Author

Topic: [POOL][Scrypt][Scrypt-N][X11] Profit switching pool - wafflepool.com - page 207. (Read 465668 times)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500
This is less complexity than all of the yammering for sub 1 difficulty coins and vardiff. This feature request does not affect mining in anyway, and any database that can't handle a few additional fields per record is junk anyway. The only complexity is additional work for WP (which I admit would not be insignificant).

Must say I'm surprised by the negative response to this. Perhaps more posts complaining about vardiff, payouts, asics, BTC/MH, or stats would be preferred? Maybe I'll just go look for answers on the last couple pages and post questions as if I hadn't seen them.
Do you not see how complicated it would be to implement?  WP has no login system, so how do would you confirm what coins you want to not trade?

WP has better stuff to work on, IMO.  If you want altcoins, go mine them or buy them with BTC.  If you want the best profits, paid in BTC, mine here.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
As to the suggestion to allow holding of some alt-coins. I think it would be unnecessary complexity to the whole system.  More book keeping etc for the pool.

IF you want to collect some alt-coins "just in case" then take your btc from WP and go buy whatever you wish to hold.  Sure you have to pay a transaction fee but that is probably minimal in the big picture.

This is less complexity than all of the yammering for sub 1 difficulty coins and vardiff. This feature request does not affect mining in anyway, and any database that can't handle a few additional fields per record is junk anyway. The only complexity is additional work for WP (which I admit would not be insignificant).

Must say I'm surprised by the negative response to this. Perhaps more posts complaining about vardiff, payouts, asics, BTC/MH, or stats would be preferred? Maybe I'll just go look for answers on the last couple pages and post questions as if I hadn't seen them.
poolwaffle, I know you said you're for a few days, but please check what's going on with the pool as of now. Today's average is a historically low, at only 0.0064 BTC/MH. Sure it could just be bad luck, but this is too big of a dip for just luck I think.
We mine auroracoin which has high difficulty, and didn't find any block.

That and he's looking at a partial day, which just recently kicked over.
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
poolwaffle, I know you said you're for a few days, but please check what's going on with the pool as of now. Today's average is a historically low, at only 0.0064 BTC/MH. Sure it could just be bad luck, but this is too big of a dip for just luck I think.
We mine auroracoin which has high difficulty, and didn't find any block.
legendary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1002
Activity: 5
I agree getting the good btc for waffle and then buying coins on an exchange especially when the price drops. You may actually get more coins than mining them directly due to the good hash rate and efficiency of waffle pool especially the low 1% fee. This has worked a treat for me on mint coin.

Cheers
Activity: 15
As to the suggestion to allow holding of some alt-coins. I think it would be unnecessary complexity to the whole system.  More book keeping etc for the pool.

IF you want to collect some alt-coins "just in case" then take your btc from WP and go buy whatever you wish to hold.  Sure you have to pay a transaction fee but that is probably minimal in the big picture.
First post in the thread, and I want to say that poolwaffle has done an awesome job.

That said... one thing I'd really like to see is the ability to hold a particular coin/not exchange it for BTC, and still trade everything else. Right now I have to switch back and forth between wafflepool and another pool (about every 3-4 days) so I can mine and save some altcoins, while the majority of time is spent on wafflepool converting everything to BTC. That allows me to hedge againt price changes over the long run, while bringing in a profit over the short run.

I can sort of get it to work with multipool, but nothing gives me mining results as good as wafflepool. I'd love to only use the one pool and never switch, especially one this reliable.

Why don't you just add the other pools as balanced mining or quota mining in cgminer? It's simple to setup. You could send 90% to waffle and the other 10 could bounce to your other pools so you are building some coin inventory.

I've had issues with --load-balance on both cgminer and bfgminer. I've never gotten either to run with less than a 10% loss in hash rate. Using minepeon to proxy for cubes/blades as well as using CryptoSlax and SMOS for GPU mining. I have not tried running on Windows, but that is not an option for me.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
First post in the thread, and I want to say that poolwaffle has done an awesome job.

That said... one thing I'd really like to see is the ability to hold a particular coin/not exchange it for BTC, and still trade everything else. Right now I have to switch back and forth between wafflepool and another pool (about every 3-4 days) so I can mine and save some altcoins, while the majority of time is spent on wafflepool converting everything to BTC. That allows me to hedge againt price changes over the long run, while bringing in a profit over the short run.

I can sort of get it to work with multipool, but nothing gives me mining results as good as wafflepool. I'd love to only use the one pool and never switch, especially one this reliable.

Why don't you just add the other pools as balanced mining or quota mining in cgminer? It's simple to setup. You could send 90% to waffle and the other 10 could bounce to your other pools so you are building some coin inventory.

So you want everyone to get stuck with these unexchanged coins just because you want to hold on to some of them? If you want to keep some of the alt coins, mine them on your own or join a pool specifically for that. Then you can do whatever you want with them.

He's not asking for a pool wide implementation, but a user definable option. Nobody gets stuck with anything. This is one of the features I like at Hashcows.
legendary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

So you want everyone to get stuck with these unexchanged coins just because you want to hold on to some of them? If you want to keep some of the alt coins, mine them on your own or join a pool specifically for that. Then you can do whatever you want with them.
Activity: 322
Merit: 254
I just want to say two things.

First, thanks poolwaffle for the great pool. It's reliable and simple to setup and use. Unlike another profit-switching pool, there are no worries about crazy high rejects that no one can really fix. I'm getting 0.3-0.8% here... nice.

Second, this thread is very informative and the folks here seem to honestly want to help each other. I've seen some threads for other pools where the more experienced members seem to enjoy flaming the new guys looking for help. Not so here, thanks for that.   Smiley

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm here working hard to make sure everything goes smoothly.  Things happen (delayed withdrawals, huge spikes in hashrate, bad days, etc), but overall, people obviously like the pool, so something is going right.  I'll keep doing my part, you guys keep mining Smiley
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
I just want to say two things.

First, thanks poolwaffle for the great pool. It's reliable and simple to setup and use. Unlike another profit-switching pool, there are no worries about crazy high rejects that no one can really fix. I'm getting 0.3-0.8% here... nice.

Second, this thread is very informative and the folks here seem to honestly want to help each other. I've seen some threads for other pools where the more experienced members seem to enjoy flaming the new guys looking for help. Not so here, thanks for that.   Smiley

I like this idea with a minor variant: specify a percentage of coins to hold back. IE: when WP is mining mooncoin, then hold back 10%, when mining doge, hold back 25% etc.

It's not like poolwaffle has anything else on his plate Wink

This is probably a far-in-the-future feature tho and I'm fine without it. WP is amazing right now.

Interesting idea. Not sure I'd use the percentage feature, but I would be tempted to have a few coins paid out directly rather than converted to BTC.
Activity: 31

I like this idea with a minor variant: specify a percentage of coins to hold back. IE: when WP is mining mooncoin, then hold back 10%, when mining doge, hold back 25% etc.

It's not like poolwaffle has anything else on his plate Wink

This is probably a far-in-the-future feature tho and I'm fine without it. WP is amazing right now.

Activity: 788
Merit: 505

Activity: 322
Merit: 254
ok.. so I have a question about the minimum 512 difficulty on stratum... 

How does that affect things when we are mining a coin with below 512 difficulty?  For example, lets say we are mining Xcoin with a current difficulty of 400.  I find a hash with difficulty 450, but it doesn't get sent cuz stratum is only sending 512+.   Does that mean the pool just missed out on finding a block?

I'm hoping this is just a case of Difficulty does not exactly correlate to difficulty.. 

You are correct, they are two very different measures.  A difficulty 1 coin has an average number of hashes to solve of 2^32 (4.3 million).  A share difficulty of 1 (which you wouldn't submit, since our minimum is 512) has an average number of hashes of 2^16 (65k).  They're just orders of magnitude different.  I'm honestly not sure why the same descriptive word was originally chosen for both, but it was Smiley

As a point of comparison,
Does anyone know what the BTC/Mhash rate is if one were to mine only LTC and immediately convert?

Right now (~3600 difficulty), you're looking at 0.00596, at perfect efficiency (no orphans, perfect luck, etc).
Activity: 381
Merit: 250
As a point of comparison,

Does anyone know what the BTC/Mhash rate is if one were to mine only LTC and immediately convert?

thanks again,
Sigg
Activity: 140
Bored
Confirming for Hashcows. Been mining a few days there already, and it says I only have 0.00171077BTC, with 830KH/s.
Going back to waffle for now.

How many days ?
2 days, give or take 36 hours (12 hours wasted preparing for GPUcoin).
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
Quote from: siggy link=topic=433634.msg5484299#msg5484299 date=1393862593?
I'm hoping this is just a case of Difficulty does not exactly correlate to difficulty..
[/quote
It is. For some reason, cgminer uses a 'human friendly' difficulty number. The actual share difficulty required to find a block is much higher. If you use sgminer, it shows network difficulty in terms of share (real) difficulty.
Jump to: