Pages:
Author

Topic: Proposal: Disallow Ads in Signatures - page 5. (Read 19034 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
March 08, 2014, 12:26:33 PM
Most of the ad campaigns nowadays check if the user spams and ask specifically for the user to make meaningful post. Ad campaigns are also currently the best way for people new to Bitcoin to earn some for themselves. So, no, ads in signatures are good (at least for now). For example me myself is in an ad campaign and I enjoy helping others with their problems and earn small amounts of Bitcoins myself, only if people tip others for helpful posts then the community may be enriched and people won't resort to ad campaigns = helpful posts only and minimal spam
Activity: 350
Merit: 252
REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||
March 06, 2014, 02:20:10 AM
I have thought up of a solution (still need to work on it a little), but I'll mak a seperate thread for it.

Sounds great. Post a link to the new thread here please. Thank you.

Here you go. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/suggestion-to-help-stop-spamming-503278
read your suggestion on other thread have to say they are worth taking a note...!
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
nahtnam.com
March 06, 2014, 01:39:37 AM
I have thought up of a solution (still need to work on it a little), but I'll mak a seperate thread for it.

Here you go. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/suggestion-to-help-stop-spamming-503278
Activity: 62
Merit: 10
March 05, 2014, 08:38:05 PM

legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008
Keep it dense, yeah?
March 05, 2014, 08:14:11 PM
Or perhaps there could be a flag post as spam option, these could then be raised to the moderators attention, with the highest flagged posts appearing as a priority for inspection. Just one possible suggestion.
There is: "Report to moderator" right under every message.

Yeah, there is this, but I feel that it proves as something of a barrier due to the record that is kept against a user who is reporting, plus the revelation of your email address - which presumably moderators would otherwise not be able to view.

Thinking about it now, a 'flag as spam' button which would literally be just a click would likely be abused, even if it was off-limits to the lesser active members.

Could always develop and trial it Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1295
DiceSites.com owner
March 05, 2014, 08:05:03 PM
Or perhaps there could be a flag post as spam option, these could then be raised to the moderators attention, with the highest flagged posts appearing as a priority for inspection. Just one possible suggestion.
There is: "Report to moderator" right under every message.
Activity: 762
Merit: 500
March 05, 2014, 07:46:31 PM
ok, so I just realized that the signature restriction has started to take effect...
legendary
Keep it dense, yeah?
March 05, 2014, 07:28:04 PM
... the solution is in the community taking an active role in reporting rule breakers, irrespective of signatures.
Indeed.
And how do you stimulate the community taking a more active role? I think the answer to this question (if is a simple, practical one) is the solution.

Sounds positive! Surprisingly it doesn't take a great number of people to weed out the problem users - we have the moderators first and foremost - while they have the power to take action, they probably it isn't feasible for them to see everything that goes down.

Just a few more people with sound judgement taking a pro-active step towards reporting problem users to the mods would be a massive improvement. I'm sure that this happens to some degree already through he report post features. Of course, the moderators have the final say, so they may even choose to dismiss reports if they see fit.

legendary
nahtnam.com
March 05, 2014, 06:40:54 PM
... the solution is in the community taking an active role in reporting rule breakers, irrespective of signatures.
Indeed.
And how do you stimulate the community taking a more active role? I think the answer to this question (if is a simple, practical one) is the solution.

Activity: 62
Merit: 10
March 05, 2014, 06:19:27 PM
Indeed.
legendary
Keep it dense, yeah?
March 05, 2014, 03:41:35 AM
Its not descrimination against signature advertising participants, its statistics. If you live in an area with 100 people, and there is a car accident every two years, your car insurance is going to be lower based on the statistical information the insurance company has on what is has had to pay out, rather than living in a highly populated area with lots of wrecks. Same thing here, the percentage of paid advertising spammers is far higher than any other usergroup, so measures were taken. While you are correct that they are the minority technically speaking, it has got completely out of hand, and Im quite happy about the new signature restrictions. I'd be happier with an activity based paid advertising system, or none at all for that matter, but I do believe people are entitled to do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't negatively effect others. Spam effects others.

Sure, so long as you treat each user group with equal scrutinisation. The increased likelihood of spam for a paid ad sig user is a fair observation, we have seen some people who take the piss with this - and they have been dealt with.

The definitive way to combat spam is to report it on sighting, right? None of this 'Oh they have a paid signature, they must chat a lot of crap - let's find a reason to hate on them'.

The forum changes don't really affect me in a great deal, as I am a casual user of the forum, but I am keen to stress that this restriction isn't the final solution, the solution is in the community taking an active role in reporting rule breakers, irrespective of signatures.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2156
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
March 05, 2014, 02:34:34 AM
Its not descrimination against signature advertising participants, its statistics. If you live in an area with 100 people, and there is a car accident every two years, your car insurance is going to be lower based on the statistical information the insurance company has on what is has had to pay out, rather than living in a highly populated area with lots of wrecks. Same thing here, the percentage of paid advertising spammers is far higher than any other usergroup, so measures were taken. While you are correct that they are the minority technically speaking, it has got completely out of hand, and Im quite happy about the new signature restrictions. I'd be happier with an activity based paid advertising system, or none at all for that matter, but I do believe people are entitled to do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't negatively effect others. Spam effects others.
legendary
nahtnam.com
March 05, 2014, 02:26:41 AM
$350K ?!?!? Do you know if its going to be SMF or something else?

I haven't been following it much, as generally forum software (esp for this one) takes quite a while so yeah. If I recall correctly I think it isn't SMF, but don't quote me on that one.

Alright. Thanks a lot for the update!
Activity: 742
Merit: 502
Circa 2010
March 05, 2014, 02:25:45 AM

I haven't been following it much, as generally forum software (esp for this one) takes quite a while so yeah. If I recall correctly I think it isn't SMF, but don't quote me on that one.
legendary
nahtnam.com
March 05, 2014, 02:18:43 AM
They were enabled but they are now disabled. I don't think they will be enabled anytime soon because they are somewhat resource intensive and you can upload inappropriate images.

As far as I remember there was a hack that was involved with the use of avatars on this forum and ever since theymos has had the functionality turned off. Although, I'm pretty sure it'll come back with the new forum software if that ever comes...  Roll Eyes

There is going to be a new forum software?

Yeah, I'm surprised you don't know about this. It's in meta as well.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--455867

Circa 2010
March 05, 2014, 02:16:01 AM
They were enabled but they are now disabled. I don't think they will be enabled anytime soon because they are somewhat resource intensive and you can upload inappropriate images.

As far as I remember there was a hack that was involved with the use of avatars on this forum and ever since theymos has had the functionality turned off. Although, I'm pretty sure it'll come back with the new forum software if that ever comes...  Roll Eyes

Yeah, I'm surprised you don't know about this. It's in meta as well.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--455867
legendary
nahtnam.com
March 05, 2014, 02:06:46 AM

Circa 2010
March 05, 2014, 02:02:00 AM

legendary
nahtnam.com
March 04, 2014, 11:43:04 PM
One of the reasons I really liked the fact we could use ads in the sig with colors was that I could easily scroll down and find my posts.  Now that my sig is generic like most, its a pain in the ass. 

What are the chances that we will be able to use pictures with our profiles? I understand that there were issues in the past, but is there a chance they will be brought back?

Activity: 714
Merit: 503
March 04, 2014, 11:33:10 PM
One of the reasons I really liked the fact we could use ads in the sig with colors was that I could easily scroll down and find my posts.  Now that my sig is generic like most, its a pain in the ass. 

What are the chances that we will be able to use pictures with our profiles? I understand that there were issues in the past, but is there a chance they will be brought back?
Pages:
Jump to: