Pages:
Author

Topic: [OFFICIAL POLL] QRK LOGO COMPETITION - page 17. (Read 34173 times)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
February 04, 2014, 08:54:54 PM
This vote has been totally compromised and should be nulled. Obviously, Smaragda is using proxies to vote his logo into the winners circle.

Look man, no offense to you and your design but this is not the way to win. It is akin to stealing 120K qrk and  leaving the entire quark community holding the bag with an inferior design for a logo.

I know a good logo when I see one and that is not it. Yes it is nice to look at in an archaic dungeons and dragons sort of way but it does not portray quark in the right light.

I feel bad for saying this stuff because I know as an artist myself how much work goes into the design process but this is a not a free-market vote. Smaragda is rigging the voting apparatus. There is nothing that justifies this insane lead in voting based on what I see with my own eyes.

I am trying to protect quark's image and our investments in it but you are playing games trying to collect with only your own interests in mind.

FORK THIS VOTE NOW. I am sickened by this treachery.

BOXXL - you nailed it. That logo is stunning. Its simplicity speaks volumes.

@KJO, You were one of the original users that started this mess. You criticized smaragda back when he/she only had 20 votes and you even accused them of cheating. Your statements were totally uncalled for and unsubstantiated.

Please outline the chain of title to placing blame on me for pointing out the voter fraud.

Go ahead.

Unsubstantiated? You mean back when smagardilla had a 35% lead on the next design even though his design is "not the best" and it was clear voter fraud had occurred?

I appreciate your comments however you need to zoom out. You fail to mention I have no design in this contest and  I am not a party to this mess. Nor do you mention the fact that smagmatillia attacked me for raising the issue calling me a troll for not supporting his design and calling out the voter fraud.

Original user? I do not even understand what you mean by that. Original user of what?

UNsubstantiated and uncalled for? If anything my friend, it shows I was right to call it out....look at this bloody mess of fraud and greed.

Go ahead mate, show me the chain of title.

@KJO, Having 35% of the lead when the leader only had 20 votes total is not significant and it's definitely not evidence that anyone is cheating.

I don't necessary care for Smaragda's logo but it's wrong to say that they cheated so early in the contest with so little votes.

If Smaragda had 500 votes in the first day then yeah that's kinda sketchy but that's not the case.

These are the types of ridiculous accusations that are running rampant in this thread.
KJO
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
February 04, 2014, 08:47:28 PM
This vote has been totally compromised and should be nulled. Obviously, Smaragda is using proxies to vote his logo into the winners circle.

Look man, no offense to you and your design but this is not the way to win. It is akin to stealing 120K qrk and  leaving the entire quark community holding the bag with an inferior design for a logo.

I know a good logo when I see one and that is not it. Yes it is nice to look at in an archaic dungeons and dragons sort of way but it does not portray quark in the right light.

I feel bad for saying this stuff because I know as an artist myself how much work goes into the design process but this is a not a free-market vote. Smaragda is rigging the voting apparatus. There is nothing that justifies this insane lead in voting based on what I see with my own eyes.

I am trying to protect quark's image and our investments in it but you are playing games trying to collect with only your own interests in mind.

@KJO, You were one of the original users that started this mess. You criticized smaragda back when he/she only had 20 votes and you even accused them of cheating. Your statements were totally uncalled for and unsubstantiated.

Please outline the chain of title to placing blame on me for pointing out the voter fraud.

Go ahead.

Unsubstantiated? You mean back when smagardilla had a 35% lead on the next design even though his design is "not the best" and it was clear voter fraud had occurred?

I appreciate your comments however you need to zoom out. You fail to mention I have no design in this contest and  I am not a party to this mess. Nor do you mention the fact that smagmatillia attacked me for raising the issue calling me a troll for not supporting his design and calling out the voter fraud.

Original user? I do not even understand what you mean by that. Original user of what?

UNsubstantiated and uncalled for? If anything my friend, it shows I was right to call it out....look at this bloody mess of fraud and greed.

Go ahead mate, show me the chain of title.

Activity: 812
Merit: 102
February 04, 2014, 08:37:52 PM
Ultimist,
Could you please explain your design to everyone?  Where did the concept come from, what does it mean, etc.?

My apologies. I was in the middle of creating this response when the opportunity for DINNER presented itself, and since I was starving, I could not resist.

Let's start with the Q. It's not from a font. I looked at a gazillion fonts and couldn't find a capital Q that I particularly liked (at least for this usage) so I decided to make my own.

The design evolved over time. I took some time to memorize the brief, the goals of Quark's creators, valuable insights and other information shared by people across several forums, and just what I thought (and everyone's taste is different) looked good. Art is, after all, purely subjective. No sensible artist would claim otherwise. One man's chrome text or weird squiggly font is another man's eye poison, and that's just how it is.Tongue

As I thought about quark, and what it is scientifically, the age-old atom symbol came to mind... it's probably the first thing that came to many people's minds, actually.  I debated whether such a common symbol would be appropriate, and decided that it would. For the most part, the atom symbol is instantly recognizable, it inspires curiosity, expands one's thoughts (inwardly expanding, not contraction) from the macro to the micro (and even further for quark).

So I felt the atom symbol was the ideal embodiment... but then I had the problem, how to integrate it with the Q?

I thought the atom symbol would be most appropriate in the center of the Q, and that's when I designed the 3 layer structure of the Q itself. There are 2 sides to every coin, so 3 of the 6 hashing algorithms would be represented on each side, for a total of 6. I actually never got to submit the reverse side of my coin, so it will most likely gather digital dust on my hard drive until I do another spring cleaning on my system here in a month or so.

But still, how to connect the atom so it makes sense with the design?

Then i thought, instead of a closed Q, make it open, make it subtly like an inwardly spiraling fractal... point the leg of the Q inward, toward the center of the atom... to make a statement.... good stuff awaits you in the tiny yet EXPANSIVE realm of the Quark Smiley

And so the shape of the Q changed in a vector design i was working on, and a preliminary version of the odd-shaped Q present in my submitted logos was born.

From there I decided to play around with the 3 layers of the Q, to get them just so... and it occurred to me that the center layer could also serve as negative space to give a double-line "currency" element (albeit very subtle) to the design. The limited number of variations I submitted have that center present, absent, colored slightly differently from the rest of the Q, or serving as negative space... just to give the general idea of what can be done with the logo through color changes, layer order and placement, etc... there are a gazillion more possible variations i could have included but i elected to be kind to anyone having to endure my submissions, and so i selected a base of just a few differing styles, as a personal choice, so as to avoid clogging up the thread over at quarktalk with a 14-mile-long post. When presenting things on the web it is quite important, actually, to be considerate of the human eye, and the value of ample white space to give the eyes a break wherever and whenever possible... as any designer would be happy to tell you.

Lots of tinkering, adjusting, etc., for a couple of days... and then I decided to see what the Q (with and without atomic center) looked like against various colors and backgrounds... that's when i elected to include the single variation where the atom appears more like a star. The star version, I feel, makes the same implication, as it touches the right rods and cones within the eye to impress and "light up" the image of an atom in the conscious human brain. So many design considerations, to... consider, lol.

The font for the letters "uark" is a very slightly modified version of Teuton Fett, a gorgeous commercial font I accidentally purchased about a year ago. I meant to purchase a different one but my browser was acting up and thus, Teuton Fett was my order for the day, lol... But to my surprise, I actually ended up loving the font for what it is. When I decided to enter this contest, Teuton Fett was my first and only choice for the lettering. Not everyone will agree with me, but I absolutely adore that font. It is modern, elegant, and just a hint of something futuristic.

That reminds me, I wanted the angle and pitch of the Q leg, and the way they all sit upon the base line, to match the lower right of the lowercase u and a... so I made sure of that.

From there it was a matter of deciding font size, kerning, leading, color scheme examples, whether to go for cheesy plastic phong or glimmering metal, or somewhere in between... then a quick and dirty coin upon which I could drop my lovely metallic Q... uploaded them, hit submit... and here we all are.

Thank you for asking me about this. It is always fun for me to reflect on all the elements that go into my designs that may not be apparent to the untrained eye. Wink
February 04, 2014, 08:14:08 PM

February 04, 2014, 08:07:59 PM
KJO
February 04, 2014, 07:59:22 PM

NO more fighting, no more bickering please.

That is the answer. Canceling the contest is unfair to everyone involved.

Fraud renders an offer void. That is basic contracts at its most fundamental level.

You are right it is unfair but that is exactly what must be done. Turn your ire towards the liable parties who have ruined it for everyone else.

Remember that story about the king who cut his children's toy in half to render it unusable as they fought over it? That is what is going on here.

AS it stands, the orig offer must be voided.
Activity: 565
Merit: 316
February 04, 2014, 07:57:20 PM

Basically it is too late to change the logo. It would be a huge mistake, it's a very strong logo!
The current design of the logo has it's flaws but they can be resolved.

I disagree. It's not too late to change the log. It's never too late to change the logo. Lot's of the logos look alot fresher than the original - which looks like something from a Dharma Initiative hatch.

However it needs to be called just Quark - Not Quark Coin!!!!!!!!  Smiley
Activity: 77
Merit: 10
February 04, 2014, 07:32:54 PM
Ok, let's clear up a few things.

We've now reached the point where even the 'scammers' realize this all isn't turning out the way it was supposed to be and that it's an illusion to claim a price of 120k by ridiculing themselves.

Many of us prefer to keep the logo as is. I agree to a certain point!

Basically it is too late to change the logo. It would be a huge mistake, it's a very strong logo!
The current design of the logo has it's flaws but they can be resolved.

We should reconsider the following actions for logo/branding:
- Rescaling (reproportioning) the elements in current logo (current one looks 'bloated')
- Implementing a modern flat single-colored logo design. Current logo contains too many colors which is problematic for scaling etc. (colorful variations can be then be made available in subsets, based on color themes)
- Providing vector files for each logo/branding/subset element
- Implementing standardized subsets of logo/branding (accepted here buttons, charms, physical coins, banners etc)
- Implementing standardized colors themes (For example smashed colors to give it a retro/earthy/grassroots feeling)
- Implementing standard text/font layout for Quark matching the logo style

I've used my concepts to introduce additions to the current redesigned logo. The Q around the logo (boxxl also adopted this). These additions can have different meanings/functions, a wallet for instance. IMO this is a very interesting concept that no other crypto is using.

We should use the generous funding of FlipPro as a budget, managed by the Quark foundation, to deliver a standardized logo/branding set based on the current logo. By leveraging standardized logo/branding elements for everyone's use we can help grow Quark to reach higher maturity. Cool t-shirt designs, posters, banners, buttons, color sets, coins etc.

We now have an entity (Quark foundation) that is able to properly initiate and manage this logo/branding project which, in my opinion should be an ongoing thing. I'm positive the dev team will adopt a high quality logo/branding for Quark based on the current logo.

For this a small designer/branding team should be formed by the foundation. The team should work together to provide the best possible branding for Quark!!!

As a designer participating in this 'contest' I ask FlipPro to consider the above.

To any other serious participant: I suggest you do the same!

Thanks!

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
February 04, 2014, 07:08:24 PM
Can't believe flip pro is giving 120,000 QRK away for a logo. He should have given 20,000 for the logo and 100,000 into awesome projects. Then again back then 120,000 was worth less than it is now, he should have stated the prize in $. What if Quark was at $1 each right now lol
February 04, 2014, 06:54:43 PM
Share the price with the 5 top designers and let the dev choose.
Is this a good option?

That's a decent option, but still I think the prize amount should be massively reduced.

Let's see...

What about...

2500 QRK for 1st.
1500 QRK for 2nd
750 QRK for 3rd
500 for 4th
250 for 5th

I disagree. The bounty is worth around 10k at current Quark prices. $10,000 for a logo isn't that ridiculous in the design world. Design firms will charge at least $7,500 for a logo design and to top it off it's not like the bounty is paid in USD. The federal government could pass regulations tomorrow that cause every crypto to tank in price. If that happened and Quark went down to $.001, then the bounty would only be worth around $1000 dollars. A total waste of time for every designer here. It's still a gamble either way.
February 04, 2014, 06:50:09 PM

That is the answer. Canceling the contest is unfair to everyone involved.
February 04, 2014, 06:49:05 PM
Is this a good option?

That's a decent option, but still I think the prize amount should be massively reduced.

Let's see...

What about...

2500 QRK for 1st.
1500 QRK for 2nd
750 QRK for 3rd
500 for 4th
250 for 5th

KJO
February 04, 2014, 06:45:04 PM
Forget about this contest boys, it is over.

Rigged votes have screwed everyone over and this contest is totally void.

Nobody from quark's team has anything to do with this contest so Smagmatilda, you can shut it.

FlipPro....Like I said if you really want to help quark, then help fund a viral marketing campaign with your quarks. This is what quark needs right now, not an overpriced logo.

BoxxL....bro you do good work. I would hire you anytime and may indeed approach you in the future about possible projects.

IT IS OVER.

February 04, 2014, 06:42:31 PM
IMO the voting process isn't the problem, it's (SOME OF) the participants that are the problem. There are way to many people on here trolling each other, accusing each other of cheating and just being assholes in general. I know you've spent tons of time marketing yourself over at HackForums and thats totally OK. I've also made countless posts to Facebook, Twitter, gotten my friends to vote for me, asked family to vote for me, gotten co-workers to vote and etc... and I'm sure everyone else is doing the exact same thing. It's called marketing yourself and it would be stupid not to do that if you're involved in a contest.

February 04, 2014, 06:42:25 PM
@Ultimist, I agree with what you're trying to do however I'm not sure your solution is going to fix the problem. For example, let says we cleared out all of the votes and started over..who's to say people won't start accusing others of cheating once voting resumes?

Hmm, extremely valid point. I've just been tossing ideas around all day, in my head, trying to figure out to make this fair. Can you honestly look at your number of votes, and then compare it to some of the really good designs that have 1 or 2 votes, or even ZERO, and say that your work is THAT order of magnitude better than theirs?

I can't, for mine or yours (no offense, I truly love your design and it is certainly deserving of a top spot, if not THE top spot) - I'm just saying that there is mediocre (mine)...fair (a few here and there) and excellent (yours, boxxl's, and MANY others)

There is this weird, massive discrepancy between quality of work and number of votes acquired. In all honesty I can't feel good about holding the lead against this MOUNTAIN of exceptional design work.

So after thinking for a good while, I thought of this.

Doesn't solve everything, but it does allow for a fresh start, pays heed to those below us who received a fair number of votes, and puts an end to this thread of treachery, accusation, innuendo, and the like.

Or better yet... what about this: We 3 as the front runners collectively ask FlipPro to change the prize from 120,000 QRK to 1000?

Still a nice little prize for the winner, but I think the prize (as it stands NOW) is far too high.

Don't get me wrong, if I won I wouldn't refuse it... but even past that I can see that it is an absurd amount for a logo contest, given the current value of QRK.
Activity: 800
Merit: 502
February 04, 2014, 06:36:43 PM
Is this a good option?
February 04, 2014, 06:27:40 PM
February 04, 2014, 06:17:34 PM
So many choices, yet very little variation in who seems to be garnering the greatest number of votes. I am completely confused as to how that happens. There are so many good entries. Could it be because those of us currently in the lead are listed on the first page of the Google document?

I'm not trying to be cute. Why are the votes stacking up in such a way? It's not following any sort of bell curve.

I have to ask everyone to look at all of the logos. There are more choices than just the top 3.

As the current leader (not bragging, this standing most likely will not last much longer) I would like to throw out a proposal to the current top 2 behind myself.

In my opinion, and I'm sure you both will agree, an absolutely *massive* number of great entries are being overlooked as we rise further and further above the others. I like both of your submissions. Mine is clearly the weakest of the 3, but I'm in the lead nonetheless, simply on the strength of my campaigning efforts alone.

So as the current leader, what I would like to propose is that we 3 sacrifice our voting leads to bring the next 5 entries below ours (in total votes) UP in the rankings, equal to our own... an 8-way tie... and then let the voting proceed from there. FlipPro could easily start a new poll to replace this one.

Just browsing over the past few pages it is clear to me that things have gotten out of hand, and we can stop it right now if you both will agree to do this with me. This is not really a fair contest to the other entrants. We 3 have been dominating this beyond all reason, and I think it is time for us to show some gratitude and sportsmanship.

This is a sincere offer. FlipPro, please feel free to disqualify me immediately, if I ask even once to renege on this deal we are about to make. I just feel that some outstanding work in this contest is going largely unnoticed, and I abhor injustice.  I suppose we could just start ALL over but that wouldn't necessarily be fair to those of us who have managed to move ahead of the others. And no offense to those beautiful entries either... as I previously stated, the way the votes are falling is completely strange to me. Utterly inexplicable.

I will only agree to this, though, if both boxxl and barrysoetoro will also agree to it. So what do you say guys, shall we do the right thing and bring up the frontrunners from amongst our competitors, and give them a much fairer shot at winning this for their outstanding work?

Come on, friends, you know in your hearts you want to make this a fair shake for all involved.

And before the criticism and flaming of me starts, for this, I am not pretending to be better than anyone. I am not claiming to be more "sportsmanlike" than the others if they refuse my offer. I am doing this for one reason alone, and you can take this for what it is worth. I am doing this, truly, because I want the others' work to get noticed, and VOTED FOR.

It is simply ridiculous that out of hundreds of possibilities, us 3 have risen so far above the others. Both of your designs are excellent. Mine is mediocre but I worked my butt off to practically beg people on all my forums to vote for me. So I am NOT insinuating anything about your work, either.

But the truth of the matter is, and I am sure you will agree with me here as well, your 2 designs are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to brilliant, beautiful designs represented in this contest.

Will you both agree with me to even out the votes for the top 8, to give the others a fair shot?

Again, FlipPro, and anyone who reads this, feel free to insist on my disqualification if I even attempt to renege on this deal at any point. I am fully prepared to put my money where my mouth is.

But as I said, I will only agree to this if the other top 2 will agree to do it with me, in the interest of giving more people a fighting chance. My lead will not last much longer, and most likely, I will not be garnering many more votes because I have ceased and desisted from all campaigning. Further, I have asked those who already know of my entry in this contest NOT to vote for me, if they haven't already.

So, boxxl and barrysoetoro... can we do this? Please say Yes, for the triumph of fairness and goodness over their opposites.

(Now I will post this and take the heat for it, as I am certain that I will be accused of insincerity, having something up my sleeve, or worse.)

Activity: 183
TDTPJR-P5SGXY-UU2OS6-BPTUV4-NJYQFT-6CWYZP-IA2W
February 04, 2014, 06:12:52 PM
FlipPro,
Firstly, thank you for bringing some order to this nightmare...

Here's my proposal.  We have 45 designers, and let's say we each get 1 vote.  The problem is we all have an urge to vote for ourselves, which would result in 1 vote for each person.  We need to have several rounds of voting, and no one can vote for themselves until the last round (or last two rounds, for example).

For example:

45 designers total:

1st round:  each designer vote for 5 other designers (can't vote for yourself)
then select the top 10 designers with most votes

2nd round:  each designer (all 45) vote for 3 of the remaining 10 designers.
select the top 5 designers with most votes

3rd round:  each designer (all 45) vote for 2 of the remaining 5.
select top 2 designers.

Final Round:  each designer (all 45) vote for 1 of the remain 2 logos.

I feel it's safest we all just write the names in, so we know there is no cheating.  For example:
round 1...I vote for:
1.  Freddy
2.  Tammy
3.  Sally
4.  Jimmy
5.  Frank

Also, I doubt all 45 designers will vote, so make sure people aren't cheating by creating an account and masquerading as one of the absent designers.  I've noticed a few people on this forum are very talented at creating sock puppets - it's pathetic, really.

Also, no more petitioning, "vote for me".  Each person, look at the google doc and select 5 names, then 3 names, etc.  

This is my general concept, feel free to modify the number of rounds or the number of votes, etc. if you please.

Again, FlipPro, thank you for stepping-in...I was really starting to lose hope in homo-sapiens in general.

sanders334

that seems fair to me^^
Activity: 183
TDTPJR-P5SGXY-UU2OS6-BPTUV4-NJYQFT-6CWYZP-IA2W
February 04, 2014, 05:59:07 PM
I think you should have to pay quarks to vote or some shit. This is fucked

flippro, I almost suggest you cancel this giveaway. I don't see a way to do this with so many fake accounts. not worth giving up your quark. give them to the quark foundation and let them decide how to do this/what to do.

VOTE FOR CANCELING ^^
120 fake accounts for 10k $ seems like a pretty good deal to me at least.

what is this?
a joke?
Pages:
Jump to: