Pages:
Author

Topic: Prevention is better than a cure. Please escrow. - page 18. (Read 239205 times)

Activity: 87
Merit: 10
I see a few sigs denouncing Ripple... Im with you guys Smiley

escrow is fine, if you can trust them. The way the Govt. is hounding currency exchangers, it wont be long before escrow comes under attack... or am I missing the point?

Why would bitcoin escrow services come under attack? They do not exchange BTC into fiat, so what justification would the government use to go after them?
Activity: 61
A EvE online account.
The Escrow could be done through the website.

It would take 24 to 48 hours to compleate the character transfer.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
What kind of game account are we talking about? It would mean that the escrow party has access to the game, and can change the password.
Activity: 61
Does any service do computer game account escrow?
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225
Away on an extended break

escrow is fine, if you can trust them. The way the Govt. is hounding currency exchangers, it wont be long before escrow comes under attack... or am I missing the point?
Ya - John offers the most popular escrow service as far as I can tell, but does not live in the US, doesn't have any physical or registered businesses relating to the escrow service in the US (AFAIK), probably doesn't have US bank accounts holding customers' USD, and has no US-controlled domain they can seize. That's practically complete protection from government interference.  Cheesy

Tongue Correct - and my country of citizenship does not have a history of giving in to the old States' demands. This may change though as I may need to live in the States for a few years.  Embarrassed Oh, and I would never do fiat-based escrows, just for the record.
Need a place to crash?  Smiley

Nah, I'm fine. Cheesy Thanks for the offer though, can't wait to see other Bitcoiners over at the States!
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

Ya - John offers the most popular escrow service as far as I can tell, but does not live in the US, doesn't have any physical or registered businesses relating to the escrow service in the US (AFAIK), probably doesn't have US bank accounts holding customers' USD, and has no US-controlled domain they can seize. That's practically complete protection from government interference.  Cheesy

Tongue Correct - and my country of citizenship does not have a history of giving in to the old States' demands. This may change though as I may need to live in the States for a few years.  Embarrassed Oh, and I would never do fiat-based escrows, just for the record.
Need a place to crash?  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225
Away on an extended break

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002
Thank you so much, I been meaning make a list of all the "trusted" escrow people on the forum.

+1

Activity: 353
Merit: 250
Rimbit - No mining, just development

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003
I can easily provide a screenshot of the db tables that are stored. I will even give a trusted member access to the backend to validate I'm telling the truth.
And what prevents you from changing the system once its validated?
Activity: 29
Merit: 0

Kato, I've implemented Casascius cryptographic escrow into an easy to use web service that doesn't need any 3rd party intervention. So two people could transact between each other and handle escrows themselves without having to trust a 3rd party. I don't save the wallet addresses, payment codes, or private keys to the database. I don't want to highjack the thread just wanted to point that out.

Lol, how is that? Please enlighten us how your web service works.

Because the important part of the process is generated by the user client side. So say a buyer needs to setup an escrow, they would generate their escrow code A. Input that escrow code A into step 2 to generate a wallet address and payment code. hit complete the escrow transaction and send an email to the other party with the details of the transaction. Send another email to themselves with the escrow details. Originating user never sees the escrow code B, all we store is the two escrow codes and corresponding emails. Thats all we need it's based on a 3 key transaction to unlock the funds. Both users have 2 pieces of the puzzle (Buyer - Escrow Code A, Payment Code, Wallet Address) (Seller - Escrow Code B, Payment Code, Wallet Address) (Coinguard - Escrow Code A, Escrow Code B, Email1, Email2)

I designed the system so I can never see what the wallet address or payment code are. I knew this would be a sticking point for users and in general the safety of the site. Because if I stored everything it allow people to hack the site, and so I never can ever run with funds. I don't even know what the addresses of the wallets are, nor the private key. But that also means that if you lose a piece of the escrow I can't help you because none of that info was stored.  

I know many will be skeptical but if people don't test it out how will trust ever be established. People don't have to put btc in the test escrow account to kick the tires to see how the service works.

I can easily provide a screenshot of the db tables that are stored. I will even give a trusted member access to the backend to validate I'm telling the truth.

I would even invite casascius to try it out, and I think he would be pleasantly surprised.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata

Kato, I've implemented Casascius cryptographic escrow into an easy to use web service that doesn't need any 3rd party intervention. So two people could transact between each other and handle escrows themselves without having to trust a 3rd party. I don't save the wallet addresses, payment codes, or private keys to the database. I don't want to highjack the thread just wanted to point that out.

Lol, how is that? Please enlighten us how your web service works.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
Learn about cryptographic escrow!  Actual "How It Works" text from my escrow utility available at https://casascius.com/btcaddress-alpha.zip

How Three-Party Cryptographic Escrow Works

Escrow allows two people to transact in Bitcoin while leaving their funds visible to everybody and accessible to nobody until somebody releases them.  It allows the payer or the payee to release funds to one another, and also lets a third person decide for them if the two can't agree.  The third person never has access to take the funds, and is only needed to release the funds if the original two can't agree who gets them.  Whoever gets a copy of all three "invitations" gets access to the funds....

Casascius, the 3 party cryptographic escrow sounds like a neat solution. Who offers this service?

Activity: 560
Merit: 500
Minds are like parachutes they work best when open
Hya guys,

I have started a new escrow recently and I offering discounts to my customers for a good few weeks until the website is up. Please see the thread below, if you wish to talk live with me either PM or even chat to me in the BTC-E chatbox as I am one of the moderators on there. I am located in the Midlands, UK, and I am more than happy to meet in person for extra security and you can even have an ID proof.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/koolios-all-coin-escrow-service-1-3-fee-219412

AS THIS THREAD SUGGESTS, DON'T RISK BUYING ANYTHING WITHOUT AN ESCROW.... FOR THE FEE'S INVOLVED THIS IS A BARGAIN TO PAY FOR EXTRA SECURITY!
Activity: 448
Changing avatars is currently not possible.
+1 Very good idea to use escrow.  Probably a good percentage of the recent new users are scammers, as well as some of the non-recent users.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
Unlimited Free Crypto
2) They meet an escrow person, someone who's CANNOT to run with the amount transacted.

BTW it should be this way and not "unlikely", But for some reason no one likes 2 sig addresses!

I don't mind if it was 1 sig and John was the escrow  Roll Eyes, Yes John you got a stalker now, Deal with it  Kiss
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
You are not special.
I cant report him yet as the loan is still valid, it ends on the 6th and I would hate it if he was legit but go banned before paying back the loan lol. He has not been active since that day so I doubt he would be scamming anyone else with his account.
I thought it was due yesterday, sorry.

Hopefully he pays you back but it's not looking great. I got scammed recently too. It really sucks. Makes you lose faith in humanity.
Activity: 406
Newb/Jr's listen to this advice lol. I believe i have been scammed, I could have avoided the scam if I went with escrow. Unfortunately there are human beings out there who would rather take your money then attain enough intelligence to make their own money.
Report him to the scammers thread. I was following your transaction because I almost sent the guy money too.

I believe his friend on the board is controlled by him too so I'd recommend reporting him too just so he can't use that account to scam someone else.

I cant report him yet as the loan is still valid, it ends on the 6th and I would hate it if he was legit but go banned before paying back the loan lol. He has not been active since that day so I doubt he would be scamming anyone else with his account.
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
You are not special.
Newb/Jr's listen to this advice lol. I believe i have been scammed, I could have avoided the scam if I went with escrow. Unfortunately there are human beings out there who would rather take your money then attain enough intelligence to make their own money.
Report him to the scammers thread. I was following your transaction because I almost sent the guy money too.

I believe his friend on the board is controlled by him too so I'd recommend reporting him too just so he can't use that account to scam someone else.
Pages:
Jump to: