Pages:
Author

Topic: Optiminer/Zcash v1.7 (GPU, Windows+Linux, AMD) - page 19. (Read 115905 times)

legendary
Activity: 1191
Merit: 1001
Hello, what's new in 1.5.0? Smiley
Activity: 71
Merit: 1
I cant use the watchdog on linux, I get error mesg : permission denied, any hint how to fix this please

chmod +x watchdog

Wink

I get now error msg on line 16 17 and 18 about sysrq permission denied
Thanks

For MAGIC_SYSRQ restarts, you have to be root to write to /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq.   So make sure you are launching optiminer as root.  Just add 'sudo' in your startup script and make sure your user is authorized in /etc/sudoers to call it without requiring a password.

sudo ./optiminer-zcash -s mypool -u mywallet -p x --watchdog-timeout 30 --watchdog-cmd ./reboot.sh

For /etc/sudoers, you can add something like this...

yourusername   ALL=(ALL)   NOPASSWD: ALL

I see that you're a newbie, but I hope everyone reading your post realizes that you are suggesting a change that represents are *large* security hole. All you really need to do is create an /etc/rc.local script, which always runs as "root", that's something like this:

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#

j="/home/joe"
echo "==========================" >> /sto/m1/miner-reboot.log
date >> /sto/m1/miner-reboot.log

if [ -f $j/.reboot ]
then
   rm $j/.reboot
fi
$j/bin/watchdog.root >> /sto/m1/reboot.log &
exit 0

watchdog.root looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

while :
do
   sleep 3

if [ -f /home/joe/.no-reboot ]
   then
      continue
   fi

if [ -f /home/joe/.reboot ]
   then
      rm /home/joe/.reboot
      echo "============================"
      date
      echo "Watchdog hard reset, GPU HUNG."
      echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
      echo u > /proc/sysrq-trigger
      sleep 1
      echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger
   fi

if [ -f /home/joe/.restart ]
   then
       rm /home/joe/.restart
       su joe -c /home/joe/bin/s-opt        #Start miners as user "joe"
   fi

done

exit 0

=============

Note: Watchdog.root can be disabled at any time simply by doing a "touch ~/.no-reboot". Doing "touch ~/.reboot", which your normal user_id can do, will cause an immediate hard reset and reboot. So, the optiminer watchdog-cmd.sh script needs no root access and can just do "touch ~/.reboot" to trigger the hard reset. Finally, if you want to just restart optiminer, without a reboot, do a "touch ~/.restart".

Anyway, I hope that's somewhat helpful.

Hi,

Yes I am new to linux world, and although I really aprreciate your answer, I really didnt get a clue of what you said and what to do lol Smiley
I had to disable the watchdog cause I couldnt make it work and was either freezing my kinux box either askng for a password. Sad
If a GPU crash I reboot the whole rig manually, dont have a choice really.
But even that way i mine faster then claymore 11.1 miner on windows.

This is my starting script :
./optiminer-zcash -s zstratum+tls://us1-zcash.flypool.org:3443 -u t1PhMdkno9VkV7oRR3EhJFjkxDq7b4EqxX7.DwarfzZ3 -p x --experimental-kernel
Dunno how to do the rest, so it will have to do Smiley
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
I cant use the watchdog on linux, I get error mesg : permission denied, any hint how to fix this please

chmod +x watchdog

Wink

Thanks

For MAGIC_SYSRQ restarts, you have to be root to write to /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq.   So make sure you are launching optiminer as root.  Just add 'sudo' in your startup script and make sure your user is authorized in /etc/sudoers to call it without requiring a password.

sudo ./optiminer-zcash -s mypool -u mywallet -p x --watchdog-timeout 30 --watchdog-cmd ./reboot.sh

I see that you're a newbie, but I hope everyone reading your post realizes that you are suggesting a change that represents are *large* security hole. All you really need to do is create an /etc/rc.local script, which always runs as "root", that's something like this:

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#

j="/home/joe"
echo "==========================" >> /sto/m1/miner-reboot.log
date >> /sto/m1/miner-reboot.log

if [ -f $j/.reboot ]
then
   rm $j/.reboot
fi
$j/bin/watchdog.root >> /sto/m1/reboot.log &
exit 0

watchdog.root looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

while :
do
   sleep 3

if [ -f /home/joe/.no-reboot ]
   then
      continue
   fi

if [ -f /home/joe/.reboot ]
   then
      rm /home/joe/.reboot
      echo "============================"
      date
      echo "Watchdog hard reset, GPU HUNG."
      echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
      echo u > /proc/sysrq-trigger
      sleep 1
      echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger
   fi

if [ -f /home/joe/.restart ]
   then
       rm /home/joe/.restart
       su joe -c /home/joe/bin/s-opt        #Start miners as user "joe"
   fi

done

exit 0

=============

Note: Watchdog.root can be disabled at any time simply by doing a "touch ~/.no-reboot". Doing "touch ~/.reboot", which your normal user_id can do, will cause an immediate hard reset and reboot. So, the optiminer watchdog-cmd.sh script needs no root access and can just do "touch ~/.reboot" to trigger the hard reset. Finally, if you want to just restart optiminer, without a reboot, do a "touch ~/.restart".

Anyway, I hope that's somewhat helpful.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Just finished reading the whole topic, but still couldn't find what I was looking for. It's said that hashrate in Linux is faster for newer cards, but how much faster? What are the hashrates for RX 470 4GB and RX 480 8GB in Linux and Windows? For Linux noobs like myself it'll take the whole day to read all the guides out there and setup a Linux system so it would be nice to know what kind of difference in hashrate is there before spending all that time and effort. Smiley

I have not used optiminer on Linux. But if you want a complete guide on how to set up headless Ubuntu 16.04 with AMD gpupro 16.50 drivers, I wrote one of those.

At the end of the howto, just download and run Optiminer instead of Claymore:
https://blockoperations.com/build-6-gpu-zcash-headless-mining-rig-ubuntu-16-04-using-claymore/
Activity: 129
Merit: 10

chmod +x watchdog

Wink

Thanks

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
is this good for
3*4xx
win 10 64
amd 16.12.2 ?
in cm i get 660-690
https://s30.postimg.org/65jy3uh4h/Untitledhh.png
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1293
Huh?
Hi,
Where do I put that comman please, in the watch dog script or only one time in console mode ?
I had put the mine.sh in the start up service, so after reboot it starts again , but doing it that way I dont get to see the console anymore, is their any other way aftr reboot it restart so i can see console please

cd into the optiminer directory. Give the watchdog file permissions with chmod +x "file"...

Also is their a way just to restart only 1 gpu on the miner, instead of rebooting the whole rig ?
Thanks again

Bad idea, if a gpu goes down, there's no way to "revive" it.. Reboot is the only and best option here.

Thanks

sudo

(next time just edit your previous post.. )

chmod +x watchdog

Wink

Thanks

chmod +x watchdog

Wink

Hi,
Where do I put that commane please, in the watch dog script or only one time in console mode ?
I had put the mine.sh in the start up service, so after reboot it starts again , but doing it that way I dont get to see the console anymore, is their any other way aftr reboot it restart so i can see console please

Also is their a way just to restart only 1 gpu on the miner, instead of rebooting the whole rig ?
Thanks again

chmod +x watchdog

Wink

Hi,
Where do I put that comman please, in the watch dog script or only one time in console mode ?
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1293
Huh?

chmod +x watchdog

Wink
legendary
Activity: 1108
Merit: 1005
how underfoot at linux
details
i can underfoot at linux

I really like your posts, it makes me laugh all the time.
Activity: 270
thats not stock. I get 415 on win clay 11.1,, -96mv just curious if any better option

I get 425 on optiminer v1.4, net after devfee, -118mv core undervolt, linux.

Thanx. A bit still ahead of cm 11.1 win, but not that much to hassle myself with linux.
how underfoot at linux
details
i can underfoot at linux

I am guessing you mean "undervolt", right? You have to use Windows to mod the GPU ROM to set the undervolt, then use the GPU with linux. You cannot undervolt the GPU directly with linux.
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004
how underfoot at linux
details
i can underfoot at linux
thats not stock. I get 415 on win clay 11.1,, -96mv just curious if any better option

I get 425 on optiminer v1.4, net after devfee, -118mv core undervolt, linux.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

You would think with those Bios Editing skills and having figured out the timings they would be a lot faster  Huh

I am sure this would help-- I made the picture with your post in the background so you would know I am not bullshitting Grin

I would post a picture from the MemAdjustment tab but I do not want to give you the info to actually show you how to adjust ALL timings

You have AMD's internal bios editor and call that bios editing? haha guess a congratulations is in order for you sir.

Well thanks, glad you like it- it isn't that easy, memory timings etc are still in hex so hex editing skills are still needed for modding.  This is not a PBE type piece of software, it is a tool that is great for locating the correct hex values for any value on a BIOS
legendary
Activity: 2117
Merit: 1397

You would think with those Bios Editing skills and having figured out the timings they would be a lot faster  Huh

I am sure this would help-- I made the picture with your post in the background so you would know I am not bullshitting Grin

I would post a picture from the MemAdjustment tab but I do not want to give you the info to actually show you how to adjust ALL timings

You have AMD's internal bios editor and call that bios editing? haha guess a congratulations is in order for you sir.
legendary
Activity: 2117
Merit: 1397

Not sure what's so special about that screenshot, your tonga's that are running so slow? Should at least do 190, easily..

If that would have been 10 x Ellesmere i would have said, ok, that's nice..

Still, if one goes down and your system freezes you have 9 other gpu's sitting there being super productive Wink

i honestly don't see the point.. but if that makes you happy, well, then i'm happy too!  Cool

I don't think its special, was responding to the other guy that apparently thinks all i say is bullshit and I don't have 10 GPUs running on a single system. And they are running that slow because all 10 are on a single 1200 watt PSU and under clocked :p And as soon as one goes down the system reboots so thats not an issue Wink
Pages:
Jump to: