Pages:
Author

Topic: Prevention is better than a cure. Please escrow. - page 17. (Read 243569 times)

Activity: 97
Merit: 10
i think people should have the details of any escrow service such as telephone number and address and next of kin telephone number.

not necessarily people who do escrow have to give out sensitive information but people should be advised only to use those who do

after all those people are holding our money.

see here (i am not affiliated and not promoting)  maidek offers escrow  see here   https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/escrow-by-maidakreg-2011-1-fee-icoipocontestscampaigns-247-service-133985  with phone number and his ebay details  which is a start.

i am only reporting this after seeing john k disappear for over a month without leaving a trace behind him and he was the biggest one.  he was always honest and was a college student but anyone who had money by him is now stuck with no contact.

see here and further posts  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4275680

just my 0.2BTC

if anyone finds anything wrong with this post pls contact and i can edit or remove it
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
I agreed  about using escrow thank you for share.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Escrow is very well and good but you are still putting trust in other people who may have a difference of opinion to the seller in terms of a dispute.

I firmly believe that buyers should be responsible for doing all the due diligence that they see fit before sending payment for any goods or services, common sense, above all else, should tell you if you're going to be ripped off or not.

If someone wants to sell something it is the buyers prerogative to make absolutely sure that the seller is genuine - of course it has hard to be certain that newer members are 100% legitimate - if you have doubt don't deal with them. Using an escrow service is fine, but I don't believe it is the future, especially for online retailers as they are not likely to accept BTC if escrow is required, it's simply too time consuming.

If a brand new member claims to have 1000 BTC and wants to sell, without even offering proof of wallet ownership - don't bother asking for escrow - it's simply a scam, move on. But if someone is trying to sell a small amount of BTC from a long time account and you are interested, it is for the buyer to meet the sellers terms if they choose to respond to the advert. The buyer after all did not advertise 'Selling $100 for 0.15 BTC, message if interested'.

I hate scams as much as anyone else, it's awful for people to contemplate stealing someone else's BTC or anything else for that matter. But if I want to sell something - you meet my terms. Just as if I want to buy something from you I would expect to meet your terms. I think only this way is the future for BTC. Use care and common sense and you should be OK.

Activity: 126
Time is Money !!
How to find best escrow.. ??
Activity: 191
Merit: 110
How does one become an escrow "agent"?  I wouldn't mind help facilitating a sale or be the middle man in a sale.  I've never offered it before but I'd have to start from somewhere.  I'll do it for free.. no donations required either.. I just wanna' learn.
copper member
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032
Is John K around.  Ishe trusted still!???.

BTC CRow.      Anyone use it. Experience

1) yes, Tho very busy.

2) I have used it, I have found it a good experience, The operator was helpful, If you use it, You will get e-mails every step of the way, Be careful not to click on the link to release funds! this is a one way deal, Watch your e-mail account, Some people do a deal, then hack your e-mail to release the funds!
Activity: 208
Merit: 10
Is John K around.  Ishe trusted still!???.

BTC CRow.      Anyone use it. Experience
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
When John K was busy, I got more contracts. Then he finally settled in, and the contracts dried up. So if he gets too many, escrow will become decentralized. Don't worry about it.

He deservedly has the highest fees now.
copper member
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032
There is an escrow whitelist / blacklist compiled here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/list-bitcointalks-escrow-providers-ranking-blacklist-avoid-scam-276897

John K is of course in the top spot. (And yay!, I'm next.)
Kluge, the evil mastermind, took it from you. Wink
I will never use Kluge for escrow again. Everyone got paid in the end, but he was extremely unprofessional, and dishonest.

I video all my parcels, sign for them, take them in and open and inspect it, I even set it up in ONE take if necessary, This has helped me out more than once.

I'm sorta relieved i'm not on this other whitelist/blacklist thing, I am happy doing escrows on the quiet.

I would like to ask the community, EVERYONE is using johnK, Not saying this is a bad thing, He's a sound person and I have had good dealings with him, But the list of reputable escrows are still very slim, Do you think this is going to get too much for one person? Is this how we run a decentralized community?
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/list-bitcointalks-escrow-providers-ranking-blacklist-avoid-scam-276897

I will never use Kluge for escrow again. Everyone got paid in the end, but he was extremely unprofessional, and dishonest.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

Dabs should be there, but the trust system is still fairly new, and kind of wonky. Using defaulttrust to proclaim some objective trustworthiness rating is sketchy.

ETA: What crazyates posted below is true, and I have no defense against it.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

Activity: 154
Johnny Bitcoinseed
That crypto exchange is mathematically cool. Say Alice sold Bob plasma tv. She got proof of postage. Bob claims he got cardboard sheets in the box instead of TV. What is Eddie going to do?  Goods and services' indisputable proof of completed transaction is not there Cheesy I say use common sense. If its normally looking internet shop, with paypal, etc they are unlikely to scam you out of say 50 usd worth of btc Cheesy If its gumtree of Craigslist ad you might want to ask seller to confirm his id via Facebook Smiley And if seller wishes to remain anon well then otc web of trust or SR feedback Smiley

You're spot on.  The "you sent me an empty package" scam is common.  I know because I've sent out tens of thousands of packages in my business and there are customers who probably never pay for anything they order online.

What we do is carefully weigh every order before packaging it up.  That way they cannot claim the package was shipped empty or with missing items etc.  Well, they do sometimes try but at least we know for a fact it didn't happen.

In defense of some customers, it could be a little brother or other household member gets to the package first and removes stuff before the real owner knows the package has arrived.  This is actually quite common.

We really need a customer rating system too so that merchants can avoid them.

As you mention, a company selling hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stuff every year is likely not going to try and scam you out of fifty bucks.  Doesn't make sense, just too small of an amount for them to risk losing the confidence of potential customers.
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
Unlimited Free Crypto
well how can you know if you can trust the escrow service though :/

You cannot trust them "absolutely". But again you cannot trust anything "absolutely". You have to "relatively" trust them. For myself I follow these guidelines:

1- Never scale up escrow trusted amounts: (If the community trusted this escrow with 100-200BTC in the past, Don't go ahead with 1000+BTC deals with this escrow -_-!)

2- Never do any transactions in private (Self explanatory)

3- Have everything cryptographically signed by a known key for the escrow (Self explanatory)

I hope this helps.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
well how can you know if you can trust the escrow service though :/
Activity: 182
I am looking for small (tiny!) transactions to act as an Escrow Provider for to build trust in the community.

I posted more details here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=264799.new#new
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
Many people are worried about getting scammed, but are all the escrow services trustworthy?

If escrow is the solution to reduce scamming, can we be sure escrow services are legit?  Are there any escrow services to avoid? Any ones that are widely recommended?
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
A EvE online account.
The Escrow could be done through the website.

It would take 24 to 48 hours to compleate the character transfer.

As long as I don't have to download a 1 gigabyte client or 100 gigabytes of game data, I can do it. I used to play some MMORPGs and they used to require huge downloads, game updates, etc.
Pages:
Jump to: