Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 97. (Read 387491 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 12, 2014, 01:14:12 AM
It is hard to see any coin other than Monero in a credible position to replace LTC.

This is nonsense.  Litecoin is a BTC fork; Monero isn't.  Monero is for private transactions, Litecoin for public.  Their use cases don't have much overlap.  Maybe you just meant "replace" in terms of 2nd position by market cap.

I explained this earlier. I meant replace in the sense that LTC gets essentially all of its support from being "not Bitcoin." But something else that is "not Bitcoin" in a deeper sense of sharing fewer of its potential flaws is a better alternative and can replace LTC.

The only reason LTC has made it as far as it has in serving this "2nd to Bitcoin" niche is that the alternatives were atrociously worse. There have been few if any legitimately innovative altcoins. It has all been a sea of scams and clones until Monero. It is no coincidence that rpietila's first altcoin buy was Monero. There was really nothing worth buying before.

I actually agree that XCN could possible replace LTC in the "2nd to Bitcoin" niche. That and XMR are the two candidates I see now. I think scaling is likely addressed to a large extent if not entirely by Moore's Law, and I do think that privacy is a feature that gives some incremental support so I give the edge to XMR. It is also objectively ahead of XCN in terms of market cap, liquidity, and recognition by trend setters. Those all matter. Neverthless XCN could still make it.

I don't see any of these replacing BTC unless BTC shoots itself in the foot (or the head), but I also think that could happen.

Activity: 518
Merit: 521
August 12, 2014, 01:10:48 AM
He's also basing our immanent eschaton on a highly-regarded, unfalsifiable source known as Armstrong's Bible Code Nutjob Emulator.  This program is so advanced it can accurately produce numerological nuttery indistinguishable from actual persons of mental imbalance!

If you had any clue, you would know his A.I. is not based on numerology.

Rather it is based on inputting into an A.I. training model, all the data from the history of the world. He claims the largest database that has ever been compiled. He claims he spent $10 million alone just collecting all the archaeological data to produce an accurate silver chart for the Roman empire. He had researchers comb every major newspaper archive, etc.. He input not only price data, but also events such as weather, wars, etc..

The A.I. model discovered cyclical patterns in nature.
August 12, 2014, 01:05:34 AM
This thread's owner (Risto) is religious. The Bible contains specific numeric predictions. However they are stated in a way that there are numerous possibilities that could match. So it can't be a predictor by itself.

As for factual quality, Armstrong's computer predicted in 1992 all those events that transpired since. I have watched his computer continue to predict everything accurately.

As for no one can predict the timing of Jesus's return (of course I'm aware of that verse) that is orthogonal to the fact that Armstrong is predicting major events correctly for the past 2 decades.

As for the applicability to crypto-currency, I think I already explained that I provided this as justification for why we need to "aim big or go home". My point was to introduce some urgency.
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
August 12, 2014, 01:03:17 AM
Sorry that I even mentioned it. Hopefully the thread doesn't devolve into a religious debate.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
August 12, 2014, 01:02:30 AM
Matthew 24:23-27

Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you beforehand. So, if they say to you, ‘Look, he is in the wilderness,’ do not go out. If they say, ‘Look, he is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

Matthew 24:36

"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone. "For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah."

that's for reference to someone's claims that they know when the end of the world should arrive based on the Bible, you should immediately know they have no clue what they are talking about Smiley

AnonyMint isn't just having faith in the Bible (like it says you should in the instructions).  He's also basing our immanent eschaton on a highly-regarded, unfalsifiable source known as Armstrong's Bible Code Nutjob Emulator.  This program is so advanced it can accurately produce numerological nuttery indistinguishable from actual persons of mental imbalance!  That's why you should never mix acrylic with rayon after Easter, don'tcha know!   Tongue
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 12, 2014, 01:01:24 AM
It is hard to see any coin other than Monero in a credible position to replace LTC.

Anonymity != network effects

I don't even base this statement on anonymity necessarily.

Look on the list of candidates. I see no other credible players. Maybe Ethereum at some point, but not yet.

This does not include unknown and/or incomplete and/or unreleased coins. You never know what the future holds. I'm commented on the present playing field, but not ignoring the future.

Activity: 336
Merit: 260
August 12, 2014, 12:55:06 AM
Matthew 24:23-27

Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you beforehand. So, if they say to you, ‘Look, he is in the wilderness,’ do not go out. If they say, ‘Look, he is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

Matthew 24:36

"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone. "For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah."

that's for reference to someone's claims that they know when the end of the world should arrive based on the Bible, you should immediately know they have no clue what they are talking about Smiley
legendary
August 12, 2014, 12:52:36 AM
Risto, mswing from the silver forum we used to belong to is calling for Revelation to begin 2019.

I don't need to base my concern only on the Biblical, as I see Armstrong's computer model is so correlated, and Armstrong's A.I. computer model predicted at at 1990s conference everything that has transpired since.

The sober, factual quality of this thread declines.

Let's discuss Altcoin Observations, not AnonyMint's Bible Code WebBot lunacy nor DTS's butthurt over my profiting from his naivete regarding ACTM.

XCN up 88% in relatively heavy trading...
XMR up 6%, with volume now exceeding BitScamDark!
August 12, 2014, 12:38:47 AM
A biblical wisdom is don't mix the seed planted in the field, i.e. if you are going to do something, do it at sufficient scale to make it economically relevant.

Leviticus 19:19  Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.

Wealth comes from producing more than you need, and trading your excess production to other men.

I grew up in Sacramento, and we had several fruit trees.  We had an apple tree, a plum tree, a lemon bush, a pomegranate tree, a peach tree, and a grape vine.  Each tree could produce more than a small family of four could eat.  But the excess was not really enough to go into business to trade to others in a reliable, profit making way.

The Bible says to plant a grove of trees, all of one kind--and not a grove of trees of different kinds.   This would require planning & specialization in order to trade away the excess to others, in order to reap the benefit of the harvest season.
August 12, 2014, 12:29:59 AM
About belief in God eliminating any concerns or need to take action, I am reminded of the story of God sending a rescue team to a guy stranded in a flood and he refused because he believed in God, then a boat, then a helicopter. I guess his destiny was directly to the afterlife. We have to live this life while we are here. We do the best we can to promote prosperity.

I was merely accentuating my point that I am not idolizing Bitcoin as the mountain that needs to be conquered. I believe we face a greater issue. Perhaps crypto-currency may play a more important role than we are currently aiming for. Or maybe it is irrelevant in the broader picture.

A better question would be, does Anonymint derive his conclusions from his possible biblical beliefs?

No. As the Bible says, I need two or three witnesses. So I look for other science, such as Armstrong's computer model.

P.S. those who think Armstrong's Socrates computer model is nonsense, look at this prediction it made in 1992 for the 2007 crash and ZIRP (negative real interest rates):

http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/06/06/was-socrates-surprised-by-negative-rates/

August 12, 2014, 12:23:37 AM
Just wondering, not out to crucify anyone. I'm curious because I find Anonymint to be a very intelligent person, but the constant biblical references had me confused. As to their relevance to any of the subject matter discussed on this forum. As to the need to inject religious content into a cryptography discussion.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
August 12, 2014, 12:22:59 AM
Risto, mswing from the silver forum we used to belong to is calling for Revelation to begin 2019.

I mention that here to give weight to the concern I expressed in my prior post, that we not see Bitcoin nor fantastical dreams of wealth as our primary threat model and objective.
Sorry, need to clarify, you believe in God?

It shouldn't matter if you believe in God, unless that believe leads you to your conclusions.

A better question would be, does Anonymint derive his conclusions from his possible biblical beliefs?
August 12, 2014, 12:22:57 AM
I edited my prior post to explain I don't need to rely only on the Biblical to express that concern.

I'd rather keep my theological orientation private (it is more complex than believe or not believe).
August 12, 2014, 12:21:02 AM

I mention that here to give weight to the concern I expressed in my prior post, that we not see Bitcoin nor fantastical dreams of wealth as our primary threat model and objective.
Sorry, need to clarify, you believe in God?
August 12, 2014, 12:18:49 AM

I don't need to base my concern only on the Biblical, as I see Armstrong's computer model is so correlated, and Armstrong's A.I. computer model predicted at at 1990s conference everything that has transpired since. I watched in 2011-12 as Armstrong predicted:

1. Gold's decline.

2. USA stock market advance.

3. Ukraine as the hotspot.

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
August 12, 2014, 12:04:13 AM
XCN is sitting here waiting to kill Visa, we just have to ask...

Why people are giving a known scammer iCEBREAKER the time of day is beyond me, it's obvious he has moved on from hashfast and now onto the next project he will leech onto, being CryptoNite. In fact I will stay away from CryptoNite just because such a scammer is currently the CryptoNite number one PR man.

At least when I was invested with ActiveMining I told new people not to ever invest, unlike what iCEBREAKER did for iCEDRILL, I know loads of people that invested because of iCEBREAKER, and lost thousands.
August 11, 2014, 11:31:55 PM
Blockchain bloat is a desirable feature for Bitcoin because it means mining is centralized which is exactly what TPTB want, and so they will continue to endorse and push Bitcoin for as long as centralization isn't fixed.

The threat those controllers face is (as is their dilemma with the IPO for Ethereum) that centralization doesn't maximize network efforts (scaling), because as Peter R showed, the price (or marketcap) is correlated to N squared, where N is some proxy for the number of users.

Yet they prefer to keep crypto-currency narrow in scope and adoption, so the world has to accept their digital fiat. There are many powerful vested interests such as the banks.

Simply, any coins are are Bitcoin forks, will fail. Anything noteworthy on an altcoin, like mini-blockchain, Bitcoin can/may incorporate in the future, leaving said altcoin in the dust.

Nothing will be incorporated into Bitcoin, unless and until there is a significant threat to market share. But if ever there is such a serious threat, it will be too late for Bitcoin to recover (due to the upstart having a much higher exponential rate of growth otherwise it wouldn't have happened). I did some rough curve matching and posited that Bitcoin is growing log-logistically, not logistically.

The $trillion question is will such an altcoin emerge. Anything less in my view is "just playing". I believe the future of the world is at-stake. (Fuck I have bad health today, after some strong days!)

Stealth addresses from the genesis block on (an important privacy aspect) are one of the few things they can't do, not without a roll-over to a new genesis block with all outputs being reissued to stealth addresses computed from existing privkeys (read: practically impossible).

Where can I learn more about this? I am unfamiliar, at least how your described it.

For everything else, there's MasterCard Bitcoin.

Afair, MasterCard has insoluble technical issues around atomicity. I think we need a new block chain to do Turing-complete correctly.

Also, it would be politically impossible to change the maximum number of Bitcoins (and hence a change in the block reward schedule).

And thus you can never get 0 tx fees in Bitcoin.

To even host a full node in a few years will likely consume terabytes to petabytes of data in a month -- this goes for Bitcoin, let alone any of the alts. If you can provide this bandwidth, you can be a full node. As it stands, without running dedicated hosts on corporate connections, most people will never be able to run full nodes, regardless of even their storage space. The real issue restricting centralization is bandwidth, and I doubt this will ever be solved, because you need all the block and tx data that is shipped out across the network. Gavin's latest proposal is a way to optimize it to perhaps 20-50% less bandwidth usage (aside from making syncing much more rapid), but the bandwidth issue still exists and is severe.

Terabytes are available now on cheap VPS accounts. Bandwidth is scaling by Moore's law too.

Decentralization doesn't necessarily mean everyone runs a full node, rather than at least one or two pools don't control > 50% of the hashrate, as is the case with Bitcoin.

There are problems with both. Mining at least, has some incentive. There is currently zero incentive to run a node at all, and the number of nodes has been dropping even as usage has increased.

This is the elephant in room (currently insoluble) problem. The largest Bitcoin pool doesn't charge fees because it is subsidized by the largest ASIC miner.

Something interesting that's happening is that alternative Bitcoin implementations are popping up, from Conformal's btcd to Bits of Proof's enterprise Bitcoin server and so on. If there is a compelling feature and enough demand for it, and the Bitcoin developers are too narrow-minded/resolute/whatever, one of those alternative implementations will offer it.

That is unless as I (and I believe smooth?) argued upthread, the large pools are really in control, given the consensus doesn't want to split Bitcoin into two or more competing forks.

Thus I believe Gavin is not in control and he can be spanked if he gets out-of-line. I bet he won't implement any feature without consulting with the pools and other of powers-that-be.

Even better - a lot of the seemingly "revolutionary" stuff being done in many altcoins can be implemented in an alternative client due to the flexibility of Bitcoin's pay-to-hash system, and existing mining pools can continue running the "regular" Bitcoin implementation and mine those transactions without even knowing about their cleverness.

Any examples?

Anonymity != network effects

Anonymity is a feature a few people want right now. It is a not a feature that catapults you to compete with Bitcoin.

The capital that is going to try to hide from the coming G20 capital controls and wealth hunt will arguably not buy into an altcoin that is not reasonably mainstream.

Neither is XCN's MBC. Nor XCN's 0 confirmations feature which I argued is insecure in the MBC thread (unless it changed or I wasn't completely informed at the time I studied it).
legendary
August 11, 2014, 10:50:38 PM
LTC also has the 1MB blocksize limit so it cannot be a VISA-killer. I would not underestimate the potential of XMR to scale to VISA like transaction rates, because of Moore's law.

As an optimistic extropian type, I am more likely to overestimate Moore's law.  Tongue

Regardless, ring signatures are currently believed intrinsically incompatible with mini-blockchains, so there is a substantial window of opportunity for XCN to kill Visa before XMR's maxi-blockchain bloat is accommodated at the portable personal banking device level.

The objection to Visa-scaling full nodes on smartphones is bandwidth, but that is also increasing rapidly, and we haven't even began to use nano-transaction powered ad hoc mesh networking on FOSS/FOSH phones...

When such SnowdenPhones replace our current ObamaPhones, we can all run full Monero nodes.  Until that time, XCN works just fine:

Scaling up to 6 billion people and micro transactions (more frequent transactions) might present a scaling problem. I've looked at Lamport signatures schemes that can verify 100,000+ transactions per second on a single i7 cpu. Since verifying nodes tend to be pools with considerably more resources (amortized over a large amount of hashrate), then a 10 - 100 cpu farm (or a Tilera 64 core cpu) is not unfathomable without destroying decentralization of pools.

Long-term the solution is simple. An ASIC for verification will scale sufficiently to 6 billion and micro transactions.

In short, no problem! Mini-block chain addresses the problem of block chain size and its impact on decentralization of mining.

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
August 11, 2014, 10:28:25 PM

This is nonsense.  Litecoin is a BTC fork; Monero isn't.  Monero is for private transactions, Litecoin for public.  Their use cases don't have much overlap.  Maybe you just meant "replace" in terms of 2nd position by market cap.

Monero competes with Bitcoin in terms of a heavy footprint vs robust features trade-off.  Litecoin competes with Cryptonite, for the daily use role of a Visa-killer.

BTC and XMR blockchain space is like gold and naturally commands higher transaction fees than more scalable and convenient complements.

XMR shows the most potential to be a BTC killer.
XCN shows the most potential to be a LTC killer.

That's why I hlod plenty of both!   Cool

LTC also has the 1MB blocksize limit so it cannot be a VISA-killer. I would not underestimate the potential of XMR to scale to VISA like transaction rates, because of Moore's law.
legendary
August 11, 2014, 10:19:56 PM

Monero competes with Bitcoin in terms of a heavy footprint vs robust features trade-off.  Litecoin competes with Cryptonite, for the daily use role of a Visa-killer.

BTC and XMR blockchain space is like gold and naturally commands higher transaction fees than more scalable and convenient complements.

XMR shows the most potential to be a BTC killer.
XCN shows the most potential to be a LTC killer.

That's why I hlod plenty of both!   Cool
Pages:
Jump to: