Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 100. (Read 387493 times)

legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
August 11, 2014, 12:43:33 PM
Simply, any coins are are Bitcoin forks, will fail. Anything noteworthy on an altcoin, like mini-blockchain, Bitcoin can/may incorporate in the future, leaving said altcoin in the dust.

Seconded - 99.9% of the "features" out there can be incorporated into Bitcoin's codebase in a heartbeat.

Stealth addresses from the genesis block on (an important privacy aspect) are one of the few things they can't do, not without a roll-over to a new genesis block with all outputs being reissued to stealth addresses computed from existing privkeys (read: practically impossible).

For everything else, there's MasterCard Bitcoin.

You two really think that Gavin et al are ever incorporating any major features that are found in an alt in to their 8 billion dollar baby?

If it's not something that solves a direct threat or major problem with Bitcoin I would put my money on 'never'. Or at least not in the next 5-10 years.

Everyone always says it would be easy to for Bitcoin to do xyz, but in reality even the simplest things are bogged down in politics.

That's not to say that the Bitcoin's devs aren't doing a great job at what they set out to do: Develop a stable codebase. Competing in the market as a product isn't how I think Bitcoin is run right now. That could change of course, but its not likely to for a long time if ever.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
August 11, 2014, 11:56:57 AM
Simply, any coins are are Bitcoin forks, will fail. Anything noteworthy on an altcoin, like mini-blockchain, Bitcoin can/may incorporate in the future, leaving said altcoin in the dust.

Seconded - 99.9% of the "features" out there can be incorporated into Bitcoin's codebase in a heartbeat.

Stealth addresses from the genesis block on (an important privacy aspect) are one of the few things they can't do, not without a roll-over to a new genesis block with all outputs being reissued to stealth addresses computed from existing privkeys (read: practically impossible).

For everything else, there's MasterCard Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
August 11, 2014, 11:56:04 AM
Perhaps we should refute those claims specifically. The posters here may interested to hear why XCN is not a major advance and a novel solution (I realise it cannot be , because otherwise there would be more buying interest in the XCN market) to blockchain memory and bloat issues.

There must be a number of other alts addressing those issues more successfully (without the shill peddlers)

Mini blockchain (as I understand it) is basically a bitcoin blockchain with an attached ledger (a utxo set). The utxo set is in sync to the network. You can do this on any bitcoin blockchain by pushing some data in the coinbase tx (via OP_RETURN, or whatever) that contains a merkle proof of your utxo set and the merkle root of it (if you're storing your utxo ledger as a merklelized trie). If the proof or root in your coinbase is invalid, the block will be rejected by the network. I'm not 100% sure where this is stored in the mini blockchain scheme, but this is the idea. Bitcoin SPV clients are already doing something similar, although the majority of them with full node activity (eg Maaku's) aren't really production.

When you have a ledger like this, you can just discard the blocks themselves after a certain amount of time, if not immediately, so long as your ledger is sufficient to provide network consensus 100% of the time. It's a known optimization for Bitcoin (and is in the original Bitcoin whitepaper).

There are a few other minor optimizations present in XCN, like pubkey regen from sig
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
August 11, 2014, 11:50:17 AM
legendary
Activity: 930
Merit: 1010
August 11, 2014, 11:39:32 AM
It got really quiet in this thread. Did I say something sufficiently offensive, shocking, or motivational?  Embarrassed

Here's a genuine Altcon Observation to discuss:

XCN successfully moved to pruned mode, and its price spiked up ~27% from the deep support at 0.00001375.

XCN cracks two hard nuts at once.  Mini-blockchain is ultimate prunability (so a full node may run on your phone).  And withdrawal limits on the account tree enable non-malleable zero-confirmation transactions.

Like E=MC^2, scarcely two dozen people in the world grasp the magnitude of this technology's implications.   Cool

The shilling must end. This is worse than the HashFast thread, where you enticed people into losing millions of dollars. Tongue

Perhaps we should refute those claims specifically. The posters here may interested to hear why XCN is not a major advance and a novel solution (I realise it cannot be , because otherwise there would be more buying interest in the XCN market) to blockchain memory and bloat issues.

There must be a number of other alts addressing those issues more successfully (without the shill peddlers)

I would love to hear why
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129
August 11, 2014, 11:32:31 AM
It got really quiet in this thread. Did I say something sufficiently offensive, shocking, or motivational?  Embarrassed

XCN successfully moved to pruned mode, and its price spiked up ~27% from the deep support at 0.00001375.

XCN cracks two hard nuts at once.  Mini-blockchain is ultimate prunability (so a full node may run on your phone).  And withdrawal limits on the account tree enable non-malleable zero-confirmation transactions.

Like E=MC^2, scarcely two dozen people in the world grasp the magnitude of this technology's implications.   Cool

The shilling must end. This is worse than the HashFast thread, where you enticed people into losing millions of dollars. Tongue

Activity: 518
Merit: 521
August 11, 2014, 10:41:05 AM
Party like it is 1999.

Don't get me drunk because I Would Die 4 U if you are the dancing gorilla that crashed my last high school party (Blazer 3).
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
August 11, 2014, 10:35:03 AM

legendary
amarha
August 11, 2014, 09:44:49 AM
legendary
Activity: 930
Merit: 1010
August 11, 2014, 04:38:43 AM
It got really quiet in this thread. Did I say something sufficiently offensive, shocking, or motivational?  Embarrassed

Haven't you heard that the Malla Summer Retreat is ongoing?  Shocked

The real question is why isn't he there. You could get him drunk and he might divulge all his secret crypto plans that he's alluded to.

September perhaps? Tongue

That's a great idea. Instead of giving him 2BTC, just donate a week at the resort with free drinks...
legendary
amarha
August 11, 2014, 04:17:54 AM
It got really quiet in this thread. Did I say something sufficiently offensive, shocking, or motivational?  Embarrassed

The real question is why isn't he there. You could get him drunk and he might divulge all his secret crypto plans that he's alluded to.

September perhaps? Tongue
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
August 11, 2014, 03:52:35 AM

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 11, 2014, 03:48:41 AM

I'm not fully sold on the claimed advantages for reasons explained earlier nevertheless I find the current valuation attractive, at least short to medium term. There is enough potential to support the current price (something I most certainly did not believe at 10k sat or even 5k sat).

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
August 11, 2014, 03:36:28 AM

XCN cracks two hard nuts at once.  Mini-blockchain is ultimate prunability (so a full node may run on your phone).  And withdrawal limits on the account tree enable non-malleable zero-confirmation transactions.

Like E=MC^2, scarcely two dozen people in the world grasp the magnitude of this technology's implications.   Cool
legendary
Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000
August 11, 2014, 03:29:09 AM

This is a mind twister. Consider it a puzzle for those of you with very high IQ.

And you will kick yourself later when the solution is revealed.   Tongue

The thread is quiet because we are waiting for the answer. Wink
August 11, 2014, 02:50:34 AM
Towards a 12 second block period, and other derivative improvements...

Concur this must be done. But it is not sufficient by itself to solve all the issues it targets.

Note the MBC (mini-blockchain) has a "canonical ordering of transactions in blocks", because the Account Tree must be updated with a canonical ordering so that every full node has the same copy, so that the entire Account Tree doesn't have to be sent with each block solution.

legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129
August 10, 2014, 07:00:32 AM
Has anyone looked at Supercoin's claim to a unique Trustless Anonymous send ?  The presentation is a bit rocky, but I don't know if there is any substance there. Is it feasable as an idea ?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8272890
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
August 10, 2014, 05:24:50 AM
https://github.com/jl777/privateNXT

So is this just a vanilla CryptoNote fork? What does it have to do with NXT? How is this implementing ring signatures in to NXT?

Or is it just the same type of thing that's happening with "BitcoinDark"? Name the product after something established to imply association?

It's a stock CN fork. If you look his commits: https://github.com/jl777/privateNXT/commits/master he's created the genesis block hash on July 3 and nothing else. It's completely stock, unchanged from the CryptoNote "starter kit".
August 10, 2014, 04:19:13 AM
AnonyMint, can you please comment on Open Transactions (OT)

How can I evaluate it efficiently when they don't provide a whitepaper nor technical summary any where that I can find so far.
Activity: 283
Merit: 250
August 10, 2014, 04:15:21 AM
https://github.com/jl777/privateNXT

So is this just a vanilla CryptoNote fork? What does it have to do with NXT? How is this implementing ring signatures in to NXT?

Or is it just the same type of thing that's happening with "BitcoinDark"? Name the product after something established to imply association?

Who cares, nxt was a premined pos scam.
Pages:
Jump to: