Pages:
Author

Topic: Official Anoncoin chat thread (including history) - page 53. (Read 530606 times)

Activity: 249
Merit: 250
Obvious, I may misread Cryptoslaves posting. To me it sounded like the node communications changes are so big, that they alone also need a/would be a hardfork.

Relaunch because it looks to me (from this thread), that the distribution is so bad, that it hinders adoption/community growth. Judging from (the activity in) this thread, there cant be more then 15 people that hold significant amounts of ANC and want to develope an vivid ANC ecosystem.
So, relaunch the same coin with a new logo, along with promises we can't keep? Maybe you weren't paying attention, but over the past year several such coins were released! Smiley
One last (serious) comment concerning the ANC ecosystem. It used to be that my anoncoin client would only connect to a couple of i2p peers, but for the past month or so I have consistently been connecting to the maximum number: 12. So, someone is using Anoncoin. Fortunately, since i2p is anonymous, I don't know who.
Obvious, I may misread Cryptoslaves posting. To me it sounded like the node communications changes are so big, that they alone also need a/would be a hardfork.

Relaunch because it looks to me (from this thread), that the distribution is so bad, that it hinders adoption/community growth. Judging from (the activity in) this thread, there cant be more then 15 people that hold significant amounts of ANC and want to develope an vivid ANC ecosystem.
So, relaunch the same coin with a new logo, along with promises we can't keep? Maybe you weren't paying attention, but over the past year several such coins were released! Smiley
Hi Darkota,

I don't think that Anoncoin has been pumped and dumped repeatedly by the developers. It is true that Anoncoin has seen price manipulation like any other coin with low trading volume, but I don't see the hands of the developers in this. It is also true that the Gnosis's implementation of zerocoin was overhyped: my impression is that he was overly naive about the time commitment required to finish the job and that he did not profit from this (though I could be wrong, I am basing this on personal communication with him and judgement of his character).

Now that Cryptoslave and myself and acting as project managers, all development on the coin will be in the open on the Anoncoin development schedule. We will announce here only when new builds/release-candidates/releases are available, or when important milestones have been met. There will be no hype coming from the development team. If we have lost your trust, we hope to earn it back.

When will you be asking for volunteers for testnet? The development schedule says testnet 4 is "soon"?

Thanks!

Are we close to release of the next client?

The Anoncoin development schedule got updated today, please check it.

In short, we have now decided to do a hardfork instead of a softfork. I will briefly explain why.

At first, we are still plagued with mining issues due to the timewarp attack on the old KGW difficulty algorithm. Because we think this shall be overcome as soon as possible, we decided to change the difficulty algorithm in this very fork. This change can only be done with a hardfork so we acknowledged the need for one. This being stated, it was deemed beneficiary to also switch to a two algos chain at the same time, in this fork, instead that later.

So more precisely, with regard to the difficulty algorithm, GroundRod has developed AncShield, a fork of Digibyte's Multishield. The parameters have been chosen to avoid a timewarp attack by adjusting difficulty up more harshly than down, in contrast to digishield/multishield. Those parameters have yet to be tested by the devteam with several attack vectors and could be further modified, if needed.

Secondly, to avoid our chain been stuck at a high diff due to multipools jumping on and off, because our AncShield parameters are chosen to primarily avoid TW attack and hence for this purpose will be taking more time than digishield/multishield to return to the mean difficulty, we have decided to fork now on a two algos chain POW model. Thus, by following myriadcoin example, we will incorporate, in this fork, two POW algos, namely the original Scrypt algo but also SHA256d. Both mining algorithms will thus be ASIC minable and blocks will be distributed equally between the two algorithms, thus a Scrypt/SHA256d 1/1 mining model. Each algo will on average finds one block every 6 minutes, keeping the normal pace of Anoncoin mining schedule as actually used (ie one block every 3 min). The benefits for the Anoncoin network will be a better security with regards to a 51% attack as well as a better spread of block mining time (if one algo is stuck at a high diff due to a multipool jumping off, the other algorithm will not be affected). No merge mining will be allowed for any of the two algorithms in this hardfork, although for security reason this could eventually happen in a (distant) future. Until then Anoncoin will remain a pure POW coin. We also finally chose to not include a CPU mining algorithm such as PRIME for fear of low hashrate and thus opening risk of an attack from botnet. Same logical reasoning made us avoid GPU algorithms, to not be in the same situation than myriadcoin is with Groestl right now. The two algos implementation is still a work in progress.

Thirdly, a recent analysis by GroundRod of our 70007 node protocol version was effected. As it turns out, there is the need to improve the compatibility of the clearnet and the I2P nodes. This is a serious issue and we shall make wise use of the hardfork to implement a new way for both networks (clearnet and I2P) to communicate flawlessly. We will not release a public version of the client without having corrected it as we want to have the best I2P implementation for Anoncoin, due to our coin being the default I2P-cipherspace cryptocurrency. This is what is taking the time of the devteam right now.

Fourthly, the Anoncoin's test network (testnet) and regression test mode (regtest) were both updated to our new codebase. As soon as we will switch to the two algo mining, we will run a testnet and let interested people know about it to help us in detecting any bug that can result from all those changes. Meanwhile the Anoncoin develop builds are available, soon we will be at 0.9.4.5 version. BTW anyone using the 0.9.4.2 develop version shall update to the most recent version. Please check How to build Anoncoin.

Finally now we have bootstrap files available as explained in How to use a bootstrap.

We are sorry the price does not follow the work we are applying to the coin, but in time we hope this will be aknowledged by the community and price will correct. Of course, we cannot avoid people cashing out of anoncoin during this bitcoin rally.

CS

How can you guys suck this much? Switching to a new algo should be a matter of days, not weeks and definitely not months. The darkcoin dev team puts you guys to shame it's ridiculous.

For your info, Darkcoin uses a single proof of work algorithm. You are correct that if we changed simply from Scrypt to SHA that it would be simple. However, we are implementing a model similar to Myriad where we will be using two different proof of work algos at the same time. Also, i believe that Darkcoin has full time developers, whereas Anoncoin is, and always has been, based on volunteers.

Cheers,
Activity: 954
Merit: 104
ludenaprotocol.io
Why so angry? I think it's good that the admins really ARE dedicated, and that is what matters. Thumbs up!

+1

Thanks guys for your continuous development efforts on ANC!
DRK may develop things faster, but they are less and less focused on anonymity...
Activity: 95
Merit: 10
Why so angry? I think it's good that the admins really ARE dedicated, and that is what matters. Thumbs up!
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Hi Darkota,

I don't think that Anoncoin has been pumped and dumped repeatedly by the developers. It is true that Anoncoin has seen price manipulation like any other coin with low trading volume, but I don't see the hands of the developers in this. It is also true that the Gnosis's implementation of zerocoin was overhyped: my impression is that he was overly naive about the time commitment required to finish the job and that he did not profit from this (though I could be wrong, I am basing this on personal communication with him and judgement of his character).

Now that Cryptoslave and myself and acting as project managers, all development on the coin will be in the open on the Anoncoin development schedule. We will announce here only when new builds/release-candidates/releases are available, or when important milestones have been met. There will be no hype coming from the development team. If we have lost your trust, we hope to earn it back.

When will you be asking for volunteers for testnet? The development schedule says testnet 4 is "soon"?

Thanks!

In short, we have now decided to do a hardfork instead of a softfork. I will briefly explain why.

At first, we are still plagued with mining issues due to the timewarp attack on the old KGW difficulty algorithm. Because we think this shall be overcome as soon as possible, we decided to change the difficulty algorithm in this very fork. This change can only be done with a hardfork so we acknowledged the need for one. This being stated, it was deemed beneficiary to also switch to a two algos chain at the same time, in this fork, instead that later.

So more precisely, with regard to the difficulty algorithm, GroundRod has developed AncShield, a fork of Digibyte's Multishield. The parameters have been chosen to avoid a timewarp attack by adjusting difficulty up more harshly than down, in contrast to digishield/multishield. Those parameters have yet to be tested by the devteam with several attack vectors and could be further modified, if needed.

Secondly, to avoid our chain been stuck at a high diff due to multipools jumping on and off, because our AncShield parameters are chosen to primarily avoid TW attack and hence for this purpose will be taking more time than digishield/multishield to return to the mean difficulty, we have decided to fork now on a two algos chain POW model. Thus, by following myriadcoin example, we will incorporate, in this fork, two POW algos, namely the original Scrypt algo but also SHA256d. Both mining algorithms will thus be ASIC minable and blocks will be distributed equally between the two algorithms, thus a Scrypt/SHA256d 1/1 mining model. Each algo will on average finds one block every 6 minutes, keeping the normal pace of Anoncoin mining schedule as actually used (ie one block every 3 min). The benefits for the Anoncoin network will be a better security with regards to a 51% attack as well as a better spread of block mining time (if one algo is stuck at a high diff due to a multipool jumping off, the other algorithm will not be affected). No merge mining will be allowed for any of the two algorithms in this hardfork, although for security reason this could eventually happen in a (distant) future. Until then Anoncoin will remain a pure POW coin. We also finally chose to not include a CPU mining algorithm such as PRIME for fear of low hashrate and thus opening risk of an attack from botnet. Same logical reasoning made us avoid GPU algorithms, to not be in the same situation than myriadcoin is with Groestl right now. The two algos implementation is still a work in progress.

Thirdly, a recent analysis by GroundRod of our 70007 node protocol version was effected. As it turns out, there is the need to improve the compatibility of the clearnet and the I2P nodes. This is a serious issue and we shall make wise use of the hardfork to implement a new way for both networks (clearnet and I2P) to communicate flawlessly. We will not release a public version of the client without having corrected it as we want to have the best I2P implementation for Anoncoin, due to our coin being the default I2P-cipherspace cryptocurrency. This is what is taking the time of the devteam right now.

Fourthly, the Anoncoin's test network (testnet) and regression test mode (regtest) were both updated to our new codebase. As soon as we will switch to the two algo mining, we will run a testnet and let interested people know about it to help us in detecting any bug that can result from all those changes. Meanwhile the Anoncoin develop builds are available, soon we will be at 0.9.4.5 version. BTW anyone using the 0.9.4.2 develop version shall update to the most recent version. Please check How to build Anoncoin.

Finally now we have bootstrap files available as explained in How to use a bootstrap.

We are sorry the price does not follow the work we are applying to the coin, but in time we hope this will be aknowledged by the community and price will correct. Of course, we cannot avoid people cashing out of anoncoin during this bitcoin rally.

CS

How can you guys suck this much? Switching to a new algo should be a matter of days, not weeks and definitely not months. The darkcoin dev team puts you guys to shame it's ridiculous.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist

Start a new blockchain! Make a fair launch.

How can changing how nodes communicate can be a hard fork? Why? All other coins can do this without hardk forking.
Anoncoin was launched fairly. Why would we relaunch?

As for hardforking: Any coin that changes from a single POW algorithm to two would have to hardfork.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
Start a new blockchain! Make a fair launch.

How can changing how nodes communicate can be a hard fork? Why? All other coins can do this without hardk forking.
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
Hi Darkota,

Thanks!

CS
Activity: 532

Between 1 day and 1 year away. Think I'm gonna lower my big sell wall and cap the price since no one is buying this shit coin anyway!
Activity: 414
Merit: 251
Activity: 686
Hi Darkota,

Thanks!

Thanks for doing this!

Can someone work with Mullick to test the new wallet before the next release? It would be nice to have ANC trading at Cryptsy again right away once the new wallet is out.

I was going to beta test it on Xubuntu 14.04x64 but get the following error after
Code:
./configure

Code:
checking for Berkeley DB C++ headers... default
configure: error: Found Berkeley DB other than 4.8, required for portable wallets (--with-incompatible-bdb to ignore or --disable-wallet to disable wallet functionality)

Will I have to change to Berkeley DB 4.8 to use the new wallet.  As I'm not sure if some of my other wallets would like that?  Or will the new Linux binaries be ok like the current ANC wallet I have works.  Although I think I currently use the i2p repo.  Will that be updated with the new wallet timely.

You might want to try to compile all the dependencies in the directory "depends", and then use

Code:
./configure --prefix=`pwd`/depends/

This should be foolproof, but obviously will take a bit more effort.

If you get this to build on Xubuntu, we can add explicit instructions on the wiki here: https://wiki.anoncoin.net/How_to_build_Anoncoin_develop

though I doubt that they will differ much from the stand linux instructions.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null

Thanks for doing this!

Can someone work with Mullick to test the new wallet before the next release? It would be nice to have ANC trading at Cryptsy again right away once the new wallet is out.

I was going to beta test it on Xubuntu 14.04x64 but get the following error after
Code:
./configure

Code:
configure: error: Found Berkeley DB other than 4.8, required for portable wallets (--with-incompatible-bdb to ignore or --disable-wallet to disable wallet functionality)

Will I have to change to Berkeley DB 4.8 to use the new wallet.  As I'm not sure if some of my other wallets would like that?  Or will the new Linux binaries be ok like the current ANC wallet I have works.  Although I think I currently use the i2p repo.  Will that be updated with the new wallet timely.
you should always use 4.8, otherwise you will have serious issues (if not already, then in the future).
if you use the i2p (kytv?)s repo for anoncoin, ask him what libdb++ he uses or check it yourself.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

Thanks for doing this!

Code:
./configure

Code:

Activity: 686
Anoncoin subreddit

Would there happen to be anyone here who might be interested in styling the Anoncoin page at reddit? I just installed a new css-based theme (Naut), but unfortunately, I don't have the time to figure this out myself. In essence, you would just have to add some kind of logo to the top of the page, modify some background and link colors, and remove a couple of menu items. There are a couple of add ons that could be installed as well (http://www.reddit.com/r/naut/wiki/index).

Just PM me if this interests you. You will need to know a little css.

Lunokhod
Thanks to CookieL for modernizing the Reddit page (http://www.reddit.com/r/Anoncoin/). If you have any comments or suggestions, please let him know.

Thanks for doing this!

Anoncoin subreddit

Would there happen to be anyone here who might be interested in styling the Anoncoin page at reddit? I just installed a new css-based theme (Naut), but unfortunately, I don't have the time to figure this out myself. In essence, you would just have to add some kind of logo to the top of the page, modify some background and link colors, and remove a couple of menu items. There are a couple of add ons that could be installed as well (http://www.reddit.com/r/naut/wiki/index).

Lunokhod
Thanks to CookieL for modernizing the Reddit page (http://www.reddit.com/r/Anoncoin/). If you have any comments or suggestions, please let him know.

Anoncoin subreddit

Lunokhod
New Anoncoin developer builds

This is just to let everyone know that we have put out our first 0.9.4 developer builds for testing on the anoncoin web site. At this moment, we have builds only for OSX and win64: linux builds will be added later.

These binaries are for testing purposes only, so please use caution and be sure to back up your wallet. We would be interested in any feedback you might have, so please let the developers know if you run into any problems or have ideas for improvement.

If you would like to compile the code yourself, instructions can be found here.

I cannot seem to find the source for 0.9.4

Hi Mullick,

Sorry if my post was not clear, but I was referring to builds of our "develop" branch. We are looking for feedback back from anyone who is interested in testing these. Our next step will be to create a release-candidate and then a full release of 0.9.4 that would be suitable for use at exchanges. We are currently working on building the test suites and doing some testing on the testnet.

The source for our develop branch is located here: https://github.com/Anoncoin/anoncoin/tree/develop

cheers,

Pages:
Jump to: