Pages:
Author

Topic: Observations on prayers and miracles? - page 2. (Read 2686 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
August 08, 2014, 08:30:37 AM
Ill give you some examples :

1) The world is an amazing place that we cannot fully explain.

That's all fine and well but because we are stupid and cant explain everything is hardly evidence for anything other than we are stupid.

2)  There are writings that say people spoke to god.  There are writings of (insert anything here)

Heresay of heresay.  Not evidence of anything.  Not even indirect evidence twice removed.

3)  Unexplainable (miracles) happen.

If unexplainable and seemingly impossible events NEVER happened, that might constitute evidence of god.  Statistics says the unexplainable should happen with a certain regularity.

Your turn.
  Got anything?Huh

ha ha ha, show me a picture of god please..
Activity: 555
Merit: 507
August 08, 2014, 08:12:48 AM
http://web.med.harvard.edu/sites/RELEASES/html/3_31STEP.html

The STEP team, composed of investigators at six academic medical centers, including Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee; Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, Massachusetts; Integris Baptist Medical Center in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota; St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Florida; Washington Hospital Center in Washington, D.C; and the Mind/Body Medical Institute, found that intercessory prayer had no effect on recovery from surgery without complications. The study also found that patients who knew they were receiving intercessory prayer fared worse. The paper appears in the April issue of American Heart Journal.
Activity: 364
August 08, 2014, 05:26:39 AM
Let's talk about the Haiti Earthquake of 2010...

Yeah! More than 4 years ago.  About 250,000 people died intitially. Over 1 MILLION are dead.
People are still dying. Cholera and disease running ranpant... no clean water....

The majority of the population of Haiti were Christian!, zolace?

Where was your "creator" ?   Was his answer, "no"?

First of all, good luck showing the majority of them were Christians.

And second - for a Christian, death is followed by the resurrection.   That right there is a major answer - to their prayer for forgiveness.

Why do you assume - and that is what you do - that God must answer prayer the way YOU want him to?  Your timetable, etc?   God answers prayer - but we are not talking a computer here.  A person.  Three Persons in One actually.

Check out Muller, or keep on hiding.  Frankly, for now, that is your choice.
Activity: 350
August 08, 2014, 05:17:23 AM
Let's talk about the Haiti Earthquake of 2010...

Yeah! More than 4 years ago.  About 250,000 people died intitially. Over 1 MILLION are dead.
People are still dying. Cholera and disease running ranpant... no clean water....

The majority of the population of Haiti were Christian!, zolace?

Where was your "creator" ?   Was his answer, "no"?
July 31, 2014, 11:50:01 AM
Remember the movie "Children of a lesser God"? Their God was deaf. The truth is all Gods are deaf because the imaginary do not have ears.
why do you persist in this mindless "crusade"?  You have never presented anything supports your beliefs.
You have been proved 100% wrong at every turn.  Why continue?

If you believe clamping you hands over your ears and screaming, "IS NOT!"...... is an argument, then you are lost.
July 31, 2014, 11:44:53 AM
Remember the movie "Children of a lesser God"? Their God was deaf. The truth is all Gods are deaf because the imaginary do not have ears.
July 31, 2014, 11:43:23 AM
Still misses the irony.  Sad.  Anyway, apparently threads here get noticed in some way I don't monitor.  Interesting.

But, if you really think you have a case there, rigon, you should note that in that (original) thread - only pointing out here the irony of you complaining about folk determining your intent.

There will be more examples forthcoming, no doubt.  Perhaps its best I point them out then in the thread where they are found.
I repeat.  Words have meaning .  I don't determine the meaning of words. sana wrote that the reason some Scandinavian liberal progressive countries are good in so many ways is because they don't have minorities.  Those words in that sentence have meaning that I did not infer.  If you choose not to accept the meaning of those words....that is another thing....but he wrote them.
Fascinated by the 'zolace's interpretation is the only valid interpretation' approach.

Anyway, you still don't get it.  Your words have meaning also.

The question is whether you got the meaning correct.   Do you know what irony was being pointed out by her?  Whether you agree or not?
Activity: 994
Merit: 441
July 31, 2014, 11:40:08 AM
Still misses the irony.  Sad.  Anyway, apparently threads here get noticed in some way I don't monitor.  Interesting.

But, if you really think you have a case there, rigon, you should note that in that (original) thread - only pointing out here the irony of you complaining about folk determining your intent.

There will be more examples forthcoming, no doubt.  Perhaps its best I point them out then in the thread where they are found.
I repeat.  Words have meaning .  I don't determine the meaning of words. sana wrote that the reason some Scandinavian liberal progressive countries are good in so many ways is because they don't have minorities.  Those words in that sentence have meaning that I did not infer.  If you choose not to accept the meaning of those words....that is another thing....but he wrote them.
July 31, 2014, 11:34:33 AM

July 31, 2014, 11:29:31 AM
It is a fact that the nations I listed are the most liberal progressive.  It is a fact they have low crime.  It is a fact they have high quality of life indices and it is a fact that when surveyed they are among the most satisfied people on earth with their governments.  I can show you all the studies again.  Your agreement that they are indeed good places to live is completely NOT required, unsolicited, and irrelevant.  What is relevant and very interesting were your words regarding the reason those nations don't have problems is because they are white and don't have minorities.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
July 31, 2014, 11:09:51 AM
There's no such thing as miracles. If people believe they can't do anything but pray for someone, they do it out of desperation. It's even worse if they simply rely on praying and don't actually do anything that could 'really' help achieving the thing they want to.
July 31, 2014, 11:05:36 AM
I'm only going to comment on this thread because its activity shows up in the "Today" stream...and because my name is in it.   Normally I prefer to just ignore the three of you on your religious threads.  

But for the record:  

rigon is a liar and a dumbass.  Anyone can go to the original thread and see he did not repeat my words and he is too effing stupid to grasp I was pointing out HIS listing of the best nations on earth are those which are all milky white.

I do not share his opinion that those nations are even the best, let alone his apparent preference for milky white folks.  

That is all.  
I never mentioned anything about white folks....that was you.  You were arguing that liberal progressivism leads to societal ruin (again not me).  I proved to you that the most liberal progressive nations on earth do not have societal ruin and in fact have quite the opposite.  I never said it was because many of their people are white.....that was you. I never invoked white or brown skinned people at all....only that the most liberal progressive places were in fact not showing any sign of societal ruin anything soon.   So when shown that liberal progressivism, contrary to your verbal diarrhea,  isn't the lone variable in determining whether a society goes downhill, you ran to your next unfavorite thing.....minorities.....must be the lack of minorities that gives those places higher ratings.....that's it.
Activity: 448
July 31, 2014, 11:02:44 AM
I'm only going to comment on this thread because its activity shows up in the "Today" stream...and because my name is in it.   Normally I prefer to just ignore the three of you on your religious threads.  

But for the record:  

rigon is a liar and a dumbass.  Anyone can go to the original thread and see he did not repeat my words and he is too effing stupid to grasp I was pointing out HIS listing of the best nations on earth are those which are all milky white.

I do not share his opinion that those nations are even the best, let alone his apparent preference for milky white folks.  

That is all.  
July 31, 2014, 11:01:18 AM
Prayers & miracles....

Riddle me this....

If a life-threatening event/disater were to occure, where would my directed prayers be most effective?
1.Jesus
2.Tooth Fairy
3. Easter Bunny
4. Santa Claus

Answer:

All of the above. They are all equally effective.
For me, its been Jesus.  Never had any success with the other three.........
You've had "success" praying to Jesus?  Prove it!!!!

You are a fucked-up ass, zolace. You've never had any "success" with Jesus. You can't demostrate evern one time.

It's the same thing over & over &over with you.
July 31, 2014, 10:47:12 AM
Prayers & miracles....

Riddle me this....

If a life-threatening event/disater were to occure, where would my directed prayers be most effective?
1.Jesus
2.Tooth Fairy
3. Easter Bunny
4. Santa Claus

Answer:

For me, its been Jesus.  Never had any success with the other three.........
July 31, 2014, 10:43:45 AM
Prayers & miracles....

Riddle me this....

1.Jesus
2.Tooth Fairy
3. Easter Bunny
4. Santa Claus

Answer:

July 31, 2014, 10:39:23 AM
If a nuclear bomb exploded over my head and I lived, Id believe in almost anything. But more importantly, pondering bullshit that NEVER happens as possible evidence of a biblical being is the height of stupidity.  I WILL NOT survive if a nuclear bomb goes off over my head.  A dead dismembered rotting man WILL NOT EVER come back to life. Wondering what a person might believe if this bullshit happened is a complete waste of time and exercise in futility.
Yes, you have given lip service to that statement several times.  I do not deny that.
There are things I dont know about which could include a higher power.....its just not your  bible.  That is NOT lip service.  Your saying so means absolutely  nothing. There is nothing more maddening than a dumb-ass who tries to tell me the intent of my words.

Future advice...dont pretend to tell people what they mean face to face .  Someone might break your neck....I would certainly be tempted.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002
You cannot kill love
July 30, 2014, 01:24:54 PM
My stance on this is similar to the tarot cards! I don't think prayers can actually do anything and miracles are just coincidences at best, which haven't been observed well enough by some people who then claim that something supernatural (or even heavenly intervention) has occurred!

There are no coincidences.  To imply there are coincidences is to imply there is randomness.  Life is not random.  Every action as a reaction.  Everything you do forever effects the world around you.  The world is the way it is because we have created it to be so, intelligent design.

Every action you make will change the path of your entire life, in each waking moment.

As someone who has seen and done the impossible, I can attest that reality is not a closed system.  Reality is a reflection of our perception.  If we perceive limitations and impossibilities, than it will be so.  If we perceive the opposite perception, infinity, then it will be so.

As long as you subject your mind to false beliefs, negativity, ego, you will be trapped in the reactionary world.  The world of science - limits and transitionary processes - death.

When you can perceive your existence from the other end of the spectrum, from the soul, you can free yourself from the entanglement of life in hell.  You can ascend to a higher plane of existence, which comes from within.  Every negative has an opposite.  Instead of creating thought processes of negativity - I can't, it won't, it's impossible, etc - find the opposite and resonate positive thoughts within your mind - I can, it will, it's possible, etc.

Your thoughts alter your existence and ultimately, following positive thoughts will lead you to affirming positive beliefs when your mind surpasses a level of understanding beyond the negativity you once perceived.

We are gods who have forgotten we are gods.  Once we become self aware of our true state of existence, rather than our false delusion we currently live in, we will be free from the forces of negativity that constrict our existence.

We all have the power inside of us, all it takes is you to find the will and empower it.  Where there is a will, there is a way.  If you indefinitely subject yourself to negative thought patterns, judgments and beliefs, you will not find the will to be as you were made to be - infinite.
July 30, 2014, 12:14:51 PM
zolace-
It is possible for people like me to reject your fairy tales, but still be open minded to the possibility of forces as yet not understood by me.

I know for a fact that your religious/superstitious beliefs are 100% bullshit.
On the other hand there are things that I don't understand, and I remain open-minded to new things/philosophies.

Too bad you aren't the same.

When you practice any belief system that REQUIRES deliberant ignorance, you are at the end of the intellectual food-chain.
July 30, 2014, 12:13:17 PM
If a nuclear bomb exploded over my head and I lived, Id believe in almost anything. But more importantly, pondering bullshit that NEVER happens as possible evidence of a biblical being is the height of stupidity.  I WILL NOT survive if a nuclear bomb goes off over my head.  A dead dismembered rotting man WILL NOT EVER come back to life. Wondering what a person might believe if this bullshit happened is a complete waste of time and exercise in futility.
Yes, you have given lip service to that statement several times.  I do not deny that.
It is only "lip service" to you because I do not accept your christian god of the bible as invented by men.  Its not lip service at all.  It is an objective reality.
Pages:
Jump to: