Pages:
Author

Topic: Progress? We're waiting... - page 5. (Read 3580 times)

Activity: 220
Merit: 102
Hello
December 27, 2017, 04:02:10 PM
The choice may have been different if we were to start the project now. But I believe that interfaces are what matters. Also, we kind of didn't have a choice on the frontend. If you would like to see, our migration layer and database schema design is written in Elixir and Ecto. As for JS, there are definitely shortcomings but performance-wise, Node is good enough on the server side for the time being.

Do you have any specific questions?

Do you realize how hilariously unbelievable it is that 11k BTC has been donated for new forum software and nothing has changed?

Do you ever feel like you scammed bitcointalk users that donated?

Javascript is slow... why the fuck would you be developing a 100 million dollar forum in javascript? "Good enough," seriously???. With all the bitcoin that was donated this is just insane... 2018 and no new software. Not even an alpha example to go look at.
Activity: 115
Merit: 8
December 12, 2017, 06:53:18 AM
What is the rush? Not like there is no Bitcointalk available? Forum is here and up and running.

Also not that there aren't any users on here as it is... Over 1.3 million accounts and counting.

I rather they take their time and make sure it works well, and it's secure, work is progressing on GitHub so not that they are not working on it either.

Give time to time, a forum with so many users can't just be switched over just like that.

I'm confident once ready we will all see the hardwork that went into it.

Just because it's hard work, that doesn't mean it's good work. Given the time frame of the project, and the apparent budget, the progress should be better. Not to mention that there are forum softwares out there that meet the needs to begin with. The theme of the new forum is trash. Plain and simple. I haven't logged in, so I can't give details on other aspects. But as a developer, I can tell you that progress vs budget vs time is pathetic right now.
Activity: 994
Merit: 507
November 26, 2017, 09:20:56 AM
What is the rush? Not like there is no Bitcointalk available? Forum is here and up and running.
It is a matter of new features for both conveniency and enhaced security.
Also not that there aren't any users on here as it is... Over 1.3 million accounts and counting.
That's not the basis. Also, we should count unique users from those 1.3 million accounts.
I rather they take their time and make sure it works well, and it's secure, work is progressing on GitHub so not that they are not working on it either.
If you had read above, you should know by now the concerns that will rise up when they take too much time to accomplish the new forum.
Give time to time, a forum with so many users can't just be switched over just like that.
Migrating the accounts and details are another thing. As far as I know, they're still developing the website itself.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
November 26, 2017, 12:35:57 AM

I'm confident once ready we will all see the hardwork that went into it.
Activity: 994
Merit: 507
November 23, 2017, 10:11:21 PM
The choice may have been different if we were to start the project now. But I believe that interfaces are what matters. Also, we kind of didn't have a choice on the frontend. If you would like to see, our migration layer and database schema design is written in Elixir and Ecto. As for JS, there are definitely shortcomings but performance-wise, Node is good enough on the server side for the time being.

Yes, instead of smooth talking us  Tongue, why aren't you simply giving an ETA of the new forum software? It's been almost years due now.

I feel like by the time this is going to be released, it will be outdated again.
Thank you! That's exactly what's on my mind.

Why not use Invision Pro Suite?

Not only has it got an amazing amount of history behind it (originally vBulletin), and is so incredibly powerful. I've been able to code in a points system, create all forms of event triggers and code in actions/conditions to create automated processes for certain administration tasks. Always updated, constantly bench tested, used as a commercial product, etc.

It has so much potential, yet the project was to create something from scratch? Are the people building it at least experienced in building forum products??

Check out what I was able to create within a few weeks: https://forum.stake.com/

Look at the potential! You have complete control over the template and formatting of layouts. Extend the API, extend the class/functions/objects, basically do anything you want.
I saw the Primedice's forum and that. The thing is, they just created it for a short period of time and not years and the outcome is very good. As what Wangbus said, the choice would have been different if they start the project now.

I just hope the wait is worth it and everyone will be satisfied. We might not know what these developers are going thru or what specific obstacles, struggles that they encounter but we will wait and hope for the best but hopefully not so long as what @AdolfinWolf said above.
:wq
copper member
Activity: 258
Merit: 49
November 22, 2017, 10:52:02 PM
Why not use Invision Pro Suite?

Not only has it got an amazing amount of history behind it (originally vBulletin), and is so incredibly powerful. I've been able to code in a points system, create all forms of event triggers and code in actions/conditions to create automated processes for certain administration tasks. Always updated, constantly bench tested, used as a commercial product, etc.

It has so much potential, yet the project was to create something from scratch? Are the people building it at least experienced in building forum products??

Check out what I was able to create within a few weeks: https://forum.stake.com/

Look at the potential! You have complete control over the template and formatting of layouts. Extend the API, extend the class/functions/objects, basically do anything you want.

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427
November 20, 2017, 11:31:54 AM

Yes, instead of smooth talking us  Tongue, why aren't you simply giving an ETA of the new forum software? It's been almost years due now.

I feel like by the time this is going to be released, it will be outdated again.
Activity: 110
Merit: 11
Principal Software Engineer
November 15, 2017, 03:12:17 AM

Activity: 574
Merit: 152
November 14, 2017, 05:29:33 PM
Epochtalk is extremely complicated especially on the admin side of things. That includes moderation/accountability, etc. For comparison, forums like Discourse have been in development a lot longer than us.

Take a look at the issues we have on the Github and try it out or something. Note, that the dependencies that are being developed are also under the entire epochtalk organization.

I feel like a broken record because these questions have been answered over and over. Apologies for not having anything more central and easier to digest than the Github repos.

Really? Is beta.bitcointalk.org legit the latest version? It's been 3 years and this is it? What is it being coded in... assembly?

If I remember correctly, the budget for the site was in the tens of thousands of BTC. At today's value, it'd probably be a $50MM bid. I'm thinking the admins were swindled in the bid... I think it should go back open or at least make a more open competition for the new software.

Edit: Found the source. It's freaking Javascript... that's why. Who would want that ungodly mess to manage? ew.

Edit2: https://github.com/epochtalk/epochtalk for those that can't google.

Why JS?
Activity: 110
Merit: 11
Principal Software Engineer
November 14, 2017, 04:11:28 PM
Epochtalk is extremely complicated especially on the admin side of things. That includes moderation/accountability, etc. For comparison, forums like Discourse have been in development a lot longer than us.

Take a look at the issues we have on the Github and try it out or something. Note, that the dependencies that are being developed are also under the entire epochtalk organization.

I feel like a broken record because these questions have been answered over and over. Apologies for not having anything more central and easier to digest than the Github repos.

Really? Is beta.bitcointalk.org legit the latest version? It's been 3 years and this is it? What is it being coded in... assembly?

If I remember correctly, the budget for the site was in the tens of thousands of BTC. At today's value, it'd probably be a $50MM bid. I'm thinking the admins were swindled in the bid... I think it should go back open or at least make a more open competition for the new software.

Edit: Found the source. It's freaking Javascript... that's why. Who would want that ungodly mess to manage? ew.

Activity: 574
Merit: 152
November 10, 2017, 07:22:43 PM

Pages:
Jump to: