Pages:
Author

Topic: Progress? We're waiting... - page 6. (Read 3928 times)

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427
November 20, 2017, 11:31:54 AM
The choice may have been different if we were to start the project now. But I believe that interfaces are what matters. Also, we kind of didn't have a choice on the frontend. If you would like to see, our migration layer and database schema design is written in Elixir and Ecto. As for JS, there are definitely shortcomings but performance-wise, Node is good enough on the server side for the time being.

Do you have any specific questions?

Yes, instead of smooth talking us  Tongue, why aren't you simply giving an ETA of the new forum software? It's been almost years due now.

I feel like by the time this is going to be released, it will be outdated again.
Activity: 110
Merit: 11
Principal Software Engineer
November 15, 2017, 03:12:17 AM
The choice may have been different if we were to start the project now. But I believe that interfaces are what matters. Also, we kind of didn't have a choice on the frontend. If you would like to see, our migration layer and database schema design is written in Elixir and Ecto. As for JS, there are definitely shortcomings but performance-wise, Node is good enough on the server side for the time being.

Do you have any specific questions?
Activity: 574
Merit: 152
November 14, 2017, 05:29:33 PM
Epochtalk is extremely complicated especially on the admin side of things. That includes moderation/accountability, etc. For comparison, forums like Discourse have been in development a lot longer than us.

Take a look at the issues we have on the Github and try it out or something. Note, that the dependencies that are being developed are also under the entire epochtalk organization.

I feel like a broken record because these questions have been answered over and over. Apologies for not having anything more central and easier to digest than the Github repos.

Really? Is beta.bitcointalk.org legit the latest version? It's been 3 years and this is it? What is it being coded in... assembly?

If I remember correctly, the budget for the site was in the tens of thousands of BTC. At today's value, it'd probably be a $50MM bid. I'm thinking the admins were swindled in the bid... I think it should go back open or at least make a more open competition for the new software.

Edit: Found the source. It's freaking Javascript... that's why. Who would want that ungodly mess to manage? ew.

Edit2: https://github.com/epochtalk/epochtalk for those that can't google.

Why JS?
Activity: 110
Merit: 11
Principal Software Engineer
November 14, 2017, 04:11:28 PM
Epochtalk is extremely complicated especially on the admin side of things. That includes moderation/accountability, etc. For comparison, forums like Discourse have been in development a lot longer than us.

Take a look at the issues we have on the Github and try it out or something. Note, that the dependencies that are being developed are also under the entire epochtalk organization.

I feel like a broken record because these questions have been answered over and over. Apologies for not having anything more central and easier to digest than the Github repos.

Really? Is beta.bitcointalk.org legit the latest version? It's been 3 years and this is it? What is it being coded in... assembly?

If I remember correctly, the budget for the site was in the tens of thousands of BTC. At today's value, it'd probably be a $50MM bid. I'm thinking the admins were swindled in the bid... I think it should go back open or at least make a more open competition for the new software.

Edit: Found the source. It's freaking Javascript... that's why. Who would want that ungodly mess to manage? ew.

Activity: 574
Merit: 152
November 10, 2017, 07:22:43 PM

Pages:
Jump to: