Pages:
Author

Topic: PM Poker – True Vegas Style Poker with Bitcoin (New) - page 5. (Read 12044 times)

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330
I killed pmpoker and restarted it.  I have it set to auto-login, remembering my password for me.

While the splash screen was still up, and before any other GUI showed up, I started getting errors, starting with the 'access violation' you see in the bottom right corner.  It seems to always be trying to write to address 0x60, which may be significant:

legendary
Just as the next tournament started, I got a bunch more errors - notice the last one, which seems to indicate a coding error.  0x60 isn't a valid address to be trying to write to, so it looks like a pointer got corrupted:

I've seen similar messages on Windows (I'm back in Linux now, using WINE).
legendary
I signed up for the 11am freeroll at my house, then took my laptop to the neighbour's house at around 10:55am and got back online.  I had left pmpoker running, but when I got back online it didn't seem to notice.  The player list showed me as the most recent sign-up even though others had signed up after me.  I tried clicking around all over the client, but nothing seemed to make it check whether there was an Internet connection or not.  Previously, it's woken up and noticed it was disconnected when I click around.

I closed pmpoker and started it again.

It came up and logged me in (no updates to apply), then showed 1 or 2 error boxes (I think about memory violation errors, or whatever it's called when you deference an invalid pointer) but after that worked pretty much flawlessly.

I saw only one thing that looked like a bug.  A couple of players showed their hold'em hole cards.  One guy had only 1 card, and the other had 4.  I don't know if he was keeping some up his sleeve, or what was going on, but it looks suspicious.  Wink  The 2 popups in the top right are IM alerts from a different program.  I blurred their content.

Overall the game ran much more smoothly than I've seen it before.  It was fast and smooth and almost bug-free!  A vast improvement on yesterday at any rate.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
I'm getting the same thing dooglus is getting.

Google Chrome
Windows 7 32 Home

PS - omg, dooglus. I'm jelly. I miss PokerStars soooo much

Sorry, I was being inconsiderate.  I forgot about the whole "no US players on Stars" thing.

Did you ever use WINE to play pmpoker?  I'm wondering if that somehow messes up our accounts, stopping them even from working from Windows.

My Windows 7 is 64 bit Home Premium I think.  It says "Home Premium" when it boots, and it's a 64 bit processor, so I'm assuming they put the 64 bit version on.
dooglus - I don't even know what "WINE" is, so I think no.

Got the crazy pop ups again today. Same as dooglus has described - error messages popping up faster than I could close them. Had to exit (end task in task manager) the client and log back on. When i did, everything seemed ok.

legendary

Google Chrome
Windows 7 32 Home

Sorry, I was being inconsiderate.  I forgot about the whole "no US players on Stars" thing.

Did you ever use WINE to play pmpoker?  I'm wondering if that somehow messes up our accounts, stopping them even from working from Windows.

My Windows 7 is 64 bit Home Premium I think.  It says "Home Premium" when it boots, and it's a 64 bit processor, so I'm assuming they put the 64 bit version on.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

Google Chrome
Windows 7 32 Home

legendary
You're not going to believe this, but I just shut down Linux and booted into Windows 7.  My laptop came with Windows 7, but I've never used it before other than for 5 minutes to see what it looked like.

I went to pmpoker.com and downloaded the .exe installer again, and ran it.  I logged in to my dooglus account, and everything happened the same as in WINE.  First I got an access violation error, then a bunch of bigger messages with JSON in them.

Here's a screenshot:

Note the bog standard ACER wallpaper - it's a real OEM Windows 7 install that came pre-installed on the laptop because I was too lazy to try to find a "No OS" laptop this time.

So maybe the issue is with my pmpoker account, but it's definitely NOT with WINE!
legendary
I guess I should try something else that I know used to work great in WINE and see how that works now.  It that's messed up too then I should stop posting here, since it's clearly a WINE issue.

I just installed PokerStars from an old .exe I had lying around.  I ran the .exe in WINE, it told me there was a newer version available, offered to download it, downloaded it, installed it, let me log in, and everything looks fine:

So WINE still works for me like it used to, except not with pmpoker.

I hope somebody makes an HTML5 poker site some day, using the same kind of technology as http://bitzino.com/ uses.  Those guys know how to make a gambling site that works for everyone.  No need for Windows, Flash, etc.  Just use your browser, and it just works.
Activity: 614
Merit: 500
Yeah, I tried to get the developer of PM Poker, and other Bitcoin poker sites, to create Linux installations. Windows is such F'ing trash I really don't know why anybody caters to it anymore, especially if your target clientele are Bitcoin users. Oh well. Going to have to wait this one out, I guess.
legendary
Hmm. So, I'm not the only one with Wine problems?

I installed Wine on Fedora today. To be clear, I've never used Wine before. I tried opening PM Poker and it would make it as far as the log in screen, where it asks me whether I want to log in as guest or as a real user. Then I clicked guest and that was it. Nothing else loaded. I assumed Wine was just junk and so I uninstalled Wine. Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to judge Wine if it's actually PM Poker software. Although I am worried about getting malware through Wine. Can anybody alleviate my fears about malware through Wine?

I've had good success with WINE in the past.  Some programs work 100% fine with it, and some don't work at all.  What's weird is that pmpoker worked great in WINE until yesterday...  I guess I should try something else that I know used to work great in WINE and see how that works now.  It that's messed up too then I should stop posting here, since it's clearly a WINE issue.

The thing is, I expect lots of people with Bitcoins don't use Windows.  Windows is notorious for being targeted by viruses and other malware, so it makes sense to avoid it and use something more secure if you're going to be dealing with Bitcoins.  I'm not sure a Windows-only Bitcoin poker site is going to fly at the moment.

I'm no expert on malware, but I would expect it's less likely to be able to thrive in a WINE environment than on a real Windows box.  Specially crafted programs could probably cause you some trouble though.  I believe programs running in WINE can see your whole filesystem, not just your ~/.wine.
legendary
I'll try deleting my ~/.wine folder and reinstalling pmpoker from scratch.

I did that.  I re-downloaded the .exe file from the pmpoker website and ran it in WINE after deleting my .wine folder (where the Windows C: drive is stored, etc).  After installing, pmpoker downloaded over 5MB of "updates", which is bigger than the installer itself.  But that's a separate issue.

Once it had updated, it let me type my username and password, and then went crazy, flashing up error boxes quickly.  I moved some of them around so you can see a few of them:

I wonder if I can go back to the previous version of WINE somehow...
Hmm. So, I'm not the only one with Wine problems?

I installed Wine on Fedora today. To be clear, I've never used Wine before. I tried opening PM Poker and it would make it as far as the log in screen, where it asks me whether I want to log in as guest or as a real user. Then I clicked guest and that was it. Nothing else loaded. I assumed Wine was just junk and so I uninstalled Wine. Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to judge Wine if it's actually PM Poker software. Although I am worried about getting malware through Wine. Can anybody alleviate my fears about malware through Wine?
legendary
tldr: pmpoker doesn't want to work with wine, but it used to

I don't know what's going on today, but I'm unable to play pmpoker at all.  I get all kinds of error dialogs popping up which stop me from being able to play.  Earlier today I was getting this:

followed by an awful lot of beeping.  It was as if my actions (fold, raise, etc) were being ignored and the beeping was trying to get me to act, when I had already acted, and the buttons to act with has already disappeared.

I signed up for 3 tournaments this morning, and couldn't play in any of them for more than a few hands before the problems started.  I did manage to win 25 mBTC in each of them though by coming 3rd or 4th without winning a hand.  There are few enough players that you can get in the money without playing at the moment - so it's worth signing up just for that!

This afternoon I just tried again, and now I'm getting different errors:

These error boxes appear faster than I can close them, making play impossible.

I run Ubuntu Linux, and use WINE to run pmpoker, since there doesn't seem to be a Linux client available for it.  This has worked flawlessly until yesterday (well, as flawlessly as on Windows, I expect - I've had small issues with it, but nothing like this).  I updated Ubuntu from version 12.04 to 12.10 yesterday, so that may be the root cause of the problem.  The new Ubuntu may have a different version of WINE.

I just checked.  Here are the versions I've installed:

2012-07-23 18:00:47 status installed wine 1.4-0ubuntu4
2012-07-26 15:25:17 status installed wine 1.4-0ubuntu4.1
2012-10-22 19:40:56 status installed wine:amd64 1.4.1-0ubuntu1

So it went from 1.4.0 to 1.4.1 with the new Ubuntu yesterday.

I'll try deleting my ~/.wine folder and reinstalling pmpoker from scratch.
Activity: 602
Your *what* is itchy?
This guy is awesome, sealswithclubs is slowly going down, the admin has turned into a asshole and let his fame on the internet go to his head, whether this guy does the same thing, i don't know, but he is really putting effort into this, not just buying some shitty rigged software, he put alot in and i hope he gets alot out. Is it perfect? no, but it can only get better, right? no? yes.

This is a little harsh. SWC is not bad, and the admin was very cool and understanding with a problem i had...  now, the players, on the other hand. There are some real assholes at the tables. from spammers, to racist pieces of shit, to really offensive scumbags...
Activity: 602
Your *what* is itchy?
Hrm. I can't even get th eclient to connect. keeps saying connection errors, and after a couple tries it just tells me to click so it can close the client..

Win7-64bit...
Activity: 235
Merit: 100
PM Poker is BETA software, and yes still has issues with some messages going to the client.  All we ask for is understanding, when playing errors might happen, and when a problem arises we are on it as much as humanly possible.

This is not our first rodeo; we have been down this road before, with a stable and working bingo client on the web for 10+ years.

Our people believe in our software and hope it will compete with the big boys someday.  We do many things right, where it seems the other just do not care.

PM Poker let player view and play our software without registration as a guest (does any software do this).

We have always focused on customer needs, and even though Bitcoin is not the easiest thing to work with, we have automated the deposit and withdrawals the best that we can, with absolutely no limitations.

Poker sites are a dime a dozen, and tough to get started.  It appears that maybe at least we have found first gear, and appreciate the pros and cons about the software.

PM Poker goal is to make your poker experience enjoyable.

Activity: 366
Merit: 250
#RIP freemoney
This guy is awesome, sealswithclubs is slowly going down, the admin has turned into a asshole and let his fame on the internet go to his head, whether this guy does the same thing, i don't know, but he is really putting effort into this, not just buying some shitty rigged software, he put alot in and i hope he gets alot out. Is it perfect? no, but it can only get better, right? no? yes.

You are funny, Marker88
legendary

That seems unfair.  I've seen nothing but good from freemoney, and seals is a good poker site.  It's good to see pmpoker starting to put up some competition but I think it's fair to say the software has some way to go before it's as nice to play as the sealswithclubs software.  (And that's still miles behind the big companies' clients).
Activity: 118
Merit: 10
Great news! You guys have an excellent poker client. I look forward to partaking in the action. Keep up the good work!
Pages:
Jump to: