Pages:
Author

Topic: Progress? We're waiting... - page 4. (Read 3580 times)

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
September 20, 2021, 08:09:07 AM
The last merged PR was in May...

I guess a roadmap would be useful. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can code AngularJS (myself included), so can't we just code it collaboratively?

With some guidance of what needs to be done from whoever is in charge of this project maybe we could speed up the development.

Since it's on Github you can always fork it and I guess if someone ever manages to finish this piece of software then admin can change the DNS names like Reddit did and make new.bitcointalk.org point to the new forum software (and bitcointalk.org continues to point to the SMF version).
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
September 17, 2021, 08:44:04 PM
This has literally been the longest running fucking Bitcoin-related joke of shit-ware scam I've ever seen with no end ever... Trillions of forum dollars given to the admin's friends who frittered and wasted it all building a whole new framework instead of just improving the problems of the forum on another platform. Roll Eyes

What a fuckin' scam, Lol.... Someone got rich off this deal, that's for sure... Roll Eyes
Activity: 6
Merit: 1
August 31, 2021, 08:49:53 PM
The last merged PR was in May...

I guess a roadmap would be useful. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can code AngularJS (myself included), so can't we just code it collaboratively?

With some guidance of what needs to be done from whoever is in charge of this project maybe we could speed up the development.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1355
August 15, 2021, 03:26:51 PM
... let's see maybe someone here in the forum has some clear details.

My understanding is that there is only one person who has insight into this. As far as I can see, the last post on this topic was from two years ago. I wonder if anything has changed since then.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1165
🤩Finally Married🤩
August 15, 2021, 02:05:16 PM
Putting this up on top, interested to hear some news our new forum, as we are almost halfway to end this year now, maybe we can get something out from theymos? 😅 still cool, just curious...

PROGRESS?...

I second that. In just a few months, we will be wrapping up 2021. What is taking so long?
Or have we given up on the whole idea?

I dont think they have given up yet,as they already spent thousnds of dolars here afaik. So it woulnd't be that easy to forfeit this project... let's see maybe someone here in the forum has some clear details.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1355
August 15, 2021, 11:47:23 AM
Putting this up on top, interested to hear some news our new forum, as we are almost halfway to end this year now, maybe we can get something out from theymos? 😅 still cool, just curious...

PROGRESS?...

I second that. In just a few months, we will be wrapping up 2021. What is taking so long?
Or have we given up on the whole idea?
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1165
🤩Finally Married🤩
August 12, 2021, 03:13:59 PM

PROGRESS?...
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
December 02, 2019, 01:27:05 PM
The choice may have been different if we were to start the project now. But I believe that interfaces are what matters. Also, we kind of didn't have a choice on the frontend. If you would like to see, our migration layer and database schema design is written in Elixir and Ecto. As for JS, there are definitely shortcomings but performance-wise, Node is good enough on the server side for the time being.

Do you have any specific questions?

Just out of curiosity, what would probably be your first choice if you were to start the project now? Would it be Go, Java, something else, ...?
Activity: 1540
Merit: 759
October 18, 2018, 02:25:05 PM
The upgrade is an very easy process, it will take probably under 1 hour with the actual database size.

Conventionally, yes. To re-program / re-implement features, no.

You're thinking about a standard SMF forum w/o modifications. It's really easy to speak when you don't know the backend of the forum or the context of how it's run.

Your 1hr quote would be the automated/recommend portion of the migration to 2, which I doubt BitcoinTalk could even use w/ all customizations without totally breaking the forum OR requiring further work to fix everything.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1416
October 11, 2018, 02:01:10 AM
I didn't follow the latest development with the new forum, but as i last heard, it was stopped due to some problem between theymos and the developers. I see there is again some activity in github now https://github.com/epochtalk/epochtalk/pull/458, is the development continuing ?
sdp
Activity: 469
Merit: 280
October 07, 2018, 11:41:32 PM
Buyers remorse is worse with bitcoin.  I am a guy looks at what he spent to buy a tablet with 0.2 BTC and keep thinking I have a mental disability looking back but then I think of Adam Levine's camera for 30, and Theymos paying 11k for web software and another guy bought two pizzas for the same amount.  Money is for spending. It's only a game.  I learned a lot by using the tools and services I bought with BTC, and I am glad I had those.  It must be disheartening after three years for Theymos but good software can take time.

Activity: 336
Merit: 10
September 26, 2018, 06:00:24 AM
I rather they take their time and make sure it works well, and it's secure, work is progressing on GitHub so not that they are not working on it either.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1042
www.explorerz.top
April 23, 2018, 07:49:23 PM
Whatever is the development of new forum, you should definitely update the SMF in the mean time.

The SMF team stopped supporting the 1.1.xx branch, which this forum use now.
Not even the security updates.
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=559497.0
Upgrade to 2.0.x branch, it already has built-in lot of demands listed in here.
The upgrade is an very easy process, it will take probably under 1 hour with the actual database size.

the forum is heavily customized and got some checks after the last hack, which was years ago. the fact the "outdated" version isn't killed 5 times a day should say it all Wink

the version number shown here doesn't mean some stuff wasn't backported.
Activity: 7
Merit: 1
March 30, 2018, 07:31:02 PM
Really? Is beta.bitcointalk.org legit the latest version? It's been 3 years and this is it? What is it being coded in... assembly?

If I remember correctly, the budget for the site was in the tens of thousands of BTC. At today's value, it'd probably be a $50MM bid. I'm thinking the admins were swindled in the bid... I think it should go back open or at least make a more open competition for the new software.

Edit: Found the source. It's freaking Javascript... that's why. Who would want that ungodly mess to manage? ew.

Edit2: https://github.com/epochtalk/epochtalk for those that can't google.
Just because it's hard work, that doesn't mean it's good work. Given the time frame of the project, and the apparent budget, the progress should be better. Not to mention that there are forum softwares out there that meet the needs to begin with. The theme of the new forum is trash. Plain and simple.

This is cut and paste SPAM.

Just because it's hard work, that doesn't mean it's good work. Given the time frame of the project, and the apparent budget, the progress should be better. Not to mention that there are forum softwares out there that meet the needs to begin with. The theme of the new forum is trash. Plain and simple....
Activity: 30
March 24, 2018, 08:39:47 PM

You have no idea of the number of customizations Theymos has created.  The upgrade would take weeks, if it was even possible.  :/

probably most of them are for some background activities for admins, mods and others groups;

the front end is SMF plain and simple with very few standard mods available from SMF library;
and I say that because I know SMF very well, I had and still have few forums on SMF platform

anyway not having the security updates from SMF, is not very healthy; if a stupid bug would to be found in the near future could make a problem;
this is not a forum for kids toys, a lot of people have sensitive informations for sure (in private messages sections most probably, but never know)
Activity: 115
Merit: 8
March 24, 2018, 01:29:03 PM

You have no idea of the number of customizations Theymos has created.  The upgrade would take weeks, if it was even possible.  :/

That's okay, because they've taken years to develop a half-assed forum software. Take your pick.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
March 24, 2018, 09:45:11 AM

Activity: 30
March 23, 2018, 09:32:46 PM
Whatever is the development of new forum, you should definitely update the SMF in the mean time.

The SMF team stopped supporting the 1.1.xx branch, which this forum use now.
Not even the security updates.
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=559497.0
Upgrade to 2.0.x branch, it already has built-in lot of demands listed in here.
Activity: 41
March 17, 2018, 10:18:24 PM
Really? Is beta.bitcointalk.org legit the latest version? It's been 3 years and this is it? What is it being coded in... assembly?

If I remember correctly, the budget for the site was in the tens of thousands of BTC. At today's value, it'd probably be a $50MM bid. I'm thinking the admins were swindled in the bid... I think it should go back open or at least make a more open competition for the new software.

Edit: Found the source. It's freaking Javascript... that's why. Who would want that ungodly mess to manage? ew.

Edit2: https://github.com/epochtalk/epochtalk for those that can't google.
Just because it's hard work, that doesn't mean it's good work. Given the time frame of the project, and the apparent budget, the progress should be better. Not to mention that there are forum softwares out there that meet the needs to begin with. The theme of the new forum is trash. Plain and simple.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1031
January 21, 2018, 03:06:09 AM
Progress?  No, the opposite of progress.  I mean --HUGE-- step backwards with just one function that I used to always use::: The PRINT thread option is GONE.  Okay, it's not gone but for anything with more than a few pages we get this lovely message, "The topic is too large to fit on one page."

Sorry if I sound rude and obtuse for not understanding the plight of the managers here.  I was given a reason in the past and I understand rationale in favor of server performance and support of many many more users.  

BUT...  the point is pulling information out of these message boards got exponentially more difficult for me by not being able to print message threads anymore.  I could care less about billion dollar forum renovations.  I would be happy to simply be able to print thousands of pages from a message thread.  I understand there are many like me and that would be a huge demand but surely this is something this mighty website could muster.
Pages:
Jump to: