Author

Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers. - page 181. (Read 636443 times)

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
Agreed. It doesn't seem like it if you watch the news but the human race does actually get more peaceful as we advance. If there is a civilization that is so advanced as to be able to do interstellar travel a reasonable assumption is that they would either be peaceful or avoid detection altogether so as to not interfere with our history.

There is some reason to fear emerging species from the interstellar viewpoint.  Suppose you are happily existing around Alpha Centauri, and you get word of this massive heap of junk headed your way from Sol.  The remains of an interstellar spaceship sent on a trip to your solar system which disintegrated en route killing everyone on their 250 year voyage. 

All that junk is coming in at a significant fraction of light speed......

That's way, WAY more scary than a big rock hitting the Earth...I guess depending on the size of the rock, but energy increases as the square of the speed...
legendary
should be banned from teaching in schools too
Read about the Russian scientist Lysenko please and let us know if you still feel that way afterwards.
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
There are still a handful of human groups who are isolated (mostly in the South American jungles.)  We've advanced sufficiently in a relatively short amount of time that our strategy now is to be pretty careful in how we contact with and treat these people and basically interfere with them and their lifestyles as little as possible. 
My supposition is that alien races who have advanced to a certain level would adopt the same strategy toward us.

Agreed. It doesn't seem like it if you watch the news but the human race does actually get more peaceful as we advance. If there is a civilization that is so advanced as to be able to do interstellar travel a reasonable assumption is that they would either be peaceful or avoid detection altogether so as to not interfere with our history.

The real trick would be to cloak us so effectively that we saw no convincing signs or signals of existence life elsewhere in the universe.  That's a mind-blowing technical challenge (to me).  But OTOH, so would be interstellar travel.  Doubtless I'm a victim of over-emphasizing a geo-spacial significance in my view of reality.

I can see how such a thing could happen however.  After working with computers for a while it is almost 'weird' to me to be anywhere near the computer I happen to be using.  But most of the non-computer people I talk to (and myself some time ago) have a great deal of difficulty with the concept of using a computer which is not close enough to one to have a VGA cable attached.  Experience is pretty fundamental to shaping a person's abilities to conceptualize things.

legendary

I wonder what an alien gas guzzling SUV would look like.  Cheesy
  Typical concepts of power usage required for interstellar travel or even communication between star systems require so many more orders of magnitude than what we think of that yeah, those SUVs would be huge energy users.
Activity: 104
Merit: 10
should be banned from teaching in schools too
Activity: 406
Merit: 250

It seems inconceivable to me that much more advanced life must exist in the universe, and we should be able to pick up signals.  This is simply by the laws of chance.  The strongest hypothesis I've been able to come up with in 35-ish years of thinking about it is that there is a sort of a universal ethic to completely isolate life forms who have not reached a sufficient level of advancement.  That would be our situation, and considering the terrible things we do to one another I could certainly understand how others intelligent races would consider us very primitive (and rather disgusting to be honest.)

A century or two ago when one more 'advanced' group found another, the totally acceptable and rational thing to do was to kill or enslave them.  Typically both.  There was never any question about the appropriateness of this response.

There are still a handful of human groups who are isolated (mostly in the South American jungles.)  We've advanced sufficiently in a relatively short amount of time that our strategy now is to be pretty careful in how we contact with and treat these people and basically interfere with them and their lifestyles as little as possible.  I just heard a radio thing about it when I was traveling recently.  Most of these groups are hostile (else they would not have survived.)  The rule of thumb for those seeking contact for certain operational reasons is to "die if you must but never kill" since firearms are carried by the contactors.  Again, this is very significant progress in terms of 'humanity.'

My supposition is that alien races who have advanced to a certain level would adopt the same strategy toward us.

legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276

It seems inconceivable to me that much more advanced life must exist in the universe, and we should be able to pick up signals.  This is simply by the laws of chance.  The strongest hypothesis I've been able to come up with in 35-ish years of thinking about it is that there is a sort of a universal ethic to completely isolate life forms who have not reached a sufficient level of advancement.  That would be our situation, and considering the terrible things we do to one another I could certainly understand how others intelligent races would consider us very primitive (and rather disgusting to be honest.)

A century or two ago when one more 'advanced' group found another, the totally acceptable and rational thing to do was to kill or enslave them.  Typically both.  There was never any question about the appropriateness of this response.

There are still a handful of human groups who are isolated (mostly in the South American jungles.)  We've advanced sufficiently in a relatively short amount of time that our strategy now is to be pretty careful in how we contact with and treat these people and basically interfere with them and their lifestyles as little as possible.  I just heard a radio thing about it when I was traveling recently.  Most of these groups are hostile (else they would not have survived.)  The rule of thumb for those seeking contact for certain operational reasons is to "die if you must but never kill" since firearms are carried by the contactors.  Again, this is very significant progress in terms of 'humanity.'

This is extremely political. It is unethical to ban someone because they have viewpoints that do not agree with their own.

Agreed. When you can't win the argument the last resort is to shut it down.
Activity: 266
This is extremely political. It is unethical to ban someone because they have viewpoints that do not agree with their own.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 2008
First Exclusion Ever

Obama: Global Warming Is Real Because “Science Is Science”…

“Science is science.”

That’s how President Barack Obama sums up climate change in an interview with New York Timescolumnist Thomas Friedman, which was printed in the Times on Sunday and will air on Showtime’sYears of Living Dangerously on Monday.

Obama’s remarks come on the heels of his announced plan to curb carbon emissions by nearly a third—a big step that Republicans are already lining up to protest.

The good news is that the public may get the heads of some of their politicians,” Obama said, suggesting that as people see the effects of weather disasters like hurricanes and droughts, they might begin to change their minds.

“Those start multiplying, then people start thinking, ‘You know what? We’re going to reward politicians who talk to us honestly and seriously about this problem,’” he said.

The president stated that for the rest of his term he’ll aim to shift public opinion, which he hopes will help him shift policy.

“Part of my job over these next two and a half years and beyond is trying to shift public opinion. And the way to shift public opinion is to really focus in on the fact that if we do nothing our kids are going to be worse off,” he said.

http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/obama-climate-change-science

ONE PART of that gibberish that I think we could all agree with.

In bold.
Fixed that for you.
legendary

“Science is science.”

That’s how President Barack Obama sums up climate change in an interview with New York Timescolumnist Thomas Friedman, which was printed in the Times on Sunday and will air on Showtime’sYears of Living Dangerously on Monday.

Obama’s remarks come on the heels of his announced plan to curb carbon emissions by nearly a third—a big step that Republicans are already lining up to protest.

The good news is that the public may get out ahead of some of their politicians,” Obama said, suggesting that as people see the effects of weather disasters like hurricanes and droughts, they might begin to change their minds.

“Those start multiplying, then people start thinking, ‘You know what? We’re going to reward politicians who talk to us honestly and seriously about this problem,’” he said.

The president stated that for the rest of his term he’ll aim to shift public opinion, which he hopes will help him shift policy.

“Part of my job over these next two and a half years and beyond is trying to shift public opinion. And the way to shift public opinion is to really focus in on the fact that if we do nothing our kids are going to be worse off,” he said.

ONE PART of that gibberish that I think we could all agree with.

In bold.

“Science is science.”

“The good news is that the public may get out ahead of some of their politicians,” Obama said, suggesting that as people see the effects of weather disasters like hurricanes and droughts, they might begin to change their minds.

No. Your job was to make smart decisions to improve the economy and get us off of a war footing. You did neither. Don't let the door hit you on the way out you jackal.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon

“Science is science.”

“The good news is that the public may get out ahead of some of their politicians,” Obama said, suggesting that as people see the effects of weather disasters like hurricanes and droughts, they might begin to change their minds.

legendary
http://i.imgur.com/XQjrBqm.png

According to the RSS satellite data, whose value for April 2014 is just in, the global warming trend in the 17 years 9 months since August 1996 is zero. The 212 months without global warming represents more than half the 423-month satellite data record, which began in January 1979. No one now in high school has lived through global warming.
Here's the trend from 4 different sources:

But yes, the air temperature has not risen much in the last years.
First, the assertions are not scientifically formulated.  The right way is to say "No statistically significant warming in 17 years".

Second, the satellite data set is far more precise, replicable, and reliable than the ground based thermometer network.   Ground based instruments are fine for regional and local temperature - that's what they were put there for.  Generally though they are a hopeless mess of adjustments and incomparable data sets.  Satellite data accurately covers the entire planet, because the satellites used are in polar orbit - the earth rotates below them, and so they cover the land masses, the oceans, the North and South Poles equally.

But land based thermometers such as GSS and Hadcrut?  How many test points do they have in Antarctica?  Last I heard it was a grand total of 6, for a land mass larger than America.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002
geoengineering at national french TV news. its official.
http://www.wikistrike.com/2014/06/tf1-parle-de-geo-ingenierie-et-avoue-que-c-est-mondial.html
they made it snow in china...

edit: rofl, now its all about cooling the earth.. no shit. spraying iron under the sea and sending mirrors in space to deviate sunlight for few degrees...
http://videos.tf1.fr/jt-we/2009/la-geo-ingenierie-solution-geniale-au-rechauffement-climatique-5552915.html
title: "geoengineering, the awesome solution to global warming"
WTFFFFFFFFFF
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038
Are we getting warm yet?

Activity: 223
Merit: 100
Not surprised a bit that earth worshipers would ban dissent.
http://i.imgur.com/XQjrBqm.png

According to the RSS satellite data, whose value for April 2014 is just in, the global warming trend in the 17 years 9 months since August 1996 is zero. The 212 months without global warming represents more than half the 423-month satellite data record, which began in January 1979. No one now in high school has lived through global warming.
Here's the trend from 4 different sources:

But yes, the air temperature has not risen much in the last years.
That isn't a source. It is a chart with absolutely no information provided showing what the chart is based on. Could you possibly be more lazy?

I'm all for it. They're not stifling free speech, they're stifling ignorance and stupidity, one of the greatest threats to the survival and well-being of the human race.

So you are all for silencing speech that you consider ignorant and stupid? Not only are you ignorant and stupid, but you are also a fascist and that has nothing to do with climate science.

It is just as facist of you to think you should be able to say what you want in private forums and everyone should be forced to read it even though that is not what they went there for.

You might not like it, but you're no less of a fascist yourself.
So when someone comes to your home and forces you to read these comments at gunpoint, why don't you call the police?

In the true believers minds the agenda is more important than getting to the truth. In an odd way they hurt their own cause because people stop listening when you scream wolf constantly. There are environmental issues that we can ans should address in a reasonable manner but the extremists cause reasonable to people to turn a deaf ear.

Jump to: