Author

Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 # - page 199. (Read 458255 times)

Activity: 634
Merit: 500
{Edit-Removed double negatives} It's also true that invalid blocks matter, right?  Too many invalid blocks will push our "long round vs short round" ratio more towards long rounds.  SMPPS works well when long and short rounds are balanced over time.  More long rounds artificially caused by invalid blocks will "break" that underlying assumption.
This is absolutely correct. If an invalid block occurs... it's as if the block didn't occur at all (according to the pool) and makes the rounds longer.

I don't like that invalid block are hidden because it makes it harder to notice if there is a problem.  
I agree again. We should have all blocks solved...valid or invalid listed in the stats. Please don't change it.
The more info we (the pool members) have the better.
Activity: 634
By the way, how do you handle payouts of more than 50 BTC? I can imagine on the next block people will have stored up so much reward that it cannot fit in the "generate" part.

The pool will never payout more than 50BTC per block generated.
Quick Explanation:
If the current block takes so long that Pay Per Share has "used up all 50BTC." then the pool will revert to proportional payout.

Long Explanation:

The pool is on a Max Pay Per Share payout system.
This means that the if a new block is solved faster than normal... and the Pay Per Share payout to everyone was only 40BTC... the pool will save the left over 10BTC for later.

Then if a particularly long block happens.. and the Pay Per Share payout happens to be 60 BTC. The pool will use the saved 10BTC from the previous block to help pay for the shares.

THEN... if another long block occurs, and the Pay Per Share is 60BTC (again). The pool will pay out only 50BTC on a proportional basis.

If there are several short blocks in a row (like we just had), then the pool will save all of the extra BTC for later.
You will never be able to get all of that stored BTC until your miners submit as many shares as it takes to earn back all of the stored BTC.

So, to sum up:
Short blocks will help pay for long blocks--this will help keep everything more averaged.
Activity: 737
It's also not true that invalid blocks don't matter, right?  Too many invalid blocks will push our "long round vs short round" ratio more towards long rounds.  SMPPS works well when long and short rounds are balanced over time.  More long rounds artificially caused by invalid blocks will "break" that underlying assumption.

I don't like that invalid block are hidden because it makes it harder to notice if there is a problem.   We shouldn't have statistically more invalid blocks than other pools, but it seems like we do.
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
that's happening quite often.

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Firstbits: 1yetiax
I kinda like the "invalid" block stats because hiding them makes no sense. It's one thing to have a long round of 14+ hours and another thing if actually every round lasted roughly 5 hours but there were 3 invalid blocks. I'd like to know that!
Activity: 518
Merit: 100
Seems we had an invalid block just recently. So, since the stats now show rounds rather than blocks I guess it makes sense to remove the invalid blocks from the table as the shares still are counted in the ongoing round – but, how about adding something in the table that indicates that a round includes invalid blocks?
Activity: 371
Merit: 250
From the UK. If I use poclbm, or phoenix, they regularly have networking issues, so I lose mining time. Phoenix 1.5, poclbm, whatever the newest one is Tongue
Activity: 313
Merit: 251
Third score
Scratch that - it seems Phoernix miner fails with EU/s3, but not US, yet DiabloMiner works on S3, so I swapped Smiley

I have no problem with Phoenix on Eligius, in fact I get better results with it instead of poclbm (more accepted shares per hour). Connecting from Europe.
Scratch that - it seems Phoernix miner fails with EU/s3, but not US, yet DiabloMiner works on S3, so I swapped Smiley
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Firstbits: 1yetiax
Yup, you're right! When all the short rounds happened, I though "are we ever gonna need that much reserve?" But now that this round is taking forever plus the invalidated block last night I rest assured that I still get paid a more or less constant rate. I love it!

By the way, how do you handle payouts of more than 50 BTC? I can imagine on the next block people will have stored up so much reward that it cannot fit in the "generate" part. Will there also be transfers for some people or will payouts be shifted to another block in a short round?
Activity: 18
This new system gives me a warm fuzzy feeling w.r.t. invalid blocks.  They effectively don't matter as the slope continues to grow happily until a block is found =)
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020
@artefact2:

would be nice to have info about btc generated in last 24h. lots of other pools have this displayed. it is very helpful to check if system works ok.
I haven't been using Eligius since the US server went down. I get far too many disconnects with the "new" Eligius, and, the long polling appears to be broken... I get rejects, then about 10 seconds later, long-polling notice... Sad

Which port are you connecting on?  If I use 8337 it works okay, but if I use port 80 I get tremendous amounts of long polling errors. Not saying you should switch, but rather just trying to gauge if we are having the same issue as me
8337, I'm afraid. Unless Phoenix sets long polling port separately. If so, howishot set it?
Activity: 55
I haven't been using Eligius since the US server went down. I get far too many disconnects with the "new" Eligius, and, the long polling appears to be broken... I get rejects, then about 10 seconds later, long-polling notice... Sad

Which port are you connecting on?  If I use 8337 it works okay, but if I use port 80 I get tremendous amounts of long polling errors. Not saying you should switch, but rather just trying to gauge if you are having the same issue as me
Activity: 55
Just wanted to voice my support of the eligius pool, Im loving the new payout system Smiley
Activity: 211
thx for the explanations!

i'll give this a try!
Activity: 737
maybe a silly question, but when do pay outs happen? every solved (and confirmed) block?

Yes, when each block is found, your "balance" is credited based on how many shares you contributed (your estimated reward becomes a real reward).  If that balance ends up being at least approx 0.34 BTC, the pool will pay you*. 

*Occasionally, you may have to wait for one or two additional blocks after your balance passes 0.34 because of a backlog in payments.  Since the pool generally only pays out with "generate" transactions and those transaction are limited to 50BTC per block, long blocks (where the miners earned more than 50BTC cumulatively) may spill into the next block's generate.  Generally the combination of occasional short blocks and the fact that not everyone ends up with > 0.34 BTC on every block means that backlogs don't last long.  Of course your balance is still growing during this payout backlog, so you don't lose anything.
Activity: 123

Anyone else still waiting for EU or US server payouts to arrive?

My EU server balance page has been showing "unknown server" (link:http://eligius.st/~artefact2/eu/1F7NjSP5mN3s8C8c64R77ye4mdJEBimzmj) for last couple of days, yet I'm still to receive my EU payout. I've been checking windows bitcoin client but still nothing. I've checked the Eligius main page and the FAQ but there seems to be no mention of the issue. How can they just shut down the server (including individual accounts) before making sure everyone has been paid out correctly? There must be hundreds who haven't mined for awhile but will never be able to check their old balance or to prove they ever had any.

I'm still waiting for my .7BTC (from memory) but it's been over 2 days now and I'm starting to get a bit impatient.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=6667.msg295683#msg295683
Activity: 12

Anyone else still waiting for EU or US server payouts to arrive?

My EU server balance page has been showing "unknown server" (link:http://eligius.st/~artefact2/eu/1F7NjSP5mN3s8C8c64R77ye4mdJEBimzmj) for last couple of days, yet I'm still to receive my EU payout. I've been checking windows bitcoin client but still nothing. I've checked the Eligius main page and the FAQ but there seems to be no mention of the issue. How can they just shut down the server (including individual accounts) before making sure everyone has been paid out correctly? There must be hundreds who haven't mined for awhile but will never be able to check their old balance or to prove they ever had any.

I'm still waiting for my .7BTC (from memory) but it's been over 2 days now and I'm starting to get a bit impatient.
Jump to: