Pages:
Author

Topic: Requesting for a Bengali translation and Press release sub board - page 4. (Read 968 times)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 5937
I don't want to discourage these new members, but ignoring them about what they are doing can be bad for the future. I want them to be more helpful and want to see them contributing to the forum one day.
Well, there's no other way to make them stop other than calling them out and telling original creators what's going on and unless you do it, they will just keep doing that.

Its pretty obvious that this guy's English is not on the adequate level to even think about translating so no wonder that you suspect he uses Google translate.
Activity: 476
Merit: 212
Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big
As a native speaker, I can say that very few translators met the translation standard, and most of the translation was done by Google Translator and later edited a little bit and reposted.
Have you reported that to the creators of the original topics as those are usually the ones that give most of the merit to them and as far as I know, they usually mention that use of automatic translation tools is forbidden. On top of that, its also against forum forum rules.

27. Using automated translation tools to post translated content in Local boards is not allowed

No, I didn't. There are so many of them. Here is just one example that I believe was translated through google Translate and later edited. I don't want to discourage these new members, but ignoring them about what they are doing can be bad for the future. I want them to be more helpful and want to see them contributing to the forum one day. I really do, but not this way.

OP remove the link
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 5937
As a native speaker, I can say that very few translators met the translation standard, and most of the translation was done by Google Translator and later edited a little bit and reposted.
Have you reported that to the creators of the original topics as those are usually the ones that give most of the merit to them and as far as I know, they usually mention that use of automatic translation tools is forbidden. On top of that, its also against forum forum rules.

27. Using automated translation tools to post translated content in Local boards is not allowed

Translation should be done when the necessity of that topic arises.

The more I look at this situation the more I see that motivating on a translation of some topics usually doesn't lead to what is expected. Right, there appears some translated text, but if a translator is not really interested in what he translated, then he doesn't support the topic, has nothing to unswer on appearing questions, etc. And the topic goes down, meating with very few interest and only on the start.

For a topic to be active it should be kept up. So the OP should be interested in what he writes (or translates). Even if some topic is really infortmative but is not kept up, it will be forgotten really soon.

The positive result of any topic including the translated one is when it is talked for weeks, months and even years. And not when it was only translated once and forgotten right after that.

As I have mentioned, most of the translators are using it as a loophole to rank up. Most of them have no interest in creating value from their translation. It seems they have found a easy way to attract some merit source. If global members stop sharing merit on translated topics, I bet the translation rate will decrease to 90%. TBH, I don't have any problem with the translation, but the way they are using it. It is not hard to differentiate between a translation done by Google Translate and an organic translation if you are a native speaker.
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 2962
Translation should be done when the necessity of that topic arises.

The more I look at this situation the more I see that motivating on a translation of some topics usually doesn't lead to what is expected. Right, there appears some translated text, but if a translator is not really interested in what he translated, then he doesn't support the topic, has nothing to unswer on appearing questions, etc. And the topic goes down, meating with very few interest and only on the start.

For a topic to be active it should be kept up. So the OP should be interested in what he writes (or translates). Even if some topic is really infortmative but is not kept up, it will be forgotten really soon.

The positive result of any topic including the translated one is when it is talked for weeks, months and even years. And not when it was only translated once and forgotten right after that.
It sounds illogical to ask for a Bengali sub board for Bengali translation and press release because we don't have any local boards yet. But the way the Bengali board is hammered with translated topics and news source posts, it looks like spamming to many of us. I am not against translating informative topics created by global members with permission, but some members are using it as a loophole to rank up quickly. Every time someone translates a topic their post has been rewarded with 10 to 20 merits. As a native speaker, I can say that very few translators met the translation standard, and most of the translation was done by Google Translator and later edited a little bit and reposted. I can not blame global members for contributing to those topics, as they can not speak the language and have little understanding of it.

There is nothing bad about ranking up but this loophole has been noticed by many new members who are also trying to use the same kind of tactics to attract merit sources, which leads to spamming the board. There are countless informative topics on the global board that can be translated into every local language, but that doesn't mean we need to translate them all at once. Translation should be done when the necessity of that topic arises.
Pages:
Jump to: