Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 626. (Read 5805546 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
I found interesting problem:

I have mobo Gigabyte with PCIe 1x16x and 3x1x, then I used resers.
I used 4xVTX7970.
Procesor Sempron 145 have not enauch power to pull all 4 with their 670MHs/s.
When I use 2 cards - there is no problem at 1190/1250

I think that is something wrong with cgminer (with diablominer engine). Processor usage even with 2 cards is 100%.
Pure diablominer in this configuration use 7-15% processor.

Is this only my problem ?
A better - 4 core AMD X4 FX-4100 will solve this situation?

First.  COME ON MAN.  Copying 1500 lines just to add " Mac OS X?"  really?  Please be respectful and edit down your asininely long quote.

As far as CPU.  There is something else going on.  I run 4x heavily overclocked 5970s (3.3 GH/s total) off the same Sempron 145 which I have underclocked and undervolted down  to 1.2GHz.  cgminer uses about 10% cpu time.  I switched to diablo kernel to test it and it didn't change. 

Which OS, which driver, which SDK?
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
Gliding...
This is the official thread for support and development of cgminer, the combined GPU, bitforce and cpu miner written in c, cross platform for windows, linux and osx, with overclocking, monitoring, fanspeed control and remote interface capabilities....

I found interesting problem:

I have mobo Gigabyte with PCIe 1x16x and 3x1x, then I used resers.
I used 4xVTX7970.
Procesor Sempron 145 have not enauch power to pull all 4 with their 670MHs/s.
When I use 2 cards - there is no problem at 1190/1250

I think that is something wrong with cgminer (with diablominer engine). Processor usage even with 2 cards is 100%.
Pure diablominer in this configuration use 7-15% processor.

Is this only my problem ?
A better - 4 core AMD X4 FX-4100 will solve this situation?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
I just ran it up the flag pole.  Catalyst 11.9 which has SDK 2.5 still has the 100% CPU utilization bug, which was what I kind of thought.  I'll do some benchmarking to compare with what I was getting with the 11.6 and 100% CPU Utilization.
Sam

Since you are doing some benchies, also try this:
1) Run Catalyst 12.1 installer -> Custom install -> Unselect All button -> Select GPU Driver only -> Next... Untill it's installed
2) Run Catalyst 11.11 installer -> Custom install -> Unselect All button -> Select SDK Runtime only -> Next... Untill it's installed
3) Done!

That should give you a driver without the 100% CPU bug and the last version of SDK 2.5 runtime.

This.  Can we make it a sticky?  I don't know how many times we have post about.  12.1 made my mining slow.  Well no 12.1 driver didn't.  The fact that you hit express install and it dumped the worthless SDK 2.6 did. Smiley
Vbs
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
I just ran it up the flag pole.  Catalyst 11.9 which has SDK 2.5 still has the 100% CPU utilization bug, which was what I kind of thought.  I'll do some benchmarking to compare with what I was getting with the 11.6 and 100% CPU Utilization.
Sam

Since you are doing some benchies, also try this:
1) Run Catalyst 12.1 installer -> Custom install -> Unselect All button -> Select GPU Driver only -> Next... Untill it's installed
2) Run Catalyst 11.11 installer -> Custom install -> Unselect All button -> Select SDK Runtime only -> Next... Untill it's installed
3) Done!

That should give you a driver without the 100% CPU bug and the last version of SDK 2.5 runtime.
legendary
Activity: 3583
Merit: 1094
Think for yourself
sam: install 11.9 if your using win7 with 5xxx series cards - it does not get better than that and believe me I have done the testing

Well, I'll run it up the flagpole and see what happens.
Thanks,
Sam

Sam
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
I should have stated that I set values engine=775 mem=300 volts=.95 fan=40 prior to saving. The only
setting that is actually being saved is my user/pass/pool info. Nothing else shows as being saved when I
open cgminer.conf in notepad. If I close and run cgminer from the command line again (with no switch) it
will remember everything but my fan setting. When I restart the computer, the only info it remembers is
the user/pass/pool info, which makes sense because that's all that's being written to the cgminer.conf file.

My issue is what I'm doing wrong so that I'm only saving the user/pass/pool info and nothing else. I've
also tried editing in the other settings in cgminer.conf in notepad but that seems to have no effect, it just remembers the pool info. Originally, I started it up with a .bat file with the user name and pass if that makes a difference.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
S/W/Enter will save it in the default cgminer.conf file.
(e.g. on linux ~/.cgminer/cgminer.conf)

It will load that as well as the one you specify with -c
(which will be the same file twice if the -c points to the same file - which it doesn't in your case)

So you don't want to also specify -c on the command line if you are saving it in the default one
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
Is there a step I'm missing to save settings? I use S,W,Enter from the menu to save the configuration as cgminer.conf but it does not appear to save my settings in the cgminer.conf file. It just looks like below. Also when I enter in values and save, they do not take when I start up with cgminer -c cgminer.conf

{
"pools" : [
   {
      "url" : "x",
      "user" : "x",
      "pass" : "x"
   },
   {
      "user" : "x,
   },
   {
   },
   {
   }
],

"intensity" : "d",
"vectors" : "2",
"worksize" : "128",
"kernel" : "phatk",
"gpu-engine" : "0-0",
"gpu-fan" : "0-85",
"gpu-memclock" : "0",
"gpu-memdiff" : "0",
"gpu-powertune" : "0",
"gpu-vddc" : "0.000",
"temp-cutoff" : "95",
"temp-overheat" : "85",
"temp-target" : "75",
"api-port" : "4028",
"expiry" : "120",
"gpu-dyninterval" : "7",
"gpu-platform" : "0",
"gpu-threads" : "2",
"log" : "5",
"queue" : "0",
"retry-pause" : "5",
"scan-time" : "60",
"temp-hysteresis" : "3",
"shares" : "0",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin"
}

legendary
Just a theoretical question. How many FPGA boards could cgminer run? If I'd have a dozen or two USB hubs (each taking a USB port + ID) and a theoretical number of 100 ZTEX or Icarus boards, would that still work?  (I am going to cancel my vacation, sell the car and get a loan on the house, lol, just kidding). I am just asking because with GPUs I guess cgminer was always limited because of the fact that you can only install a few in a computer. But now with FPGAs a larger number should be possible (new cgminer user speaking).
Current code says ... 32
It's just a #define in miner.h so it may be possible to just increase it and it will all work.
I'd expect that to be the case.

However, the API has a TODO I put in it that there could be issues about the amount of data returned by "devs"
I've not bothered to work out the limit or intercept it before it causes havoc yet ... since:
The API limit is certainly above 32 so with the current code limit it's fine.

Edit: though ... I'd have no idea what would happen if you had 32 devices and didn't use '-T' ...
Curses may fail since there's not enough space on a standard 24 line terminal.
At least certainly set your terminal bigger (taller) before trying 32.
Activity: 489
Immersionist
Activity: 489
Immersionist
With the help of kanoi and xiangfu in #cgminer I could get it to work with my Icarus boards on my Windows 7 setup. It worked well over night. It required building it without BFL support and adding two lines of code in icarus.c (http://pastebin.com/xDtPF9Qc).

I also used Sharky's native win32 setup and build instructions for cgminer (http://pastebin.com/3pzivj32). The base I used was the source release here in case anyone is wondering. http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/cgminer-2.3.1-2.tar.bz2, but changes to the Icarus code have been made on github in the meantime.

I do have a ZTEX board here and two more in the mail - but I am not a (windows/linux) coder. I am glad I could get the above to work and I don't have a box to which I could give you access to. I'll let you two guys (kano + nelisky) work this out Wink I'll gladly give it a try afterwards. However, I will be on vacation for 10 days starting from Wednesday.

Just a theoretical question. How many FPGA boards could cgminer run? If I'd have a dozen or two USB hubs (each taking a USB port + ID) and a theoretical number of 100 ZTEX or Icarus boards, would that still work?  (I am going to cancel my vacation, sell the car and get a loan on the house, lol, just kidding). I am just asking because with GPUs I guess cgminer was always limited because of the fact that you can only install a few in a computer. But now with FPGAs a larger number should be possible (new cgminer user speaking).
legendary

Weeks?
It's not a days work.
OK I'll do it tomorrow.

Edit: obviously since I have no ztex someone is gonna have to try the code I write.
It will be in my git when I do it. So you'll have to trust cloning and compiling from me Tongue
Preferably someone who can visit #cgminer Freenode IRC
I'll post here when I've done it - so if you or anyone else has a ztex then respond here if you will IRC and want to test it.
(Not doing it today, finally properly testing the Icarus API code and fixing a few error message mistakes)

I didn't mean finish in weeks... C'mon, a little credit here, I code for a living. Smiley

Can not tell if you are serious, but I can help both in testing and in developing if you are.
No I'm serious. I'll do it tomorrow (it's 2pm here now)
(though if I have time today ... but I doubt it)
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

Weeks?
It's not a days work.
OK I'll do it tomorrow.

Edit: obviously since I have no ztex someone is gonna have to try the code I write.
It will be in my git when I do it. So you'll have to trust cloning and compiling from me Tongue
I'll post here when I've done it - so if you or anyone else has a ztex then respond here if you will IRC and want to test it.
(Not doing it today, finally properly testing the Icarus API code and fixing a few error message mistakes)

I didn't mean finish in weeks... C'mon, a little credit here, I code for a living. Smiley

Can not tell if you are serious, but I can help both in testing and in developing if you are.
legendary
Is anyone already doing ztex boards support for cgminer? I'm not sure about timeframes but I'm considering taking a stab at it seeing as I have the protocol "fresh" in my mind from the initial implementation for MPBM, but I'd hate to start it just to find out someone else is almost done with it Smiley
No one has started, but see here: http://bountychest.com/bountychest/ztex-support-for-cgminer/

I see there are already some donations done towards that bounty and I really don't want to step in anybody's toes. If I do.decide to jump into this I'll try to be as public about it as possible and I hope anybody else tackling the same problem does the same.

Ztex already proposed sending a board for free for this purpose, which I will not be requesting so I ask again: anyone thinking of taking the challenge in the next couple of weeks?

Weeks?
It's not a days work.
OK I'll do it tomorrow.

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
Is anyone already doing ztex boards support for cgminer? I'm not sure about timeframes but I'm considering taking a stab at it seeing as I have the protocol "fresh" in my mind from the initial implementation for MPBM, but I'd hate to start it just to find out someone else is almost done with it Smiley
No one has started, but see here: http://bountychest.com/bountychest/ztex-support-for-cgminer/

I see there are already some donations done towards that bounty and I really don't want to step in anybody's toes. If I do.decide to jump into this I'll try to be as public about it as possible and I hope anybody else tackling the same problem does the same.

Ztex already proposed sending a board for free for this purpose, which I will not be requesting so I ask again: anyone thinking of taking the challenge in the next couple of weeks?
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Smoking...

Looks like I picked a good time for a break from cgminer code, since I smoked my PSU the other day and my mining rig is back in the workshop. Thank goodness for warranties lol.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
On a side note, on series 5xxx and 6xxx, using poclbm with any sdk above 2.1 is a performance loss, as is using phatk with anything below 2.4.

Really? Using 960/300 clocks on a 5870, -g 1 -I 8 (p2pool), tried with and without -w 256 -v 2, I get much worse performance on poclbm + 2.1 compared to phatk + 2.1.

Phatk + 2.1 and phatk + 2.4 is about the same though, with 2.4 taking a very slight lead (<1%) .

What would you recommend as settings for poclbm? I do remember it being better back in the day too, but haven't played much with 2.1 lately. Also, keeping memory speeds low is a must  Tongue

Any recollection you have about poclbm kernel is irrelevant I'm afraid. Note that the so-called poclbm kernel in cgminer has been DRASTICALLY rewritten by myself to be optimal with sdk 2.6+. So that even though it's called poclbm it really has very little in common with the original poclbm kernel. It appears to work well with 79xx and 69xx cards and sdk 2.6+ only.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
I know it'll compile fine without CPU mining, but I want to do some testing with it enabled... I want to see how Anubis handles it. If it's more trouble to get it working than it's worth, I'll forget about supporting CPUs in Anubis.
CPU mining is deprecated and the code will be completely removed in the future. Do not try to port or get anything working with it.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
I'm trying to use the 2.1 SDK for the 5xxx and 2.6 for the 6xxx. Everything works fine using the 2.6 sdk, but it obviously isnt efficient for the 5xxx series.
Phoenix 2.0 lets me use the setup I want, but it lacks lots of features.

I also tried making cgminer use bins compiled for 2.1 while using the 2.6 sdk but it just recompiles them again. The ideal would be making --gpu-platform a per device option, something like --gpu-platform 0,0,1
You can only specify one gpu platform, but you can force it to use whatever combination by starting it a couple of times if you specify exactly the kernel, vectors and worksize.

Eg start with --gpu-platform 0 (if that is sdk 2.1) --kernel phatk,diablo -v 2,1 -w 256,128

Then you will get two bins. Delete the one that you don't want running with sdk 2.1 and start again with the same commands except for --gpu-platform 1 (if that's sdk 2.6) and it will build a bin only the one that doesn't exist.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Jump to: