Author

Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 # - page 193. (Read 458255 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 100
To make it even clearer: Are the "Paid in this block" BTC really paid in "this" block and if so, how? And if not, how then and why? Smiley

I think "rewarded in this block" would be more accurate, since the part that exceeds 50BTC may not be paid out in the same block even if the user is over the threshold. But they are guaranteed rewards, and will be paid out later.

It seems that when the pool has funds it pays out the whole 50BTC income to miners in later blocks, and instead adjusts the "server funds" by internally moving bitcoins from the "outstanding rewards" pile. In short blocks, that would mean that miners still get paid the whole block income even if the table says "paid in this block: 10BTC". So, "rewarded" would work better there as well.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
So... how are the other BTCs in "Paid in this block" transferred? Are they queued for future blocks, where the payout is less than 50 BTC? I'm not quite getting the grasp of this, nonetheless all of my payouts seem to work just fine.

To make it even clearer: Are the "Paid in this block" BTC really paid in "this" block and if so, how? And if not, how then and why? Smiley

The chart here should make it clear I think.
http://eligius.st/~artefact2/blocks/

Every share has a fixed value, currently at 0.00003198 BT.
So in a long run, the total shares contributed x 3198 uBTC will exceed 50BTC, in short runs, be less. The excess goes into the pool fund, currently at 358+ BTC
"Paid in this block" should be more accurately named "Paid for this block", the amount will be credited under the address used, then depending on the payment backlog as well as minimum of 0.33554432, may be transferred to the address some time later.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Firstbits: 1yetiax
To qualify for a payout, your balance must be at least 0.33554432 BTC. When the pool is calculating payouts (currently just 50 BTC at a time, due to limitations of generated transactions), it prioritizes addresses which have had unpaid coins for the longest first.

This is being given as an explanation of how payouts currently work, and is not a guarantee that the minimum payout or sorting algorithm will remain the same in the future.
So... how are the other BTCs in "Paid in this block" transferred? Are they queued for future blocks, where the payout is less than 50 BTC? I'm not quite getting the grasp of this, nonetheless all of my payouts seem to work just fine.

Activity: 252
Merit: 251
I intended to join your pool, but somehow I can't connect to it. Using DiabloMiner for example it says:
ERROR: Cannot connect to mining.eligius.st: connect timed out

Similar messages appear when using cgminer.

Try us.mining.eligius.st, it should be working fine. I've had zero downtime for days.

ps. If you want to check your stats & whether miners are active just write http://eligius.st/~artefact2/5/[btc address] in a browser.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000
DiabloMiner author
I intended to join your pool, but somehow I can't connect to it. Using DiabloMiner for example it says:

I suspect user error. I use eligius fine.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I was trying out non-big 3 pools with my secondary card and now I'm even thinking of switching my primary over from the bigger pool Smiley
Activity: 314
Merit: 251

Activity: 602
Merit: 501
Thank you! I will think about it.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
When do users get paid? What is the threshold? I was thinking about splitting workers (one address each) to get more detailed stats, but if the threshold is high I probably won't...
To qualify for a payout, your balance must be at least 0.33554432 BTC. When the pool is calculating payouts (currently just 50 BTC at a time, due to limitations of generated transactions), it prioritizes addresses which have had unpaid coins for the longest first.

This is being given as an explanation of how payouts currently work, and is not a guarantee that the minimum payout or sorting algorithm will remain the same in the future.
Activity: 602
Merit: 501
When do users get paid? What is the threshold? I was thinking about splitting workers (one address each) to get more detailed stats, but if the threshold is high I probably won't...

I think I saw the answer to this question somewhere, but I can't find it right now. I'm a little lost in the website  Huh
Activity: 737
Merit: 500
However, on long rounds Eligius sends out all the other rewards from its reserve in a sendmany(?) tx.

No it doesn't. 
Blocks are 50BTC, but with the PPS system rounds can have higher rewards since the pool pays for the shares with coins it kept after short rounds. But automatic payments are still limited by the 50BTC that fit into generation, so after rounds where the value of shares exceeds that limit the pool has to queue the payments and fit them into future blocks.

The sendmany transactions were only for paying balances from the closed pools, so until there's a solution that takes cares of backlogs in a better way I think it would be appropriate to update the information about payments... at least as a precaution against the kind of people who feel they have to tediously express their opinions when they have to wait for something...  Tongue
Firstbits: 1yetiax
I thought blocks were always 50 BTC chunks.
They are. Generation is (right now anyways, until block 210000) 50 BTC plus the transaction fees. However, on long rounds Eligius sends out all the other rewards from its reserve in a sendmany(?) tx. Although I couldn't confirm that for the last block of the 22h round ... How is that done exactly?
In addition, the Linux networking stack has been randomly choosing machines it doesn't allow to connect--  we get the SYN packet fine, but Linux silently discards it without passing it to pushpoold.
Turns out this is a known issue when net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle and NAT are combined. I have disabled it on the pool server, so it should be resolved now. Much thanks to mobiusl and everyone else who helped troubleshoot!

Are the NAT issues something that explains why I had connection problems when I was connected over VPN (which I assume uses NAT rather than giving everyone a unique IP at the exit), or is it just something related to the server/hosting setup?
It could be. The problem as I understand it, is that your miners are sending relative-to-an-unknown-value timestamps in the packets, and tcp_tw_recycle ignores ones with timestamps going backward in time (or something like that). So minerA and minerB have different relative-timestamps, but the earlier of the two gets ignored because of the later's packets...

Has been running fine since your first post. It was an intermittent problem, though, so I guess it's still too early to be certain if it's something related or just good luck on my side.

Something else... I noticed to pool just finished a 250BTC round, so how about an addition to the stats pages that mentions that payments may take a few rounds when the pool has a backlog to process?

I thought blocks were always 50 BTC chunks.
In addition, the Linux networking stack has been randomly choosing machines it doesn't allow to connect--  we get the SYN packet fine, but Linux silently discards it without passing it to pushpoold.
Turns out this is a known issue when net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle and NAT are combined. I have disabled it on the pool server, so it should be resolved now. Much thanks to mobiusl and everyone else who helped troubleshoot!

Are the NAT issues something that explains why I had connection problems when I was connected over VPN (which I assume uses NAT rather than giving everyone a unique IP at the exit), or is it just something related to the server/hosting setup?
It could be. The problem as I understand it, is that your miners are sending relative-to-an-unknown-value timestamps in the packets, and tcp_tw_recycle ignores ones with timestamps going backward in time (or something like that). So minerA and minerB have different relative-timestamps, but the earlier of the two gets ignored because of the later's packets...

Has been running fine since your first post. It was an intermittent problem, though, so I guess it's still too early to be certain if it's something related or just good luck on my side.

Something else... I noticed to pool just finished a 250BTC round, so how about an addition to the stats pages that mentions that payments may take a few rounds when the pool has a backlog to process?
legendary
Activity: 1162
DiabloMiner author
Tongue bored

Palmdetroit, just because those tripleminer idiots put gigantic sig banners up doesn't mean you can. I want to ban them so much.
legendary
Activity: 910
PHS 50% PoS - Stop mining start minting
donator
Activity: 1654
Merit: 1350
Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Jump to: