Author

Topic: Official Anoncoin chat thread (including history) - page 152. (Read 530609 times)

Activity: 298
Merit: 250
If there is going to be a 2-Blockchain-Solution, I ask myself whether Exchanges are able to trade this Zerocoin separately?

I mean... ANC and this ZC are tied together as I understand this, since we would be able to exchange it with one another, right?

Still wondering : )
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
Say your opinion!

A hypothetical question that does not necessarily have any ulterior motive; If Anoncoin switched hashing algorithm, what type of hashing algorithm would you liked to see then?

a cpu only algo
Agreed, CPU only. 1 CPU, 1 vote.

+

By the way,any hashing algorithm will be matched by ASICS in the coming time.I'm not worried about the algorithm.
Finally, someone else who is able to understand this Smiley

How come any hashing algorithm will be matched by ASIC ? Is it possible to explain this in layman terms?
ASIC stands for Application-specific integrated circuit.
The difference between GPU/CPU and ASIC, is that you are "hashing" in an "electrical way" without a layer wrapped around (ASM - CPU language, OS, etc).
Because of this they are much more efficient, but they can only do what their build for.

You can create an ASIC for everything u want. All you need is the money/ppl to design and create it.

When scrypt (LTC) came out, it was ment to be CPU only. Someone found a way to parallelize the algorythm so mining with GPUs got possible. Later the scrypt based coins got really big so creating ASICs was worth it, now they exist since quite some time.

It is possible to make something really hard to be implemented in an ASIC, but most of ppl who say this dont even understand what their talking about. They just say it as a marketing purpose.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
:)
new site:
http://image.bayimg.com/1ff07e5f6d9a029c0afbf6060611687f35949e66.jpg

please check it out and give us some serious input on the texts before its translated to hindi and so on.

i would like to include some words/themes, i dont know how, or if?

good for newbies:
bitcoin
global

good for techies:
open source

good for activists:
anti-authoritarian
activist
community powered
movement
non-corporative

all proposals are welcome.

Awesome, just awesome Smiley

- News is under last "editor's review now" Tongue I'll be back shortly with post.
Activity: 420
Merit: 251
Moon?
Say your opinion!

A hypothetical question that does not necessarily have any ulterior motive; If Anoncoin switched hashing algorithm, what type of hashing algorithm would you liked to see then?

a cpu only algo

+

By the way,any hashing algorithm will be matched by ASICS in the coming time.I'm not worried about the algorithm.

How come any hashing algorithm will be matched by ASIC ? Is it possible to explain this in layman terms?
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
new site:
http://image.bayimg.com/1ff07e5f6d9a029c0afbf6060611687f35949e66.jpg

please check it out and give us some serious input on the texts before its translated to hindi and so on.

i would like to include some words/themes, i dont know how, or if?

good for newbies:
bitcoin
global

good for techies:
open source

good for activists:
anti-authoritarian
activist
community powered
movement
non-corporative

all proposals are welcome.
Any news about ZC? When it will be done?
Bad-english-man

We shall wait for the weekly update from almighty meeh.

Catchy name...
Qak
Activity: 4
Any news about ZC? When it will be done?
Bad-english-man
legendary
/dev/null
legendary
/dev/null
Say your opinion!

a cpu only algo

+

WDL
Activity: 54
Say your opinion!

a cpu only algo

+

Activity: 700
Merit: 508
Thanks for all the feedback!!  Grin

It's soon time to move away from i2psam now, and over to libi2p btw, more tomorrow @ PS weekly Grin

Excellent! I look forwards to direct i2p integration.  Grin
Thanks for all the feedback!!  Grin

It's soon time to move away from i2psam now, and over to libi2p btw, more tomorrow @ PS weekly Grin
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

Although I have to disagree cryptonight is CPU only, Claymore GPU miner for instance give 474 H/s for an R9 280x (50% efficiency)... although ofc it is not the huge improvement that other algo sees and its only double from a good CPU.

I agree with the cryptonight algo for CPU one Smiley

my 2c

Say your opinion!

An Atom C2750 can get 53H/s on four out of eight threads on 20W TDP processor.  If the CPU's L2 cache could be doubled then it'd probably get ~100H/s at < 30W TDP.
legendary
Say your opinion!

Just to explore the hypothetical, what would be the reason for switching the hashing algorithm?

As they use Scrypt and their network hashrate is relatively dangerously low.  Dogecoin whose network hashrate was relatively massive compared to Anoncoin has already decided to use AuxPoW (merge-mine) with Litecoin to combat that same problem.  Unless Anoncoin changes its hashing algorithm quickly.  Then a lone single Scrypt ASIC miner could easily pull off a 51% attack on Anoncoin just for LoLZ or even destroy the coin completely.  I suppose the easiest option would be to copy Dogecoin's move and AuxPoW with Litecoin.  Although that then opens up the dilemma of ASIC centralisation, but it would probably strengthen the Anoncoin network the most out of any option.  AuxPoW with Myriadcoin is my favorite option.  Followed by AuxPoW with Vertcoin as they're committed to stopping their coin to succumb to ASIC's.
Activity: 57
I agree with matthewh3 on the multi-algo merge mining with myriadcoin like explained here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/multi-vpow-and-block-tips-myriadcoins-solution-to-parasitic-merge-mining-725991

Different algo can be put like scrypt/Myr groestl/skein/VTC algo/cryptonight with different amount of reward.

Although I have to disagree cryptonight is CPU only, Claymore GPU miner for instance give 474 H/s for an R9 280x (50% efficiency)... although ofc it is not the huge improvement that other algo sees and its only double from a good CPU.

I agree with the cryptonight algo for CPU one Smiley

my 2c

Say your opinion!

Not quite sure... I'd say CPU only BUT ... in the end the hashing Algo won't change much, right? Mostly the price would be influenced by this.
If we would be able to mine more ANC with cheaper gadgets ... or more ANC with more expensive ones, the price will fluctuate in the beginning.

Huh why not let ANC stay the way it is? but well yeah, I prefer CPU ... simply cuz I got a bad GPU

The only CPU hashing algorithm that is truly CPU biased (at the moment) is the Cryptonight algorithm that Monero uses.  Being so CPU biased does leave it open to most of the hashed coins going to botnets.  Going to Cryptonight and usuing AuxPoW with Monero is a good option in my opinion as Anoncoin and Monero have already partnered up on the I2p work - https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/CryptoNight - with the latest smartphones getting 64bit ARM processors then it may eventually become possible for anyone with a smartphone to earn some ANC (while charging) and earn a stake in the network easily.  Although the more CPU biased a coin is then the more profitable it is for botnets to hash.
Other good options include the new NeoScrypt that Feathercoin is looking at.  Which seems like it will be GPU biased eventually which should help keep the botnets a bit further away from owning all the hashed coins - www.feathercoin.com/neo-scrypt-press-release.pdf - Or the Lyra2 algo that Vertcoin is moving too looks like it should be GPU biased - https://vertcoin.org/pow-algorithm-upgrade-lyra2
My favorite option though is a myriad of those three algo's and possible more while also utilizing AuxPoW with the respective coins.  As the AuxPoW will greatly increase the hashrate of each chain therefore making it a lot more secure from attack.  Also using a myriad scheme then an attacker would need to control more than one chain.  If that idea entails more work than the devs have time for.  Then my next favorite option would be AuxPoW with Myriadcoin itself.  Then my next favorite option is AuxPoW with either Vertcoin, Feathercoin or Monero and in that order of preference.  As the Vertcoin devs has stated they will always do whatever is possible to avoid ASIC centralisation.  While Monero with Cryptonight opens up the doors to botnets although does have advantages too that anyone with a CPU can hash it.
All the options I suggest avoid the centralisation of ASIC's (for now).  While if you was to use a myriad scheme plus AuxPoW with each respective coin then the network would become very secure from attack.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Lean into the curves.
Say your opinion!

Just to explore the hypothetical, what would be the reason for switching the hashing algorithm?
legendary
Say your opinion!

Not quite sure... I'd say CPU only BUT ... in the end the hashing Algo won't change much, right? Mostly the price would be influenced by this.
If we would be able to mine more ANC with cheaper gadgets ... or more ANC with more expensive ones, the price will fluctuate in the beginning.

Huh why not let ANC stay the way it is? but well yeah, I prefer CPU ... simply cuz I got a bad GPU

The only CPU hashing algorithm that is truly CPU biased (at the moment) is the Cryptonight algorithm that Monero uses.  Being so CPU biased does leave it open to most of the hashed coins going to botnets.  Going to Cryptonight and usuing AuxPoW with Monero is a good option in my opinion as Anoncoin and Monero have already partnered up on the I2p work - https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/CryptoNight - with the latest smartphones getting 64bit ARM processors then it may eventually become possible for anyone with a smartphone to earn some ANC (while charging) and earn a stake in the network easily.  Although the more CPU biased a coin is then the more profitable it is for botnets to hash.
Other good options include the new NeoScrypt that Feathercoin is looking at.  Which seems like it will be GPU biased eventually which should help keep the botnets a bit further away from owning all the hashed coins - www.feathercoin.com/neo-scrypt-press-release.pdf - Or the Lyra2 algo that Vertcoin is moving too looks like it should be GPU biased - https://vertcoin.org/pow-algorithm-upgrade-lyra2
My favorite option though is a myriad of those three algo's and possible more while also utilizing AuxPoW with the respective coins.  As the AuxPoW will greatly increase the hashrate of each chain therefore making it a lot more secure from attack.  Also using a myriad scheme then an attacker would need to control more than one chain.  If that idea entails more work than the devs have time for.  Then my next favorite option would be AuxPoW with Myriadcoin itself.  Then my next favorite option is AuxPoW with either Vertcoin, Feathercoin or Monero and in that order of preference.  As the Vertcoin devs has stated they will always do whatever is possible to avoid ASIC centralisation.  While Monero with Cryptonight opens up the doors to botnets although does have advantages too that anyone with a CPU can hash it.
All the options I suggest avoid the centralisation of ASIC's (for now).  While if you was to use a myriad scheme plus AuxPoW with each respective coin then the network would become very secure from attack.
Could you please add rss to your blog?

It's on my todo list, I will fix it. But ANC needs some love first Smiley
What about this: "For Norwegians with Android phones, today will be a great day. I'll get back to it later Smiley"

Have a look on Twitter : ) ...

Well, I2p for Android released.. on GPlay : ) great step forward for mobilephones.

Also been talking with developers wrt Anoncoin on Android, working version not far away. But more on that @ Monday, Privacy Solutions weekly news.

Hm, hope It's not "HashEngineering". I think by now many many Android Wallets for Android do not have the most important option of all ... to Encrypt the wallet.
By now they offer NFC or URLs or loading Blockchain via Bluetooth ... who uses that? I would easily exchange these features for a Passwort protected wallet file on Android.

We all know that most people don't have their phones secures and people other people can simply access phones from a few meters away

That would be a feature we can brag about and can advertise the wallet with.
Jump to: