Author

Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 # - page 195. (Read 458255 times)

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
Are Mt.Gox wallet addresses valid? If so I'll throw 2Ghash to the pool... already can't use my MyBitCoin wallet with the pool and I'd prefer to not manage more than two wallets.

What's the recommended wallet system with the pool if Mt.Gox doesn't work?
MtGox doesn't have wallet addresses, it has one-time deposit addresses that are good for a single transaction within 24 hours. Assuming it works correctly with generated coins at all, you would have to time your address changes very carefully and even then you'd be losing some fraction of payouts... Any standard real wallet should work. So long as you have access to the private keys, you can rest pretty safe. I don't know of any web-wallet service that works correctly with generated coins yet.

Edit: I didn't notice, but MtGox changed the strikedout part with their upgrade.
Activity: 98
Merit: 11
Are Mt.Gox wallet addresses valid? If so I'll throw 2Ghash to the pool... already can't use my MyBitCoin wallet with the pool and I'd prefer to not manage more than two wallets.

What's the recommended wallet system with the pool if Mt.Gox doesn't work?
legendary
I see, your efforts to innovate come with some still unresolved technical issues that have the potential to result in more down time compared to a traditional pool.
More like potential technical issues. Downtime last week was basically hardware failure, and technical issues with random people not being able to connect are some Linux bug.

BTW, the last time I joined the pool, I was getting some kind of "upstream RPC error." The issue may have been with my miners though, as I think I was running them at a slightly unstable clock at the time. Also, my broadband connection was wonky at the time, so that is a potential culprit too.
I can't think of any way that would have happened for any significant length of time.
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000
I see, your efforts to innovate come with some still unresolved technical issues that have the potential to result in more down time compared to a traditional pool. Thanks for the clarification. I hope all your effort pays off to your expectations (the pool is already awesome though). I'll definitely point my miners your way the next time I have to take them down, if not before. BTW, the last time I joined the pool, I was getting some kind of "upstream RPC error." The issue may have been with my miners though, as I think I was running them at a slightly unstable clock at the time. Also, my broadband connection was wonky at the time, so that is a potential culprit too. 
Activity: 566
Merit: 500
ok, i was worried about my payout showing up as a generated block; confused that i had to wait 120 confirmations on a block, then another 120 on a generated block.

either way, it evens out and i love the 0 fee PPS mode!
legendary
But I'm wondering if there is any connection between what you call the "experimental" nature of the pool and stability? And if there is a connection, what is it exactly? I'm not seeing any connection. It seems to me that the recent server crash and resulting down time could have happened to any pool operating from one server, regardless of how "experimental" or "traditional" the pool might be. In a way, I like the experimental nature of the pool, if this means you are still in the process of trying to improve the whole model. And the instability isn't a huge issue since I need backups anyway. Still, I'm wondering if the ongoing experimental nature of the pool means an ongoing higher probability of instability. I'm totally fine with the way the payment system works, and understand that this can at times mean a longer wait to get paid, so I'm just wondering about the stability connection, if in fact there is one.
I keep the "experimental" label because I am not completely satisfied with the status quo yet. Eligius-Su runs a mixture of the old codebase with a newer codebase designed for MPPS and hacked to do SMPPS. It needs to replay the entire pool history (at about 12 TH/s) whenever I restart it (though I can hot-patch it without a restart). The current codebase is not capable of payout except in generation, which is causing some annoying delays. So a rewrite is still needed. In addition, the Linux networking stack has been randomly choosing machines it doesn't allow to connect--  we get the SYN packet fine, but Linux silently discards it without passing it to pushpoold. Investigation of this problem is ongoing. Finally, I am not 100% certain SMPPS is the best road to the future, and think newer, possibly better, payout methods should be researched and considered. I am happy that my efforts in this area have sparked others into researching alternatives as well, and hope we will see much more variety of payout methods to experiment with in the near future.
legendary
Activity: 1820
Luke-Jr,

Eligius was the first pool I tried and still in many ways my favorite. I'm thinking about returning to the pool now that the recent difficulties are past. But I'm wondering if there is any connection between what you call the "experimental" nature of the pool and stability? And if there is a connection, what is it exactly? I'm not seeing any connection. It seems to me that the recent server crash and resulting down time could have happened to any pool operating from one server, regardless of how "experimental" or "traditional" the pool might be. In a way, I like the experimental nature of the pool, if this means you are still in the process of trying to improve the whole model. And the instability isn't a huge issue since I need backups anyway. Still, I'm wondering if the ongoing experimental nature of the pool means an ongoing higher probability of instability. I'm totally fine with the way the payment system works, and understand that this can at times mean a longer wait to get paid, so I'm just wondering about the stability connection, if in fact there is one.
found my new pool. 1Gh/s coming your way!
omg, i love the stats for this pool! (and it works over port 80!).

thanks for the awesomness!
legendary
However, if someone has that much power, I would consider solo mining... Even if it took a week, it would be worth finding a block all to yourself.
I'm sure they've done some solo mining just for the fun of finding their own blocks, but no matter how high the hashrate, a pool can still provide better income than solo mining Smiley
Activity: 634
OMG:
#1   Eligius-Su   16ccjkuuQjQ64H9qssmXnj695DdBDR75wJ        59.06 GH/s

#2 6 Gh/s

Who the fuck is #1? Jesus! Thats a whole pool inside another pool, right?
That's a corporation that wishes to remain anonymous. They have a server rack full of GPUs.
Luke beat me to it, but I was about to say "It's no of our business who that is." That's one of the cool things about this pool.

However, if someone has that much power, I would consider solo mining... Even if it took a week, it would be worth finding a block all to yourself.
legendary
OMG:

#2 6 Gh/s

That's a corporation that wishes to remain anonymous. They have a server rack full of GPUs.
Activity: 308
Merit: 100
OMG:

#2 6 Gh/s

legendary
Activity: 910
PHS 50% PoS - Stop mining start minting

150 btc ftw  Smiley

Liking this system... got <1% corrupted and <1% wrong user name? errors so total with stales about ~2%, last 24hr, little high but much better than predecessor.

Activity: 139
whats up whis that...i used eligius as a backup pool...and had some bitcents there...now it tells me my adress is unknown?Huh
WHERE IS MY MONEY???

Read the thread.

Pool is running great at the moment.
Activity: 211
whats up whis that...i used eligius as a backup pool...and had some bitcents there...now it tells me my adress is unknown?Huh
WHERE IS MY MONEY???
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I appreciate the quick replies Luke, I will try a different client and see if that helps things.

I am clocking my 5830s to 925, their temps are all below 70.

Not giving up though, I'm sure I'll get it figured out.

EDIT:

Installed phoenix and not only is my problem resolved, I'm getting another 7 Mhash out of each card! Thank you, Luke!
legendary
I've been dipping my feet in to test the waters at this pool but am getting ~80% invalid/stale shares. I don't have this problem anywhere else, is there something I can do to correct this?
Without your address, nobody can investigate. My first tip would be to check your system clock.
1BwiSFPwkPaB14KYLjVVzSNJjcbFrwNycP

Everything seems to check out on my end.

Going to leave a card running on your pool for 30-60 minutes to see how it works out. Fingers crossed.
http://eligius.st/~artefact2/5/1BwiSFPwkPaB14KYLjVVzSNJjcbFrwNycP

75% of the shares are "corrupted", which basically means your shares have work the pool never asked you to do in the first place... This is generally either cheating (trying to solo mine, but still claim shares), miner bugs (ie, if it's changing the merkle root or prevblock instead of the ntime), GPU problems (overclocking or overheating?), or the pushpoold crashing (in which case it would affect everyone). I would suggest trying different miner software, and seeing where that gets you.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I've been dipping my feet in to test the waters at this pool but am getting ~80% invalid/stale shares. I don't have this problem anywhere else, is there something I can do to correct this?
Without your address, nobody can investigate. My first tip would be to check your system clock.

1BwiSFPwkPaB14KYLjVVzSNJjcbFrwNycP

Everything seems to check out on my end.

Going to leave a card running on your pool for 30-60 minutes to see how it works out. Fingers crossed.
legendary
Jump to: