Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 553. (Read 5805546 times)

DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
I got a question and I seriously tried to find the answer to it by both googling and searching the forums.

I'm mining with a Diamond 7970 on a Win 7 x64 setup using 12.3 driver package using CGMiner 2.4.3.  The miner will lock up sometime between 10 minutes and 3 hours and it seems to get stuck with the last line in the CMD prompt being Long Poll Detected.  This is my only 7970 and I'm not familiar if it may be something with the driver version (all my other rigs are 6870s and 6950s).  The only thing I think might be contributing to the lockups is the rig is extremely slow as far as response time since I'm running off an old 30GB IDE drive. I dropped the swap file size from auto to 512MB and that made it a little more snappy with less disk thrashing and turned off all the Win7 eye candy.

The card mines fine around 1000core/150mem but when I bump it to even 1025/1050/1075 or 1100 it gets the above mentioned lockup on CGMiner.  The ASIC is 78.7 for the GPU and I'm using stock voltage so I'm pretty sure there's more OC headroom.  The rest of the system runs fine during these lockups - I just notice I stop submitting shares and it gets stuck at the longpoll.  Any ideas?
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Understood, it just seems that everyone has some other issue they deem vital as well.

It is not vital to me, I was just trying to make a constructive suggestion. If you don't think it holds value, I can respect that. Although as an observation we have spent an order of magnitude more time discussing it than it would have taken to add the sentence. That said, again thanks for your well regarded app.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Understood, it just seems that everyone has some other issue they deem vital as well.
Just a suggestion. A simple overt FYI. And I would think most people download before reading the readme

And that's the problem...
Indeed there is only SO MUCH I can put in a readme, link, warning, information, documentation, blah blah blah. Seriously does ANY other bitcoin app have anything like the documentation that cgminer has???

I was not inferring your app lacked documentation or was incomplete in some fashion. Quite to the contrary, as it looks quite robust and I look forward to trying it out. My suggestion was merely offered from the viewpoint of a first time user. One sentence at the download link would have alerted me and other people to come of the false positive. Just a suggestion , take it or leave it.

Thanks for all your obvious hard work on this product.

David
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Just a suggestion. A simple overt FYI. And I would think most people download before reading the readme

Indeed there is only SO MUCH I can put in a readme, link, warning, information, documentation, blah blah blah. Seriously does ANY other bitcoin app have anything like the documentation that cgminer has???

Maybe you can put a big red blinking "READ THE README BEFORE DOWNLOADING CGMINER" as first sentence in the very first post of this thread? I would suggest Comic Sans in 72 points... ;-)
Activity: 349
Merit: 250

Maybe you can put a big red blinking "READ THE README BEFORE DOWNLOADING CGMINER" as first sentence in the very first post of this thread? I would suggest Comic Sans in 72 points... ;-)
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
Edit: of course if anyone has a better idea (than xampp) feel free to chime in

might want to look at easyphp too. apache, php, mysql for windows (WAMP).

http://www.easyphp.org/

Im using it for local display of Anubis and miner.php on my windows network. and its just for development, not production, but thats seems to be what you want.
Activity: 349

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I believe the latest versions of PHP come with a tiny webserver specifically for development of code. Haven't tried it though.

EDIT: http://php.net/manual/en/features.commandline.webserver.php
Hmm yep that looks simple - just install PHP 5.4.0 (on windows) and run a command in a command window
I'll try that out first then.
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
I believe the latest versions of PHP come with a tiny webserver specifically for development of code. Haven't tried it though.

EDIT: http://php.net/manual/en/features.commandline.webserver.php
legendary
Anyone wanna point me at some 'good' links to adding xampp on windows?
Some time (in the far future Smiley) I'm gonna update the API-README to explain more about using miner.php
In linux it's a simple apt-get or yum to install apache/php but I'm too lazy to look for windows info about xampp Smiley
I'll add some links in there next to the linux info with that info if anyone with good experience with xampp wants to provide that info here.
Thanks Smiley
(I'll try it also on my VM)

Wait until his AV software tells him the cgminer.py/cgminer.exe is a trojan.   Grin

I feel like I'm in one of those awkward moments when people refer to you in the third person when your still In the room ...

Roll Eyes This forum is like that.  Just add those users to your ignore list.

re: cgminer being a virus
If you cannot compile it yourself from sources use pre-compiled binaries done by Con.
If I were you, I would install the OS on a clean machine and just put cgminer and afterburner on it.  Don't install any AV software.
They are useless on mining rigs.  They only waste network and CPU resources. IMHO

I got a hold of a raspberry pi, i'm going to try a get it running on there
legendary
Wait until his AV software tells him the cgminer.py/cgminer.exe is a trojan.   Grin

I feel like I'm in one of those awkward moments when people refer to you in the third person when your still In the room ...

Roll Eyes This forum is like that.  Just add those users to your ignore list.

Especially ckolivas coz he 'sighed' also ... Cheesy

Activity: 378
Why is it so damn hot in here?
there was a keylogger in the windows binaries download
That's your antivirus application being retarded. As long as you downloaded it from the official links in the original post, there is no malware at all.

I did download it from the original link and I get a keylogger hit when downloading and when I try to open the archive. Could be Mcaffee just being weird but I have the latest defs and it would be nice to know why this download generates the flag as other people might have the same concern
McCrappy is useless shit, unfortunately. You could see if there is a way to submit some info to them to tell them that they are wrong.

Well I do not know for sure that my virus software, Trend Micro, is wrong (thought it was McAfee at first glance). I trust that you believe that to be the case, but I am passing the information along so it can be looked at from the file hosters end and verified.
It's even in the FAQ in the included README.txt

The Readme.txt would indeed be instructive if my Virus software allowed me to open the archive file, which it did not because it thought the download was infected  - hence the concern

PS That was not me you explained it to previously it was stevegee58

thanks

David

It is also where all the archives are kept here:
http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/README

And it is posted in the first post of this forum thread here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/official-cgminer-mining-software-thread-for-linuxwinosxmipsarmr-pi-4110-28402

sigh...

I know this is all rudimentary and second nature to you, but when  person downloads the file for the first time and they get a flag for a Virus, I think it is a reasonable response to mention it. Now that I know, I searched for the word Virus and it pops up in the FAQ - (5000 words and Many Pages Down.)

My suggestion is that if this is a known issue then a little blurb next to the download link would catch the uninitiated like me from asking well worn questions.

thanks again

David

Or people could read the README file when trying to download it is right there...

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
That's your antivirus application being retarded. As long as you downloaded it from the official links in the original post, there is no malware at all.

I did download it from the original link and I get a keylogger hit when downloading and when I try to open the archive. Could be Mcaffee just being weird but I have the latest defs and it would be nice to know why this download generates the flag as other people might have the same concern
McCrappy is useless shit, unfortunately. You could see if there is a way to submit some info to them to tell them that they are wrong.

Well I do not know for sure that my virus software, Trend Micro, is wrong (thought it was McAfee at first glance). I trust that you believe that to be the case, but I am passing the information along so it can be looked at from the file hosters end and verified.

The Readme.txt would indeed be instructive if my Virus software allowed me to open the archive file, which it did not because it thought the download was infected  - hence the concern

thanks

David

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/official-cgminer-mining-software-thread-for-linuxwinosxmipsarmr-pi-4110-28402

sigh...

I know this is all rudimentary and second nature to you, but when  person downloads the file for the first time and they get a flag for a Virus, I think it is a reasonable response to mention it. Now that I know, I searched for the word Virus and it pops up in the FAQ - (5000 words and Many Pages Down.)

My suggestion is that if this is a known issue then a little blurb next to the download link would catch the uninitiated like me from asking well worn questions.

thanks again

David

Or people could read the README file when trying to download it is right there...

thanks

David

sigh...

thanks again

David
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/

thanks

David

sigh...
Jump to: