Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 627. (Read 5805546 times)

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
Is anyone already doing ztex boards support for cgminer? I'm not sure about timeframes but I'm considering taking a stab at it seeing as I have the protocol "fresh" in my mind from the initial implementation for MPBM, but I'd hate to start it just to find out someone else is almost done with it Smiley
Activity: 465
Merit: 254
Thanks to both of you. It worked great.
Activity: 349
Merit: 250
Is there any way to avoid one of my GPU cores to start at all when I run cgminer?
I have a 5970 card were one core is defect and if I try to mine on it my computer instantly crashes. The other core works fine and I am mining on it using GUIminer, but would like to switch to cgminer.

Is there anything I can put in the config file to make sure GPU0 never starts when I run cgminer?

--device|-d   Select device to use, (Use repeat -d for multiple devices, default: all)

I would start cgminer using the --device 1, assuming a single 5970, this will skip device 0, the problem gpu. Then you can write the config file while cgminer is running. [ S]ettings, [W]rite config file, then you are done.

[Edit]thought I was first to post a reply, twenty minutes later I see a reply before me, odd.
Activity: 121
Merit: 10
Is there any way to avoid one of my GPU cores to start at all when I run cgminer?
I have a 5970 card were one core is defect and if I try to mine on it my computer instantly crashes. The other core works fine and I am mining on it using GUIminer, but would like to switch to cgminer.

Is there anything I can put in the config file to make sure GPU0 never starts when I run cgminer?

"cgminer -d 1 -d 2 ... -d n" should work. Or the equivalent in config file, however that works.
Activity: 465
Merit: 254

Activity: 467
Merit: 250
Here is it
http://pastebin.com/gpFDyXef

requires screen

this should be spun off into its' own thread so people don't miss this great script... I've been looking for something like this for a long while.. well done!

Vbs
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
On a side note, on series 5xxx and 6xxx, using poclbm with any sdk above 2.1 is a performance loss, as is using phatk with anything below 2.4.

Really? Using 960/300 clocks on a 5870, -g 1 -I 8 (p2pool), tried with and without -w 256 -v 2, I get much worse performance on poclbm + 2.1 compared to phatk + 2.1.

Phatk + 2.1 and phatk + 2.4 is about the same though, with 2.4 taking a very slight lead (<1%) .

What would you recommend as settings for poclbm? I do remember it being better back in the day too, but haven't played much with 2.1 lately. Also, keeping memory speeds low is a must  Tongue

Phatk was specifically written for SDK 2.4+, so compiling it with anything lower than that is a performance loss, since it has specific tweaks for the SDK 2.4+ compilers.

I don't recommend anything for poclbm, since I don't use it. I have two 5850's on two different machines (free power Tongue), both running at stock voltage, one at 970/150 (~400MH/s) and the other at 980/150 (~404MH/s), using phatk V2 W256 I9.

Both are on Win7 x64, Catalyst 12.1 drivers and SDK runtime 2.5.793.1 (comes on the 11.11 drivers).
Activity: 121
Merit: 10
On a side note, on series 5xxx and 6xxx, using poclbm with any sdk above 2.1 is a performance loss, as is using phatk with anything below 2.4.

Really? Using 960/300 clocks on a 5870, -g 1 -I 8 (p2pool), tried with and without -w 256 -v 2, I get much worse performance on poclbm + 2.1 compared to phatk + 2.1.

Phatk + 2.1 and phatk + 2.4 is about the same though, with 2.4 taking a very slight lead (<1%) .

What would you recommend as settings for poclbm? I do remember it being better back in the day too, but haven't played much with 2.1 lately. Also, keeping memory speeds low is a must  Tongue

legendary
Activity: 3583
Merit: 1094
Think for yourself
OK, I pretty sure this is ancient history, but here goes anyway.

I've been using Windoze XP with Catalyst 11.6 with a 5830 and 5770 and had low CPU utilization with that combination.  I went back to my Win7 install where I was using 10.9 to get low CPU utilization prior to CGMiner 2.0.  I updated this Win7 to Catalyst 11.6 and now have 100% CPU utilization.  I had thought Catalyst 11.6 had low CPU utilization across all platforms?

Any thoughts?  Or is this just the way it works with Windoze 7?

IIRC was a lot later than 11.6 before 100% bug was solved in Windows.  Why not use 11.11?

Why not use 12.1? As long as you don't install the SDK runtime that comes with it, it's working 100% with my 5850's.

What SDK are you using with it?

I guess I'll have to give that a try.  I'm still perplexed why the 11.6, the last know good version, doesn't work on Win7, or is just my Win7 installation?
Thanks,
Sam

sam: install 11.9 if your using win7 with 5xxx series cards - it does not get better than that and believe me I have done the testing

Well, I'll run it up the flagpole and see what happens.
Thanks,
Sam
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

I've been using Windoze XP with Catalyst 11.6 with a 5830 and 5770 and had low CPU utilization with that combination.  I went back to my Win7 install where I was using 10.9 to get low CPU utilization prior to CGMiner 2.0.  I updated this Win7 to Catalyst 11.6 and now have 100% CPU utilization.  I had thought Catalyst 11.6 had low CPU utilization across all platforms?

IIRC was a lot later than 11.6 before 100% bug was solved in Windows.  Why not use 11.11?

Why not use 12.1? As long as you don't install the SDK runtime that comes with it, it's working 100% with my 5850's.

I guess I'll have to give that a try.  I'm still perplexed why the 11.6, the last know good version, doesn't work on Win7, or is just my Win7 installation?
Thanks,
Sam

sam: install 11.9 if your using win7 with 5xxx series cards - it does not get better than that and believe me I have done the testing

Vbs

Thanks,
Sam

I'm using the SDK runtime 2.5.793.1 that comes with the 11.11 drivers (it's the newest version of 2.5 sdk available), since I'm using the phatk kernel. If I wanted to use the poclbm kernel, I would use SDK 2.1.

I did a quick test sometime ago, and the phatk GPU ISA code generated with SDK 2.4.650.9 was the same as with SDK 2.5.793.1, so they "should" have identical performance, at least for the phatk kernel.

Generally speaking.

2.1 is best for 5000 series cards.
2.4 or 2.5 is best for 6000 series cards.
2.6 is best for 7000 series cards.

That being said the difference between 2.1 and 2.4/2.5 is minimal.

2.6 is a huge performance hit w/ low memclocks I mean 20%+ so avoid it like the plague unless you have a 7000 series card.

Really no reason to use 2.2 or 2.3 for anything.

Damn you! Cool You're increasing my itch of comparing the low-level code of poclbm + 2.1 vs phatk + 2.5... Grin

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis

Generally speaking.

2.1 is best for 5000 series cards.
2.4 or 2.5 is best for 6000 series cards.
2.6 is best for 7000 series cards.

That being said the difference between 2.1 and 2.4/2.5 is minimal.

2.6 is a huge performance hit w/ low memclocks I mean 20%+ so avoid it like the plague unless you have a 7000 series card.

Really no reason to use 2.2 or 2.3 for anything.
legendary
Think for yourself
I don't remember which version it was fixed in.

>11.6 and <=11.11  Smiley

I know it is fixed in 11.11.  As pointed out above you can even use 12.1 just make sure to install Runtime/SDK FIRST and then do CUSTOM SETUP and the uncheck OpenCL Runtime.  Once installed 2.6 is a pain to get rid of.  That is why I suggested 11.11.  It is a version I know has no 100% CPU bug and it doesn't have 2.6 so no chance of accidentally installing it.

Sounds like my best shot.  I'll give a whirl over the weekend.
Thanks again,
Sam
legendary
Think for yourself

Thanks,
Sam
donator
Gerald Davis
I don't remember which version it was fixed in.

>11.6 and <=11.11  Smiley

I know it is fixed in 11.11.  As pointed out above you can even use 12.1 just make sure to install Runtime/SDK FIRST and then do CUSTOM SETUP and the uncheck OpenCL Runtime.  Once installed 2.6 is a pain to get rid of.  That is why I suggested 11.11.  It is a version I know has no 100% CPU bug and it doesn't have 2.6 so no chance of accidentally installing it.
legendary
Think for yourself

IIRC was a lot later than 11.6 before 100% bug was solved in Windows.
Catalyst 11.6 was before the bug was introduced, which is why I was using it.

Why not use 11.11?

I don't know why not, was the 100% CPU utilization for multiple GPU's fixed in that version?  When I was messing with this installation  before I had a terrible time get later Catalyst versions installed and functioning at all which was why I was using 10.7 and 10.9 at that time to begin with.
Thanks,
Sam
Vbs

donator
Gerald Davis

legendary
Think for yourself

Thanks,
Sam
donator
Gerald Davis
I'm trying to use the 2.1 SDK for the 5xxx and 2.6 for the 6xxx. Everything works fine using the 2.6 sdk, but it obviously isnt efficient for the 5xxx series.
Phoenix 2.0 lets me use the setup I want, but it lacks lots of features.

I also tried making cgminer use bins compiled for 2.1 while using the 2.6 sdk but it just recompiles them again. The ideal would be making --gpu-platform a per device option, something like --gpu-platform 0,0,1

You can't. 

Why do you want to use 2.6?  It is junk for 5x and 6x series.  Only reason to use 2.6 is if you have 7x series card.

2.1 is slightly better w/ 5x series but only with low memclock (and it is small).  Both 5x & 6x work well with 2.4 & 2.5 so that is the simplest answer.
Jump to: