Pages:
Author

Topic: Official Anoncoin chat thread (including history) - page 99. (Read 530606 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Just noticed that the info about ANC being traded on Bittrex has still not been updated on the OP !
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
This was a good review of the problem - thanks for compiling this.  Looks like if the transaction size is too big it will fail to confirm regardless of the the fee included. Can we get a dev response?  Are you guys trying to identify this bug?  The doesn't seem like it should be a very difficult thing to fix, probably just a couple lines of code.
I posted that they shouldnt change fee settings and/or also shouldnt patch the client o allow such huge txs (txs are limited to 100KB normaly).
Nothing from our side to be done  as there is nothing to fix. If someone dosnt want to play according to the rules, they shouldnt wonder why things break. Thats the beauty of a decentralized system.

mullick says they don't patch anoncoind. Maybe they are doing some exotic combination of RPC commands (sendrawtransaction...)? I still think there's a way to create txs bigger than 100KB with an un-patched anoncoind, just not an easy way.

I will PM mullick now to ask what RPC commands are being performed.
Yes, with sendrawtransaction you obviously can create larger txs as you create the tx yourself.
Activity: 249
Merit: 250
Greetings.  So I've been trying to figure out what exactly zerocoin is etc and since you guys seem to be the only ones actually doing anything with it, I'm hoping you can answer my questions about it.

1. The first question is about this statement "Using 8 cores on a 2.4GHz Core i7, Zerocoin spend transactions would take about 3 seconds to generate, and about 0.5 s to verify."  What sort of time frames would that be for more a "mainsteam" system like maybe an I3.  Or, and this wasn't clear to me from the various things I was reading, are those transactions actually done by the miners and so it doesn't actually apply to regular users?

2. Is zerocoin basically just a "mixer"? i.e. you can't actually do transactions with other people with them? The zerocoin site is somewhat confusing as it talks about both zerocoin and zerocash but everytime it talks about transactions, it references zerocash.  In addition, the zerocoin whitepaper's example is of a person minting and then collecting their own coins.

3. Is there a record on the blockchain of how many coins an address minted or collected?  It would seem to me that one way or another, there would be a balance reflected on the blockchain that others could see.  So let's say I wasn't all that bright and I minted 133t coins from one wallet address and collected l337 coins on another.  In this case it wouldn't be all that hard to "track" what I was doing correct?

Here are some partial answers:

1. Not sure, but lets say that on an old system the times are 10 times slower: half a minute seems like a small price to pay for anonymity.

2. Zerocoin is in effect a mixing pool. However, the mixing pool contains everyone who ever bought a zerocoin. The size of this mixing pool will be many orders of magnitude larger than those used with other coins.

3. You are right about this example. I suspect that the wallet will have a check to make sure that the user doesn't do something stupid like that. Another potential problem is a timing analysis. If you buy some zerocoins, and then immediately redeem only a portion of them, this might look suspicious in the block chain. As far as i know, these are the only flaws with the zerocoin model: timing analysis, and minting/spending the exact same amount.
Activity: 686
Merit: 320
Greetings.  So I've been trying to figure out what exactly zerocoin is etc and since you guys seem to be the only ones actually doing anything with it, I'm hoping you can answer my questions about it.

1. The first question is about this statement "Using 8 cores on a 2.4GHz Core i7, Zerocoin spend transactions would take about 3 seconds to generate, and about 0.5 s to verify."  What sort of time frames would that be for more a "mainsteam" system like maybe an I3.  Or, and this wasn't clear to me from the various things I was reading, are those transactions actually done by the miners and so it doesn't actually apply to regular users?

2. Is zerocoin basically just a "mixer"? i.e. you can't actually do transactions with other people with them? The zerocoin site is somewhat confusing as it talks about both zerocoin and zerocash but everytime it talks about transactions, it references zerocash.  In addition, the zerocoin whitepaper's example is of a person minting and then collecting their own coins.

3. Is there a record on the blockchain of how many coins an address minted or collected?  It would seem to me that one way or another, there would be a balance reflected on the blockchain that others could see.  So let's say I wasn't all that bright and I minted 133t coins from one wallet address and collected l337 coins on another.  In this case it wouldn't be all that hard to "track" what I was doing correct?
Activity: 101
Merit: 10
This was a good review of the problem - thanks for compiling this.  Looks like if the transaction size is too big it will fail to confirm regardless of the the fee included. Can we get a dev response?  Are you guys trying to identify this bug?  The doesn't seem like it should be a very difficult thing to fix, probably just a couple lines of code.
I posted that they shouldnt change fee settings and/or also shouldnt patch the client o allow such huge txs (txs are limited to 100KB normaly).
Nothing from our side to be done  as there is nothing to fix. If someone dosnt want to play according to the rules, they shouldnt wonder why things break. Thats the beauty of a decentralized system.

mullick says they don't patch anoncoind. Maybe they are doing some exotic combination of RPC commands (sendrawtransaction...)? I still think there's a way to create txs bigger than 100KB with an un-patched anoncoind, just not an easy way.

I will PM mullick now to ask what RPC commands are being performed.
Activity: 158

troll post deleted

lol how much are they paying you? Your 3rd trolling account in as many weeks. someone is desperately trying to shake out weak hands.

Hardfork to fix mining difficulty is imminent and Zerocoin beta is days away.

We are now traded on Bittrex.  Soon the world will notice our Zero Knowledge anonymous transactions and widespread adoption will begin.

I no longer fear trolls. They are too late.
Activity: 336

lol how much are they paying you? Your 3rd trolling account in as many weeks. someone is desperately trying to shake out weak hands.
Activity: 41
Merit: 0
Activity: 82
hi, please help. My wallet sync is stuck at 6 weeks, no more connections. Anoncoin version v0.8.5.1-88-g87bdacc-beta
That's my understanding, but shouldn't the wallet be able to handle this by adding a larger mining fee so that the txn gets confirmed?
The default wallet dosnt create transaction bigger than 100KB, https://github.com/Anoncoin/anoncoin/blob/master/src/main.h#L33
Everything above is non-standard and not mined with default settings/codebase.

So if I tried to create a transaction above 100KB would the client throw an error message? Are you absolutely positive that it would be impossible to create a txn above 100KB with this code?  Have we tested it?  I just find it hard to believe the cryptsy rep would come in here and lie about using our source code to create invalid transactions.
legendary
/dev/null
Nothing from our side to be done  as there is nothing to fix. If someone dosnt want to play according to the rules, they shouldnt wonder why things break. Thats the beauty of a decentralized system.

I guess what I don't understand is: Cryptsy claims they are compiling directly from source, so why is the wallet creating transactions above 100KB by default?  

I imagine that their house wallet contains squillions of sub 1 ANC coins; to make  my withdrawal they needed 400 inputs - all nickel and dime amounts and the size.

EDIT: not exactly sub 1 ANC but relatively small when compared to what is a reasonably sized parcel of ANC to trade

This was it here: http://ancblockchain.com/tx/f615e8772e65dcf1da14154a9926df7e07f30b534745ce980760ff0b3a17aee6

./anoncoin/src/anoncoind getrawtransaction f615e8772e65dcf1da14154a9926df7e07f30b534745ce980760ff0b3a17aee6 | wc
      1       1  143393
( ie: 143kB )

That's my understanding, but shouldn't the wallet be able to handle this by adding a larger mining fee so that the txn gets confirmed?
The default wallet dosnt create transaction bigger than 100KB, https://github.com/Anoncoin/anoncoin/blob/master/src/main.h#L33
Everything above is non-standard and not mined with default settings/codebase.
Nothing from our side to be done  as there is nothing to fix. If someone dosnt want to play according to the rules, they shouldnt wonder why things break. Thats the beauty of a decentralized system.

I guess what I don't understand is: Cryptsy claims they are compiling directly from source, so why is the wallet creating transactions above 100KB by default?  

I imagine that their house wallet contains squillions of sub 1 ANC coins; to make  my withdrawal they needed 400 inputs - all nickel and dime amounts and the size.

EDIT: not exactly sub 1 ANC but relatively small when compared to what is a reasonably sized parcel of ANC to trade

This was it here: http://ancblockchain.com/tx/f615e8772e65dcf1da14154a9926df7e07f30b534745ce980760ff0b3a17aee6

./anoncoin/src/anoncoind getrawtransaction f615e8772e65dcf1da14154a9926df7e07f30b534745ce980760ff0b3a17aee6 | wc
      1       1  143393

Activity: 73
There's a new king in the streets

1       1  143393

Activity: 182
How come the ANC/BTC exchange rate in anoncoin mining pool is showing as 0.00000434 HuhHuh?

EDIT: It's back to normal ! (Phew!!!!)
legendary
/dev/null
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003
I tried to browse through this thread but it's just huge so sorry if I missed it if this has been discussed already - has there been (and if so, what kind of) improvements made to the original zerocoin wrt scaling/performance, fixed denominations (no change transactions), or hiding tx amounts?

Check the official wiki
Pages:
Jump to: