Author

Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 # - page 159. (Read 458255 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 564
Well, he's pointing well over 250 GHash/sec of mining power at CLC, and he's also been begging in IRC for remote access to computers with OpenCL-capable GPUs for unrelated software develoment purposes due to not having any of his own, so it'd be rather... surprising if he didn't use Eligius users' hash power for this.

Edit: Coiledcoin block #6948 corresponds to Bitcoin block #161234, the 3rd most recent block mined by Eligius, so yeah...

So in other words, the following quote is indeed a lie:

While there are personal attacks in this thread which are bad, most of the discussion of what was done with the pool and coilcoin (or whatever it is) are relevant to the topic of the pool and should not be deleted.
Why does it seem like people don't read anything? The Coiledcoin nonsense is NOT RELATED TO THE POOL.

Shameful. Utterly shameful.
Well, it's certainly rather less than honest, but he genuinely does seem to believe that whatever other things he does with his pool are irrelevant to miners so long as they get their Bitcoins.

(By the way, the same is true of the Eligius-mined Bitcoin block two earlier, block #161142, and Coiledcoin block #6433. Also, by "corresponds" I mean that they share the exact same proof-of-work and were therefore merged-mined together. There are almost certainly more too, I just haven't looked further back.)
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Luke, could you please shed some light on the CLC events related to eligius or point me to where I can find this info.

Specifically: were eligius pool hashes used to merge mine CLC or any other chains besides btc and nmc?

Thanks.
Well, he's pointing well over 250 GHash/sec of mining power at CLC, and he's also been begging in IRC for remote access to computers with OpenCL-capable GPUs for unrelated software develoment purposes due to not having any of his own, so it'd be rather... surprising if he didn't use Eligius users' hash power for this.

Edit: Coiledcoin block #6948 corresponds to Bitcoin block #161234, the 3rd most recent block mined by Eligius, so yeah...

So in other words, the following quote is indeed a lie:

While there are personal attacks in this thread which are bad, most of the discussion of what was done with the pool and coilcoin (or whatever it is) are relevant to the topic of the pool and should not be deleted.
Why does it seem like people don't read anything? The Coiledcoin nonsense is NOT RELATED TO THE POOL.

Shameful. Utterly shameful.
Luke, could you please shed some light on the CLC events related to eligius or point me to where I can find this info.

Specifically: were eligius pool hashes used to merge mine CLC or any other chains besides btc and nmc?

Thanks.

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
That's what I get for not reading the whole file.
I stand corrected. And 0.4% faster.

BTW, that while(1) kinda bugs me. I've always preferred a macroed while(TRUE) instead.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
BTW, bonus 0.4% shares for cgminer users if you apply my patch: https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/pull/68
Thank you kindly, sir. That loop optimization looks great with one less comparison to make.
Actually, the optimization there is trivial and has no net effect. What's important is the bugfix so it doesn't discard all shares starting with FF in the nonce Wink
BTW, bonus 0.4% shares for cgminer users if you apply my patch: https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/pull/68
Thank you kindly, sir. That loop optimization looks great with one less comparison to make.

...and before you guys post, no the patch doesn't contain a list of alt-coin targets Tongue ...although it could increase the attack rate by 0.4%  Grin
legendary
legendary
What algorithm does the pool use when sending LP messages? Biggest miners first? Random?
Not random, but might as well be. At one point, I modified pushpool to prioritize the more efficient clients (ie, rollntime+noncerange), but I'm not sure if that's live right now. A few months ago, I began writing Eloipool, a very-fast modular Python pool server, and the first with internal work generation (even before PSJ), but I had to turn it off when I enabled NMC merged mining (because Eloipool doesn't support it yet), and the JSON-RPC Server module is very quickly thrown together and cannot handle more than a handful of connected clients. I'd love to get it finished, which would probably solve most of the stales and related issues, but I haven't been able to justify the time as of late. If anyone wants to help, I have the code up on Gitorious...
Angry neighborhood bastard mod here: Jenkins has been permbanned. Do not repeat his mistake. Continue this thread in a straight forward and orderly manner.
Jolly good.

Luke, I have a technical question totally non-related to the recent snafu.
I get great ping times to your pool (50 to 70 ms) but somehow I often manage a stale or two during LP notifications.
What algorithm does the pool use when sending LP messages? Biggest miners first? Random?
There must be some heavy magic being used at Bitminter, they have higher pings but hardly any stales.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

Thanks.
If I hadn't already left Eligius when I realized his wiki flat out lied about his payout methods (may have been fixed now, I don't know, I'm not coming back) I'd certainly leave now.
legendary
The pool is under heavy enemy fire ^^
Sir Chivalrous Luke the Crusader, the bravest of anti-altcoin knights, seems to have pissed off great many folks. An angry mob with pitchforks is besieging castle Eligius right now.
Actually, I haven't noticed any problems from that. I did have trouble applying the bugfix for makomk's exploit, but that shouldn't have lasted very long.
Come to EclipseMC!  Wink
That's just uncalled for. Moderate yourself appropriately. :p
He just stated he didn't use the pool to do it.  I was mistaken that he used merged mining.  You should read his post better.
Interesting. The other statement from him was rather more weasily:

I will clarify that Eligius miners were not adversely impacted by this, and that the CLC mining involved only adding data that I hashed myself to my own transactions; and I was careful to ensure that nobody lost any confirmed CLC
Which of course, is entirely true except for the part about not losing confirmed CLC, because that's how merged mining works - through the pool adding data they'd hashed themselves (namely the merged mining merkle-tree root) to their own transactions (more specifically, the pool's coinbase transactions). Judging from observations of the hashrate, the reason Eligius miners weren't adversely affected was because he intentionally didn't trigger long polls on receiving a new CLC block.
What the heck is going on with the pool?  For the last three hours, many addresses hash rates have dropped off and the current block estimate graph has stopped working.
That's about when he removed OP_EVAL support from the pool's Bitcoin client. (During Coiledcoin development I found an interesting security vulnerability in it whereby you could feed pools and mining nodes a poisoned transaction that'd make them unable to successfully mine any blocks. Thankfully not everyone is quite as malicious as Luke Jr. Apparently Gavin had already fixed it in the proposed replacement for OP_EVAL but presumably not thought to warn the pools for whatever reason.)
The pool is under heavy enemy fire ^^
Sir Chivalrous Luke the Crusader, the bravest of anti-altcoin knights, seems to have pissed off great many folks. I expect an angry mob with pitchforks is besieging castle Eligius right now.

EDIT:: Thanks for making me have to direct all my miners somewhere else Sir Luke. I'll get back when the dust settles, unless I will have found a better pool by then. Bitminter seems to work superbly with cgminer, you know... just watch the non-existent stales ::drools::
Activity: 409
Merit: 251
Crypt'n Since 2011
What the heck is going on with the pool?  For the last three hours, many addresses hash rates have dropped off and the current block estimate graph has stopped working.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Wow, its interesting how quiet this thread is.  It seems all the people calling names have no balls.  Got all pissed off because of something they thought was going on, called a bunch of people names, then come to find out, they were wrong.  No apology, nothing.  Classy. Real Classy.

As I stated in another thread:

Pyramid schemes built upon forks of the Bitcoin software ultimately discredit and harm Bitcoin's reputation.
Attacking and killing them serves to provide ultimately more discredit to the entire project than just letting them slide into oblivion. What you have achieved here is simply wasting your time to no productive end.

I stand by this.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
BitMinter
I don't like what has happened (no matter if those alt coins where useful to anyone) and i don't like lukes self righteous attitude. Don't feel like i have to apologise anything.
vip
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
Wow, its interesting how quiet this thread is.  It seems all the people calling names have no balls.  Got all pissed off because of something they thought was going on, called a bunch of people names, then come to find out, they were wrong.  No apology, nothing.  Classy. Real Classy.

reportedly they may not have been wrong, it's really an assumption that Luke is telling the truth that leads you to this conclusion.  Maybe some independent verification is in order?

What led them to their original conclusion that their hashes were ever wasted or whatever? What makes them think their info is involved?  Perhaps they should submit their evidence?
vip
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
Jump to: