Pages:
Author

Topic: Observations on prayers and miracles? - page 4. (Read 2686 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
July 30, 2014, 10:58:57 AM
OP i disagree with you. This picture should explain you everything.

yeah,with  every bad thing there is a good side,but with every good thing there is a bad side
July 30, 2014, 10:55:39 AM
Ok then, rewording this, since you say you have answered such, and perhaps I misunderstood.  To clarify:

If the following was to happen, all 5 points below, you agree that the most logical explanation would be that something supernatural happened.  I have that correct?
1.You are walking in the woods, hiking, enjoying nature, and you come across someone you know, but dead.

2.You are able to determine that the body has been dead and decomposing for about 10 days.

3.Pieces of it are dismembered - for example, the right arm is 50 feet away.

4.And, no technology around. You are not in a lab. You may be carrying your cell phone, IPAD, but, personal stuff.

5.And while you are looking at this body, before your very eyes, this person rises immediately, whole and alive again. His arm from 50 feet away is not re-attached to his body. He is well, and he knows you, just as you knew him.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
July 30, 2014, 10:48:03 AM
OP i disagree with you. This picture should explain you everything.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QfthOp9g7Uo/UdJkll9dMDI/AAAAAAAAAnQ/5PtlT8eWbxA/s1600/YIN-YA~1.JPG
Activity: 994
Merit: 441
July 30, 2014, 10:30:39 AM

Talking about fantastical examples of magic that have never happened and will never happen when discussing evidence of god is about as pointless an exercise as you can imagine....and ....you can imagine a whole slew of pointless exercises. Rather than discussing imaginary made up crazy shit that might make us think god is real....I have a novel idea. Why not discuss actual evidence that indicates God is real?

See, that last post might have some credibility if you had answered the last question.

So again, give an example of below - apparently if there are lots of things, something comes to mind.

Lots of things could occur that would make me believe in God

I repeat........ making a list of fairy tale magic events that would have to occur to prove god exists, like a bearded man floating down from the sky and telling me he is god and taking me to heaven to see my grandmother, is a complete waste of an effort.  What the fuck purpose does it serve you to get me to make up fantastic bullshit magical evidences that don't exist and will never exist? 
Well, you might read Revelation chapter 6 some time.   I am going to make this clearer, as, when you replied, you did not touch upon all aspects, etc

1.You are walking in the woods, hiking, enjoying nature, and you come across someone you know, but dead.

2.You are able to determine that the body has been dead and decomposing for about 10 days.

4.And, no technology around.  You are not in a lab.  You may be carrying your cell phone, IPAD, but, personal stuff.

5.And while you are looking at this body, before your very eyes, this person rises immediately, whole and alive again.  His arm from 50 feet away is not re-attached to his body.  He is well, and he knows you, just as you knew him.

You feel the most logical explanation for this is tissue reanimation or cloning under these circumstances?  I have that right?
I already stated that something fantastical could be evidence of god, even though our lack of knowledge how something works has never been evidence of god in the past.  But there is no evidence that what you describe  ever happened despite your tossing out Revelations as a technical citation.  So..... talking about fantastical bullshit that never happened is really a waste of time.  I have asked you now more than ten times....if you think there is evidence of god.....tell me what it is.

Recall   Evidence = body of facts proving something true.  So even if we saw a dead rotting guy who was later alive, this is just as much evidence for a god-like doctor, some other miracle than God, or (insert your own fantastical explanation here). 
July 30, 2014, 10:23:20 AM
Talking about fantastical examples of magic that have never happened and will never happen when discussing evidence of god is about as pointless an exercise as you can imagine....and ....you can imagine a whole slew of pointless exercises. Rather than discussing imaginary made up crazy shit that might make us think god is real....I have a novel idea. Why not discuss actual evidence that indicates God is real?

See, that last post might have some credibility if you had answered the last question.

So again, give an example of below - apparently if there are lots of things, something comes to mind.

I repeat........ making a list of fairy tale magic events that would have to occur to prove god exists, like a bearded man floating down from the sky and telling me he is god and taking me to heaven to see my grandmother, is a complete waste of an effort.  What the fuck purpose does it serve you to get me to make up fantastic bullshit magical evidences that don't exist and will never exist? 
Well, you might read Revelation chapter 6 some time.   I am going to make this clearer, as, when you replied, you did not touch upon all aspects, etc

4.And, no technology around.  You are not in a lab.  You may be carrying your cell phone, IPAD, but, personal stuff.

5.And while you are looking at this body, before your very eyes, this person rises immediately, whole and alive again.  His arm from 50 feet away is not re-attached to his body.  He is well, and he knows you, just as you knew him.

You feel the most logical explanation for this is tissue reanimation or cloning under these circumstances?  I have that right?
July 30, 2014, 09:46:50 AM

July 30, 2014, 09:38:07 AM

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Trust me!
July 29, 2014, 05:12:45 PM
My stance on this is similar to the tarot cards! I don't think prayers can actually do anything and miracles are just coincidences at best, which haven't been observed well enough by some people who then claim that something supernatural (or even heavenly intervention) has occurred!
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
July 29, 2014, 03:09:24 PM
It's very hard to discuss about spiritual things, prayers and miracles and God because such things it's almost impossible to prove.
But, in other way, can anybody show love?
No, because love is also invisible thing.
...but we believe in love because we can feel and sometimes we can see expression of love around us.
It's the same thing with God.
You either feel God around you, his presence, feel that through prayers you can communicate with him and receive answer (miracle) but you can't prove this.
but, in fact, it doesn't matter really because faith is personal, individual thing, just between you and God, so why loose unnecessary energy and time on useless discussions and try to prove God?
It's just wasting of time.
What is important is your personal relationship with God, and this is just between each of us and God.
Back to the question yes i believe that prayers can help in special ways based on own experience.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
July 29, 2014, 01:23:18 PM
... Why not discuss actual evidence that indicates God is real?
Because there isn't any?
July 29, 2014, 10:57:41 AM
July 29, 2014, 10:44:29 AM
let me try to explain this one last time to a man who is clearly among the world's dumbest.

Just because I disagree with you does not mean:

1) I just didn't understand you
2) I wasn't paying attention
3) I just need to read it again,
4) etc etc.

I disagree with you because I have a valid reason for me to do so.  It is FAR more logical that a dead person would be alive through some cloning or reanimation process rather than from a magic wand.  However, since there is zero evidence and zero reason to believe that a dead rotten person has ever come back to life, talking about it is absurd.
July 29, 2014, 10:39:26 AM
As yet incomplete existing technology of growing tissue from genetic material is a far more plausible explanation than a magic man.  Is there something you don't understand about that answer?  It doesn't assume an advanced civilization that there is no evidence for.  It assumes we have merely gone a bit farther technologically.   We now grow organs and tissues all the time.   Your example of a dead rotting tissue of man being turned back into a man is just an extension of existing technology that theoretically is very possible.  Not a race of advanced people (or a magical god) that I am imagining.   The most plausible answer is usually correct.   However, there is no real situation to back up your story so why are we even wasting our time thinking of plausible reasons for a story that has no evidence?

Ok, we are talking this week, if you were to see this (knowing where we are currently in technology) and see this happen within seconds, in the above example.

And the example is not talking about growing tissue - the dismembered parts are coming together before your very eyes.  They are not growing back their missing limbs - the missing limb 50 feet away is rejoined to the body.  Aad again, we are talking before you very eyes, within seconds.

In case that was not understood.  What I did not make clear was that - you are the only one around to see this.  Think of yourself as having come across this body out in the wilderness while hiking.

Same answer. It remains more plausible that the cloning technology exists without our knowledge this very week as opposed to a supernatural man in the sky,  Sorry you don't like my answer . It is my answer and is far more logical to me.  Pondering how many fairies it would take to dance on the head of a pin for me to believe in god is a complete waste of time. Since no fairies will ever dance on the head of a head, why the fuck are we pondering it?   What you need to do and you have not....is present the evidence of god that you believe exists.

Basically - and it was pretty much a given that this has been your position - no matter what occurs, no matter what evidence is presented, you are committed to a naturalistic explanation, regardless of how far out or irrational it is.

Your choice - but, given that, you should own that up front, rather than ask for evidence, as given your commitment to naturalism (a faith position), any such evidence would be conformed to that belief system anyway (regardless of what contortions are needed to do that).

Not unlike, really, the group of folk in Revelation chapter 6 (15-17)

Now....when it comes to your example of seeing someone who was dead and rotting......then seeing them alive....even in today's world a more logical explanation than magic is tissue reanimation or cloning.   2000 years ago I would have believed it to be god.  But MY POINT was that debating how many elves are required to dance on the head of a pin in order to believe in god is absurd, since no elf ever existed and certainly none that could dance on the head of a pin.  Get it?   Arguing how many days post mortem rotting body would I accept God if I saw said body again in good condition  is a silly exercise .  Since no evidence exists that any rotting dead body has ever come to life for any reason.....discussing its merit as possible evidence of a god makes no sense...like you.
I don't think you really paid attention to the example I gave - but, I only gave such since you have yet to give an example of what is one of those 'lots of things'.  Surely you have some in mind then.  Like what?
July 29, 2014, 10:32:43 AM
As yet incomplete existing technology of growing tissue from genetic material is a far more plausible explanation than a magic man.  Is there something you don't understand about that answer?  It doesn't assume an advanced civilization that there is no evidence for.  It assumes we have merely gone a bit farther technologically.   We now grow organs and tissues all the time.   Your example of a dead rotting tissue of man being turned back into a man is just an extension of existing technology that theoretically is very possible.  Not a race of advanced people (or a magical god) that I am imagining.   The most plausible answer is usually correct.   However, there is no real situation to back up your story so why are we even wasting our time thinking of plausible reasons for a story that has no evidence?

Ok, we are talking this week, if you were to see this (knowing where we are currently in technology) and see this happen within seconds, in the above example.

And the example is not talking about growing tissue - the dismembered parts are coming together before your very eyes.  They are not growing back their missing limbs - the missing limb 50 feet away is rejoined to the body.  Aad again, we are talking before you very eyes, within seconds.

In case that was not understood.  What I did not make clear was that - you are the only one around to see this.  Think of yourself as having come across this body out in the wilderness while hiking.

Same answer. It remains more plausible that the cloning technology exists without our knowledge this very week as opposed to a supernatural man in the sky,  Sorry you don't like my answer . It is my answer and is far more logical to me.  Pondering how many fairies it would take to dance on the head of a pin for me to believe in god is a complete waste of time. Since no fairies will ever dance on the head of a head, why the fuck are we pondering it?   What you need to do and you have not....is present the evidence of god that you believe exists.

Basically - and it was pretty much a given that this has been your position - no matter what occurs, no matter what evidence is presented, you are committed to a naturalistic explanation, regardless of how far out or irrational it is.

Your choice - but, given that, you should own that up front, rather than ask for evidence, as given your commitment to naturalism (a faith position), any such evidence would be conformed to that belief system anyway (regardless of what contortions are needed to do that).

Now....when it comes to your example of seeing someone who was dead and rotting......then seeing them alive....even in today's world a more logical explanation than magic is tissue reanimation or cloning.   2000 years ago I would have believed it to be god.  But MY POINT was that debating how many elves are required to dance on the head of a pin in order to believe in god is absurd, since no elf ever existed and certainly none that could dance on the head of a pin.  Get it?   Arguing how many days post mortem rotting body would I accept God if I saw said body again in good condition  is a silly exercise .  Since no evidence exists that any rotting dead body has ever come to life for any reason.....discussing its merit as possible evidence of a god makes no sense...like you.
July 29, 2014, 10:23:53 AM
As I gave this some more thought, I started wondering how you could miss some of the details of the example I gave - may not be intentional.  But, is it habitual?

Anyway, here a similar question to what I asked earlier was asked of an atheist, and his answer:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/proving-god/would-you-believe

In 1985 a popular debate on this subject was held between Reformed theologian Greg Bahnsen and atheist Gordon Stein. Stein was asked what would “constitute adequate evidence for God's existence?” He answered, “If that podium suddenly rose into the air five feet, stayed there for a minute and then dropped right down again, I would say that is evidence of a supernatural because it would violate everything we knew about the laws of physics and chemistry.”

NO, that is NOT what I said. Please try to pay attention. 

Lots of things could occur that would make me believe in God.  I clearly stated that factual evidence of God's existence is what I require.  I clearly defined factual evidence.  Just because none has ever been presented does not mean it cannot yet someday exist. 
July 29, 2014, 10:16:18 AM

July 29, 2014, 10:06:37 AM
As I gave this some more thought, I started wondering how you could miss some of the details of the example I gave - may not be intentional.  But, is it habitual?

Anyway, here a similar question to what I asked earlier was asked of an atheist, and his answer:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/proving-god/would-you-believe

In 1985 a popular debate on this subject was held between Reformed theologian Greg Bahnsen and atheist Gordon Stein. Stein was asked what would “constitute adequate evidence for God's existence?” He answered, “If that podium suddenly rose into the air five feet, stayed there for a minute and then dropped right down again, I would say that is evidence of a supernatural because it would violate everything we knew about the laws of physics and chemistry.”
July 29, 2014, 10:04:03 AM

July 29, 2014, 10:01:01 AM

July 29, 2014, 09:53:54 AM
Pages:
Jump to: