Pages:
Author

Topic: Prevention is better than a cure. Please escrow. - page 16. (Read 243686 times)

Activity: 250
Merit: 250
Now more and more a liar, legerdemain more and more is also high, hope there will be less Huh
Activity: 109
Merit: 100
That is true, I invested several coins, but some of them cheat. However, we could not find reliable escrow to support.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
37iGtdUJc2xXTDkw5TQZJQX1Wb98gSLYVP
Hi i want to sell items online using BTC but i don't know how to use escrow. are there any fees that i need to pay if i am the seller?
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Thanks for the escrow list
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
Escrow is better then nothing.
Activity: 238
Escrow protects the buyer, but how does it protect the seller?  What if the buyer makes false claims of broken hardware, etc?

Please someone let me know, I am interested in selling some things and want to make sure everything will go smooth.

I am still wondering about this.  Anyone?
Man-in-the-middle is a partial solution, but there's no way to fully solve it AFAIK. The escrow provider is shipped the item from the seller, escrow provider verifies its contents and can probably test any hardware for a couple hours, and then the escrow provider ships it to the buyer. That's expensive, though, and doesn't definitively rule out electronics, in particular, getting banged up in the shipping process from the escrow provider to the buyer.

The most reasonable way to go about it is to just honor refunds like virtually every online seller on Earth. Have a brief testing window in the purchase agreement - maybe two or three days from the time it's delivered. If the buyer says it's DoA, he pays shipping back and is fully refunded what was held in escrow. The brief refund window makes the shipping costs on the buyer's side too expensive to lie about for profit, unlike 30-90 day refund windows with companies like Newegg or Tiger Direct.

Very good, thank you Smiley
Activity: 20
yes escrow is safe for both seller and buyer
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
Escrow protects the buyer, but how does it protect the seller?  What if the buyer makes false claims of broken hardware, etc?

Please someone let me know, I am interested in selling some things and want to make sure everything will go smooth.

Man-in-the-middle is a partial solution, but there's no way to fully solve it AFAIK. The escrow provider is shipped the item from the seller, escrow provider verifies its contents and can probably test any hardware for a couple hours, and then the escrow provider ships it to the buyer. That's expensive, though, and doesn't definitively rule out electronics, in particular, getting banged up in the shipping process from the escrow provider to the buyer.

The most reasonable way to go about it is to just honor refunds like virtually every online seller on Earth. Have a brief testing window in the purchase agreement - maybe two or three days from the time it's delivered. If the buyer says it's DoA, he pays shipping back and is fully refunded what was held in escrow. The brief refund window makes the shipping costs on the buyer's side too expensive to lie about for profit, unlike 30-90 day refund windows with companies like Newegg or Tiger Direct.
Activity: 54
Thanks  man for a  list of escrow services providers. That's good to use it as you can make sure there is no scam.

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
Activity: 191
No Paypal, no Western Union, No credit cards, no checks for me...ONLY escrow. I've learned my lessons
Activity: 3
Where can I find a list of escrow services providers?  Huh
Escrow protects the buyer, but how does it protect the seller?  What if the buyer makes false claims of broken hardware, etc?

Activity: 22
As a rule of thumb, NEVER pay for escrow services. Tipping someone doing it voluntarily is something different. If someone wants to be paid (usually a small amount), don't you think they'd be happy to take your "escrowed" funds as an additional form of "payment"? I say escrow ONLY w/mods or users with an extensive blemish free-trade history. I've posted somewhere else, but I will volunteer my escrow services. Do your due-diligence on me before you take me up on it though Wink

I do require a fee for more substantial trades now (50+BTC) to deal with the extended risk. An escrow that requires no fees for bigger deals is either someone who's really good(as he is effectively looking at negative ROI with the risk) or someone who will run if any problems arises. (getting hacked etc)
John Q sir,

I have an idea to do a major and neat raffle for a truck that is worth BTC30. Looking to get around 35 and give a 2 BTC for your services. Please PM if interested and I am also open to any suggestions in how to make legit and make it work. Thank you.
Activity: 819
I understand where u are coming from... but from what I can tell... about half of the newbie posts in hardware are obvious scams. It makes it tedious to even browse hardware...
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
As a mod here I don't want to intervene too much, and tell people how they should do business, and your proposed changes won't stop people from scamming and getting scammed .

In the past one had to make 4 posts and stay online for 4 hours (cumulatively) to be able to post outside the newbies' section, now it's 1 post & 4h. The 50 posts requirement to post in Marketplace wouldn't be much of a deterrent because there are plenty of people that post more than that daily, it would make more sense if it was based on Activity but I would still be against such measures as it would only stop the laziest and the most obvious scammers.

Activity: 819
Ok,

I think there needs to be some new rules established for this forum. There are way too many scams going on in the marketplace and too many new users showing up with lots of pricey hardware for sale with little or no proof that they own it.

That said, I think some simple rules and regulations for posting in classifieds would be very helpful.

1. All for sale threads MUST have atleast one picture of the physical item you are selling which includes a piece of paper with user name and date in the shot. This is required on many other forums and is a no-brainer.

2. A list of payment options posted in the very first post with it clearly stated whether escrow is accepted or not and who the preferred escrow provider would be.

Finally. Its been a while since I was a newbie but if I remember correctly. There were requirements for post counts etc. before posting in the rest of the site. I think it would be nice if these were made a little stricter for the marketplace section... something like >50 posts required.

Thanks,
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom
good advice ^

hope you are keeping well Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: