Pages:
Author

Topic: Pirate accomplices - page 10. (Read 30323 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
August 27, 2012, 11:17:43 PM
When I first joined #bitcoin-otc, I did a crapton of trading.  I did a bunch of moneypaks to btc and back.  Basically, playing market maker for whomever needed to move.  Pirate joined around the same time as me, a few days earlier if I'm not mistaken.  He was doing much the same thing.  As a result, it was inevitable for us to end up trading.  At various times, we each would come up with some big fish (or so it seemed at the time) and would help each other out with sourcing coins or finding coins good homes.  All of these trades were always online, with random people that would join #bitcoin-otc.  Eventually, pirate had some 'IRL' customers and it seemed they were larger than your typical moneypak transactions.  Eventually, I got into mining rather than trading because of a few bad moneypaks that someone screwed me with.  It seemed safer and less time intensive.  Meanwhile, pirate seemed to be branching out his trading and there were times where he needed to borrow coins.  When trading, you'd try to line up the incoming with the outgoing to minimize exchange risk and maximize profit, but then sometimes things go weird with one side or whatever and a person would end up needing to borrow.  It happened to me at times in the past so I didn't think anything of it to loan out.  Time went on, the lending became more regular and one thing leads to another and we end up here.  Pirate never really told me what he was doing but I felt I had a good grasp of what was going on.  The dip in and out of two transactions could make 10% pretty easy (5% on both sides, sometimes much more than that) so 7% actually seemed fair.
There is a small bit more, but pretty much my understanding.

Also, you can see how hard it would be to unwind this.

If this was the primary source of Pirate's income, wouldn't it imply that at 10% fee per trade he is doing 350k in trading per week? That's almost 2/3rds of MtGox's volume.

I never sourced my coins on gox.  When he and I traded, afaik, neither did he.  We knew large miners, etc that had coins and were looking to sell.

It explains why gigavps went to vegas  Smiley
Wat
August 27, 2012, 11:12:31 PM
The terms of the PPTs were very clear. The vigilante sentiment that has been floating around lately is just sickening (even considering the hyperbole).

Yeah it is crazyness. p4man even made money from something he called a scam. Will p4man will give back his coins? I bet he wont, but I bet he keeps crying about others losing. What a joke...

They mob can't go after Pirate and wont go after Theymos so they are trying to go after the PPTs. Now why would they do that? Are they just bored? Did they fail to read a contract or know how GLBSE works?

I would be very happy to meet anyone in court who thinks that I did wrong in this legally as long as the loser paid court costs.

Theymos asked for a favor and I did it. He wanted people to set up an uninsured PPT on GLBSE (a company he part owns). He did this while assuming it was a Ponzi. Will GLBSE give back all the fees from the PPT volume? I doubt it...

People should only gamble money they can afford to lose. People should have better things to do than judge other adults doing what they want with their money on the internet. I know p4man is feeling guilty cuz he won but he is not really being helpful by making silly attacks to cover up that guilt.

You guys should really bring your pitch forks to the satashi dice thread so you can gamble and troll more.

Enjoy

When the shit hits the fan the last place you want to be is standing in front of it. Thats just the way shitstorms work  Smiley

I really dont think lawyers are what the pirate brigade need to worry about if pirate was doing what I think he was doing. Anyone with half a brain would have avoided the whole situation not put themselves in the firing line when the inevitable happens. I dont know who made the worse decisions here, the people who thought they could get out before it collapsed or the people who setup pasthroughs knowing they would be left holding the bag if  pirate runs off to the caymen islands and sits on the beach sipping pina coladas.

tl;dr Are you really surprised that shit rolls downhill ?

I thought I was dealing with adult men here. Monkeys like P4man made money from a "known ponzi" then tosses their own shit around to cover up guilt.

He is not bad for profiting from the ponzi but it is the PPT who are evil, yeah... 

BTW I will be at a huge loss if pirate wont pay. P4man you going to give me back your winnings? Lol...

If you can imagine all the investors standing on an island it looks like pirateat40 standing at the wheel of the pirate ship and the PPT operators are swabbing the decks. Now the PPT operators are claiming they were never on the pirate ship when their are pictures of them  sailing the high seas with the captain Cheesy
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
August 27, 2012, 11:02:53 PM
When I first joined #bitcoin-otc, I did a crapton of trading.  I did a bunch of moneypaks to btc and back.  Basically, playing market maker for whomever needed to move.  Pirate joined around the same time as me, a few days earlier if I'm not mistaken.  He was doing much the same thing.  As a result, it was inevitable for us to end up trading.  At various times, we each would come up with some big fish (or so it seemed at the time) and would help each other out with sourcing coins or finding coins good homes.  All of these trades were always online, with random people that would join #bitcoin-otc.  Eventually, pirate had some 'IRL' customers and it seemed they were larger than your typical moneypak transactions.  Eventually, I got into mining rather than trading because of a few bad moneypaks that someone screwed me with.  It seemed safer and less time intensive.  Meanwhile, pirate seemed to be branching out his trading and there were times where he needed to borrow coins.  When trading, you'd try to line up the incoming with the outgoing to minimize exchange risk and maximize profit, but then sometimes things go weird with one side or whatever and a person would end up needing to borrow.  It happened to me at times in the past so I didn't think anything of it to loan out.  Time went on, the lending became more regular and one thing leads to another and we end up here.  Pirate never really told me what he was doing but I felt I had a good grasp of what was going on.  The dip in and out of two transactions could make 10% pretty easy (5% on both sides, sometimes much more than that) so 7% actually seemed fair.

Any reasonable businessman would not continually borrow capital at 7% interest per week.  Reinvesting profits in his own business would be much more profitable in the long run than relying on larger and larger loans.
vip
Activity: 574
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
August 27, 2012, 11:01:40 PM

If this was the primary source of Pirate's income, wouldn't it imply that at 10% fee per trade he is doing 350k in trading per week? That's almost 2/3rds of MtGox's volume.

I never sourced my coins on gox.  When he and I traded, afaik, neither did he.  We knew large miners, etc that had coins and were looking to sell.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
August 27, 2012, 10:59:08 PM

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
August 27, 2012, 10:42:02 PM
There are many types of fraud, the ponzi fraud is paying out returns from new investors money. The business can start out completely above board but the moment it begins recruiting new investors so that it can take that money to pay promised returns to current investors, it becomes a ponzi scheme.

If someone takes investment money and provides it as an unsecured loan to a friend or associate knowing the associate will "invest" it in a manner to benefit the lender, that is not a ponzi but it is fraud.

If someone takes investment money claiming it is for Business A but uses the funds for Business B and C, that is not a ponzi but it is fraud.

I would love to hear this brilliant business model that I'm too closed minded or dumb to spot that allows Pirateat40 to not cutoff interest accrual upon closing. If it's high interest loans not done in a fraudulent manner how can the returns have been so consistent and how can he be so confident of repayment that he doesn't put a stop on compounding interest? Please oh wise claimants, enlighten us. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
August 27, 2012, 10:17:33 PM
I agree that anyone expecting extra consideration from an uninsured pass through is mainly in denial or trying to pass the buck. But I think it's about time for people who said they "knew what pirate was doing" to step up and either say "nah I was just fronting for pirate" or reveal the information they claimed to possess.

I don't think this is unreasonable.  Even if pirate spun a plausible line of bullshit about his business model, I'm interested in hearing why people were willing to trust him with large amounts of money without investigating his prior business background, references, etc.  Anyone can claim anything on the internet.  What did pirate say which convinced people that he, personally - as opposed to his business model - was both trustworthy and competent?  What evidence did people ask for of his competence and worthiness of trust? 

A plausible business model is no guarantee that someone isn't just going to run off with your funds, so I don't think that can be the only reason the "institutional" investors placed their funds with pirate (or at least I hope it's not, because it would be hopelessly naive not to research the person behind the offer).

Here's a post I made a bit ago:

Investing in stocks or shares is one thing. A startup company is telling you "give me money so our business may succeed and we'll all earn good money". You make the decision to invest or not invest based on your judgment whether the expected returns on the investment is positive in the light of the viability of the business model, the state of the market, etc.

And now for a reasonable answer:

When I started loaning coins to pirate, it was much smaller, with only a handful of people. He never promised this would continue forever.  Over time, its grown but pirate's not done anything contrary to what he originally said and given me any real cause to not trust him.  Now, there's a bunch of people coming into this late in the game, claiming to have insight that others just can't see because they're "idiots".

Even if it was gambling, that's my right and often times, venture capital is gambling, even with the best of knowledge.  To call me an idiot because I partake is well within your right, but it doesn't make you correct.

and to further expand..

When I first joined #bitcoin-otc, I did a crapton of trading.  I did a bunch of moneypaks to btc and back.  Basically, playing market maker for whomever needed to move.  Pirate joined around the same time as me, a few days earlier if I'm not mistaken.  He was doing much the same thing.  As a result, it was inevitable for us to end up trading.  At various times, we each would come up with some big fish (or so it seemed at the time) and would help each other out with sourcing coins or finding coins good homes.  All of these trades were always online, with random people that would join #bitcoin-otc.  Eventually, pirate had some 'IRL' customers and it seemed they were larger than your typical moneypak transactions.  Eventually, I got into mining rather than trading because of a few bad moneypaks that someone screwed me with.  It seemed safer and less time intensive.  Meanwhile, pirate seemed to be branching out his trading and there were times where he needed to borrow coins.  When trading, you'd tried to line up the incoming with the outgoing to minimize exchange risk and maximize profit, but then sometimes things go weird with one side or whatever and a person would end up needing to borrow.  It happened to me at times in the past so I didn't think anything of it to loan out.  Time went on, the lending became more regular and one thing leads to another and we end up here.  Pirate never really told me what he was doing but I felt I had a good grasp of what was going on.  The dip in and out of two transactions could make 10% pretty easy (5% on both sides, sometimes much more than that) so 7% actually seemed fair.

This is about the best written and reasoned post in support of Pirate not being a ponzi that I've seen here.
Activity: 350
August 27, 2012, 10:09:21 PM

No you don't because that is complete and pure hyperbole.  Not a single person has calimed they will engage in vigilantism and even if they did that would be what 1 (or a handful) out of tens of thousands.  

I've actually reported several over the last few days and the forum mods seem to be cleaning them up pretty quick.  

LOL, RolloPollyBrownShit guy put up a bounty on me today. Mods deleted it.

Yep, because you're generally a gigantic douche.

(for those thinking I put a hit out on him or something, it was just for a swift kick in the nuts.  Something he thoroughly deserves, but clearly not a serious offer.   Still, I'd love to see it Cheesy).

vip
Activity: 574
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
August 27, 2012, 10:08:39 PM
I agree that anyone expecting extra consideration from an uninsured pass through is mainly in denial or trying to pass the buck. But I think it's about time for people who said they "knew what pirate was doing" to step up and either say "nah I was just fronting for pirate" or reveal the information they claimed to possess.

I don't think this is unreasonable.  Even if pirate spun a plausible line of bullshit about his business model, I'm interested in hearing why people were willing to trust him with large amounts of money without investigating his prior business background, references, etc.  Anyone can claim anything on the internet.  What did pirate say which convinced people that he, personally - as opposed to his business model - was both trustworthy and competent?  What evidence did people ask for of his competence and worthiness of trust?  

A plausible business model is no guarantee that someone isn't just going to run off with your funds, so I don't think that can be the only reason the "institutional" investors placed their funds with pirate (or at least I hope it's not, because it would be hopelessly naive not to research the person behind the offer).

Here's a post I made a bit ago:

Investing in stocks or shares is one thing. A startup company is telling you "give me money so our business may succeed and we'll all earn good money". You make the decision to invest or not invest based on your judgment whether the expected returns on the investment is positive in the light of the viability of the business model, the state of the market, etc.

And now for a reasonable answer:

When I started loaning coins to pirate, it was much smaller, with only a handful of people. He never promised this would continue forever.  Over time, its grown but pirate's not done anything contrary to what he originally said and given me any real cause to not trust him.  Now, there's a bunch of people coming into this late in the game, claiming to have insight that others just can't see because they're "idiots".

Even if it was gambling, that's my right and often times, venture capital is gambling, even with the best of knowledge.  To call me an idiot because I partake is well within your right, but it doesn't make you correct.

and to further expand..

Activity: 206
Merit: 100
August 27, 2012, 09:29:40 PM

No you don't because that is complete and pure hyperbole.  Not a single person has calimed they will engage in vigilantism and even if they did that would be what 1 (or a handful) out of tens of thousands. 

I've actually reported several over the last few days and the forum mods seem to be cleaning them up pretty quick. 

Yeah. No one asked this noob (who has been a "Pirate is a Ponzi and you guys are shills" kinda guy from day one), but I find the threats here disturbing, especially the threats against true innocents.
Activity: 868
August 27, 2012, 09:27:09 PM

I don't think this is unreasonable.  Even if pirate spun a plausible line of bullshit about his business model, I'm interested in hearing why people were willing to trust him with large amounts of money without investigating his prior business background, references, etc.  Anyone can claim anything on the internet.  What did pirate say which convinced people that he, personally - as opposed to his business model - was both trustworthy and competent?  What evidence did people ask for of his competence and worthiness of trust? 

Wat
August 27, 2012, 08:56:10 PM
I just want to say here that notme deserves a lot of credit for how he handled his passthrough (he paid back his subaccounts out of his own pocket). Kudos to him, man. That's not the kind of integrity you see everyday, much less on the internet.

HB

Thanks for the kind words.

You have handled the situation with integrity.
Wat
August 27, 2012, 08:54:19 PM
The terms of the PPTs were very clear. The vigilante sentiment that has been floating around lately is just sickening (even considering the hyperbole).

Yeah it is crazyness. p4man even made money from something he called a scam. Will p4man will give back his coins? I bet he wont, but I bet he keeps crying about others losing. What a joke...

They mob can't go after Pirate and wont go after Theymos so they are trying to go after the PPTs. Now why would they do that? Are they just bored? Did they fail to read a contract or know how GLBSE works?

I would be very happy to meet anyone in court who thinks that I did wrong in this legally as long as the loser paid court costs.

Theymos asked for a favor and I did it. He wanted people to set up an uninsured PPT on GLBSE (a company he part owns). He did this while assuming it was a Ponzi. Will GLBSE give back all the fees from the PPT volume? I doubt it...

People should only gamble money they can afford to lose. People should have better things to do than judge other adults doing what they want with their money on the internet. I know p4man is feeling guilty cuz he won but he is not really being helpful by making silly attacks to cover up that guilt.

You guys should really bring your pitch forks to the satashi dice thread so you can gamble and troll more.

Enjoy

When the shit hits the fan the last place you want to be is standing in front of it. Thats just the way shitstorms work  Smiley

I really dont think lawyers are what the pirate brigade need to worry about if pirate was doing what I think he was doing. Anyone with half a brain would have avoided the whole situation not put themselves in the firing line when the inevitable happens. I dont know who made the worse decisions here, the people who thought they could get out before it collapsed or the people who setup pasthroughs knowing they would be left holding the bag if  pirate runs off to the caymen islands and sits on the beach sipping pina coladas.

tl;dr Are you really surprised that shit rolls downhill ?

Activity: 336
August 27, 2012, 08:47:20 PM

Enjoy

Activity: 252
August 27, 2012, 08:41:20 PM
re: caymen stuff

Just going along with the memes. In my other posts I mention 12 noon flight to Bermuda. BTW I travel with a dog and Cayman islands are rabies free = HUGE hassle to travel there for me. Honestly my only motive is for fun. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
August 27, 2012, 08:39:28 PM
I just want to say here that notme deserves a lot of credit for how he handled his passthrough (he paid back his subaccounts out of his own pocket). Kudos to him, man. That's not the kind of integrity you see everyday, much less on the internet.

HB

Thanks for the kind words.
Activity: 770
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB
August 27, 2012, 08:26:18 PM
This appears to be the "Make Team Pirate walk the plank" thread so I'll throw my +1 in.

Remember that everyone here has an ethical obligation to discourage current and future investors in a likely Ponzi scheme.  Not only should the investors walk the plank but anyone doing anything other than warn against Pirate should as well as they're helping to build confidence in the Ponzi for later investors.  It's not ethical to remain silent, it's not ethical to sit on the sidelines and not warn people and it's definitely not ethical to treat Pirate and BTCST as anything normal.  It doesn't matter if a user has a financial interest or not, they're ripping off their fellow Bitcoiners and need to be marooned.

Stop worrying about petty forum rules and scammer tags, there's a higher calling here.  Anyone defending Pirate or instilling confidence in BTCST needs to walk the plank and it's everyone's mutual responsibility to make sure that happens.

Well put Smiley
Activity: 868
August 27, 2012, 08:25:04 PM

Here's a dose of "vigilantism" for you... think about just how important this coin is to the criminal elements that use SR. And then think about what fucking over $5,000,000 of that economy is going to feel like. Think there aren't a couple of pissed off hombres who would think nothing of the value of human life for that amount? You think there isn't a cartel hireling who would love nothing more than to make his bones with El Jefe by bringing him the head of the juiced up hacker boy who fucked up the single best money laundering operations El Jefe has found to date? When this turns out to be what many believe it already is, pirate is a dead man walking. That's not a threat, that's not vigilante action, that's the shakes in the world he decided to fuck around in. Oops, bummer, probably not the way he would have scripted it, but when you fly at that altitude, you really don't want to hit the windshield of reality. You fuck up $5,000,000 worth of somebody else's shit and think that you are going to walk? The vig on that alone is worth more than ten of your lives, and your family's lives, and your ancestors lives.

It's a lot like suicide bombing... that vest looks really cool and all, and the 47 hookers in paradise sounds really fun, but it really sucks when it all blows up in your face.

You're assuming that pirate has ripped off whoever he was lending the Bitcoins to when the reverse could very well be true or he could have been setting people up to be ripped off by his clients.  After all, if they just say "not gonna pay you any more, thanks for the BTC", what exactly is pirate going to do about it?  If pirate is involved with seriously nasty people, he has far more to fear from them than he'll ever have to fear from vigilante Bitcoiners should he rock their boat.  And if he hasn't ripped of those people, then they'll protect him.

$5,000,000 is not a great deal of money in the world of serious money laundering.  Bitcoin might be attractive to small time money launderers but it doesn't have the capacity to absorb the tens and hundreds of millions of dollars which serious organised crime launders.

While pirate's scheme may have been attractive to his clients, there's no reason why they wouldn't take a better deal if one came along.  I'm quite sure that other people in this community have considered tapping his market and possibly even succeeded.  His model was contingent on his clients needing increasing amounts of Bitcoin weekly and being willing to pay 10% for it, but I seriously doubt he was in a position to argue if they suddenly decided they wanted less BTC or were no longer willing to pay 10%.

Everything pirate has said could be pure bullshit.  There might never have been any clients, let alone nasty, shady ones.  He could come in here tomorrow and post that all your Bitcoins now belong to Los Zetas and you'd never know whether it was true or not - and even if it could be established to be true, are Bitcoiners really going to fuck with a drug cartel, a gang, or whatever other version of organised crime people believe pirate may have been servicing? I'll buy tickets to watch that event.   

He could also be just another opportunist who saw a chance to exploit people's greed.  He may or may not be working alone.  He won't be the last such opportunist the Bitcoin world encounters if that's the case.

pirate can write any narrative he wants right now and there's not a whole lot people can do to verify what he says in the short term.  

Activity: 118
Merit: 10
August 27, 2012, 08:10:15 PM
This appears to be the "Make Team Pirate walk the plank" thread so I'll throw my +1 in.

Remember that everyone here has an ethical obligation to discourage current and future investors in a likely Ponzi scheme.  Not only should the investors walk the plank but anyone doing anything other than warn against Pirate should as well as they're helping to build confidence in the Ponzi for later investors.  It's not ethical to remain silent, it's not ethical to sit on the sidelines and not warn people and it's definitely not ethical to treat Pirate and BTCST as anything normal.  It doesn't matter if a user has a financial interest or not, they're ripping off their fellow Bitcoiners and need to be marooned.

Stop worrying about petty forum rules and scammer tags, there's a higher calling here.  Anyone defending Pirate or instilling confidence in BTCST needs to walk the plank and it's everyone's mutual responsibility to make sure that happens.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
August 27, 2012, 08:03:06 PM
Undecided

556j has been saying that BS&T is a ponzi for months. I don't see how he could be a pirate shill now?  Huh Huh

The last thing we would expect!! Brilliant!

...tumbling down the rabbit hole...  Shocked
Pages:
Jump to: