Pages:
Author

Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo BTC Software/Image and Support thread - page 13. (Read 39380 times)

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
~snip~
Well someone here solve the last ckpool solo block using 10TH worth of Apollos Cheesy Probably why the pool has attracted more Apollo users since then.

The benefit is that you are using your own node to construct and broadcast the bitcoin block if found, with ckpool, the pool itself has control over the block creation (and therefor could theoretically censor transactions). Until we release our own implimination of solo mining I would not suggest trying to do this on your own unless you know your node is well connected to other pools (which is hard to do on an individual level). We are working with pool partners to directly connect all Apollo solo miners to major pools once our implementation launches.

You mentioned in theory ckpool can censor transactions, wouldn't exactly the same statement apply to the "Apollo Pool" since you said the plan is to connect to other servers?

At the end of the day using any pool you need to trust the person behind it.
... and also most important, no one ever has and probably ever will write transaction bias software for your own node.

GBT 'allowed' it, but over the many years GBT existed, no one ever wrote anything to do it,
not even Luke who used to spout this as a reason to use GBT.
legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388
~snip~
Well someone here solve the last ckpool solo block using 10TH worth of Apollos Cheesy Probably why the pool has attracted more Apollo users since then.

The benefit is that you are using your own node to construct and broadcast the bitcoin block if found, with ckpool, the pool itself has control over the block creation (and therefor could theoretically censor transactions). Until we release our own implimination of solo mining I would not suggest trying to do this on your own unless you know your node is well connected to other pools (which is hard to do on an individual level). We are working with pool partners to directly connect all Apollo solo miners to major pools once our implementation launches.

You mentioned in theory ckpool can censor transactions, wouldn't exactly the same statement apply to the "Apollo Pool" since you said the plan is to connect to other servers?

By connect to other servers I mean your node will be highly connected to the major mining pool backbone for faster block propagation. You would still be your own "pool" and mining your own blocks/transactions.

FYI cool functionality we are building out is that solo mining will essentially be your own stratum pool (so the pool will run locally on your device and your hashboard will be connected to that internal pool), but the fun part is that you can use it as your own pool infrastructure, so if you have other miners (even non Apollo hardware) you could point all of them to the Apollo and solo mine.

"Pool in a box"
Activity: 952
Merit: 938
~snip~

Activity: 100
Merit: 29
Is there any benefits using the docker as oppose to just entering the pool info?
You get to learn something new, and - if you are prepared to take the risk - you can save the pool fee if you find a block. Which is up to 2% (as of today, 3300 USD). And in terms of risk, I mainly mean using the Apollo node as mining node from within in your home network. Which has its downsides, as the Apollo node is definitely not as well connected as a pool's mining node, also because your home network will have less uptime stability and lower bandwidth.
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
... of course my personally modified, performance improved, bitcoin is compiled to use these extra instructions ...

I'm looking at joining your pool but can't see any block found since 2021.
Am I missing something?
I mean how is it better than ckpool if no blocks are found?
The solo's aren't showing?
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Is there any benefits using the docker as oppose to just entering the pool info?
Think of it this way ... if you are using an rpi cpu to do all your bitcoin processing ...

... on top of all the issues with getting that one block you might find out to the world wide bitcoin network fast,
and the fact that your bitcoin needs to see all blocks on the world wide network as fast as possible to reduce the amount of time spent working on stale blocks, ...

how fast do you think an rpi can process that one block you find then send it out,
and how fast do think an rpi can see a new network block, process it and send a work change to your miner?

You would be using an rpi cpu to do all that work ... compared to high performance servers used by pools
(though I will admit your choice of pools is a single server hiding somewhere in the usa with no distribution network of it's own - that loses blocks - so rather an odd choice)

Example: (not sure if the orange pi is up to these specs but ...)
Model: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5
BogoMIPS: 108.00
Cores/Threads: 4
Features: fp asimd evtstrm crc32 cpuid
Ram: 8GB

.. .competing with ...

One of my nodes (not the higher spec master server)
Model: Intel(R) Xeon(R) E-2286G CPU @ 4.00GHz
BogoMIPS: 7999.96
cpu MHz : 4790.301
Cores/Threads: 12
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt intel_pt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp md_clear flush_l1d
Ram: 32GB

Of course the most useful one there is avx2

... of course my personally modified, performance improved, bitcoin is compiled to use these extra instructions ...
legendary
For solo mining directly on your Apollo node, you can install Docker, then build and run a docker image of the solo ckpool using this repository: https://github.com/golden-guy/docker-ckpool

Since I don't have a full node Apollo, I cannot test and verify this myself there unfortunately. But I tested this successfully in similar setups on other SBCs (RPi/Odroid) running Debian/Ubuntu - and the Apollo's OrangePi SBC running Armbian should support the Docker installation as well, as documented here: https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Advanced-Features/#how-to-run-docker

Would be great if somebody tried and can give feedback if that has worked out. At least that would be a viable workaround for now for those who feel the itch to solo mine on their Apollo node.

ckpool is solving a block more often since I've add my 3 Apollo miner a month ago and it's attracting more miner.s
We went from 26P to 98P.
The only problem is it's not me solving the blocks  with my 14 Th/s Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Activity: 17
For solo mining directly on your Apollo node, you can install Docker, then build and run a docker image of the solo ckpool using this repository: https://github.com/golden-guy/docker-ckpool

Since I don't have a full node Apollo, I cannot test and verify this myself there unfortunately. But I tested this successfully in similar setups on other SBCs (RPi/Odroid) running Debian/Ubuntu - and the Apollo's OrangePi SBC running Armbian should support the Docker installation as well, as documented here: https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Advanced-Features/#how-to-run-docker

Would be great if somebody tried and can give feedback if that has worked out. At least that would be a viable workaround for now for those who feel the itch to solo mine on their Apollo node.

ckpool is solving a block more often since I've add my 3 Apollo miner a month ago and it's attracting more miner.s
We went from 26P to 98P.
The only problem is it's not me solving the blocks  with my 14 Th/s Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Activity: 100
Merit: 29

Activity: 952
Merit: 938
~snip~
Regarding the open source interface, please accept my apologies I don't know the github link, could you please be so kind to write it here, once again, for me (and us..) ?

The open source UI consists of these two projects:

UI: https://github.com/jstefanop/apolloui
API: https://github.com/jstefanop/apolloapi

And here are the closed sourced binaries: https://github.com/jstefanop/Apollo-Miner-Binaries
Activity: 6
First all   I'd like to thank you for answering me, I appreciated that.

I understand that you are not "Google" and the company is small and probably there's not a department full of senior engineers working on this thing 24h a day.
We all know that and we can imagine that "all we can get, but the hardware, is a perk".
Yet this is not actually what you declared at the very beginning, or probably the market response to your device could have been more "tepid", wouldn't it?

I accept as answer (and promise..) that you will make a further effort to pursue your goals, within this year, if I have properly understood.

Regarding the open source interface, please accept my apologies I don't know the github link, could you please be so kind to write it here, once again, for me (and us..) ?

I really thank you, if you make us in the position to cooperate with you, probably the software which will come with the next APOLLOs could be better, and probably none of us should be referring at these as "paperweights", ever.

The entire community is willing to move on, let us help you.

Have a nice day
D.

Activity: 1143
Merit: 925

Already answered this, we decided late last year to scrap all updates and refresh the entire OS/web UI with a modern architecture since the Apollo UI is over 5 years old now. Thats probably going to delay all these features until later this year.

Ive also said this multiple times, FutureBit is not a VC funded company with dozens of full time engineers. It's a small group of people working part-time when we can, and the whole company essentially operates as a non profit. Anything beyond the hardware we provide is a perk, and like with everything bitcoin is up to the individual to DYOR and install the apps and services you want.

I don't think most that bought are looking for perks but your development environment is not noob friendly. its not very hard to solo mine to a node is it worth it? who cares the problem is this hardware was sold at a premium which is fine i guess, but getting ghosted with updates like china does is not acceptable. crypto is the only thing that kills crypto.

you sold a device that has multiple points of vulnerability in anyones home network i just wonder why? i mean you could of atleast properly secured the device or explained to people hey you need to isolate this gigantic hole you are about to implement into your network. less teasers on twitter and more real talk if you need help ask the internet is dead.

maybe im the only one tired of being scammed in crypto on all fronts maybe im just bitter who knows. i can see a good vision but i can also see alot of wasted money which i have spent for what good reason beyond fattening the wallets of others. atleast you dont have the excuse of being a china company that has no obligation to make anything right. mine are gonna end up in my firepit this spring ill take a video.

Instead of them ending up in your firepit, send them my way, I'll pay shipping. My Apollo is running sweet and I'd love more, plus I hate waste
Activity: 49
Merit: 11

Already answered this, we decided late last year to scrap all updates and refresh the entire OS/web UI with a modern architecture since the Apollo UI is over 5 years old now. Thats probably going to delay all these features until later this year.

Ive also said this multiple times, FutureBit is not a VC funded company with dozens of full time engineers. It's a small group of people working part-time when we can, and the whole company essentially operates as a non profit. Anything beyond the hardware we provide is a perk, and like with everything bitcoin is up to the individual to DYOR and install the apps and services you want.

I don't think most that bought are looking for perks but your development environment is not noob friendly. its not very hard to solo mine to a node is it worth it? who cares the problem is this hardware was sold at a premium which is fine i guess, but getting ghosted with updates like china does is not acceptable. crypto is the only thing that kills crypto.

you sold a device that has multiple points of vulnerability in anyones home network i just wonder why? i mean you could of atleast properly secured the device or explained to people hey you need to isolate this gigantic hole you are about to implement into your network. less teasers on twitter and more real talk if you need help ask the internet is dead.

maybe im the only one tired of being scammed in crypto on all fronts maybe im just bitter who knows. i can see a good vision but i can also see alot of wasted money which i have spent for what good reason beyond fattening the wallets of others. atleast you dont have the excuse of being a china company that has no obligation to make anything right. mine are gonna end up in my firepit this spring ill take a video.
legendary
What does it mean "Dead Project" ??

Let me quote the Apollo BTC "Getting Started document"

----------------------------------
The Apollo Full Node runs the latest release binaries from bitcoincore.org, and is automatically configured and setup at the system level. It will start syncing a clean chain state from block 0 on your nvme SSD on first boot, and is capable of downloading a full unpruned node on its 500 GB drive with a 1-2 year buffer. This is the core that will enable us to release additional apps and services in the coming months and years (solo mining, block explorer, Lightning network all planned in the short term), and allow you the user to verify your own transactions and chain state without needing to trust anyone else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solo  mining, block explorer, Lightning network and such have been promised for a long time, and in ("short term"),   and having the chance to solo mining my own node was one of the features for which I decided to buy an Apollo.

So I can understand the difficulties, delays, all is legit,...but I cannot accept a "dead project", I would like to have answers to this.
It does not satisfy the premises underlying the moral contract between the seller and the customer.

Is there a responsible who can answer, please?

I'm kindly inviting the one who is responsible for this project to give clarification to all of us.

Thank you very much.
D.

Also the Apollo UI is open source, anyone can modify it and do whatever they wish with it. Ive also said this multiple times, FutureBit is not a VC funded company with dozens of full time engineers. It's a small group of people working part-time when we can, and the whole company essentially operates as a non profit. Anything beyond the hardware we provide is a perk, and like with everything bitcoin is up to the individual to DYOR and install the apps and services you want.

Yes we want to make one click installs to make this easy for everyone, but our main focus is hardware (and past year has been focused on Gen 2 that all Apollo Gen 1 will benefit from software wise).
What does it mean "Dead Project" ??

Let me quote the Apollo BTC "Getting Started document"

----------------------------------
The Apollo Full Node runs the latest release binaries from bitcoincore.org, and is automatically configured and setup at the system level. It will start syncing a clean chain state from block 0 on your nvme SSD on first boot, and is capable of downloading a full unpruned node on its 500 GB drive with a 1-2 year buffer. This is the core that will enable us to release additional apps and services in the coming months and years (solo mining, block explorer, Lightning network all planned in the short term), and allow you the user to verify your own transactions and chain state without needing to trust anyone else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solo  mining, block explorer, Lightning network and such have been promised for a long time, and in ("short term"),   and having the chance to solo mining my own node was one of the features for which I decided to buy an Apollo.

So I can understand the difficulties, delays, all is legit,...but I cannot accept a "dead project", I would like to have answers to this.
It does not satisfy the premises underlying the moral contract between the seller and the customer.

Is there a responsible who can answer, please?

I'm kindly inviting the one who is responsible for this project to give clarification to all of us.

Thank you very much.
D.
Activity: 49
Merit: 11
Hello everyone,

Is there any news on the release of a new  firmware that allows solo mining?

Thank you
D.

Dead project they could at-least open source it so we can do a little more with these paperweights.
Hello everyone,

Is there any news on the release of a new  firmware that allows solo mining?

Thank you
D.
Activity: 1
So my unit arrived the other day and looks great and seems to be running well. The full node has fully synced up and i don't think i ran into any issues while i was mining on Eco.

The only issue i have is on the miner dashboard. For some reason I am getting a very high error rate - it's currently reporting 70%-80%+ hardware errors but i did not get many "rejections".

I thought running the node was taxing the CPU too much so i waited until that synced to reboot the unit and see if it would reset the errors but no luck on that.

It's odd - the unit seems to be running fine, any idea why it's reporting such high levels of hardware errors?

A very small number of units will have this issue. Probably means you have a bad ASIC with a few bad cores that produce a really high number of errors. As long as your hashrate matches what it should then your unit is fine. Were trying to see if we can disable these cores in software for a future update.

I have been running a unit for 5 months.  It was running fine.  I haven't really checked on it until a few days ago.  it had been running for over 3 months.  Now it has hardware errors 70-80%. Hashrate seems to be OK with very few rejects.  I restarted it, but no difference.  This sounds like the same problem as above. 
My Apollo Node does not want to cooperate since I flashed a new 64GB SD card.
Everything else works fine, much better than with that old 16GB card I found lying around.
I'm not certain yet if the faster specs of the new SD card are making the difference, it could be due to something else as well.

However, the node is giving the following error message: There is a problem fetching system stats (Invalid params, response status code: 401)

The node seems to be downloading data from the internet (visible in System Monitor), but goes back to show the above error message after I click Start in the node dashboard. Please wait while node is starting up, followed by same error message a few minutes later. But download showing in System Monitor.

When I click Stop, then it says Node is shutting down , and the download of data in System monitor stops.

And in the Bitcoin>Blocks folder the number of e.g. blk00165.dat keeps increasing while the node is starting up.

I have rebooted the Apollo a few times and the issue persists.

I'm running into the same issue after flashing. Did you ever solve this?
Been mining and running full node relatively problem free since last Oct using Batch4 Apollo.

Other day it went off line and when I rebooted it, fan runs high but lights never come on.

Connecting a monitor it never boots up or gets a prompt. No changes were being done at the time and never ran an update on it.

What should my next steps be?

Thanks!
Pages:
Jump to: