Pages:
Author

Topic: Progress? We're waiting... - page 3. (Read 3580 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
April 04, 2022, 02:43:00 AM
So does the latest version of SMF (the software currently being used here)...
It seems that you're right [source], but considering the fact that the current forum software [SMF 1.1.19] has been heavily modified, I'm assuming it'd take an equal amount of time [or more] to modify the latest version; hence, it made sense to opt for Epochtalk!
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
April 03, 2022, 07:08:32 PM
I read about the plans with the new software Epochtalk.
I acutally created a mobile phone friendly bitcoin Forum
It's worth noting that Epochtalk actually has a responsive design [mobile-friendly] and you can even try it from "here".

So does the latest version of SMF (the software currently being used here)...
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134
₿uy / $ell
February 14, 2022, 09:35:19 AM
There are already BTCBTCBTC invested, and there is already a product coming to a final phase, it's all about testing and bug hunting.
Why derailing already build platform with WordPress?

WordPress is so widely used because it's intuitive, no need a programming background to run one and there are hundreds of thousands different themes and add-ons free and paid which make everything finished with a few clicks. I also ran a website sometime ago based on WP, I know exactly how it is.

I do not doubt the tech background of our admins are way above this click-and-run strategy most of the ppl choose to, do because it's easier.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1344
February 12, 2022, 05:12:28 PM
Wordpress is much worse for security and it's much easier to hack, so I would never run a forum like this.

It's more accurate to say Wordpress is not secure enough by default. There's good reason why Wordpress is most popular option for blogging/personal website.

WordPress is used by 65.3% of all the websites whose content management system we know. This is 43.3% of all websites.

And besides, I do not think WordPres can serve as a serious forum platform, since it was not designed for that purpose. There is no way it could successfully run a forum of this magnitude such as bitcointalk. It may be the most popular content management platform for simple websites, but forums are quite another story.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 11, 2022, 06:52:47 AM
It's worth noting that Epochtalk actually has a responsive design [mobile-friendly] and you can even try it from "here".

it just looks better an all mobile devices. Let me know what you think. Smiley
Although it looks okay [ish], the main focus should be on creating a secure/bulletproof forum and by the looks of things, that's not the case...
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 7049
SATOCHIP.io
February 11, 2022, 06:43:55 AM
You didn't create anything, you just used a wordpress theme (probably free version) called Cryptocurrency Exchange that is made by awplife and this has nothing to do with bitcointalk forum.
I also identified what plugins you are using with wpthemedetector, it's BuddyPress, wpForo Forum, Akismet Spam Protection and Shield Security.
Wordpress is much worse for security and it's much easier to hack, so I would never run a forum like this.
copper member
Activity: 763
Merit: 692
Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com
February 11, 2022, 03:13:03 AM
The design is quite simple, somehow similar to this fourm and it just looks better an all mobile devices. Let me know what you think. Smiley

Looks ok, but that's because it's just a WordPress site with a forum theme, so made to look ok.
Good job, but WordPress might not be the winning solution in this case.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
February 10, 2022, 04:29:19 PM
I acutally created a mobile phone friendly bitcoin Forum on forumbitcoin.org: www.forumbitcoin.org.
The design is quite simple, somehow similar to this fourm and it just looks better an all mobile devices. Let me know what you think. Smiley
Activity: 234
Merit: 50
February 05, 2022, 04:37:50 AM
Check this thread and very your account there > https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.54403124

Thank you. I had no idea there was an (un)official Bitcointalk Discord server. I will join in and see what is currently being worked on.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134
₿uy / $ell
February 04, 2022, 08:55:06 AM
In addition to the above, there is a Discord server, of cource not an official one, as everything on Bitcointalk( but managed by one of the Admins here), where is a channel for the Epochtalk development. Not really active one, at least not lately.
There's a bot posting the last changes and revisions.
Check this thread and very your account there > https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.54403124
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 03, 2022, 01:55:10 PM
Thank you.
I see there hasn't been a lot of activity there lately. Furthermore, Cryptios, a user account created specifically for the purpose (if I understood correctly) has not been active since the original post. I wonder if that project has been abandoned completely.
You're very welcome. From the same link that I've provided the other day, you can find three of its other members and directly ask them that question [apart from the main account, all of them were online today]:

Where can I find the reported Coinbistro bugs? There have been no replies to the original thread.
- Bug-issue tracker
- Epochtalk issues [might come in handy]

I wonder why the roadmap was taken down
Perhaps they've already implemented all of those features into Epochtalk [don't quote me one that].
legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 1198
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
February 03, 2022, 10:12:05 AM
Is there a roadmap?
Epochtalk had a "roadmap" before, but at some point in 2020 [or 2021], they removed that page [you can still check some of its content from the following "archived version"].

Are there any things we, as a community, can do to help development?
Here you go:

I wonder why the roadmap was taken down it has all the functionality to create or make a forum great but to be honest I like SMF most of the forums I'm in are using SMF, although this is not the best forum software in the industry it's very comfortable posting on SMF based forum, I guess it comes to habit whatever you've used daily and makes you grow your knowledge and make money you've come to love it every bit and part of it, so I have no problem if the admin continues to use SMF for many years.

February 03, 2022, 09:57:38 AM
Here you go:

Thank you.
I see there hasn't been a lot of activity there lately. Furthermore, Cryptios, a user account created specifically for the purpose (if I understood correctly) has not been active since the original post. I wonder if that project has been abandoned completely.

Where can I find the reported Coinbistro bugs? There have been no replies to the original thread.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 01, 2022, 12:17:01 PM
Is there a roadmap?
Epochtalk had a "roadmap" before, but at some point in 2020 [or 2021], they removed that page [you can still check some of its content from the following "archived version"].

Here you go:

February 01, 2022, 09:30:40 AM
Although I've been reading about the new forum software since before I signed up (at the time I naively thought the update was just around the corner and it would be available soon, so I was postponing my registration), I now understand that the situation isn't quite as simple as it seems.

I have a few questions, but I don't know where to ask them. How much still needs to be done before switching to the new software? Is there a roadmap? Are there any things we, as a community, can do to help development?
Activity: 124
Merit: 1
December 17, 2021, 06:35:04 PM

Now, it is December, 2021 and I wanna inform you that after passing 4 years Still now your post is live. That's great. I'm surprised about the forum for its real use and those who are still curious to know and find out a solution about the problem
Really? Is beta.bitcointalk.org legit the latest version? It's been 3 years and this is it? What is it being coded in... assembly?

If I remember correctly, the budget for the site was in the tens of thousands of BTC. At today's value, it'd probably be a $50MM bid. I'm thinking the admins were swindled in the bid... I think it should go back open or at least make a more open competition for the new software.

Edit: Found the source. It's freaking Javascript... that's why. Who would want that ungodly mess to manage? ew.

Edit2: https://github.com/epochtalk/epochtalk for those that can't google.
happened 4 years ago also themselves who are discussing the related issues and sharing updates about it. I found someone who is joking in some matters. Really, I just believed that no forum is too interesting then Bitcointalk.
Activity: 665
Merit: 516
Fuck BlackRock
December 14, 2021, 06:13:03 AM
- The current PHP software, while ugly and sub-optimal in many ways, performs well, especially since I have extensively modified the backend to add features and improve performance. So I don't feel much urgency.

Hopefully with security in mind. It must be very tricky to run this ancient version of SMF on a security maintained PHP branche.

I like the fact the community is teaming with users in each forum but I'm still using the same software I used to talk about baseball trading card games before I was in high school at the turn of the millennia. I also don't like alts are 2011 for the most part. I'm a necropurist.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
September 22, 2021, 07:38:16 AM
- The current PHP software, while ugly and sub-optimal in many ways, performs well, especially since I have extensively modified the backend to add features and improve performance. So I don't feel much urgency.

Hopefully with security in mind. It must be very tricky to run this ancient version of SMF on a security maintained PHP branche.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
September 21, 2021, 04:21:10 AM
I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can code AngularJS (myself included), so can't we just code it collaboratively?
Try to get in touch with "Cryptios" or just use "Coinbistro" to test and report bugs: Coinbistro.com - Epochtalk testing grounds

Why is it dragging for so long like this?
Here you go [I do know 2 years has passed since @theymos made that comment but I think, for the most part, they're still accurate]:
- I've highlighted the main parts.

• ~Snipped~
    The things blocking a transition from the current software to the new software are:
     - There hasn't been enough testing. I think that immediately after transition, a variety of small missed features, bugs, and performance issues would crop up. As a result, if the transition happened now (which is technically possible!), I'd expect the post-transition user experience to be poor for months while these things are fixed, which I don't want.
     - I am the only bitcointalk.org sysadmin and on-demand programmer, and I'm used to the current software. Furthermore, I need to frequently make changes to the current software, but each change I make might require alterations to Epochtalk, which is problematic.
     - The data-transition procedure still has a few known minor bugs.
    ~Snipped~
copper member
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1757
฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.
September 20, 2021, 07:08:37 PM
Bitcoin went all the way from a few hundred dollars to $65k recently, and yet the future of the "new forum software" isn't yet known?

I don't know why I have this bad feeling, but we might never see the project come to fruition?
Why is it dragging for so long like this?

Funds? Lack of devs to hire for the project?
Pages:
Jump to: