Pages:
Author

Topic: Pirate accomplices - page 9. (Read 30323 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
August 28, 2012, 12:17:34 AM
Quote from: D&T
Nobody thought it strange he never capped deposits?
Nobody thought it strange he never paid down the principal?
Nobody throght it strainge his funding requirements never changed?

1 and 3 are the big warning signs for me.  Why a single, uncapped fund?  Unless he could place the ever-increasing amount of BTC in his fund at 10% every single week and the interest he was receiving was being compounded, his scheme couldn't be sustained.  But if the demand was predictable, then why weren't the loans fixed term (even if that term was short)? How was he protecting himself against a sudden decrease in demand or against someone else offering his clients a similar service for less?  How was he hedging his risk?  Were his clients repaying interest only?  If so, when was the principal due to be returned?  What allowance had he made for his clients defaulting?  Why wasn't he trying to entice the hoarders who are still sitting on large amount of BTC which barely ever move?

These are all questions to be asked the next time a similar scheme comes along - and it will.

I do think there are circumstances under which people will both buy and borrow at a premium, but when that appears to be happening on a large scale I think it's probably wise to curb one's enthusiasm and ask some difficult questions before assuming you've discovered the goose which lays the golden egg.

The theory that I've always thought for this is:

There are 50*6*24=7200 new btc per day.  If pirate wanted to control the market price, he'd need to control a certain percentage of the market.  The open deposit policy was a way to suck up those new btc.  Obviously he had to continue to expand things to cover for that, but that is probably part of the reason 1) he was lowering rates a bit (even if people argue he really wasn't) and 2) he said he didn't know how long it would go on.  Anyone that thought that 7% would continue for years is sadly mistaken. When I see the exponential formulas that people want to throw around and they're extrapolated to anything more than 18 months, I just write them off as trolling.

Do you really think there is a never ending line of rich fools out there lining up to buy bitcoins at over inflated prices week after week? Further,by compounding the interest they would need to increase their appetite for btc or he would need to find increasingly more and more rich fools.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
August 28, 2012, 12:12:49 AM
Out of curiosity imsaguy...
1) How do you pronounce your name? I keep pronouncing it like I'ms (or Iams, like the dog food) A Guy
2) At this point, given the long delay and minimal communication do you think Pirate will be able to pay out the rapidly increasing debt he owes as per the terms of his post (principle + interest to the hour)?
vip
Activity: 574
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
August 28, 2012, 12:08:30 AM

1 and 3 are the big warning signs for me.  Why a single, uncapped fund?  Unless he could place the ever-increasing amount of BTC in his fund at 10% every single week and the interest he was receiving was being compounded, his scheme couldn't be sustained.  But if the demand was predictable, then why weren't the loans fixed term (even if that term was short)? How was he protecting himself against a sudden decrease in demand or against someone else offering his clients a similar service for less?  How was he hedging his risk?  Were his clients repaying interest only?  If so, when was the principal due to be returned?  What allowance had he made for his clients defaulting?  Why wasn't he trying to entice the hoarders who are still sitting on large amount of BTC which barely ever move?

These are all questions to be asked the next time a similar scheme comes along - and it will.

I do think there are circumstances under which people will both buy and borrow at a premium, but when that appears to be happening on a large scale I think it's probably wise to curb one's enthusiasm and ask some difficult questions before assuming you've discovered the goose which lays the golden egg.

The theory that I've always thought for this is:

There are 50*6*24=7200 new btc per day.  If pirate wanted to control the market price, he'd need to control a certain percentage of the market.  The open deposit policy was a way to suck up those new btc.  Obviously he had to continue to expand things to cover for that, but that is probably part of the reason 1) he was lowering rates a bit (even if people argue he really wasn't) and 2) he said he didn't know how long it would go on.  Anyone that thought that 7% would continue for years is sadly mistaken. When I see the exponential formulas that people want to throw around and they're extrapolated to anything more than 18 months, I just write them off as trolling.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
August 27, 2012, 11:59:58 PM
and to further expand..

When I first joined #bitcoin-otc, I did a crapton of trading.  I did a bunch of moneypaks to btc and back.  Basically, playing market maker for whomever needed to move.  Pirate joined around the same time as me, a few days earlier if I'm not mistaken.  He was doing much the same thing.  As a result, it was inevitable for us to end up trading.  At various times, we each would come up with some big fish (or so it seemed at the time) and would help each other out with sourcing coins or finding coins good homes.  All of these trades were always online, with random people that would join #bitcoin-otc.  Eventually, pirate had some 'IRL' customers and it seemed they were larger than your typical moneypak transactions.  Eventually, I got into mining rather than trading because of a few bad moneypaks that someone screwed me with.  It seemed safer and less time intensive.  Meanwhile, pirate seemed to be branching out his trading and there were times where he needed to borrow coins.  When trading, you'd try to line up the incoming with the outgoing to minimize exchange risk and maximize profit, but then sometimes things go weird with one side or whatever and a person would end up needing to borrow.  It happened to me at times in the past so I didn't think anything of it to loan out.  Time went on, the lending became more regular and one thing leads to another and we end up here.  Pirate never really told me what he was doing but I felt I had a good grasp of what was going on.  The dip in and out of two transactions could make 10% pretty easy (5% on both sides, sometimes much more than that) so 7% actually seemed fair.

Thanks for the non-defensive answer.  I honestly have no idea whether pirate is a confidence trickster who planned to take the money and run all along, a ponzi operator, someone who thought he had the perfect business model but was operating out of his depth and now doesn't know how to deal with the collapse of his scheme, or something else entirely.  Maybe he's the predator some people are making him out to be, maybe he's just a guy who isn't as smart as he thought he was when it comes to making money (and both the Bitcoin world and the conventional business world are filled with such people).

What I can't do is blame pass-through operators for whatever pirate's scheme turns out to be.  People were virtually begging to be given a piece of the pirate action which was not directly available to small investors.  That the scheme went sour is not the fault of the pass-through offerers.  That some people got back more than they invested before the scheme collapsed and others didn't is also not the fault of the pass-through operators.  Nobody would be complaining about the role of the pass-through operators right now if the scheme was still profitable.  The pass-through operators didn't take people's money under false pretences - people knew it was being invested with pirate and that his venture was high risk.  You can't blame your stock-broker if the stock you chose tanks.

legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
rippleFanatic
August 27, 2012, 11:56:05 PM
By the way Zhou, JRO, Bitscalper all did the same as the above and no one is calling them ponzi's. Just scammers...

No, they didn't. For starters, none of the above promised a consistent x% per week.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
rippleFanatic
August 27, 2012, 11:55:36 PM
But yeah that is only 1 key part of what pirate was doing IMO.

No I do not have a copy of his books but I still do not think he is running a ponzi.

Even if he takes the money and runs I think he did it cuz he wanted the money not cuz ponzi...

Now what if he manipulated or stabilized the Gox price while making trades. Like Lower when buying and higher when selling...

No way he could make a profit here... Must be a ponzi...

..[snip]..
Pirate never really told me what he was doing but I felt I had a good grasp of what was going on.  The dip in and out of two transactions could make 10% pretty easy (5% on both sides, sometimes much more than that) so 7% actually seemed fair.
There is a small bit more, but pretty much my understanding.

Also, you can see how hard it would be to unwind this.

Keep dreaming!

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
August 27, 2012, 11:54:38 PM
One:
No rich idiots exist that buy 10% over price.  Period.  Certainly not enough to move 500K BTC a week every week into perpetuity.
I disagree.  Look at the spread that coinabul charges.  It is closer to 20%.

BTW when I get tired of a thread I remove my posts so I don't have to see the stupid thing in my active thread list.  So don't be surprised when I get tired of this thead and do that.
By your logic, Coinabul could pay out 10% interest a week because they charge a 20% premium.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
August 27, 2012, 11:51:18 PM
I do think it's a viable business idea on some level. I believed it at one point, mostly because I wanted to believe.

But it's the volume of BTCST plus the extraordinary interest rates (over such a long time) that make me unable to believe it.

Possible, maybe. I just don't think that is what is actually taking place. If it weren't for my new bet, I would like to be wrong.

It's also very easy for a legitimate investment scheme to slip over into the realm of ponzi. I do tend to think it was a scam from the start, and that this business idea is the only one Pirate could propagate to justify borrowing so many coins. It was only a matter of time before someone realized how simple a bitcoin ponzi scheme would be to pull off. Inevitable.
vip
Activity: 571
Merit: 504
I still <3 u Satoshi
August 27, 2012, 11:48:57 PM
I think if any one were to go through D&T's posts they would find plenty of substance.

Smart people get fed up with idiots on forums just like they do in real life.

If nothing else, I think D&T has held himself in check quite admirably.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
August 27, 2012, 11:48:03 PM
The respect of someone that clueless, lost doesn't mean a whole lot.

I had more respect for you when I thought you believed it was a ponzi and were just looking to time it for max profit.  Unethical but not stupid.  This theory is just stupid.   On par with ideas like "a rich person could destroy Bitcoin by buying all the coins" but nobody was ever foolish enough to invest on that idea.

In related news Mr-10%-OTC-Trader no longer only owes his creditors ~$5 mil USD.  
It is now more than $6 mil USD and increasing at a rate of $0.75 per second.  

500K BTC * 1.07 * 1.04 * $11.00 = ~$6.1 mil USD.
So congrats are in order I guess.  All you "investors" just made another cool million (on paper)!
vip
August 27, 2012, 11:33:06 PM
You all are dumber than a box of fraking hammers.

One:
No rich idiots exist that buy 10% over price.  Period.  Certainly not enough to move 500K BTC a week every week into perpetuity.

You're already missing it.

No the only thing that is missing is your money.  It is gone because you are even stupider (if that was the theory you invested your funds on) than the ones who were just clueless.  Most of them were just gambling.  If you thought that theory made sense then please find a broker.  Please please because with investing "skills" like that you are going to need a good one.

You aren't adding anything to this conversation but personal attacks.  To the ignore you go.
donator
Gerald Davis
August 27, 2012, 11:30:44 PM

One:
No rich idiots exist that buy 10% over price.  Period.  Certainly not enough to move 500K BTC a week every week into perpetuity.

No the only thing that is missing is your money.  It is gone because you are even stupider (if that was the theory you invested your funds on) than the ones who were just clueless.  Most of them were just gambling.  If you thought that theory made sense then please find a broker.  Please please because with investing "skills" like that you are going to need a good one.
legendary
August 27, 2012, 11:30:38 PM
If Pirate is doing 300k worth of trades in and out of BTC per week, every week, why is it taking him so long to get back into BTC? Even if for some reason he was sitting on $5M is USD and 0BTC, you would expect after a week he should be able to have at least half that back.

There's no reasonable excuse to not start paying back lenders after 10 days.
Yes there is.  His customers do not want to sell at a loss.  His customers need to sell back the coins so he can clear them of ownership claims so he can give them back to us.

If his customers can't fund even a fraction of the funds needed, why not reach out to other sources? Bitinstant is likely sitting on a pile of BTC, and since if he isn't in the negative already he should have enough USD to buy the BTC he needs, they could probably supply at least a sizable chunk that he could begin paying out the 7% accounts with to stop the bleeding.
vip
August 27, 2012, 11:30:32 PM
One:
I disagree.  Look at the spread that coinabul charges.  It is closer to 20%.

Um that is why coinabul isn't moving $5M in gold a week.  Hell they probably aren't moving $5M in gold this year.

Poor execution.  Does the owner even leave mommy's basement?
donator
Gerald Davis
August 27, 2012, 11:29:05 PM
One:
I disagree.  Look at the spread that coinabul charges.  It is closer to 20%.

Um that is why coinabul isn't moving $5M in gold a week.  Hell they probably aren't moving $5M in gold this year.
vip
August 27, 2012, 11:27:58 PM

One:

Activity: 96
Merit: 10
August 27, 2012, 11:26:50 PM
Okay, LoupGaroux’s posts are interesting to read and the amount of cheesy quotes is indeed overwhelming, but really? Aren’t we all been here before? Even if it actually was the whole $5m stolen, the perpetrator/s will never be romantically punished by the ‘masses’ (you’ll in fact buy conference tickets from them in a few weeks) and surely there’ll be enough ‘investors’ born to fill up all the inconvenient gaps. These types of ‘incidents’ are bound to scale up together with the project and are indeed a result (maybe the very point) of a ‘free market’ experiment. The life lesson cannot be taught by any amount of typing/talking/screaming, as all parents should know. Sometimes it is beneficial to let kids break their heads a bit. I’d like to hope, however, that the pirate40 would not become an annoying evil hero figurine or an avatar of half of new users on these forums.
donator
Gerald Davis
August 27, 2012, 11:22:46 PM
Anyone who thinks the sell OTC trades at 10% markup was a plausible investment strategy is dumber than a box of fraking hammers.

One:
No rich idiots exist that buy products 10% over price.  Period.  Certainly not a continual supply of downright retards with deep pockets so you can unload 500K BTC a week every week into perpetuity.  I mean scope people.  We are talking about 5% of all Bitcoins ever mined (and given idle, cold, and lost accounts probably closer to 10% of all coins in active circulations).  Doing that once would be hard to believe, doing it every single week for months and months.  Are you stupid, or did you just fail elementary math?

Two:
So he can make 10% gross profit assumming he can perfectly utilize his capital.  He gives away 7% and then pays another half percent in trading & banking fees.  So he is left with 2.5%.  He does all the work, takes all the risk, dealing with clients, moving massive amounts of funds in irreversible transactions and gets the tiniest cut.  Worse if he has a slow week he is operating at a loss because his interest costs are fixed.  How dumb did you think Pirate is?  If you thought he was that stupid why would you have him handle your money?

Three:

Nope there just was this imaginary pool of 500K BTC worth of rich idiots.  Every week.  Not occasional but every friggin weak, forever.  These rich people just happened to only be know by Pirate and likewise never knew anyone else.  They also were totally incapable of using email or their web browser to locate other sources at less than 10% bloody markup?

Honestly anyone who thought this was the master investing plan is even more stupid then the ones who just didn't have any idea.  The fact that you guys thought this was such a great idea that you needed to keep it a secret is just sad.  Had you explained this theory I would have gladly debunked it weeks ago given our company brokers bitcoin deals we might know a little about it.

It is honestly the stupdiest explanation for the cashflow I have heard.  Hell the SR mixer idea while totally impossible is less stupid. Sorry for the rant but Christ people.   Seriously if you thought that please for the love of God hire a broker and never manage your own money ever again because I don't want to have to support you when you are 60 and on welfare due to you "investing skillz".
vip
August 27, 2012, 11:19:17 PM
If you can imagine all the investors standing on an island it looks like pirateat40 standing at the wheel of the pirate ship and the PPT operators are swabbing the decks. Now the PPT operators are claiming they were never on the pirate ship when their are pictures of them  sailing the high seas with the captain Cheesy

I have not ever met Pirate IRL.  I was supposed to meet him in Vegas, but ended up sick while out there and leaving without meeting anyone but the few people I had met earlier in the week to exchange coins with.  Those parties did confirm the trades, either here or in #bitcoin-otc. 
legendary
August 27, 2012, 11:17:43 PM
If Pirate is doing 300k worth of trades in and out of BTC per week, every week, why is it taking him so long to get back into BTC? Even if for some reason he was sitting on $5M is USD and 0BTC, you would expect after a week he should be able to have at least half that back.

There's no reasonable excuse to not start paying back lenders after 10 days.
Pages:
Jump to: