Pages:
Author

Topic: Poll for Gun Control Advocates - page 10. (Read 17866 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
August 19, 2012, 08:37:30 AM
No shops get robbed/extorted? No one gets mugged?

If criminals only interact with criminals, why would what they do be illegal?

Sure they do. Rarely with any fatalities though.
Obviously it's not only between criminals, but the majority of gun violence is between them. Which is what I was talking about, if that was unclear. It's so rare that you don't have to worry about it. I mean, you could get hit by an asteroid tomorrow, but you don't worry about that, do you?

The majority of gun violence occurs between the violent criminals because that's the only situation where both sides have guns. True, the shopkeep doesn't get shot, but that's because he handed over the cash when the criminal started waving around a pistol. The mugging victim doesn't get shot, but that's because he handed over his watch and wallet as soon as the criminal pulled the gun. The home invasion robbery victims don't get shot, but that's because they cowered in a corner as soon as the criminals shoved shotguns in their faces. The rape victim doesn't get shot, but that's because she didn't resist when the rapist pointed a gun at her.

There's no violence, if you don't resist. Doesn't mean there wasn't a crime.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
August 19, 2012, 08:29:38 AM

Sure they do. Rarely with any fatalities though.
Obviously it's not only between criminals, but the majority of gun violence is between them. Which is what I was talking about, if that was unclear. It's so rare that you don't have to worry about it. I mean, you could get hit by an asteroid tomorrow, but you don't worry about that, do you?
August 19, 2012, 08:23:39 AM
"Matured" into acting out of fear, rather than logic?

When you grow up, you'll realize there's no need to fear peaceful people.

Is that the same logic that you used before? "If we arm everybody and put them in a violent society, there will be peace"?
Did you know that in the UK most police doesn't carry a gun? And while they have slightly higher crime rates, they have fewer homicides by gun, or gun crimes overall. And carrying a gun has a stiff penalty attached. Someone mentioned in another thread that incentives work. Indeed they do.

I don't fear peaceful people. Never have. I do however want it to be damn hard for someone intoxicated, psychotic or otherwise mentally unhinged to get access to a gun. People do go bat-shit crazy sometimes, even for short periods of time. Drugs, desperation, something else, it does happen.

The UK is a criminals' utopia. As a criminal, not only can you murder, rape, maim, and commit all lesser crimes with effective impunity, but if your victims defend themselves with absolutely reasonable force or even lesser force, THEY go to prison.

Please back that up with some statistics. Love to see it.
August 19, 2012, 08:21:59 AM
And when it does, I want to be able to defend myself, and my family, thanks.

Yes, if you arm everyone (especially the peaceful people), in a violent society (such as the US), there will be peace. More guns, Less crime. If you outlaw guns, the peaceful, law-abiding people are the ones who give them up first. That leaves them in the hands of the violent criminals...

You don't have to worry about the violent criminals, unless you're a violent criminal yourself.
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/624/my_parents_are_deeaaaaaad.jpg

You get your view of the world from comics?
Activity: 504
August 19, 2012, 04:19:32 AM

Yes, if you arm everyone (especially the peaceful people), in a violent society (such as the US), there will be peace. More guns, Less crime. If you outlaw guns, the peaceful, law-abiding people are the ones who give them up first. That leaves them in the hands of the violent criminals...

You don't have to worry about the violent criminals, unless you're a violent criminal yourself.

You don't need to worry about the batman, unless you are the batman yourself.
Activity: 14
August 19, 2012, 04:18:44 AM

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/624/my_parents_are_deeaaaaaad.jpg
August 19, 2012, 04:16:14 AM

You don't have to worry about the violent criminals, unless you're a violent criminal yourself. They attack each others, rarely anybody else.

I don't think we live in the same reality.

This is the case in most of the EU.

August 19, 2012, 04:15:04 AM

You don't have to worry about the violent criminals, unless you're a violent criminal yourself. They attack each others, rarely anybody else.

This is the case in most of the EU.
August 19, 2012, 03:41:53 AM

August 19, 2012, 03:37:49 AM

You don't have to worry about the violent criminals, unless you're a violent criminal yourself. They attack each others, rarely anybody else. Other people are collateral damage. The people you need to worry about are your neighbors.  Peaceful, law-abiding citizens that at one time might combine the wrong medication with alcohol and become psychotic. You have a better chance of defending yourself if both carry something else than a gun, and the effects are often less tragic.
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
August 18, 2012, 06:48:35 PM

Is that the same logic that you used before? "If we arm everybody and put them in a violent society, there will be peace"?
Did you know that in the UK most police doesn't carry a gun? And while they have slightly higher crime rates, they have fewer homicides by gun, or gun crimes overall. And carrying a gun has a stiff penalty attached. Someone mentioned in another thread that incentives work. Indeed they do.

I don't fear peaceful people. Never have. I do however want it to be damn hard for someone intoxicated, psychotic or otherwise mentally unhinged to get access to a gun. People do go bat-shit crazy sometimes, even for short periods of time. Drugs, desperation, something else, it does happen.

The UK is a criminals' utopia. As a criminal, not only can you murder, rape, maim, and commit all lesser crimes with effective impunity, but if your victims defend themselves with absolutely reasonable force or even lesser force, THEY go to prison.
August 18, 2012, 06:05:26 PM
someone bat-shit crazy is more likely to get a gun if guns are criminal, criminals don't do mental health checks
August 18, 2012, 06:00:42 PM

August 18, 2012, 05:54:23 PM

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
August 18, 2012, 03:33:53 PM
gun control works only for honest people ...

Bad guys still get theys weapons ...

as a bad guy I would vote for gun control ...

I'm honest ... and vote against any gun control .

Replace gun control with, "marijuana prohibition",  "internet filter", "DRM" the bad guys will still be doing bad things, and the honest people will be limited

At a certain point the line between good and bad will be so blurred the government will have us all locked in work camps (Maybe biden wasn't being racist, maybe they are going to put y'all back in chains, all y'all) .... Being unarmed is only going to help.

So very true, and this is the way the U.S.A is moving sadly.
August 18, 2012, 02:32:51 PM

Replace gun control with, "marijuana prohibition",  "internet filter", "DRM" the bad guys will still be doing bad things, and the honest people will be limited

At a certain point the line between good and bad will be so blurred the government will have us all locked in work camps (Maybe biden wasn't being racist, maybe they are going to put y'all back in chains, all y'all) .... Being unarmed is only going to help.
Activity: 103
Merit: 10
August 18, 2012, 01:12:23 PM

August 18, 2012, 01:09:25 PM
Of course, I had not considered that there might be police officers or ex-police officers responding.

I find this statement funny as well. I don't think you really know who's responding.

I know I responded. That's the only person who I know has responded. I don't even know if you have. Honestly, I don't care.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
August 18, 2012, 12:48:24 PM
Of course, I had not considered that there might be police officers or ex-police officers responding.

I find this statement funny as well. I don't think you really know who's responding.
August 18, 2012, 12:25:14 PM
That's interesting. Someone voted yes. I'd be very interested in hearing the story there.

I find this statement to be funny.

Oh yes, quite humorous that I would wonder why a gun control advocate would have a gun.

Pages:
Jump to: