Author

Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 # - page 155. (Read 458255 times)

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
The attacker seems to be ready to resume DDoS as soon as I announce a new server. Therefore, please contact me privately on IRC to learn the new IPv4 server.
Activity: 558
Merit: 500
legendary
IPv4 seems to be restored.
Activity: 558
i still get problems connecting to your pool
+1
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
Thanks for the info. i read this thread every day pls post when ipv4 is restored , although i try several times a day to log into my stats page. Need simple as i am not techy enough to overcome to many difficulties without some very detailed instructions as was provided by your youtube video when i first got started mining.

BTW i have really enjoyed mining on eligius these last few months and would like to continue to do so

TY
legendary
will there be a fix that will allow me to continue mining on eligius using windows xp or do i have to install windows 7? i cant even log into the eligius site
IPv4 connectivity is expected to be restored ASAP. Windows XP can use IPv6 too, but it's not as simple...
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
will there be a fix that will allow me to continue mining on eligius using windows xp or do i have to install windows 7? i cant even log into the eligius site
legendary
Windows 7 users might try changing their registry to lookup AAAA records; I don't use Windows, so I don't know this is safe or works.

Edit: one user reports he had to flush his DNS cache too:
Code:
ipconfig /flushdns
Activity: 767
FWIW, the ipv6 address is [2a01:4f8:141:30a6:feed:7:d1ce:deed] and this also works in phoenix beta. If it doenst work for you right away automagically, you don't have windows 7 and need to figure out how to enable ipv6

yup my ipv6 is fully working - possibly the python version I'm using doesn't fully support it.

Code:
C:\python26>ping mining.eligius.st

Pinging ra.mining.eligius.st [2a01:4f8:141:30a6:feed:7:d1ce:deed] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2a01:4f8:141:30a6:feed:7:d1ce:deed: time=39ms

Either way, it's not working for me, and it doesn't appear to be working for many people:

http://eligius.st/~artefact2/

EDIT: I upgraded my phoenix to head of the git repos, and now ipv6 is working.

Will
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004
FWIW, the ipv6 address is [2a01:4f8:141:30a6:feed:7:d1ce:deed] and this also works in phoenix beta. If it doenst work for you right away automagically, you don't have windows 7 and need to figure out how to enable ipv6
Activity: 767
When pool will be back to life?
As soon as the datacenter reactivates our IP addresses. In the meantime, IPv6 is working fine.

FWIW - can't connect on IPV6 either - maybe my python doesn't support it, not sure.  Either way, haven't been able to push hashes up since around midnight UTC last night...

Will
legendary
As soon as the datacenter reactivates our IP addresses. In the meantime, IPv6 is working fine.
Activity: 535
legendary
It was a DDoS. Thanks go to ageis, and also James with BitVPS for locating the botnet controller and getting it taken offline.
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
Same issue.

Pool seems down. Can't get to the website either Sad

Looks like the DNS still resolves though.

Tracing route to eligius.st [78.47.187.254]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.11.1
2 8 ms 7 ms 6 ms 7.39.188.1
3 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 66.185.91.177
4 14 ms 15 ms 15 ms 69.63.250.210
5 14 ms 15 ms 16 ms 69.63.250.97
6 32 ms 32 ms 31 ms gw-init7.torontointernetxchange.net [206.108.34.
62]
7 100 ms 100 ms 100 ms r1lon1.core.init7.net [77.109.140.193]
8 112 ms 114 ms 112 ms r1fra1.core.init7.net [77.109.128.38]
9 113 ms 112 ms 113 ms gw-hetzner.init7.net [82.197.166.86]
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
Activity: 742
Pool seems down. Can't get to the website either Sad

Looks like the DNS still resolves though.
legendary
But what if somebody hacked into your server and modified the code that decides which addresses get paid out?

If they were smart, they'd shave just a little bit from everybody's payout and insert a payout to themselves... I imagine it could take quite a while before anybody noticed.
They'd need to be very smart to find all the safety checks in place Wink

At least nobody can lose their past week's worth of earnings.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2300
Chief Scientist
Since it seems a lot of pools have been hacked (and balances emptied) recently, I just thought I'd let everyone know that Eligius should be immune to this attack. Since we generally payout in generation, I can safely encrypt the pool wallet, and never unlock it on the actual pool server (ie, only create manual payout transactions on an offline system).

But what if somebody hacked into your server and modified the code that decides which addresses get paid out?

If they were smart, they'd shave just a little bit from everybody's payout and insert a payout to themselves... I imagine it could take quite a while before anybody noticed.
legendary
Since it seems a lot of pools have been hacked (and balances emptied) recently, I just thought I'd let everyone know that Eligius should be immune to this attack. Since we generally payout in generation, I can safely encrypt the pool wallet, and never unlock it on the actual pool server (ie, only create manual payout transactions on an offline system).
legendary
Namecoins that would otherwise be allotted to unregistered accounts will be distributed between miners who are interested in getting namecoins, and myself (as compensation for the time I put into our stable merged mining implementation).

Luke-Jr:  I have a question about your pool if you don't mind.  How do you decide on the split for the extra namecoins?  Obviously you pay out the PPS for namecoins for those interested, but then how do you split the remaining "that would otherwise be allotted to unregistered accounts" between the "miners who are interested in getting namecoins, and [yourself]"?

Is it 50/50?  75/25?  How do you calculate the bonus for those of us who are interested?  Is it PPLNS with N being since the last split?  Can we see somewhere what bonus we got on our NMC PPS?
NMC uses SMPPS just like BC. The non-merged-miners are simply omitted from the algorithm entirely, which basically leaves an infinite buffer. Ergo, miners who have signed up for namecoins receive full PPS even when they would otherwise have received less due to the extra credit mode. This is especially important since we don't longpoll for Namecoin, and therefore, the stale rate is rather high - so unlike the BC side which has up till recently had a large buffer, Namecoin mining would simply have infinite growth of extra credit. My "share" is basically what I feel is comfortably not needed by the Namecoin buffer to pay miners during long "dry periods". The miners' "shares" are basically Eligius effectively paying for (a high rate of) stales.
Jump to: