Pages:
Author

Topic: NVIDIA is cutting the 3060's Hash Rate in Half & NEW Mining specific GPU's - page 6. (Read 3583 times)

Activity: 478
Merit: 125
I watched a video by some Russian guy named Crypto Leo.  He had a Zotac 3060 and was given credit in a article by videocardz.com as confirming that on ETH it did indeed cut the hash rate in half.

What the article didn't go on to say was that in a follow up video he tested the 5 top money algo's out right now and the card actually did close to or better than a 3060  TI in 3 of them.  Octopus, Cortex and Cuckatoo31.  All of which give this card a great ROI at under $400.

Will the bull market last long enough for Nvidia to need to try to roll this out to new skus like the 3080TI or to kill old sku's as rumored and add it anti ETH technology to it's full ampere line?  Maybe

In the short term is this gonna drive up demand for cards that aren't hampered you bet.  Will the 3000's series cards already out hold their value better now?  I think so.

Sadly gamers or small miners can't line up and score a card at their local Best Buy due to "covid".  They now have to compete on a national level unless they have a Microcenter close by or a good local parts store that has been getting an allocation of cards.  I have neither.

Now gamers who could use the card in off hours to pay off a portion of it or potentially build wealth in the digital world on what will likely be a widely used card can't.  And the big guys win again.

Be nice if AMD would put out a card with good gaming and mining capability again.
Activity: 1372
Merit: 216
Since they announced this specifically with the 3060's (non-ti models) they will be forced to make this announcement for ALL 3xxx based gpu's going forward until then I am a buyer!

I wouldn't assume that. They haven't been entirely honest about what they're doing.

One irony in all this is that large farms have the resources to develop a hack, while home miners
are completely shut out from using their home PCs (many are gaming rigs) to mine during off hours.
Activity: 562
Merit: 139
Since they announced this specifically with the 3060's (non-ti models) they will be forced to make this announcement for ALL 3xxx based gpu's going forward until then I am a buyer!

I've been waiting on quite a few 3090's that have also now been pushed back to 5/7.....

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26
dont worry guys keep calm continue mining, even with 50% less hashrate 25mhs people will still keep mining on them Smiley and im sure many gamers also mining right now
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
Gamers are their long term market and miners come and go. NVIDIA is really just doing this to show that they care about their core gamer crowd because right now gamers are seriously angry about all the jacked up prices due to mining.

Yup, as shown in the past, mining is only a temporary spike. They need to take care of the core market.

On Twitter, Bryan Del Rizzo (Director of global PR for GeForce) confirmed that the anti-crypto technology works as a secure handshake between the driver, the GPU silicon, and BIOS. The latter confirms that this is indeed a BIOS implementation and explains how RTX 3060 in a very early test was already seeing the limited performance. The technology simply does not need a driver to work.

What is particularly interesting here is that according to the tweets, NVIDIA would relaunch its existing SKUs under a new Device ID. This means that future RTX3090/3080/3070/3060Ti models would carry a different ID and feature the anti-crypto algorithm. It is unclear when and if NVIDIA will even announce this change

If they back date on any older model

RTX3090/3080/3070/3060Ti

they will be sued.

Evga has a queue for all models

in the

3060ti

If you went on the queue prior to the 3060 cripple announcement you are entitled to a working

3060ti

thousands of people are on the lists I am on lists for 23 cards all before the crippling 3060

So I listed for mining cards I would be entitled to sue on each and every crippled one then send to me.

They would not be allowed to back date.

So the solution will fuck evga big time if it is applied to any and all of the older 3000 cards.

Think of it this way you sign on a waiting list for a 3090 and for evga cripples it for gaming after you signed up for it.

you are entitled to damages.  So while they may cripple the 3060 I do not think they will quickly cripple the older 3000 series card.

btw if do then they hand over a huge edge to AMD cards.
Activity: 457
Merit: 273
Yup, as shown in the past, mining is only a temporary spike. They need to take care of the core market.

Unfortunatelly Nvidia is (once again) trying to put out the fire with quick and bad solution. They were unprepared for the third time in the row with the current crypto hype and still they do not have a strategy, a proper solution to the issue. Now they are trying to sell old hardware to miners which is "specialized for mining" and at the same time disabling home users by bricking future gaming gpus which is essentially a kick in the ass for the much needed decentralized mining. This is very very bad solution and will not solve the issues addressed. Fist of all - if profitability will be good then miners will buy ANYTHING that is capable of mining (gaming/specialized) and will try to override the driver/bios obstacles that Nvidia puts in new products. And secondly - miner will ALWAYS buy best price/performance product and not some fancy-named "specialized" products.
Activity: 242
Merit: 11
Gamers are their long term market and miners come and go. NVIDIA is really just doing this to show that they care about their core gamer crowd because right now gamers are seriously angry about all the jacked up prices due to mining.

On Twitter, Bryan Del Rizzo (Director of global PR for GeForce) confirmed that the anti-crypto technology works as a secure handshake between the driver, the GPU silicon, and BIOS. The latter confirms that this is indeed a BIOS implementation and explains how RTX 3060 in a very early test was already seeing the limited performance. The technology simply does not need a driver to work.

What is particularly interesting here is that according to the tweets, NVIDIA would relaunch its existing SKUs under a new Device ID. This means that future RTX3090/3080/3070/3060Ti models would carry a different ID and feature the anti-crypto algorithm. It is unclear when and if NVIDIA will even announce this change
Activity: 16
Merit: 1
Activity: 1372
Merit: 216
I expect legal and technical problems.

On a technical level how do they detect a mining application? If they use code signatures like AV
the code can be modified to change the signature. There is also a possibility of false positives.
Gamers would not like it if their favorite game was slowed down.

Also where is the knowledge of what to look for. If it's in HW or BIOS it can't be easilly updated
for new signatures (unlike AV updates). If it's in the driver it may be hackable or users would just shun
new driver updates.

On the legal side, they are targetting a specific application which happens to be legal. It's not
malware that the user wants to block. The vendor is intentionally blocking legal software the
user wants. I think there is a case for unfair business practices and clear damages incurred by
SW devepoppers and users. (IANAL)
Activity: 558
Merit: 194
Their dedicated mining GPUs are terrible from an efficiency standpoint.

The 90HX only does 86 MH/s @ 320 watts.

My 3080's do 100 MH/s @ 230 watts and my 3090 does 122 MH/s @ 295 watts.

The 50HX is pretty bad too at 45 MH/s @ 250 watts.  My 3+ year old 1080Ti's do about 45 MH/s as well @ 180 watts.

My 5700 XT's do 57 MH/s @ 110 watts or so.

I wouldn't touch those "mining cards" with a 10 foot pole....
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 2144
More news here

Seems like the anti-mining thing is not just a driver feature and it's implemented in hardware and BIOS too. And the newly-produced RTX 3000 cards will have it too.

But I still think there's a chance that someone will bypass this technology. Maybe someone will figure out how to use older BIOS and drivers with these new cards, or make open-source version specifically designed for mining.

Activity: 756
Merit: 251
Sovryn - 300-500% APY on USDT Deposit
It's up to them whether they want to limit it or not and this is a driver limitation not hardware so someone will unlock it for sure it's only a matter of time. at the end of the day miner will look at the price, availability and the hashrate it will produce, no one sell at MSRP here so have to wait until it hit the market and see the hashrate. If it's only hashing at 45 or even lower then i guess it's not worth it for miner, they will just buy 1660 super (cheaper), 5700 (more hashrate), or even 3060ti (efficiency at it's finest).
Activity: 76
Merit: 2
I'm missing something else.  

If Nvidia is maxed out on production of existing cards, how are they finding the capacity to tool up four brand new designs, why would they not use that capacity to just build more of the existing design.

Unless its a components problem and the new mining cards will not use the same parts?

Which would imply they have production capacity sitting idle right now?

They probably will use some defected GPU's and old GPU's. Which has some minor problems. Like RTX core, Display issues etc
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
Until we see a legitimate mining card that matches the highest performing consumer GPU (currently the 3090 @ 120-125Mh/s)  I'd say thats a hard pass.

Nvidia failed before they began...

That 6, 8 or 10GB of memory onboard the CMP's is crap when the 3090 has 24GB...

Expect 3090 & 3080 prices to continue to rise.

Pretty much this, the idea is to make mining gpus a lot more attractive than gaming gpus.
Activity: 562
Merit: 139
Until we see a legitimate mining card that matches the highest performing consumer GPU (currently the 3090 @ 120-125Mh/s)  I'd say thats a hard pass.

Nvidia failed before they began...

That 6, 8 or 10GB of memory onboard the CMP's is crap when the 3090 has 24GB...

Expect 3090 & 3080 prices to continue to rise.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1303
There's no problem, it's a company and they can do, it's our choice to buy or not, also there's a chance of people find a way to mining at full speed

But something here is a big problem: the fact that mining cards are almost impossible to buy outside the Asia-US.]
The beauty of decentralized mining is everybody can buy a GPU because they sell to a lot of countries and stores, but mining cards will probably be like the last ones from nvidia and amd, only available to some countries, and the big farms will buy everything.
A lot of stores didn't sell this card, and there's no resale value.
Activity: 478
Merit: 125

If Nvidia is maxed out on production of existing cards, how are they finding the capacity to tool up four brand new designs, why would they not use that capacity to just build more of the existing design.

Unless its a components problem and the new mining cards will not use the same parts?

For the 3060 it was probably already factored into Nvidia's chip production capacity. 

For the new mining processors they may be repurposing old chips or releasing lower binned ones with memory they can get cheap.

It will be interesting to see how they price the mining ones and how well outside of massive farms they are received if widely available.
Activity: 242
Merit: 11
I'm sure that after a while the drivers will be patched by "folk craftsmen", and after a while Nvidia official unlocked versions will appear. This is the dialectic of life and marketing. In addition, it is easy enough to adapt the Nvidia laptop driver for desctop graphics if desired. Such drivers for RTX3060 were already released in January 2021, and they have no restrictions for mining. This already  led to a unique phenomenon - the emergence of mining farms on laptops.

Hmmm no, I dont think so. The chips are different. The cuda core count is different along with a lot of the power delivery stuff.

Laptop has 6GB memory desktop has 12. Too many differences.
Activity: 618
Merit: 21
I'm sure that after a while the drivers will be patched by "folk craftsmen", and after a while Nvidia official unlocked versions will appear. This is the dialectic of life and marketing. In addition, it is easy enough to adapt the Nvidia laptop driver for desctop graphics if desired. Such drivers for RTX3060 were already released in January 2021, and they have no restrictions for mining. This already  led to a unique phenomenon - the emergence of mining farms on laptops.
Activity: 378
Merit: 197

Pages:
Jump to: