Author

Topic: [POT]PotCoin - Banking for the Legal Cannabis Industry ✦ ✦ ✦Grow With Us ✦ ✦ ✦ - page 197. (Read 920105 times)

legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1126

Hey guys! I've moved POT off this pool and into my new BTC paying Multipool.  POT is currently being mined on scrypt. Would love some more testers as I've got no fee's during this period. Here are the details:

xpool - BTC Multipool
http://www.xpool.ca

Son of a bitch...nice web site but couldn't you have found a different domain name to use?

You may not know it but xpool.net has been operational for over a year :/

I didn't even know.... I went with xpool for the X factor... multipool auto eXchange... and I live in canada Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002
HODL for life.
That is a great idea! I really like that, make it so you can donate if you want to, and leave the amount up to the user. The law of averages says it should work out to be the same in the long run Wink

The smarter option, which I mentioned, is creating a charity pool or using ASICs to mine these charity coins.  Both help secure the blockchain and add to the stability of the coin without taxing the average user.

-Fuse
Activity: 767
Merit: 500
When we updated the last version the creator of the coin wanted to add in the possibility of having a % taken for something if we ever needed it or if the community wanted to use to raise money for charity or maybe people who cant afford their medication. You can clearly see its commented out and is not being used.

We at first wanted to raise money for research and charity but we never implemented it and now we have in the chance we use it one day.

Why not simply have made it a feature within the wallet where the user could specify a percentage, a destination address, and an 'opt-in' switch?

That is a great idea! I really like that, make it so you can donate if you want to, and leave the amount up to the user. The law of averages says it should work out to be the same in the long run Wink
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
The Potcoin Dev team has answered on this on the PotcoinJoint Community. You can read it here...

http://www.potcoinjoint.com/forum/potcoin-talk/potcoin-project-development/290-this-could-do-with-a-prompt-developer-reply-please

Please take a moment to signup to the PotcoinJoint community which is now the official Potcoin Community and discuss all aspects of Potcoin.

You can read about it here: http://www.potcoin.com/media/community/

Cheers !
Activity: 658
Potcoin is going to do amazing things glad I can be apart of it have been silent on here but very vocal on twitter @needacoin   

Plants take time with a little light we grow Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

Hey guys! I've moved POT off this pool and into my new BTC paying Multipool.  POT is currently being mined on scrypt. Would love some more testers as I've got no fee's during this period. Here are the details:

xpool - BTC Multipool
http://www.xpool.ca

Son of a bitch...nice web site but couldn't you have found a different domain name to use?

You may not know it but xpool.net has been operational for over a year :/
legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1126
Come get your POT!

We've upgraded our wallets to 0.8.6.4!

http://www.hasher.ca

PROP reward system
Worker Stats
DDoS Protected
High Performance Backend
Simple setup and usage
ProfitPorts (beta testing now)

To mine:

Username: your POT wallet address OR your generated Public Key
Password: anything
URL (vardiff): stratum+tcp://stratum.hasher.ca:3544

POT go straight to your wallet once the block is confirmed. We don't hold your POT!

Cheers and Happy Hashing!

Hey guys! I've moved POT off this pool and into my new BTC paying Multipool.  POT is currently being mined on scrypt. Would love some more testers as I've got no fee's during this period. Here are the details:

xpool - BTC Multipool

PROP reward system
Scrypt & SHA256 Algo's
DDoS Protected
High Performance Backend
Simple setup and usage
0% Fees while in BETA
To mine:
Cheers and Happy Hashing!
legendary
HODL for life.
Viceroy, thanks for clearing that up, mate.

Cheers.
Activity: 924
Merit: 501
Viceroy, are you part of the dev team?  I'm just wondering why the only reasonable explanation for the origin of the code is coming from you rather than the dev team.  If you are, thanks for clarifying at least some of this mystery.

I am not part of the Potcoin Dev Team.  I work with the wallet developer who is a third party paid consultant.

However, to a skeptic like myself, adding bits of code like this during major code changes is like hiding laws in bills in the senate.  Everyone is so preoccupied with the major changes of digishield and halving that they didn't notice the precursor to a network wide tax.

Another point that kind of rubs me the wrong way though is your comment about the third party windows compilation.  Who compiles the windows client?  Is the dev team not capable of compiling a windows client internally?

-Fuse

Again, I'm not part of the Potcoin Dev Team and I know the Windows Wallet was not compiled at our facilities, only the *nix  versions.

legendary
HODL for life.
...Soooo... basically it's a forced tribute from all potcoin users worldwide, to XYZ beneficiary whenever the 'owner' decided to flip the switch?

Why not comment in there what its future use was?

Why not add this into the git comments/explanation?

Why not simply have made it a feature within the wallet where the user could specify a percentage, a destination address, and an 'opt-in' switch?

Instead, this was slid under the door.

Not to mention, there's no easy way for folks to tell if their windows wallet has it disabled. Which is why I encourage people to check the CRC values against compiling from git source. If the CRC values vary, then there's going to be a lot of explaining to do.

I will say that there is an additional 40-50 lines of code that is in the leafcoin source that actually implements this change.  I did not see it in the POT source, so I'm pretty sure this code change was the precursor to adding the rest of the code.

Mind you, that could be added to the windows wallet source as well, but I'm pretty sure people would notice the 2% missing from their locally mined blocks.

However, fuck the tax.  If Potcoin wants to donate to research or charity, then start buying up ASIC gear, run an official 5% fee charity pool, and do things internally.  I came to crypto to get away from taxes, not pay into them.

-Fuse
legendary
HODL for life.
we plan to raise money for this from the community and also match all donations.

we are working on all of our new branding that will be ready soon for a big advertising push.

New branding, or updating the existing branding?  Can we stick with something?

When we updated the last version the creator of the coin wanted to add in the possibility of having a % taken for something if we ever needed it or if the community wanted to use to raise money for charity or maybe people who cant afford their medication. You can clearly see its commented out and is not being used.

We at first wanted to raise money for research and charity but we never implemented it and now we have in the chance we use it one day.

If I want to donate to charity or research, I would donate to charity or research on my own.  You imposing a 2% tax on the coin is just that, a tax.  And yes, I can see that it was commented out in the code, as I pointed out.  It doesn't change the fact that it was never mentioned, and it appeared like an attempt to sneak it in without informing the community.

And you talk about the creator of the coin.  Who does what around here?  Can we get a list of who does what?  Something like this:

https://guldencoin.com/who-we-are/

And for the love of god, can you please clearly list places that accept POT on the website?  This has been asked numerous times before.

On a positive note... kudos on finally having a clear and concise media kit that can be given out.

-Fuse
Activity: 616

...Soooo... basically it's a forced tribute from all potcoin users worldwide, to XYZ beneficiary whenever the 'owner' decided to flip the switch?

Why not comment in there what its future use was?

Why not add this into the git comments/explanation?

Instead, this was slid under the door.

Not to mention, there's no easy way for folks to tell if their windows wallet has it disabled. Which is why I encourage people to check the CRC values against compiling from git source. If the CRC values vary, then there's going to be a lot of explaining to do.
Activity: 19

we plan to raise money for this from the community and also match all donations.

we are working on all of our new branding that will be ready soon for a big advertising push.

Thats great to know I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we cant wait to get this advertising ball rolling.

Also congratulations on the new website...

But it sux

Not because of its content or layout or anything like that. It sux because of the information it does not contain. Potcoins priorities are clearly layed out on the landing page of potcoin.com and the obvious number 1 priority is nowhere to be seen.

You don't need me to tell you that Potcoin is unlike any other crypto out there. A crypto with a built in demographic numbering in the hundreds of millions.

The vast majority of these people have no idea what a cryptocurrency is nor do they care at this moment in time.

For this reason the number 1 priority of potcoin should be securing those potential new users IMO.

The landing page of potcoin should have a video smack bang in the middle detailing how to get potcoins. A service where fiat can be exchanged directly for potcoin would be ideal but until that happens a detailed instructional vid or series is absolutely needed. 

The flowchart of a potential new user is like this at the moment;

Hears about a currency specifically for pot > googles it > lands on potcoin.com > looks around and leaves...

It needs to be;

Hears about a currency specifically for pot > googles it > lands on potcoin.com > an easy to understand detailed video is watched...

In the first example the potential new user has to first have the time and inclination to wonder what exactly a cryptocurrency is and also be motivated to pursue it further.

The second example where the potential new user can easily see a video and hopefully get an understanding of cryptocurrency and potcoin is much better. They will be far more likely to pursue potcoin further even if just for the novelty of having potcoin.

Personally THE only reason I got into crypto's was to buy potcoin. When I buy bitcoins I don't care where they are accepted I just want to get my hands on potcoin. Luckily for me I have the knowledge and ability to make it happen. The vast majority of potential new users will NOT!

They land on potcoin.com and see "invest in cannabis" boom up go the red flags and they are out of there!!! 100% guaranteed. 

People want potcoin and they are willing to thow their cash at you to get some as fast as possible even if they don't fully understand it or know how to use it.

For Gods sake make it easy for them. Words like "invest" are threatening to a lot of people and you are instantly driving them away.

The relationship between language and psychology is extremely complex. The word "invest" is attaching negatives negative connotations to Potcoin. The opposite of what your landing page should be doing!
Activity: 335
Merit: 251
Potcoin launches their new website
BIGGER, BETTER, STRONGER.
We Grow Together!

http://www.potcoin.com/
Potcoin,

I'm a bit concerned over the following code that was added to the source in the main.h file, and I wanted to see why it was added in the first place.  Also, can someone confirm that this code wasn't included in the windows build of the wallet? [snip]

-Fuse
[snip]
Either way, i am anxious to hear about this from the devs. I like the watchman vigilance thing, gotta keep them eyes peeled! Thanks Fuse!

The foundation fee is not specific to potcoin, it has always been the developers intent to implement that function with particular licensed partners of the wallet program.  In such an activation event the "Foundation", who is a registered non-profit, gets a licensing fee to maintain the software.  That is why the code exists.  It is not nefarious but an intended feature of the wallet program.  It's a holdover from the original bitcoin wallet.

And NO on the windows version, the potcoin wallet devs don't do winblows.  That windows version was compiled by another party.  

For what it's worth it should be easy to test if some percent is disappearing from the wallet and someone would have noticed a 2% fee long ago.  (Though few would notice a few missing satoshi).

RIP overgrow  Cry

Potcoin needs more of a presence on all the major cannabis forums

A banner add saying "Does your seed vendor or dispensary accept Potcoin? Ask them today!"

ICMAG gets 50000 hits a day! Why isn't potcoin advertised there?

An add banner on ozstoners $510 AUD yearly. 37760 Total Members and right now 131 visitors to the page...

thctalk.com Average visits to this page: Hourly: 173.90 Daily: 4,173.55 Weekly: 29,214.83 Monthly: 126,945.37 Yearly: 1,523,344.47

Cannabis.com Statistics

Threads: 171,972 Posts: 1,976,248 Members: 199,549
There are currently 4825 users online. 10 members and 4815 guests

grasscity.com 18,133,826 Total Posts
 553,501 Total Members  
 23,614 Most Online

and the countless other forums...

A few well placed adds could get hundreds of thousands of people talking about potcoin in no time flat!

legendary
HODL for life.
Slipped in the code without a word from them about it while everybody was worrying about the halving

Even if it all ends up being some silly oversight, that's how I see it.  Add a little at a time to sneak it through... just like politicians.

A quick search in the repo on github didn't turn up any other traces of those variables.  So if the dev team decides to stay silent about this, I would strongly advise that people thoroughly read through future github commits.

I'm still really disappointed that they haven't made a comment about this yet.  I swear to shit, if I need to go to Reddit to get a response, I'm going to have an aneurysm.

-Fuse

EDIT:

Thanks to Jahmoke and IronHammer5 for bringing this up on Reddit... still no response there from the devs.  I'm guessing they're trying to figure out a stopgap before they comment.  Link to Reddit post here for reference:

http://www.reddit.com/r/potcoin/comments/27ytg5/is_it_correct_that_recently_a_2_fee_code_was/
Activity: 658
Merit: 504
Edit: Shoulda read more before opening my yap. But yeah, so was this put in there by potcoin or is it just in the source the potcoin wallet was built on? No matter how you look at it, the devs need to speak up on it.

It was put in on the first commit that mentioned digishield on May 19th.  It was added to the code with a valid POT address here:

https://github.com/potcoin/potcoin/commit/d32925a06e09debc97f3ee2a7a00ae4a7e95bf57

And then commented out here on the same day:

https://github.com/potcoin/potcoin/commit/47a188fc7d4bed8a497b692c9ffb1def80de0a86

-Fuse

Slipped in the code without a word from them about it while everybody was worrying about the halving
Activity: 29
Dean,

I am chill.  The success or failure of POT is not going to affect me long term.  I'm invested in it, and have been since the beginning, but I'm not going to be a millionaire or lose my home if it shifts either way.

That being said, I want it to succeed.  I think anyone in this thread can agree with that desire.

However, I'm not seeing results.  I think a lot of people, yourself included, are blinded by the agenda.  Saying that POT is this great and powerful entity that is doing all these amazing things is kind of off-based.  The whole "never been done before" mantra that keeps popping up is driving me nuts.  People are right, it's never been done... and it still hasn't been done.  Until there are quantifiable results that exceed the hype, I'm going to play the pessimist card.  The business plan, or lack thereof(which you agree with), is the most troubling.  Why is there still not a list of merchants that accept POT?  I don't even know what the hell I can spend POT on.  If I come to this thread for instance, and I've never seen POT before, I would think it was a pump and dump coin.  Lots of pools and exchanges listed, but no mention of what services accept it.  How many people here know that Amagi Metals takes POT as a payment?  The only reason I know is because I frequent their site.  From an outsider's perspective, there is no clear thinking evident here... maybe too much smoke in the air.

You ask why it's an issue that they collect more money via the fee when they already have the 588k POT in the wallet.  I don't think they should be paid if they aren't producing results.  Apple has billions because they sell billions.  As much as I loathe Apple marketing and products, they earned that money.  If POT becomes extremely successful, I will donate to the dev team again.  Them telling me I have to donate via a 2% fee is a whole other story.  That I have a problem with.

Mate, my angst isn't towards you.  I'm just getting tired of the fluff.  To me the your post just seemed disjointed.  If that was your intention, as you pointed out, then I apologize for the point by point breakdown.

-Fuse

Cool Brother ... I get it.    There has been a lot of fluff.  In one of the very first things I wrote here, I pleaded for communication and transparency.  That is still lacking and needed.

legendary
HODL for life.
Edit: Shoulda read more before opening my yap. But yeah, so was this put in there by potcoin or is it just in the source the potcoin wallet was built on? No matter how you look at it, the devs need to speak up on it.

It was put in on the first commit that mentioned digishield on May 19th.  It was added to the code with a valid POT address here:

https://github.com/potcoin/potcoin/commit/d32925a06e09debc97f3ee2a7a00ae4a7e95bf57

And then commented out here on the same day:

https://github.com/potcoin/potcoin/commit/47a188fc7d4bed8a497b692c9ffb1def80de0a86

-Fuse
Jump to: