Pages:
Author

Topic: Pirate accomplices - page 6. (Read 30323 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
August 28, 2012, 10:01:29 AM
But as I said before I do not think pirate is running a ponzi so most of these loaded questions are N.A.
You mean you still don't?! Seriously?
The pro ponzi team has shown no evidence to support their claim. Why would I trust your word?
Wow, this is like arguing against evolution denialists who continue to insist that no matter how much argument and evidence you produce, until and unless you provide the unspecified evidence they insist on, nothing has been shown.

For about the fifteenth time: Every legitimate investment provides investors with some way to know that their funds were actually legitimately invested in something that has a reasonable expectation of making a profit and provides them some way to know that claimed profits or losses were actually the result of legitimate investment activity and not manufactured. It provides an assessment of the risk factors that affect the investment and some way for the investor to at least begin to assess the level of risk.
Activity: 291
Merit: 250
BTCRadio Owner
August 28, 2012, 09:58:45 AM
I say burn all those fuckers at the stake.... or give them a ruler thrashing they will never forget Tongue
Activity: 252
August 28, 2012, 09:52:03 AM
You sound like a sore loser :/  

What did I lose exactly? In fact I think most of the vocal people in this thread have nothing to lose in all of this. While you have very much to lose if you happened to be implicated as a coconspirator, as you should be.
At the beginning of this thread you were asking people to quote when did you claim it wasn't a ponzi and called p4man a slanderous fool. You go back and forth on your words and think you can pretend you never said or did things Then we dig up your old posts and you insult everyone that speaks out against you from that point.
legendary
August 28, 2012, 09:42:45 AM
But as I said before I do not think pirate is running a ponzi so most of these loaded questions are N.A.
You mean you still don't?! Seriously?
Activity: 206
Merit: 100
August 28, 2012, 09:39:25 AM
You all are dumber than a box of fraking hammers.

One:
No rich idiots exist that buy 10% over price.  Period.  Certainly not enough to move 500K BTC a week every week into perpetuity.

You're already missing it.

OK, so what is it? I'm honestly curious about what wrinkle turns the madness D&T describes into a totally winning business plan. What's to lose? Pirate's shutting down anyway, and even though many continue to deny it was ever a Ponzi scheme, you know that hope is fading every day.

Scroll back a few pages where someone asked me the same question and I replied.

You talked about OTC trading with 5% margins on both sides, and then some whales came in.  Please don't assume I'm Micon--I read these threads.

What did D&T get wrong?

There hasnt always been lots of exchanges to choose from. No that long ago we had to do the majority of bitcoin trades OTC simply because the infrastructure didnt exist. Pirate just discovered how to get a lot of liquidity doing that I imagine.

OK.  I've read this and the post imsaguy cited again, and I do not see where D&T went wrong.

The business model is selling large numbers of coins above exchange rates repeatedly, right?  If not, what is wrong with this description?
August 28, 2012, 09:33:52 AM

3. Goat shouldn't be the only scapegoat. Add here the others, everyone who gave coins to Pirate to support his scam should be blamed.

PPS: I repeat for everyone - blame everyone who gave coins to Pirate, especially if they got profit with it.

We do/are. Check post #12 in this thread. Goat is taking a lot of heat because he was very vocal in trying to get new investors during July, he claimed to know what pirate was doing and suggested it wasn't a ponzi, and now he thinks he can pretend he never said those things and has no liability. That he thinks him and Theymos are a similar situation is laughable when it's pretty much the exact opposite. If you use logic he jsut plus his ears and goes *la la la, can't hear you* or uses some wanna be lawyer talk to try and wiggle his way out of it. But the people he's arguing with (other than me) are quite a bit smarter than himself and he keeps making a fool of himself. It's kinda of like watching a quadriplegic fight a MMA champion. After he gets smeared he declares himself the champion and struts around. He deserves all the shit flung at him in this thread and then some.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
August 28, 2012, 09:25:11 AM

One:
No rich idiots exist that buy 10% over price.  Period.  Certainly not enough to move 500K BTC a week every week into perpetuity.

OK, so what is it? I'm honestly curious about what wrinkle turns the madness D&T describes into a totally winning business plan. What's to lose? Pirate's shutting down anyway, and even though many continue to deny it was ever a Ponzi scheme, you know that hope is fading every day.

You talked about OTC trading with 5% margins on both sides, and then some whales came in.  Please don't assume I'm Micon--I read these threads.

What did D&T get wrong?

There hasnt always been lots of exchanges to choose from. No that long ago we had to do the majority of bitcoin trades OTC simply because the infrastructure didnt exist. Pirate just discovered how to get a lot of liquidity doing that I imagine.
vip
Activity: 574
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
August 28, 2012, 09:17:29 AM

One:

What did D&T get wrong?

No, after that...

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1139115
August 28, 2012, 09:14:35 AM

One:

What did D&T get wrong?
vip
Activity: 574
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
August 28, 2012, 09:12:20 AM

One:

August 28, 2012, 09:09:34 AM

One:
No rich idiots exist that buy 10% over price.  Period.  Certainly not enough to move 500K BTC a week every week into perpetuity.

August 28, 2012, 09:08:19 AM
I have never tried to stop anyone from expressing their opinion.

We get it you think it is a ponzi move on unless you really have nothing better to do with your life.

Roll Eyes

Took about 30 sec to find that one, there's many more.

Their opinion had already been expressed.

Er?  So you would only be trying "to stop anyone from expressing their opinion" if you said something like "and if anyone else who hasn't expressed their opinion yet thinks its a Ponzi, shut yo' mouth."

Hairsplitting a bit much, aren't we?
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
August 28, 2012, 08:35:06 AM
If you invested in Pirate, you probably deserve some blame. If you encouraged others to invest in Pirate, you probably deserve some blame. If you lied a "white lie" to help people invest in something you thought would really help them but should have known was a Ponzi scheme, you deserve some blame. Etcetera.

1. Some guys on BTC-e stated they earned good money using Pirate scheme and withdrew money just in time.
2. Noone here said "I'm an idiot coz didn't withdraw my coins before the closure of Pirate's scam".
3. Almost everyone here makes Goat a scapegoat.

All this looks incorrect. From the correct point of view it would be:

1. Some guys got coins of other guys with Pirate's help.
2. "Victims" of the scam should say "I'm an idiot, next time I'll be smarter".
3. Goat shouldn't be the only scapegoat. Add here the others, everyone who gave coins to Pirate to support his scam should be blamed.

PS: Goat, perhaps u r not interested in my opinion, but I'd like to say that u should ignore accusations in this thread.

PPS: I repeat for everyone - blame everyone who gave coins to Pirate, especially if they got profit with it.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
August 28, 2012, 08:30:47 AM

Here's a post I made a bit ago:
When I first joined #bitcoin-otc, I did a crapton of trading.  I did a bunch of moneypaks to btc and back.  Basically, playing market maker for whomever needed to move.  Pirate joined around the same time as me, a few days earlier if I'm not mistaken.  He was doing much the same thing.  As a result, it was inevitable for us to end up trading.  At various times, we each would come up with some big fish (or so it seemed at the time) and would help each other out with sourcing coins or finding coins good homes.  All of these trades were always online, with random people that would join #bitcoin-otc.  Eventually, pirate had some 'IRL' customers and it seemed they were larger than your typical moneypak transactions.  Eventually, I got into mining rather than trading because of a few bad moneypaks that someone screwed me with.  It seemed safer and less time intensive.  Meanwhile, pirate seemed to be branching out his trading and there were times where he needed to borrow coins.  When trading, you'd tried to line up the incoming with the outgoing to minimize exchange risk and maximize profit, but then sometimes things go weird with one side or whatever and a person would end up needing to borrow.  It happened to me at times in the past so I didn't think anything of it to loan out.  Time went on, the lending became more regular and one thing leads to another and we end up here.  Pirate never really told me what he was doing but I felt I had a good grasp of what was going on.  The dip in and out of two transactions could make 10% pretty easy (5% on both sides, sometimes much more than that) so 7% actually seemed fair.

Even in the long-term and with such a huge volume??
August 28, 2012, 08:14:54 AM
I have never tried to stop anyone from expressing their opinion.

We get it you think it is a ponzi move on unless you really have nothing better to do with your life.

Roll Eyes

Took about 30 sec to find that one, there's many more.
legendary
August 28, 2012, 08:00:33 AM
Seems to me ppl r trying to find a scapegoat and Goat just has an appropriate name. Everyone who gave money to Pirate ought to blame only himself.
If you hire a hit man to kill your boss, you ought only to blame yourself. But everyone else can blame the hitman too.

If you invested in Pirate, you probably deserve some blame. If you encouraged others to invest in Pirate, you probably deserve some blame. If you lied a "white lie" to help people invest in something you thought would really help them but should have known was a Ponzi scheme, you deserve some blame. Etcetera.

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
August 28, 2012, 07:47:12 AM
Seems to me ppl r trying to find a scapegoat and Goat just has an appropriate name. Everyone who gave money to Pirate ought to blame only himself.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128
August 28, 2012, 07:33:16 AM
In case you missed it Goat. 

Goat, you are wiggling too much. Simply answer these simple question honestly if you capable of that.

- have you  managed a proxy for an opaque investment that has exhibited all the classical signs of a ponzi scheme?
- have you profited or expected to profit from prolongation and proliferation of a ponzi scheme?
- have you  owed a duty of care and fiduciary duty to anyone who gave you money?
- have you provided adequate risk disclosures?
- have you implied at any time that pirate is not operating a ponzi scheme?
- have you implied at any time that you know some magical/secret biz model behind pirate operation?
- have you implied at any time that you know true identity of pirate?
- have you promoted investment into and lent credibity (or false credibility) to a ponzi scheme in any way?
- have you tried to silence, spam, mock, attack those who publicly warned about the risks of investing into such schemes?
- ought you to know better?
- what is you your real name and address for service of legal papers?

These are simple questions. Answer them if you dare.

legendary
August 28, 2012, 07:15:32 AM
Let us assume that I did know it was a ponzi, why would I go there and then post my photo on the internet?
To help you further bury your knowledge that it was a Ponzi scheme. To help you later deny "really knowing" it was a Ponzi scheme. And for a variety of non-rational reasons.

To help sell my insured bonds? The ones I lost significant BTC on?
To help avoid losing significant BTC on your bonds. To help you convince yourself that your money was safe, which is what you wanted to believe. And for a variety of non-rational reasons.

It is really astonishing how Ponzi schemes make people think and act. People who know it's a Ponzi scheme will lie about the scheme to friends and family to get them to invest and will convince themselves that they're helping them. It's pretty stunning really .. and sad. You've been reading the forums. You know how it is.

People who have money in a Ponzi scheme often maintain a kind of split personality where to some extent they know for sure it's a Ponzi scheme and to some extent they hope it isn't and can act like they don't know it is. It's quite strange and makes otherwise reasonable people do the very strangest things.

You know something. But you think it's in your interest not to know it. So you convince yourself you're not really sure. But deep down, you are sure. But you have a kind of plausible deniability that you build up in your own mind. I'm sure a lot of people reading this are finding that it resonates, and I hope a lot of them don't like that in themselves and try to learn something from this mess.

Or double down. Whatever. It's up to each of you.

Activity: 336
August 28, 2012, 06:48:55 AM
"Stop hiding behind Theymos. Theymos never claimed that he understood the business model and it is definitely not a ponzi. Quite the opposite. Theymos did not attack anyone on the forums who dared warn others that it might be a ponzi. You on the other hand have a well established track record. "

Theymos very much claimed to understand the business model and he concluded it was a ponzi operation. He then asked for people to list uninsured ppt's on GLBSE a company he partly owns.

I am not attacking people like Theymos who think BTCST is a ponzi. Everyone should be able to do whatever they want with their money. I do not find fault with Theymos for wanting uninsured PPTs listed on GLBSE.

However to call me an "accomplice" and him not, well it is very silly.

This thread is about who to blame for a "scam".

You met pirate, claimed to understand his operation and helped funnel money into the scam through your PPT.
Say what you want, and I have to give you kudos on paying out your insured PPT quickly, but it's difficult to look at the pictures of the pirate posse in Vegas and conclude that you're all totally innocent, particularly given how that meetup was used to legitimise BS&T...
Pages:
Jump to: