap into for other things.

Also Based on the layout the hub may be able connect to two system simultaneously.

I'll post some updates on it when it arrives.

Activity: 578
Merit: 501
Wow, that is a pretty interesting hub splitter. Let me know if you are short on testers/reviewers.
legendary
Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032
Value will be measured in sats
We are giving away 5 pieces of the Eyeboot 2 Port USB hub, see the thread here;

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/eyeboot-usb-mini-2-port-usb-20-hub-splitter-with-5v-3-amp-power-adapter-1962973

You must however agree to the following;

1. you will write an honest review about the hub
2. take pictures or video showing how you use the hub
3. post review on bitcointalk or youtube or your own blog

Only 1 piece per person. Those with Hero/Legendary status on the forum will be given priority. 
Pages:
Jump to: