Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 526. (Read 5805546 times)

-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Well I *have* seen reports of new instability with cgminer that people running certain antivirus programs ran into (?avast or something).

I'm running AVG, but the cgminer directory is excluded.  I haven't had any other versions of cgminer crash like that before.  I went back to 2.6.2 for now.

Just telling you what I've seen, and different versions get a different response from the same antivirus software. Quite sure AVG was mentioned and only gets better with a full uninstall, but it's up to you how to tackle it. I only recommend microsoft security essentials, but I'm not a windows person by nature. Even games like HL2 have the same issues... https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9402-MKEN-1517
Activity: 344
Merit: 250
Well I *have* seen reports of new instability with cgminer that people running certain antivirus programs ran into (?avast or something).

I'm running AVG, but the cgminer directory is excluded.  I haven't had any other versions of cgminer crash like that before.  I went back to 2.6.2 for now.

First off even seen your screenshot of cgminer crashing is frightening Tongue

I'm on win7 64-bit home no antivirus, 5970's running cgminer over 24-hours with no crashes

This is something new with 2.6.3.  I haven't had this sort of crash with older versions.

I compile it for bitforce support only, so it won't require any special graphics drivers, since I'm only using it for 2 BFL singles.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
I am getting a lot of "This program has stopped working and will be shutdown" with 2.6.3.  Running windows X32 7 on 13 different miner rigs with 5970, 7970, and some BFL singles.  Both the 7970 rigs and 5970 rigs are getting the error, I have reverted back to 2.6.2, and haven't had issues.  Just thought I'd share.

I compiled cgminer 2.6.3 for windows (windows 7 64 bit), and had it running for 5-6 hours and ran into the same problem.  It didn't just crash so the .bat file could restart it;  it seemed to be stuck there until I clicked "Close program."

Here's a screenshot:

First off even seen your screenshot of cgminer crashing is frightening Tongue

I'm on win7 64-bit home no antivirus, 5970's running cgminer over 24-hours with no crashes

Edit/retoractive reply: the guy 'auctioneeeeer' apparently had rigs withouth BFL's and crashing, under 32-bit windows.

to clarify i'm using 2.6.3 of course
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Activity: 344
I am getting a lot of "This program has stopped working and will be shutdown" with 2.6.3.  Running windows X32 7 on 13 different miner rigs with 5970, 7970, and some BFL singles.  Both the 7970 rigs and 5970 rigs are getting the error, I have reverted back to 2.6.2, and haven't had issues.  Just thought I'd share.

I compiled cgminer 2.6.3 for windows (windows 7 64 bit), and had it running for 5-6 hours and ran into the same problem.  It didn't just crash so the .bat file could restart it;  it seemed to be stuck there until I clicked "Close program."

Here's a screenshot:

Activity: 591
If windows, you can select "custom" instead of "express" when installing or uninstalling.
I'm on Ubuntu and I can select custom when I install the driver, but every option besides the Catalyst control center is grayed out.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
That's really funny/sad/disappointing/pissing me off. Apart from being able to recover from hardware errors, it seems that there is nothing good about all the BFL fixes that went into 2.6.x so far even though 2.5.0 was littered with bugs. The only way I can imagine that the U is lower with the new code is that you are having lots of throttling episodes and it is now throwing out the work during those throttling episodes in an attempt to try and recover - this should be obvious because 2.6.3 will throw a hardware error if it does that. There really isn't anything else that should affect utility that I can think of. Perhaps it's actually keeping the device busier for more sustained periods and it throttles more as a result. Do you get any hardware errors?
EDIT: Oh and usual comment about utility being related to luck till thousands of shares have passed.
legendary
Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016
Perhaps then you have a few files from different SDKs installed. That's usually how segfaults occur. You'll have to go through and do a cleanup. The newer AMD drivers automatically install the SDK themselves.
I know, that's why I'm having the problem. But how do you get the driver to install without the SDK or at least remove the SDK that it installs? Gah, now I gotta remember how I cleaned up all these files last time...

If windows, you can select "custom" instead of "express" when installing or uninstalling.
Activity: 63
Merit: 0
Wait wait wait...what is that?

previously always told to get driver 12.X and SDK 2.X, then told get newest driver 12.6 and use it's built in SDK, is this SDK or something more?

Whatever would be able to let radeon's be detected by software fully when no display is plugged into then, as this should increase slightly the Mhash

Right now I have my main display hooked to onboard and extended the desktop with black background to one off the radeon, otherwise CGMINER doesn't see it properly gives those errors and can't auto fan tune and even MSI afterburner doesn't work

I'm not sure anyone ever recommended the newest drivers/SDK for CGMiner. I remember back when DiabloMiner came out with that update where he wanted people to start doing that, but that's it. Are you sure you're not thinking of that?

Anyway ck, I've given both 2.6.2. and 2.6.3 (using Ubuntu x64 now) a decent test run, nothing too groundbreaking in terms of testing length, but it seems pretty obvious very early on that I don't get results that can compare with 2.5.0. U with my Ubuntu host has dropped from ~847 to about ~823 over about.. oh.. 10 hours or so of testing?
I also had one of my singles start throttling on me (not related to 2.6.3), so I brought it to a Windows machine (Windows 8 actually, heh, the 'leaked" Enterprise RTM) for tuning, and decided to take the opportunity to also test 2.5.0 vs 2.6.3 on here. Again, the U from 2.6.3 is about 11 exactly, and on 2.5.0 is 11.30 on the 832 firmware which is where this single ended up.

Just here to give some experience, not throw fud around - I love the ideas being put in and hopefully we will see them through to fruition.

Perhaps the newer versions require more time to average out their shown rates?
Activity: 756

It doesn't apply my overclock settings and gives me this message on startup, wondering how I would code to fix it if possible:

"ADL found less devices than opencl!
There is possibly more than one display attached to a GPU
Use the gpu map featured to reliably map OpenCL to ADL"
Hardware monitoring may NOT match up with devices!

what OS are you using? if linux, before running cgminer enter:

Code:
$ export DISPLAY=:0

Doesn't show temperature of my cards which is a real problem and makes me have to rely on other overclock software

Have you installed the ADL SDK from AMD? did you copy the appropriate header files into the cgminer ADL directory before compiling?

http://developer.amd.com/sdks/ADLSDK/Pages/default.aspx

Wait wait wait...what is that?

previously always told to get driver 12.X and SDK 2.X, then told get newest driver 12.6 and use it's built in SDK, is this SDK or something more?

Whatever would be able to let radeon's be detected by software fully when no display is plugged into then, as this should increase slightly the Mhash

Right now I have my main display hooked to onboard and extended the desktop with black background to one off the radeon, otherwise CGMINER doesn't see it properly gives those errors and can't auto fan tune and even MSI afterburner doesn't work
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Kano,

any news on Zefir's patch (test found shares and incremente HW: even for FPGAs if they're not ok)?

spiccioli
No, I haven't done it yet.
Zefir's patch obviously isn't how it should be handled properly, but it's OK to use for yourself since it doesn't cause any problems.

As I pointed out in the other thread, I thought it was internally done automatically, but since it isn't, the relevant solution seems to be to add a device api interface for it.

Since that will affect all devices, I'm leaving it until 2.6.x is out of flux due to the BFL issues.
(I not a git guru and usually end up having to redo things when the code is changing - so I avoid it)
I'll post a message in the other thread when it's done.

Basically, yes, when changed it will report HW: errors (which it doesn't at the moment - they just get a message "Share below target")
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
2.6.3 -> https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1079367
An Xubuntu 11.04 64bit executable in my github downloads called cgminer-2.6.3a
https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer/downloads

For anyone who didn't realise, it's just the executable file to put in place of 'cgminer'
Nothing else needs changing
First get and extract the full binary release from ckolivas and then copy my file in place of 'cgminer'

No Problems so far on my GPU, BFL or 2xIcarus

The same configure options as cvolivas' binary version
In case anyone was wondering:
CFLAGS="-O2 -W -Wall" ./configure --enable-icarus --enable-bitforce --enable-ztex --enable-modminer --enable-scrypt

I have also added a WinXP cgminer-2.6.3a.exe

This ONLY has BFL + ICA (as below) thus it doesn't need a computer with OpenCL on it
CFLAGS="-O2 -W -Wall" ./configure --enable-icarus --enable-bitforce

You will most likely also need the windowsdlls.zip file there in my downloads since my *.dll might be slightly different to ckolivas

Kano,

any news on Zefir's patch (test found shares and incremente HW: even for FPGAs if they're not ok)?

spiccioli
Activity: 305
I am getting a lot of "This program has stopped working and will be shutdown" with 2.6.3.  Running windows X32 7 on 13 different miner rigs with 5970, 7970, and some BFL singles.  Both the 7970 rigs and 5970 rigs are getting the error, I have reverted back to 2.6.2, and haven't had issues.  Just thought I'd share.
Perhaps then you have a few files from different SDKs installed. That's usually how segfaults occur. You'll have to go through and do a cleanup. The newer AMD drivers automatically install the SDK themselves.
I know, that's why I'm having the problem. But how do you get the driver to install without the SDK or at least remove the SDK that it installs? Gah, now I gotta remember how I cleaned up all these files last time...
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
With my binaries you need to install opencl, usually from AMD, although the NVIDIA or even the Intel one will suffice. This has ALWAYS been the case.

http://developer.amd.com/sdks/AMDAPPSDK/downloads/Pages/default.aspx
So I tried to get the 2.5 SDK installed alongside 12.1 (yet again) and I get nothing but segfaults. Seriously, how do you get both of them installed?
With my binaries you need to install opencl, usually from AMD, although the NVIDIA or even the Intel one will suffice. This has ALWAYS been the case.

http://developer.amd.com/sdks/AMDAPPSDK/downloads/Pages/default.aspx
So I tried to get the 2.5 SDK installed alongside 12.1 (yet again) and I get nothing but segfaults. Seriously, how do you get both of them installed?
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
@kano
You should mention, that your executable file is compiled in x64_86 enviroment as  ywell.
Took me me somme time to figure, why this is not working on my x86 xubuntu :/
2.6.1 was sucking a lot with my bfl`s anyways.
I`ll give it a try with bfl now.
Yep it is 64 bit

i`m working on 2.4.3 now - is there a lot of improvements since than (bfl & ztex) ?? answer YES/NO would be nice Cheesy
ztex itself? - no, nelisky hasn't touched the code in ages - he seems to have no time for bitcoin for a long time now

There are lots of changes regarding getting work from the pool, and lots of changes with adding scrypt
The NEWS file mentions all changes for each version.

BFL has been getting a few bug fixes thus there have been BFL bugs during 2.4.3->2.6.3

... I keep updating miner.php ... and API specific changes are documented in API-README
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
i edit prevision post:
add:  Or is it just a side effect, and the end result is the same as the shares was on the previous version. Only DW is too much, because the new methods of work requests?

Do I understand correctly?
Yes, side effect. Shares same.
ZPK
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1021
i edit prevision post:
add:  Or is it just a side effect, and the end result is the same as the shares was on the previous version. Only DW is too much, because the new methods of work requests?

Do I understand correctly?
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
after update 2.6.2>2.6.3 , DW numbers greatly increased.
1 rig with 4 phatk kernel have 9-12% DW (before update 5-10%) with int 8, 2 rig witk 3 diablo 1 poclbm kernels have 30-35% DW (before updade 5-10%) with int 9.
1 conf - driver 11.12 ocl 2.5 from 11.11
2 conf - driver 11.12 7970 edition + sdk from 12.4 drivers (SDK 2.6 if not mistaken)
E:   The Efficiency defined as number of shares returned / work item ...... dropped in several times
it's ok?
That's the cost of much smoother getwork behaviour. On the flip side, it will have less chance of dips in the hashrate, leak shares to backup pools, have bursts of work requirements and so on.
hm, And if I only use a single pool? Version 2.6.2 would be best for me or who use one pool?
It will still have smoother comms with the pool even on a single pool.
Jump to: