Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 256. (Read 5805531 times)

legendary
Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000
I've looked through the FAQ and SCRYPT-README file, but could not find an answer to this.

If I run the following with version 3.3.2, the following error comes back:
Code:
cgminer --scrypt
cgminer: --scrypt: unrecognized option

Every thread I found from Googling says to recompile the source in linux and enable scrypt. However I am using windows and can not rebuild.

Does anyone know where to find a cgminer binary for windows with scrypt enabled? I would have thought it would be included in the standard build.
Activity: 258
Merit: 250
My long-delayed BFL Little Single just arrived and I excitedly opened it up only to find a plethora of errors when trying to mine it with CGMiner. It currently recognizes the device as both "BFL0" and "BFL4" in error messages. Error messages range from "Comms error" to "Error: send work reports" to "Garbled response probably throttling, clearing buffer" and more. The temperature of the device is often listed at 28 degrees, but it is never shown mining (while my GPUs are)

I initially had an issue with driver recognition (Win7) which was ultimately solved by doing a windows search for drivers fix... Any fellow BFL "customers" (venture capital investors) have any tips?
Activity: 658
Exactly. It's actually impossible now to specify all scrypt settings using solely the config file, since the intensity sanity check doesn't detect "scrypt" : true from the config file.

Code:
"kernel" : "scrypt"

This didn't help, and seems redundant. I've never had to specify a kernel for scrypt, only one exists anyway. I'll just wait for the sanity check code to be fixed.
It's not redundant if you use that instead of --scrypt on the command line. I was just telling you how to put it into the config file.

I did put that in the config file (in addition to the "scrypt" : true that was already there, above the intensity line), and cgminer's new sanity check still didn't detect I was using scrypt. It's clearly tied to the "scrypt" setting, which just isn't picked up from a config file yet . The setting itself works fine, enabling scrypt mode, but the sanity check code doesn't detect it's there. It also fails to detect scrypt mode if -I is specified on the command line before --scrypt. Neither of these bugs existed before 3.3.2.

Code:
"scrypt" : true,
"kernel" : "scrypt",
"gpu-engine" : "690,550,650,690",
"gpu-fan" : "80,100,100,100",
"gpu-memclock" : "930,720,790,930",
"gpu-threads" : "1",
"gpu-vddc" : "0.95",
"intensity" : "17",
"thread-concurrency" : "8192"

The above config settings still won't allow high intensities, if --scrypt is not used in the command line. I can't see what that kernel setting is supposed to do with scrypt, since the default kernel is the only one that can/will be used.

I'm confident ckolivas can fix this easily. I was actually surprised the GPU mining code is still being modified.
Activity: 591
Merit: 500
Exactly. It's actually impossible now to specify all scrypt settings using solely the config file, since the intensity sanity check doesn't detect "scrypt" : true from the config file.

Code:

This didn't help, and seems redundant. I've never had to specify a kernel for scrypt, only one exists anyway. I'll just wait for the sanity check code to be fixed.
It's not redundant if you use that instead of --scrypt on the command line. I was just telling you how to put it into the config file.

Code:

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
Activity: 591
Merit: 500

Code:
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001
First problem found in  --avalon-freq Set frequency range for avalon-auto, single value or range

with range set from 330-360 this is not working and miner has been sat on 330 for over an hour not increasing on decreasing in speed yet on previous version was working?
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014
It's not that big a deal, I only just heard of it and I'll fix it next version. Let the discussion go.

I am not blaming anyone or trying to make a fuss, just reporting/confirming a bug.
CGMiner is the program for mining for me and I like to see it at top level.
Which reminds me, I don't believe I donated before. A small thank you something sent to 15qSxP1SQcUX3o4nhkfdbgyoWEFMomJ4rZ  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3583
Merit: 1094
Think for yourself
Well that may make sense if it were a scrypt miner.  But it is not it's a Bitcoin mining program which has graciously added scrypt support.

So this is not a bug.

Maybe clarification in the Scrypt Readme, if its not already there, would be in order.
Sam
I call bullshit on pretty much everything in this post.  But a fix may not be the highest priority so at least a note as to the behavior would be useful.

OK, fine,  I'm just expressing my opinion a bit and attempting to apply common sense.

It would just seem to make sense to me to tell the the mining software what type of mining I want it to do before telling it how I want it to mine that specific coin.

The previous posters remark about regression is very valid too, it seems to me.
Later,
Sam
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
It's not that big a deal, I only just heard of it and I'll fix it next version. Let the discussion go.
I noticed this bug as well. It brought 3 of my rigs down one I updated to 3.3.2 They all had -I before --scrypt.
This is a bug and should be fixed. Parameter order should not affect validation.

Well that may make sense if it were a scrypt miner.  But it is not it's a Bitcoin mining program which has graciously added scrypt support.

So this is not a bug.

Maybe clarification in the Scrypt Readme, if its not already there, would be in order.
Sam

Well, in my SW development practice this is called a "regression" as it broke prior existing behaviour. Good enough reason for me to call it a bug.

Activity: 672
Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies
Well that may make sense if it were a scrypt miner.  But it is not it's a Bitcoin mining program which has graciously added scrypt support.

So this is not a bug.

Sam
I call bullshit on pretty much everything in this post.  But a fix may not be the highest priority so at least a note as to the behavior would be useful.
legendary
I noticed this bug as well. It brought 3 of my rigs down one I updated to 3.3.2 They all had -I before --scrypt.
This is a bug and should be fixed. Parameter order should not affect validation.

So this is not a bug.

Sam

Well, in my SW development practice this is called a "regression" as it broke prior existing behaviour. Good enough reason for me to call it a bug.
legendary
Activity: 3583
Merit: 1094
Think for yourself

So this is not a bug.

Sam
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
New release: 3.3.2, 10th August 2013

Cairnsmore1 (yeah. I know...):

I have hold off to upgrade to 3.x from 2.11.3, but today the temptation was too big ;-)

Upgrading etc. all went fine on Ubuntu 12.04.2, worked through the READMEs, did the libusb-1.0.16-rc10, disconnect USB, removed all --scan serial (ttyUSB*) from config file, restart everything, reconnect USB, did NOT issue the modprobe command...

Out of the 6x CM1s, cgminer only detects CMR0, 1 and 2. I let them run for a while with no problems, but of course I'm missing the rest of the boards.

Anyone tried the latest version with CM1s? Any other pointers?

legendary
I tried building the newest git version, and noticed that my linux scrypt miners no longer worked properly. Hashrates were minimal because intensity was only 8. cgminer was complaining about the config being broken, and after starting with -T I saw the error was "Invalid config option --intensity: Invalid value passed to set intensity". This was introduced in commit 2b171f7fae19a451abefd5189ecad64fbd08d8a0, everything still works fine with commit cb6d62de08995cb3ce2ae906dfa629f42d382c21. I'm using intensity 17 on the linux rigs, I don't have the problem on my Windows rigs with a lower intensity.
Try telling it --scrypt before setting the intensity?

I noticed this bug as well. It brought 3 of my rigs down once I updated to 3.3.2 They all had -I before --scrypt.

Activity: 257
Okay 3.3.2 on windows and still slow...

I'm not sure what to do here?

after few minutes everything is sick and back to square 1

Check all your peripherals , USB hub/s , USB cables , power supply etc . Its probably not the miner client. Try swapping out a USB cable or try just one erupter and see if u can get just one to mine at 335 Mh/s.
Activity: 588
Merit: 251
Okay 3.3.2 on windows and still slow...

I'm not sure what to do here?

after few minutes everything is sick and back to square 1

NM- Switched to usb2.0 port of laptop and it's all running great Smiley

Next step pi
I tried building the newest git version, and noticed that my linux scrypt miners no longer worked properly. Hashrates were minimal because intensity was only 8. cgminer was complaining about the config being broken, and after starting with -T I saw the error was "Invalid config option --intensity: Invalid value passed to set intensity". This was introduced in commit 2b171f7fae19a451abefd5189ecad64fbd08d8a0, everything still works fine with commit cb6d62de08995cb3ce2ae906dfa629f42d382c21. I'm using intensity 17 on the linux rigs, I don't have the problem on my Windows rigs with a lower intensity.
Try telling it --scrypt before setting the intensity?

Nope, that didn't help. The windows rigs also have intensity set before scrypt in the config, and it works.

EDIT: --scrypt on the command line makes it works on linux too, though. So you seem to be on the right track. The intensity sanity check just doesn't detect that scrypt is being enabled from the config on linux.
Jump to: