Pages:
Author

Topic: Observations on prayers and miracles? - page 6. (Read 2686 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
July 28, 2014, 01:38:55 PM
 Miracles, the word is used in different ways.   But, in the sense of the God intervening in the world - of course, folks disagree about that, and for various reasons.  Used in the sense of something happening that cannot or can never be explained in naturalistic terms - one might say it be a miracle if such a subject could be discussed without folk getting all upset.

Used in the sense of folk turning their lives around, of a major victory in WW II, or a baby being born - I think in that sense, one is meaning it is a wondrous and fortunate event.  But, usually one that is explainable in naturalistic terms. 
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
July 28, 2014, 01:09:30 PM
I think all logical arguments break down when talking about Gods and miracles.  Once the supernatural is part of the equation one can make up anything and it's silly to argue against that.
Activity: 350
July 28, 2014, 01:04:39 PM
Prayer only works on the mind of the prayer.   There is a biochemical effect of concentration.  Just as meditation and buddhism may work for some.  Or in my case, I can concentrate to stop things like hiccups.  I can slow my heart rate.  Its all about concentration.  There are real physical effects.  Sadly there is no sheening angel with a magic wand confering any benefit during prayer.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Bling Bling
July 28, 2014, 12:10:56 PM
Maybe god is a sadistic bastard who doesn't deserve worship, and he always answers prayers but usually the answer is 'no'!

Hahaha! But does he even answer people? Why don't those people who pray to him receive this answer then? I mean, if he says 'no' for.. like 10 times, I'd just say 'Well, then leave me alone, jerk!' hehe
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
July 28, 2014, 12:09:29 PM
Maybe god is a sadistic bastard who doesn't deserve worship, and he always answers prayers but usually the answer is 'no'!
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Bling Bling
July 28, 2014, 12:02:20 PM
Ha, religious people always find excuses for god'd non-interference as well! They keep saying that things 'are a test' and that people 'couldn't even fathom the reasons god is doing those things'
But hey, killing innocent people and taking away people's loved ones isn't exactly a test or anything. God is simply a jerk if he indeed did that.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
July 28, 2014, 10:57:32 AM
I think the main reason God doesn't answer everybody's prayer is that He gets fed up with us getting ourselves into trouble and then expecting Him to bail us out. That, plus God might be able to hold up his end of things but He expects us to hold up ours, too, and sometimes we get stubborn about taking on our share of the effort.
Activity: 364
July 28, 2014, 10:43:04 AM
One think is pretty clear. If God exists he does not interfere in the lives of the masses of humanity. At least not in a direct way. If he did there would be no wars, no children dying of terrible diseases, no 9/11's or senseless invasions of Iraq and a million children would not starve to death around the world every year. Saying God gave man "free will" and lets us make our own decisions doesn't explain why he would allow the Titanic to sink or aids to exist to kill millions around the world.

If God refuses to save millions why would he go out of his way to save one?

Millions pray and get nothing for it. The whole concept of prayer and miracles is more than a little ridiculous. God either gets involved in the lives of people or he does not. The evidence is overwhelming that he does not.

What could be considered a miracle of sorts is when people turn their lives around and dedicate themselves to helping their fellow man. There could be something miraculous about overcoming your personal hatred of other groups of people and setting aside racism and bigotry, misogyny and embracing equality for all. Something as simple as taking the time to try and understand another person's point of view instead of automatically dismissing it ......can seem a little miraculous at times for many of us.

Love is as intangible as faith or prayer but we can see it's impact on the world on a daily basis. Goodness and empathy are as incorporeal as miracles and yet unlike prayer and miracles we see them change the world. These may be secular miracles but they come about because of the potential for good that is latent in all human beings and not based on pie in the sky religious dogma and superstitution.

Real miracles are brought about deep in the essence of what and who we are as individuals and as a species. No one has to wait or pray for a miracles when they can make one themselves.

What do you think?
Pages:
Jump to: