Pages:
Author

Topic: Retirement Age for Workers - Does this Make Sense? - page 7. (Read 1422 times)

MiF
Activity: 1344
Merit: 258
France's Constitutional Council on Friday approved an unpopular plan to raise the retirement age from 62 to 64, in a victory for President Emmanuel Macron after three months of mass protests over the legislation that have damaged his leadership.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/france-retirement-age-raise-64-approved-constitutional-council/

This so-called measure has several benefits and drawbacks. The elder employees can benefit from their years of experience if they are retained on the job for longer, which is one advantage. The drawback of this is that many workplaces will report low performance because there is an inverse relationship between a person's success at work and their deterioration in cognitive and physical capacities.

Regardless, what I think is that the government shouldn't shove it down the throat of people. Workers who are approaching retirement age should be given a choice after appraisal to keep working or retire.

What sense does this make? Would you agree or disagree?

I think this is a serious topic, there are a lot of worker that still wanted to work because thier condition is still good even if they are old, and there are also wanted thier retirement fee because they have a health problem, so for me it is a good option to asked the worker if they can still work with thier age, i think it depend on the health not on the age.
Activity: 560
Merit: 418
France's Constitutional Council on Friday approved an unpopular plan to raise the retirement age from 62 to 64, in a victory for President Emmanuel Macron after three months of mass protests over the legislation that have damaged his leadership.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/france-retirement-age-raise-64-approved-constitutional-council/

This so-called measure has several benefits and drawbacks. The elder employees can benefit from their years of experience if they are retained on the job for longer, which is one advantage. The drawback of this is that many workplaces will report low performance because there is an inverse relationship between a person's success at work and their deterioration in cognitive and physical capacities.

Regardless, what I think is that the government shouldn't shove it down the throat of people. Workers who are approaching retirement age should be given a choice after appraisal to keep working or retire.

If you need the government retirement plan in your late age you are fucked anyway. Retiring at 62-64? No fucking way. How about making investments while you were young and getting retired at 50? 40? or even 35? Now that sounds cool. The government can take that retirement plan and stick it to the place where the sun don't shine. Unfortunately for the most people, they need that shit to survive and that's a terrible thing. Now they need to work 2 more years just to what? get retired on a shitty gov plan. You only live once, plan accordingly.

Some people do love it, you can call it shitty government plan or whatever but it still doesn't change the fact that some workers do reduce their age as to continue working, especially a place where the money never stops coming.
I agree with you where you said "you only live once. Plan accordingly", the way you feel is it the same way the people feel about themselves? Thats what you need to know, it just have to happen SHITTY GOVERNMENT PLAN.
Activity: 910
Merit: 789
Now people are not looking for the long term jobs. They are now looking for the business which can help them grow.
Long-term work can also help a person to grow in life. Because if someone is just looking for a job that can make him grow without considering whether the job will last him in the long term or not, it will only help him for a while because he has to find another job that he can do in the long term. So a job in the long term is the first solution that must be found by everyone if they want to grow well in their respective lives, especially if it is their own business that is run independently.
Activity: 1050
Merit: 109
Retirement age doesn't really matter in my opinion since we all have choices on what age we should retire. Senior employees contributed a lot in any companies, they are the best teachers to train new employees while getting a very decent salary, that's why even in the age of 60, they are still working to maximize the benefits of their hard work.

This kind of topic doesn't promote or encouraging us to work until we're old. Of course it is so much better to retire at an early age to celebrate our success.

Every government has a retirement plan for their workers. They have the age at which every civil servants will have to retire. But government coming in the middle of the game to change the goal post saying that every civil servant we have to serve for x more years.
To somw people, it is fair because they will have to be in service for more years. But to some people, it will be unfair to them because they would want to relax and enjoy the fruit of their labor. According to your analogy, anyone can decide to retire at any time but if you retire before the government stipulated time, how sure are you that the dividends and retirement benefits would be given to you? That is the bone of contest in this discussion.
Now people are not looking for the long term jobs. They are now looking for the business which can help them grow.
Activity: 1624
Merit: 791
Bitcoin To The Moon 📈📈📈
It depends, some people get retired because they have been in service for way too long and some are retired because they are old, I understand that some older people are still able to work, but retirement comes with pension money right? Although some government in some countries don't fulfill their promises to retired government workers, in my country many retired government workers are abandoned by the government, left to survive on their own and some.of these old men and women have no relatives that can take care of them, only this that have children that are successful and rich are in good care.
But usually, retirement is at the age of 50 and over, some are less than that depending on those who work and the policies of the company they work for, but every worker who retires has severance pay that must be given because he has served the company for a long time.

Because the government always forgets about some civil servants who are not given pensions for many other administrative reasons that do not meet the criteria, even cases like this are many in several countries, but in the end, these civil servants will be neglected because the government will no longer pay attention to them after retirement.

If I have to advise anyone who is older and also a government worker, I will tell them not to rely on the government work, when they are getting closer to their retirement, they should be able to find something else to do with the money they made from the government's job, they should be able to deposit money into another new business that will help them as they get more older.
It's much better for them to have their own business as a side if they rely on pension money then it won't be a complete fact, they have to be able to be creative again in any field other than being government employees first so when they enter retirement they are ready with the business they are running. run it and don't depend on the government that doesn't always keep its promises.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1024
Hello Leo! You can still win.
Retirement age doesn't really matter in my opinion since we all have choices on what age we should retire. Senior employees contributed a lot in any companies, they are the best teachers to train new employees while getting a very decent salary, that's why even in the age of 60, they are still working to maximize the benefits of their hard work.

This kind of topic doesn't promote or encouraging us to work until we're old. Of course it is so much better to retire at an early age to celebrate our success.

Every government has a retirement plan for their workers. They have the age at which every civil servants will have to retire. But government coming in the middle of the game to change the goal post saying that every civil servant we have to serve for x more years.
To somw people, it is fair because they will have to be in service for more years. But to some people, it will be unfair to them because they would want to relax and enjoy the fruit of their labor. According to your analogy, anyone can decide to retire at any time but if you retire before the government stipulated time, how sure are you that the dividends and retirement benefits would be given to you? That is the bone of contest in this discussion.
Activity: 2268
Merit: 581
Setting a retirement age for workers can make sense in some ways. It helps to ensure that there are opportunities for younger workers to enter the workforce and advance in their careers. Additionally it can help ensure that the older workers are not forced to work beyond their physical and mental capabilities. There are arguments that retirement age should be more flexible, based on individual circumstances such as health, financial status, and personal preference. Indeed whether or not a retirement age makes sense for every individual. None of us wants to force ourselves to work even we reach the old age.
Like you said earlier it depends. If you are old but are still very active and you also need money to support yourself and the people that depends on you then you can continue working. So, it is better for the retirement age to be flexible or better if a company doesn't have it so that there will be no worries if our company will permit us to continue or not but I think the only advantage of retirement age is that there are certain benefits that entails with them like pension funds. I don't know if that is the same to retirement funds but having one of it is better than nothing. It ensures you a fixed income even if you are no longer working.
Activity: 2324
Merit: 454

Activity: 658
Merit: 384
It depends, some people get retired because they have been in service for way too long and some are retired because they are old, I understand that some older people are still able to work, but retirement comes with pension money right? Although some government in some countries don't fulfill their promises to retired government workers, in my country many retired government workers are abandoned by the government, left to survive on their own and some.of these old men and women have no relatives that can take care of them, only this that have children that are successful and rich are in good care.

If I have to advise anyone who is older and also a government worker, I will tell them not to rely on the government work, when they are getting closer to their retirement, they should be able to find something else to do with the money they made from the government's job, they should be able to deposit money into another new business that will help them as they get more older.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2420
If you need the government retirement plan in your late age you are fucked anyway. Retiring at 62-64? No fucking way. How about making investments while you were young and getting retired at 50? 40? or even 35? Now that sounds cool. The government can take that retirement plan and stick it to the place where the sun don't shine. Unfortunately for the most people, they need that shit to survive and that's a terrible thing. Now they need to work 2 more years just to what? get retired on a shitty gov plan. You only live once, plan accordingly.

Not everyone thinks this way and that's alright. Not everybody is going to have an early retirement. I have never looked at the statistics but I believe the percentage of people that retire early due to proper planning and investment are very few. There are countries where the government retirement plan works well and I don't see anything wrong with relying on it in that kind of system.
Why would I want to retire at 35 when I can still work? I mean, if I have proper planning and investment, that doesn't stop me from working, does it? For someone like me, that's an entrepreneur, and would most likely be an entrepreneur for the rest of my life, I don't think I'd have an early retirement.  Grin

Depends on the job you are talking about. Many people don't really like their jobs, they don't do enough vacations, get underpaid, work for long hours... These people can't work till their 60's. It is too damn stressful. I am talking about those people. People that need to work to survive this world.

If you are one of those trust fund babies then sure, you can work till your 80's.  Cheesy It won't make a difference to you.
Activity: 476
Merit: 283

Not everyone thinks this way and that's alright. Not everybody is going to have an early retirement. I have never looked at the statistics but I believe the percentage of people that retire early due to proper planning and investment are very few. There are countries where the government retirement plan works well and I don't see anything wrong with relying on it in that kind of system.
Why would I want to retire at 35 when I can still work? I mean, if I have proper planning and investment, that doesn't stop me from working, does it? For someone like me, that's an entrepreneur, and would most likely be an entrepreneur for the rest of my life, I don't think I'd have an early retirement.  Grin
Activity: 1036
Merit: 833
Setting a retirement age for workers can make sense in some ways. It helps to ensure that there are opportunities for younger workers to enter the workforce and advance in their careers. Additionally it can help ensure that the older workers are not forced to work beyond their physical and mental capabilities. There are arguments that retirement age should be more flexible, based on individual circumstances such as health, financial status, and personal preference. Indeed whether or not a retirement age makes sense for every individual. None of us wants to force ourselves to work even we reach the old age.
You need to understand if not everyone in this world are get paid with minimum salary where they work and many people still get paid half of the country's minimum salary. How you can expect those people who are get paid half can save for their future life when it's only enough for their foods and bills? everyone would be happy if they have a lot money, so they can retire earlier, but the reality isn't and they're forced to work until they die.
Activity: 916
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2420

Activity: 616
Merit: 291

~

In my opinion, being able to retire at the age of 60 is considered very old, especially more than that age. How do you want to enjoy retirement, when you don't sleep well enough, you don't eat well, and when you're in your 60s and over, your body's stamina will definitely decrease. So I think, if someone can retire from a job over the age of 60, I think that's a little bit unfair. Because even if forced to work, surely the performance will not be optimal and not as good as people who are under 60 years old. I don't underestimate it, but at that age, in my opinion, it's not worth it to continue working. In your 60s, you should be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor more, playing with your grandchildren, children, and taking vacations. Because in your 60s, it's like an age bonus.

Although in france, the average human age can reach more than 60 years.
In France, the population has an average age of 82.4 years.
Source: https://www.halodoc.com/artikel/8-negara-dengan-penduduk-yang-berusia-panjang#:~:text=3.%20France,age%20population%2082%2C4%20years.

But that's just average, and it's very lucky if someone can touch that age. Because when it comes to age no one knows, because that is the secret above.
Activity: 2352
Merit: 593
I am not even close to retirement but is it better to have it early right?  I really dont know well about retirement but if you move it for few years then it think it is inefficient to the worker as he is too old to do the task and i dont really see a reason moving it to +2 years and i think all of us aiming for early retirement as we know that we will be receiving pension closed to what we earned monthly but still this depends on the government or private sector as other will really force you to retire without pension due to other circumstances but i dont like have additional on retirement age
Activity: 882
Merit: 403
It would be really sad for the people who have already made plans years before the age of 62 to travel and go on vacations with their families. Regardless of the pros and cons that accompany this decision, it would have been better if the people were given the choice on when they want to retire without compromising the benefits that they'd be able to receive. This is because for some, their work has been stressful and detrimental for their health both mentally and physically after enduring it for years while for others, it is what gives meaning to their existence, or should I say, it makes them feel a sense of purpose; that they are still useful and capable. Governments should be more compassionate towards its people so to receive as much compassion as well that would make things better for the whole country. Forcing people to work against their will when they have already dedicated so many years of their lives to their jobs, would only degrade the quantity and quality of work in the long run. Not to mention the negative views that people would have towards their government that should have been taking care of them instead of treating them like slaves.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3002

I think this all depends on how other money is spent in France by the government, that force them to make this change of moving the retirement date back. This is the reason I stress to my clients that they should be saving as if social security (our version of France’s retirement package you speak of here) isn’t going to exist when it comes to time for them to retire. Never count on the government to do it all for you. Plan as if they won’t, and if they do provide retirement of some sort when it comes to your time ..then it’ll be icing on the cake and a much more comfortable retirement.
Activity: 1050
Merit: 109
Experience they say, is never out of fashion. It is important to always tap from the wealth of knowledge of the elderly, because over the years they've had so much techniques and expertise while working for a certain organisation.
 In the field experience for instance, a newly recruited police officer might not be well baked on how to file a case for prosecution  for a court hearing, at this point, it will take an experience police prosecutor to properly guide the new officer on how to appropriately go about the filing of the case for hearing.
So you see that In this case, experience has played a great role.

But a lot of people will argue that, the younger ones are not getting jobs, why are you increasing the service years of those that already gotten jobs, so there is always a two side argument whenever this topics is raised.
agreed - vaild point stated
neither does the hard work - if someone is a hard worker and hosnet worker he would not be failed person
Activity: 518
Merit: 156
Experience they say, is never out of fashion. It is important to always tap from the wealth of knowledge of the elderly, because over the years they've had so much techniques and expertise while working for a certain organisation.
 In the field experience for instance, a newly recruited police officer might not be well baked on how to file a case for prosecution  for a court hearing, at this point, it will take an experience police prosecutor to properly guide the new officer on how to appropriately go about the filing of the case for hearing.
So you see that In this case, experience has played a great role.

But a lot of people will argue that, the younger ones are not getting jobs, why are you increasing the service years of those that already gotten jobs, so there is always a two side argument whenever this topics is raised.
Pages:
Jump to: