Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 114. (Read 387493 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
August 02, 2014, 05:31:57 PM
I agree with smooth. I run a gambling service and this is a very practical concern to me. Some people IRL might not accept coins that come from me [...]
Your post means you agree fungibility is necessary and a coin isn't a coin if it isn't fungible.

I was attacking fools claiming it is ok not to be fungible, not people worried it might isn't.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Partly I agree with your worry, but actually... you know, there's plausible deniability: if they can't demonstrate you are associated with someone, you "should" be ok. If you aren't ok, then something is wrong at another level, and you have bigger problems anyway.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
August 02, 2014, 05:30:38 PM
I run a gambling service...

Yet you don't provide services in XMR?  I am somewhat puzzled.

Cheesy
LuckyBit is currently an on-chain game, in that aspect it is similar to the good old famous satoshidice. Technically, we cannot run the same game with Monero (thank the anonymity!).
But, we're working towards a new off-chain version (similar to just-dice). Once we have that, I'm seriously considering a Monero version of it, no kidding.

EDIT: I assumed people are familiar with the on-chain, off-chain distinction. On-chain means you actually send a transaction to place a bet, off-chain means you deposit on a website and then play with "virtual money", and withdraw when you decide. Open blockchain.info and look at the Latest Transactions, you have a good chance to see one or two LuckyBit transactions going through Smiley These are bets, with payouts returned to the sending address, that is why we cannot run it with the CN protocole.
Bitgoblin
August 02, 2014, 05:28:02 PM
Small high frequency transactions do not need to be handled by a blockchain, they can be performed under any number of microtrust based services which already exist and which can easily be created.
Yeah, like inputs.io!

That's not a name we like reminded of.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

I was thinking more like steam, iTunes, sony entertainment network, envato, etcetera Smiley

Sure, this makes sense, but they are still very small niches, surrounded by the vast main network: they wouldn't make any practical difference to the size of the real blockchain.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
August 02, 2014, 05:25:34 PM
I run a gambling service...

Yet you don't provide services in XMR?  I am somewhat puzzled.
legendary
August 02, 2014, 05:22:37 PM
Altcoins provide a valuable role to serve the unbanked and specialty sectors.

Comedy gold.  Thank you.
legendary
Still wild and free
August 02, 2014, 05:19:35 PM
VISA-scale

Small high frequency transactions do not need to be handled by a blockchain, they can be performed under any number of microtrust based services which already exist and which can easily be created.
Yeah, like inputs.io!

Even without any direct legal issues, fungibility may be an issue at the point of acceptance.

Would you accept bitcoins from a known drug dealer or terrorist?

I would not. I would also be reluctant to accept them from someone I didn't believe to be so careful about not doing so.

Fungibility is an essential property of any currency. If it is not fungible, it is not a currency. Following your logic, plumbers should not repair drug dealers pipes, waiters should not serve them at the restaurant, etc, because their US$ is not the same as any other US$. The issue is if you accepted currency for legal goods or services, if it is legal then there is nothing wrong with the money you've received.
+1000

Anyone who attacks fungibility – and to my dismay there's plenty of people who do that – is a clueless fool randomly blabbering about things he doesn't even try to understand.

I must be a "clueless fool randomly blabbering about things I don't even try to understand" Smiley

I agree with smooth. I run a gambling service and this is a very practical concern to me. Some people IRL might not accept coins that come from me, fearing in the next couple of months/years they would need to justify the coins are fully legit to some authorities. I'm not talking about newbs, but people who understand how bitcoin works, and what are the legal implications surrounding it now or in the near future. If you can get a 100% clean coin from an exchange for price X, or a coin tainted with whatever activity is not explictly fully legal everywhere on the globe, also for price X, which one do you choose?

Fungibility is broken in bitcoin, because of the perfect transparency. There is no "if the currency is legal there is nothing wrong with any coin", at least not in the near future. We are talking about a decentralized currency with very dissimilar and quickly changing legislations, so the opinion of the basic user is pretty much the only thing that matters. Note also that this argument of "legality brings fungibility", is fallacious in that legislation cannot fix technical weaknesses. We don't experience these issues with fiat simply because the basic user has no way to know what is the history of a note, and has no reason to fear other might know it and take him as responsible, so the analogy with USD is worthless.

Many people seem to just starting to find out how much bitcoin is transparent when they were actually assuming or expecting the opposite. Perceived fungibility (which the lack of is technically correct, and which again is the only thing that matters) is decreasing as this "discovery" keeps increasing.
legendary
August 02, 2014, 05:19:26 PM
Fungibility is an essential property of any currency. If it is not fungible, it is not a currency. Following your logic, plumbers should not repair drug dealers pipes, waiters should not serve them at the restaurant, etc, because their US$ is not the same as any other US$. The issue is if you accepted currency for legal goods or services, if it is legal then there is nothing wrong with the money you've received.

My logic is not at issue.  At issue is the logic applied by courts of law.  I don't agree with it, I merely try to anticipate its consequences. 

The U.S. government does not consider bitcoin to be a currency.  It considers bitcoin to be property, a commodity.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Bitmark Developer
August 02, 2014, 05:10:13 PM
VISA-scale

Yeah, like inputs.io!

That's not a name we like reminded of.

I was thinking more like steam, iTunes, sony entertainment network, envato, etcetera Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 02, 2014, 05:06:35 PM
In the event of a dollar collapse type black swan, Bitcoin would either have to scale to petabyte levels and/or be relieved of less important transactions by XCN.

I see another possibility which is simply many separate blockchains, along with highly liquid and safe trading between them (probably decentralized). If bitcoin can't scale up and there is huge demand for crypto then what will happen is that some number of alts (and maybe that number is very high) will also gain in value and liquidity.

i.e. scale horizontally.

EDIT: regarding XCN, the people who actually understand the technology better than you and me have weighed in and said that it adds little if anything on top of bitcoin-type chains with SPV.
legendary
August 02, 2014, 05:03:43 PM
Even without any direct legal issues, fungibility may be an issue at the point of acceptance.

I would not. I would also be reluctant to accept them from someone I didn't believe to be so careful about not doing so.

Fungibility is an essential property of any currency.

We agree on that part. Traceability is an obstacle.

legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1077
^ Will code for Bitcoins
August 02, 2014, 04:55:33 PM

Bitgoblin
August 02, 2014, 04:54:45 PM
VISA-scale

Yeah, like inputs.io!

+1000

Anyone who attacks fungibility – and to my dismay there's plenty of people who do that – is a clueless fool randomly blabbering about things he doesn't even try to understand.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
August 02, 2014, 04:49:44 PM
Maybe it would have taken a giant server to host a TB block chain 10+ years ago but these days that can be accomplished quite easily. And it's only going to get better as time goes on.

AnonyMint's argument centered around scaling to the petabyte level. I think it's safe say that's not going to happen with Bitcoin.

I like the idea of a mini-blockchain and it's nice to see some new technology. But I'm not really convinced that's really enough to do it at this point.

I'm glad you're not yet convinced minichains are "really enough to do it at this point."

Nobody (except Bitfreak and Cation) should already be convinced by a coin which has only taken the first few baby steps towards proving the promise of it's underlying technological innovation.

But aren't we all enthralled by the enticing *possibility* that XCN may live up to hype?  Exploding volume on bter says 'yes we are.'

Yes, 1TB of storage is trivial, bandwidth and RAM somewhat less so.  But it is not "safe to say" Bitcoin usage will not expode to "Visa levels" in the event of some black swan (I'm looking at you, Mr. End of Petrodollar Hegemony).

In the event of a dollar collapse type black swan, Bitcoin would either have to scale to petabyte levels and/or be relieved of less important transactions by XCN.

Remember, only two years ago people thought it 'safe to say" Bitcoin would never reach $1000...   Wink
legendary
August 02, 2014, 04:47:13 PM

These articles may be misleading.  The body of court practice and precedent is large and complex, but fairly clear.  How it will be applied to crypto is less clear, but the natural and direct application can be quite disruptive.

legendary
August 02, 2014, 04:45:13 PM
Yes.  Monero had one of the most fair launches of any coin.

I definitely would not say that.  The botnet problem is understated if anything.

I was there for Monero launch on the first or second day and got 0 coins mining with two CPUs.  There's just too much CPU power out there for really any CPU coin to be considered "fair" in the current environment.  Same thing happened with that Cryptonite coin.  Some guy posting about how he mined with 30 CPUs on the second day and got 0 coins.  I mean come on, just how many CPUs is one supposed to own to be able to mine a CPU coin?  These things are just charity events for botnets at the moment.

I've mined tons of GPU coins at launch before and even if you only put a single GPU on them, you would still probably get a block.  Thirty CPUs and no block for Cryptonite launch just indicates an invalid mining scheme.  Botnet resources are just far too high for low market cap coins.  It would be much less of a problem for a coin with a large market cap, but all this tells you is that it's completely pointless to launch an "altcoin" utilizing CPU mining instead of GPU.

Considering there is one miner who has been mining (and is still mining) almost 25% of the coins this should not be too surprising.

http://minichain.info/address/CNCzEBdvxzKSsGGdeqdGv17zuyWLeyAFvw

Interesting it appears he hasn't sold any, although that could be a bug in the block explorer.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
August 02, 2014, 04:18:42 PM
Quote from: aminorex
My estimation is that outright scams (whether via scamcoins or hacks or fractional reserve, what-have-you) are the largest value-drain on the BTC economy, by two orders of magnitude.

Altcoins provide a valuable role to serve the unbanked and specialty sectors.

"Borg coin has 500,000,000 coins to be minted. 500 million being based on the mass ton of the borg trans warp ship with a maximum rated speed of 29.968 warp factor with advanced trans warp drive. The fastest trans warp drive ship ever to exist. Join the collective now."
legendary
Still wild and free
August 02, 2014, 04:06:42 PM
Yes, gmaxwell explains it well (nice analogy!).

I don't believe myself bitcoin will ever reach VISA-scale. I don't believe it is what we should look at, even if everything should be done to make bitcoin and other crypto networks payments as efficient as possible, of course.

But for any alt popping up with strong claims involving VISA-scale somehow (not necessarily mentioned explicitly), the blockchain size on disk is far from being the major problem.
Let's exagerate that view to make it clear: it's a bit like someone claiming "hey guys, my coin scales better than yours, once compiled, the executable for the wallet is only 150KB instead of 1MB! More people can run it on their computer!". Who cares?
Bitmark Developer
August 02, 2014, 04:04:38 PM
VISA-scale

Small high frequency transactions do not need to be handled by a blockchain, they can be performed under any number of microtrust based services which already exist and which can easily be created. Later, when applicable, solutions like sidechain can be added.

With most new technologies people try to apply it to everything, replacing what already exists, needlessly, turning something simple and effective in to a bloated mess.

Often approaching a technology with the question "how does this fit in with what already exists?" produces a far better result.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
August 02, 2014, 03:52:08 PM
The mini-blockchain idea is an undermining in terms of security. This is ok, as long as it might nevertheless fits well somewhere in a broad range of different security/scalability trade-offs. However I see two obvious concerns to make it deserves a meaningful place on that range at the moment.

The first concern is that it could be achieved with something based on the bitcoin blockchain, in fact all these trade-offs could be all linked and based on bitcoin, you don't need a completely separated altcoin to achieve that particular security/scalability trade-off.
The second concern is that the scalability in terms of storage of the blockchain, is a non-issue. Even for bitcoin. Even for cryptonote if it takes 10 times the bitcoin size. The real challenges are the bandwidth and computational power required to receive/check/broadcast transactions in a VISA-scale crypto network.

Anything that plays with the ratio security/scalability can be based on the same intrinsic currency (and most likely it will be bitcoin). For something else to be actually really needed, you must completely go out of that range of security/scalability trade-offs and sick for something fundamentally differents. Yes, Monero, I'm looking at you.

binaryFate, I enjoy your posts and I'm quoting yous because it is the latest to mention VISA scale.  I found the following interesting.  It comes from the most recent(?) discussions on the 1 MB block size limit. 

The bolded is mine as well as a video link illustrating gmaxwell's point Grin

If Bitcoin is merely a high powered money for international settlement between large commercial entities, it will have failed in its mission of providing the world with a decentralized electronic cash. Bitcoin has to be accessible
Without commenting on the rest, the logic doesn't follow here.  It is not necessary that not doing soda pop buys directly in the Bitcoin blockchain means that Bitcoin hasn't provided people with decenteralized electronic cash.

but I don't see any reason why Bitcoin can't match Visa's
The Bitcoin blockchain is a very different system from the visa payment work which makes very different trade-offs. It will always be the case that in some respects the bitcoin blockchain doesn't match visa, just as much as visa fails to match Bitcoin.  If you insist your floor wax be a tasty desert topping you may get something which is the worst of all worlds instead.[/b]

https://screen.yahoo.com/shimmer-floor-wax-000000185.html
Bitmark Developer
August 02, 2014, 03:37:28 PM
Quote from: aminorex
I think all these systems are immature, and inevitably supplanted by a successor.  I'm not sure which generation/feature-set will provide a stable platform, and I don't care to bet on a guess.  For more I would have to read the stuff.  If I'm wrong about something fundamental, I probably should read the stuff, because writing it off may have been a mistake.  Otherwise, I saved time.

The problem is not governments shutting down crypto.  The problem is governments taking over crypto, and destroying its useful features, such as finite supply and transactional privacy and freedom.

Privacy is extremely non-linear; in the extreme case, it is nearly a kronecker delta.  Network effects follow power laws, so they generally dominate over usability factors, but are in turn, ceteris paribus, dominated by the privacy factor.

This is the courtesan channel.  We have standards.

You cannot get alts unless you first get BTC ... Consequently, there is more demand for BTC.  No dilution is even possible until alts are usable in cases where they displace BTC.

My estimation is that outright scams (whether via scamcoins or hacks or fractional reserve, what-have-you) are the largest value-drain on the BTC economy, by two orders of magnitude.

I named fraud and related property crime as one such factor which I think would overwhelmingly dominate over any impact of altcoin price fluctuations, taken as an isolated aggregate factor.

The body of court practice and precedent is large and complex, but fairly clear.  How it will be applied to crypto is less clear, but the natural and direct application can be quite disruptive.

My major complaint about XCN is that it isn't interoperable and convertible with BTC.   It should have been done that way.

It's nice to read, something worth reading.
Jump to: